AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-08-08, 18:18   Link #61
cloudedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper
Wow Yuyu FANS!

I've been collecting its Chinese language manga, and unfortunately, I only have up to no. 15. T_____T

I like Yoshihiro Togashi's works (I also love HXH). Does he have any new ones?

*looks at list*

What no Astroboy?!
If you can read chinese... then I really recommend a 3 vol. manga series by Yoshihiro Togashi called Level E. It was drawn in between Yu Yu and HxH... Despite being only 3 vol. long it has a really really really great/hilarious/little weird story... especially if you like Sci Fi and Black Humor... Really amazing work, and one of a kind.

And unfortunately, HxH is his latest work (and he's stop working since Feb. due to offically health reasons... real reason being he's lazy) HxH's manga is now at vol. 23 in Japan/Chinese.

Any of his older series prior to Yu Yu isn't that good... since he was still a developing artist then...
cloudedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 02:12   Link #62
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Tak and C.A.: I miss Amcross too. T.T

But I thought Macross 7 was awesome. Basara Nekki is still one of my favorite, if not my number 1 favorite, anime character.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2006-08-09 at 02:47.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 02:41   Link #63
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

スカール リーダーより各機! フォーメーション EF9 だ !!
(Skull Leader yori kakuki! Formation EF9 da!!/ Skull Leader to all units! Formation EF9!!)

Focker is just too cool.

過激にファイヤ―!!
(Kageki ni FAIYA!!)

Basara is also my one of favourite male anime characters.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 14:10   Link #64
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

*Sniff* Yeah, its a rare series where 'grunts' actually mattered, or when heroes exclaim at the numbers of enemies they had to face.

Fleet ships were not mere 'gun-soakers' in Macross, they, like grunts, actually provide practical support for the main characters. Macross gave me a feeling of desperation, of mankind's hope for survival, of something at stake.

You really don't see that in Gundam. Not SEED, not Destiny, where a Freedom/Destiny/Justice Gundam is pretty much equavalent to a Zentraedi Fleet of 5,000 warships.

Squads, as we have previously discussed, work in teams. Duels were rare. In fact, that whole Myrian vs. Max thing was the only duel in the entire franchise!

Even the main character, Hikaru, gets that much glory. He was no new-type/SEED ace, and had to constantly work with his collegues in order to achieve the basic neccessity for survival. What a classic.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 18:42   Link #65
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
1) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
2) Turn A Gundam
3) Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
4) Space Runaway Ideon
5) Legend Of The Galactic Heroes
6) SDF Macross
7) Tenkuu No Escaflowne
8) Eureka 7
9) Metal Armor Dragonar
10) Giant Robo
11) Yu Yu Hakusho
12) Heavy Metal L-Gaim
13) Aura Battler Dunbine
14) Mobile Fighter God Gundam
15) Martian Successor Nadesico
16) Black Jack
17) Mobile Suit Gundam
18) Char's Counterattack
19) Full Metal Alchemist
20) After War Gundam X
21) King Of Braves Gaogaigar
22) Keroro Gunsou
23) Bleach
24) Gunbuster
25) Rahxephon
26) Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
27) Mobile Suit Gundam F91
28) Super Bestial Machine God Dancougar
29) Tekkaman Blade
30) Mazinkaiser
31) Shin Getter Robo Armageddon
32) Overman King Gainer
33) Brain Powerd
34) Macross Plus
35) Macross 7
36) The Big O
37) Last Exile
38) Megazone 23
39) Super Robot Wars The Animation
40) Kimagure Orange Road
41) Elfen Lied
42) Yuusha Raideen
43) Slayers
44) Gear Fighter Dendoh
45) El Hazard
46) Mushishi
47) Sentou Mecha Xabungle
48) Ranma 1/2
49) Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team
50) New Mobile Report Gundam Wing
51) Round Vernian Vifam
52) Doraemon
53) Captain Tsubasa
54) My Neighbor Totoro
55) Nadia: Secret of Blue Water
56) Space Cruiser Yamato
57) Ashita No Joe
58) The Prince Of Tennis
59) Galaxy Express 999
60) Blue Comet SPT Layzner
61) Grave Of The Fireflies
62) Yu-Gi-OH
63) Shaman King
64) Sailor Moon
65) Inuyasha
66) Ping Pong Club
67) Kodoma No Omacha
68) Here is Greenwood
69) Golden Boy
70) Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
71) Shinemsman
72) Outlaw Star
73) Trigun
74) Grenadier The Smiling Soldier
75) Hikaru No Go
76) Full Metal Panic
77) Godmars
78) Daitarn 3
79) Gundam Seed
80) Voltes V
81) Shinkon Gatai Godannar
82) Combattler V
83) Brave Express Might Gaine
84) Slam Dunk
85) Fighting General Daimos
86) Hades Project Zeorymer
87) One Piece
88) Super Dimensional Century Orguss
89) Ninja Senshi Tobikage
91) J9 Tai Series
92) Digimon
93) Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya
94) Great Mazinger
95) Devilman
96) Fist of The North Star
97) Grendizer
98) Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross
99) Invincible Trider G7
100) Sailor Moon

