AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-10-23, 21:30   Link #1
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Shin Sekai Yori - Manga Discussion Thread

Welcome to the Shin Sekai Yori - Manga Discussion Thread! To provide an outlet for readers of the manga to discuss without spoiling anime only viewers, this thread has been created. Please note that at this time, the manga is not fully translated or finished, so please be mindful of spoiler discussion.

Enjoy!
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 15:07   Link #2
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
So I decided to look up on the manga and see this cover for it. So I'm guessing the manga is more ecchi oriented than the anime and LN?
Old 2012-10-26, 16:00   Link #3
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura View Post
So I decided to look up on the manga and see this cover for it. So I'm guessing the manga is more ecchi oriented than the anime and LN?
From what I've heard and seen, yeah, that seems to be the case.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 11:09   Link #4
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Not really, the manga takes the opposite extreme of the anime. The sterilized the politically correct plot, ignoring all the gritty details that make the whole setting work; while the manga focuses on those details, assuming familiarity with the plot itself.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 12:45   Link #5
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Not really, the manga takes the opposite extreme of the anime. The sterilized the politically correct plot, ignoring all the gritty details that make the whole setting work; while the manga focuses on those details, assuming familiarity with the plot itself.
But it is more ecchi oriented. Those scenes are not only more detailed, but way more sexualized. Furthermore, there's a focus on yuri scenes too, while the BL scenes are nowhere to be seen. Clearly this is funservice to a very specific demographic more than a different artistic take on the story.

Not the it matters to me. I'm just saying.
Old 2012-11-17, 18:53   Link #6
Mura
Now or Never

Just got done reading the first four chapters.

Spoiler:
Old 2012-11-17, 21:21   Link #7
Malkuth
Banned

Yes, the plot and character development flows a lot better in the manga than in the anime, despite the fact that they have overextended the yuri parts.
Old 2012-11-17, 21:31   Link #8
Mura
Now or Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Yes, the plot and character development flows a lot better in the manga than in the anime, despite the fact that they have overextended the yuri parts.
Overextended? Well I suppose they didn't have to go that far to show Maria and Saki's relationship but I didn't mind it either. Well, can't wait to see whats up in volume two regardless.
Old 2012-11-17, 22:17   Link #9
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura View Post
Overextended? Well I suppose they didn't have to go that far to show Maria and Saki's relationship but I didn't mind it either. Well, can't wait to see whats up in volume two regardless.
I don't mind it either, but it was the perfect excuse for many to degrade both the manga and the its readers... and truth to be told it wasn't necessary, the rest of the material worked fine... well, a lot better than the anime at least.
Old 2012-11-25, 03:25   Link #10
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Just downloaded Vol 1 1-4 and damn.... Yeah, the yuri...... But Shun is still her true interest... Shun is pretty awesome here!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 05:52   Link #11
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Except, of course, the part where it ignores most of what is actually interesting in the novel and inserts stuff that never happened in the book, screws with characterization, adds lots of gratuituous hot two girl action just for the sake of it... anything else?
I obviously disagree, but I have just started reading the novel. The extra scenes help with understanding the setting and characters better, in between.

Quote:
(Also: only hot two girl action. The part with Satoru and Saki? never happens in the manga. The whole thing with Satoru and Shun? I haven't seen the relevant chapter and I'm not interested enough to find out, but I'll eat my favorite cap if it is even implied, let alone shown. Even though it's kinda-sorta very important.)
They haven't reached that point in the story. Should they tone it down though, I will obviously reevaluate my opinion, as happened with the anime after the 5th episode.

Quote:
If you like the manga better for whatever reason that's cool, but it's not a faithful adaptation at all. And while I say there are adaptations that can capture the mood of the original even if they're not very faithful adaptations, this manga? is not one of them.
The story flows a lot better, character designs are more detailed, and the action sequences make sense... those three are total failures in the anime.
Old 2012-12-01, 06:25   Link #12
deadsea

manga is disgusting, definitely has good points, but can not find a good combination it moves from highly sexual scenes to which they devote much time to fully serious scenes or emotional impact, does not convince me.
is like "hi, how are you? -> sex ---> I feel sad -> sex ---> good morning! ---> sex"
I pity the approach that gave the manga, since it could be a wonderful adaptation.