Fixed it as best I could.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2006-08-11 at 10:47.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 23:20   Link #66
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
LOL!!!!

That's beautiful, Kai.

Except I think MSG should be higher up.
Old 2006-08-11, 09:13   Link #67
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
*Sniff* Yeah, its a rare series where 'grunts' actually mattered, or when heroes exclaim at the numbers of enemies they had to face.
What also surprising, is that in SDF Macross, even ace pilots generally fly around in the same kind of mecha everyone else uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Fleet ships were not mere 'gun-soakers' in Macross, they, like grunts, actually provide practical support for the main characters. Macross gave me a feeling of desperation, of mankind's hope for survival, of something at stake.
Arguably, Macrossverse capital ships can take a lot of punishment compared to fighters. A Valkyrie can whale away at a Zentradi battleship all day with conventional weapons, and still do only superficial damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Squads, as we have previously discussed, work in teams. Duels were rare. In fact, that whole Myrian vs. Max thing was the only duel in the entire franchise!
Another thing that I really loved. It seemed as if the Macross creators actually knew quite a bit about how militaries work, and the way battles are supposed to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Even the main character, Hikaru, gets that much glory. He was no new-type/SEED ace, and had to constantly work with his collegues in order to achieve the basic neccessity for survival. What a classic.
What's also interesting is that Hikaru is nowhere near being the best pilot – there's at least 3-4 characters that he would lose to. The more mecha anime I watch, the more impressive this factoid becomes.

After a point, it's sort of meaningless to spout off on Macross' superlatives. It sometimes almost feels as if it was designed by people who were trying to address some of the specific problems found in Gundam (this would be just MSG and the MSG movies at the time).
Old 2006-08-11, 09:22   Link #68
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

I think Zeta and Victory are actually below Seed and Destiny so that redo is pretty much bollocks to me. The only rewrite I would do is delete Haruhi from the list and maybe replace it with like, Coyote Ragtime Show or Speed Grapher.

You also have YYH on there twice and strangely Dragonball Z was deleted? Super fail.
Old 2006-08-11, 09:26   Link #69
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

One thing is that Kaioshin would have Haruhi much higher in his list if the anime showed some of his favourite chapters from the novels.

Old 2006-08-11, 10:07   Link #70
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran
Arguably, Macrossverse capital ships can take a lot of punishment compared to fighters. A Valkyrie can whale away at a Zentradi battleship all day with conventional weapons, and still do only superficial damage.
I actually wrote my previous post as a compairson between Macross and Zentraedi ships. Yeah, Zentraedi ships take a lot of punshiment, and a lone Valkyrie would have to infiltrate one before knocking it out from the inside (assuming that it had survived the crews). In contrast... Gundam ship armors were like paper.

Quote:
Another thing that I really loved. It seemed as if the Macross creators actually knew quite a bit about how militaries work, and the way battles are supposed to look.
Not too surprisingly, a lot of Macross series acquired the technical aid of the JASDF (Japanese Air Self-Defense Force).

Quote:
After a point, it's sort of meaningless to spout off on Macross' superlatives. It sometimes almost feels as if it was designed by people who were trying to address some of the specific problems found in Gundam (this would be just MSG and the MSG movies at the time).
I somehow think that was the point too, to adress the problems that were Gundam. Grunts in Gundam were just there to get soaked with bullets while New Types stole the show. Not that I have a problem with it, but Macross shifted to another direction, a more realistic one and actually did it very well, with aces piloting mechas not too different from Grunts. It showed true skills, not solely the abilities of the machines.

- Tak (We need another Macross, but we can only get one every few years )
Old 2006-08-11, 10:50   Link #71
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
I think Zeta and Victory are actually below Seed and Destiny so that redo is pretty much bollocks to me. The only rewrite I would do is delete Haruhi from the list and maybe replace it with like, Coyote Ragtime Show or Speed Grapher.

You also have YYH on there twice and strangely Dragonball Z was deleted? Super fail.
Yeah we know already of your strange love of Seed Destiny the ultimate clip show and time waster.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 11:00   Link #72
Eclipze

Um...as much as I can tell why this poll result was posted here on the Gundam forums, isnt it much more suitable in the General Anime sub-forum?

And about the whole "mainstream vs non-mainstream" debate:
Spoiler:
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 12:53   Link #73
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Um...as much as I can tell why this poll result was posted here on the Gundam forums, isnt it much more suitable in the General Anime sub-forum?
That's not a bad idea. We should move the thread or just relist it there.
Old 2006-08-11, 18:42   Link #74
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
In contrast... Gundam ship armors were like paper.
This is true to the point where I wonder why they aren’t more like Wing ships, where all the larger vessels are little more than unarmed transports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Not too surprisingly, a lot of Macross series acquired the technical aid of the JASDF (Japanese Air Self-Defense Force).
This explains a lot. I especially liked the amount of focus they put on details like dedicated recon vehicles, ECM, military bureaucracy, etc., etc. By comparison, Gundam shows generally seem to be made by people who have just the slightest inkling what militaries were supposed to look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
- Tak (We need another Macross, but we can only get one every few years)
Too true. Unfortunately, it looks like Kawamori went off the deep end over a decade ago, and while his shows are still entertaining, they lack the oomph that was present in his earlier works.

UPDATE: I just watched the first few episodes of SDF Macross for the first time. Wow, that was great! Fast paced, and filled chock-full of fun moments. Why can't more Gundam shows, and mecha shows in general, be more like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Yeah we know already of your strange love of Seed Destiny the ultimate clip show and time waster.
Liking Seed Destiny is neither strange, nor even all that unusual – as the OP for this thread demonstrates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
And about the whole "mainstream vs non-mainstream" debate:
Kudos. That was well written.

Last edited by 4Tran; 2006-08-11 at 23:49.
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 01:11   Link #75
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
Wow Tak, you and I share some things in common. I'm also a Super Robot Wars fan. But mostly I'm a Psybuster-Valcione R-Nolus Rei fan. LOL.

Has anybody watched HXH beyond the Spider Gang arc? I only know of the OVA...my favorite Spider Gang "member" would be Hisoka.

@ cloudedge

I don't really read Chinese, it's just the fan in me collecting YYH stuff...^^;; I even have the Ranma 1/2 Memorial Book in Chinese, but that's just because I want to collect it. It's probably because anime isn't exactly mainstream here as it was back then, and most people who buy the anime related stuff are Chinese; plus, the Japanese stuff costs more than Chinese manga ones, too. I could read and understand a little Japanese though. I own a Sailormoon Japanese manga one (book 10), and a Ranma 1/2 Japanese one (number 35), even an old copy of Shounen Jump in Japanese and Nakayoshi in Japanese. :P

@ CA

I didn't get to watch the entire Macross series, and only learned about Macross 7 from the Super Robot Wars that was on the GBA (was it? ^^;; ). I watched the Macross movie though. I believe it was called "Do You Believe In Love?".

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 01:59   Link #76
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
@ CA

I didn't get to watch the entire Macross series, and only learned about Macross 7 from the Super Robot Wars that was on the GBA (was it? ^^;; ). I watched the Macross movie though. I believe it was called "Do You Believe In Love?".
Yah, but actually is "Do You Remember Love?". And chapter 49 of SRW Alpha 3 made me cried twice in that single stage when "Do You Remember Love was played, then "Try Again" came later. Those songs plus their dialogues just killed me lol

Old 2006-08-12, 09:37   Link #77
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
Oops, interchanged that song with a love song, LOL. all dialogues in SRWs are funny in one way or the other. Plus, the chibi mech animations are just too damn cute, it must be made into a crime or something.

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 10:14   Link #78
Tak

Quote:
Oops, interchanged that song with a love song, LOL. all dialogues in SRWs are funny in one way or the other. Plus, the chibi mech animations are just too damn cute, it must be made into a crime or something.
What irks me is the fact that I can only see Macross on SRW and associated media now. I want to see another sequel! The Prequel wasn't bad (Macross Zero) and had me nearly lept out of my seat in joy when I saw Fokkar transformed his Valkyrie for the first time! What a rush!

Man, now I can only remind myself of the glory that was once Macross on SRW. Kind of sad, if you ask me.

Look, if Kawamori can design that lil' Aibo robo-puppy, he can very damn well design another Valkyrie fighter for another Macross franchise.

- Tak