Last edited by deadsea; 2012-12-09 at 10:08.
deadsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 22:42   Link #13
NoemiChan
Banned

...any news for chapter 5 translation?
Old 2012-12-09, 16:26   Link #14
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I just checked out the manga for this.

I wouldn't say its bad (in fact, in some ways, I prefer it to the anime), but it reminds me of some of the reasons why I generally prefer anime to manga.

What I find is that manga has a tendency to make everything louder. For example, the manga's version of Saki's school-teacher is basically Iskander airdropped straight in from Fate/Zero.

Of course, that's much cooler than what we have in the anime, so I approve in this one instance. But Shin Sekai Yori is so overwhelmed with such "coolness", that I feel like I'm reading a Bleach-esque Shounen manga rather than a dark, serious, sci-fi story for adults set in the future.

The manga is basically...

100 times "cooler" than the anime
1,000 times "more moe" than the anime
10,000 times "more yuri" than the anime
The way the characters feel about each other is as subtle as an Acme anvil.
It's "Blushes Ahoy!" with Ships more obvious than The Titanic, equipped with Sparkling Eyes Anchors. And there's more shouting than you see in a mid-80s superhero comic book.

If Shin Sekai Yori the novel was a person, and you stuffed him full of steroids and heavy drugs, the result would be this manga.

I can definitely see why someone would prefer the manga to the anime. But for me, the manga makes it so over-the-top that it's like Grade A Shounen cheese. It's fun to read, but the anime just feels more mature to me.

And yeah, the Shin Sekai Yori manga plays the narrative straight (more than I thought it would, actually) until you get to the sex. Then it's like it decides to go full-fledge hentai, being utterly indistinguishable from an actual H-Doujin.
Old 2012-12-09, 18:30   Link #15
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

I just checked the manga (since it seems it is playing catch up with the anime, which for me is pretty unusual) and liked the fact that even though it is the same story, it feels/looks quite different. In a sense it makes me realize that the anime is working with a limited budget (removing three of the main characters from the robber colony story arc cannot be explained otherwise) and shows vividly things that the anime takes for granted (Reiko's death).

I can bet that when they reach to the BL parts they will tone them down (as in showing only the dialogue and showing Saki's facial reaction only) which I understand, if there is a well established demographic buyer for a manga it would be suicide to ignore that.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 20:32   Link #16
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
In a sense it makes me realize that the anime is working with a limited budget (removing three of the main characters from the robber colony story arc cannot be explained otherwise) and shows vividly things that the anime takes for granted (Reiko's death).
No, actually that was just the mangaka expanding the story on his own. Reiko's death was never shown or mentioned in the book either, for a reason, and only Satoru and Saki were present on the bakenezumi adventure. Shun, Maria and Mamoru were AWOL during the whole incident (actually, hiding in the grass and stuff). Again, before anyone thinks the manga is faithful, never mind more faithful to the book: it's not. It's pretty much "loosely inspired" by the source material.

Quote:
I can bet that when they reach to the BL parts they will tone them down (as in showing only the dialogue and showing Saki's facial reaction only) which I understand, if there is a well established demographic buyer for a manga it would be suicide to ignore that.
Ha. My bet is it will be ignored altogether, like the little what-could-have-been between Saki and Satoru was ignored in favor of MOAR HOT TWO GIRLS ACTION. (Now, I don't have anything against hot two girls action, but seriously, come on.)

>Triple_R
There's also how the manga turns poor Satoru into a non-entity. :E And seriously, Shun as the manly macho action guy?
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 21:06   Link #17
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
:E And seriously, Shun as the manly macho action guy?
That would be trespassing into Saki's role
Old 2012-12-10, 21:23   Link #18
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
That would be trespassing into Saki's role
Far better, Shun's an Earth bender.
Old 2012-12-10, 21:50   Link #19
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

*read the manga*

OMG! What is this?!

It's like reading To-Love-Ru with moar mystery and yuri action!
Old 2012-12-10, 21:55   Link #20
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
*read the manga*

OMG! What is this?!

It's like reading To-Love-Ru with moar mystery and yuri action!
You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Yuri Zone!