AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-09, 07:52   Link #681
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
I don't really care how much investment is involved, I care about the anime, and frankly given the significant chance that it could turn out to be a failure, this is unacceptable.
Of course you should care about the investment if you care what the anime would look like. I mean these things do need money to look good you know. . .
Old 2012-04-09, 08:10   Link #682
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Thanks, I needed a good laugh.
Yes of course they mean the same "chance" something like Gundam Age was given.

Am I the only one that finds this whole reaction kind of amusing. I can totally understand the disappointment and where the expectation was for the studio doing it, but if I'd been clamoring for something like the Little Busters fanbase has for over like 3 years now and it just became increasingly clear to me that the studio that did the majority of the series in the meta-franchise no longer had any interest in the license I'd just kind of be happy to be getting it at all at this point and willing to give it a chance. Like fans got their wish at long last for a Little Busters anime, I don't know why they can't just be gracious and give it's fair due. If the fan response to J.C Staff's adaptation is poor then the message can be sent by the fans that they don't want them doing another one, but obviously there's a reason Key chose J.C Staff to do this and unless they're just totally malicious to and just don't respect the expectations of the fanbase at all after all the support said fanbase has given them I don't think people are in for another Toei level production here.

That's just my observation as an outside observer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane Rieko View Post

Being not KyoAni does NOT mean it will automatically be horrible. (I felt the need to say this)
The fact that people still need to point this out every now and then shows just how far anime fandom needs to go when it comes to the awkward inflated reputation and fanaticism surrounding this particular animation studio....in my opinion of course. As Reckoner said earlier in the thread, while pretty rock solid Kyoani is clearly, just so clearly not the be all end all when it comes to animation quality and I look forward to the day when this is finally acknowledged by just about all.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-04-09 at 08:22.
Old 2012-04-09, 09:11   Link #683
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
The fact that people still need to point this out every now and then shows just how far anime fandom needs to go when it comes to the awkward inflated reputation and fanaticism surrounding this particular animation studio....in my opinion of course.
I don't think it's so much pro-KyoAni as anti-JC Staff in this case. While they have done some good stuff like Toradora, they've also done complete travesties like Zero no Tsukaima.
Old 2012-04-09, 09:55   Link #684
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Am I the only one that finds this whole reaction kind of amusing.
Don't worry, I'm with you on this one.
Old 2012-04-09, 10:47   Link #685
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Good news, finally. Just hope that it' a good studio doing this. God forbid it's DEEN or JC Staff, because that will be worse than not having one.
Hey look, I was right.

Oh well, we already know for a fact it's not going to match KyoAni's visuals, but JC Staff's average effort is still more than watchable. If the writer and director are competent, then this might turn out to be one of JC Staff's good shows, and not the Key version of ZnT.

I have 65% confidence of a good adaptation here.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
Old 2012-04-09, 11:05   Link #686
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I don't think it's so much pro-KyoAni as anti-JC Staff in this case. While they have done some good stuff like Toradora, they've also done complete travesties like Zero no Tsukaima.
How many times do we have to go back to this: The quality of an anime's story has no correlation to the animation studio.
Old 2012-04-09, 11:10   Link #687
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
How many times do we have to go back to this: The quality of an anime's story has no correlation to the animation studio.
And it has been mentioned before as well: certain directors/animators and teams might lead to some specific trope/treatment. This is also the reason why directors like Nagai were mentioned in this thread.
It would be a lie to pretend that JC Staff doesn't have a prelidiction for certain genre, or even certain Seiyuu for instance. As repeated multiple times: the major backlash was due to JC staff mention due to their records. Should it was another studio or a blank slate studio, the worries would have been of a much different nature.

Correlation regarding the future quality of a series is far fetched to some extent. However, some reactions are actually legit due to some grounded basis.
Old 2012-04-09, 12:34   Link #688
flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Of course you should care about the investment if you care what the anime would look like. I mean these things do need money to look good you know. . .
I just want the animation quality to be good enough to successfully deliver the atmosphere of the story, that is all I meant.
Old 2012-04-09, 13:05   Link #689
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
At least J.C. Staff did a wonderful job with Ano Natsu de Matteru even though it's not an adaptation.
Old 2012-04-09, 13:07   Link #690
flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
At least J.C. Staff did a wonderful job with Ano Natsu de Matteru even though it's not an adaptation.
Old 2012-04-09, 14:47   Link #691
Jao
panchi~

Oh come on now. I dropped AnoNatsu due to having problems with the writing, which has nothing to do with the staff working on the LB anime, but the visuals and music were more than fine.

Really, that kind of reaction is just silly.
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.

Last edited by Jao; 2012-04-09 at 15:04. Reason: Clarification ^^;
Old 2012-04-09, 15:21   Link #692
Ekureiru
神さま、ありがとう!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Ekureiru Send a message via MSN to Ekureiru
My only problem with J.C. Staff handling it (beyond their poor track record with visual novel adaptations and adaptations in general), is the fact they are staffing it with either amateurs or people whose only real experience in their job slot for the project have been travesties.

A fine passing example of this is the director of Kill Me Baby! directing this project. While some found this to be a 'decent' or 'alright' anime (and let's face it, the budget was clearly shit for it), I found it unappealing, unfunny, and not quite as good as it could have been, though this is just my opinion.

Zero no Tsukaima, Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Yumekui Merry, do these ring bells? They better.

I would have been fine with anyone other than J.C. Staff doing it (save perhaps DEEN or Toei), because while I used to love KyoAni, I eventually came to terms with the fact that they are not the 'lolomg greatest thing ever'. They've done a few good things, but their animation isn't god-tier level like most proclaim and some of their adapts haven't been the greatest, either.

Ekureiru - An entity commonly recognized by many as being on par with gods.
Last.fm | MyAnimeList | Pettanko Fansubs | Now with a degree in Yanderekology.
Old 2012-04-09, 15:51   Link #693
relentlessflame

*Administrator

The two things that this thread have proven to me are that:

1. Stereotyping based on production studio is extremely common, and...
2. People don't bother reading the past discussion before posting their opinion.

We're in an endless loop of people explaining why they don't trust J.C. Staff, and other people explaining why it isn't as simple as blaming J.C. Staff (since, among other things, most people are complaining about the writing, and the writers don't usually work for the anime studios anyway).

Oh well, I guess this cycle is going to continue ad nauseum until the anime comes out, and probably even after it comes out. I've little doubt that, even though Key already explained that some compromises were needed to adopt Little Busters into anime, any change that's made -- even if it was always part of Key's plan -- will be blamed on J.C. Staff, even though the writer doesn't work for them and the script is being reviewed by Key. Any flaw will be amplified 100x over just because of the studio involved, and it's not as if even the Kyoto Animation adaptations were actually "flaw-free". It's literally "no win" for anyone involved, at least from the hardcore fans. I certainly don't envy the pressure the staff face.

Anyway, for my part, I just intend to watch the anime and hopefully be entertained, as I have with previous Key adaptations and other shows in this genre, regardless of production company.
Old 2012-04-09, 16:08   Link #694
Ekureiru
神さま、ありがとう!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Ekureiru Send a message via MSN to Ekureiru
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Anyway, for my part, I just intend to watch the anime and hopefully be entertained, as I have with previous Key adaptations and other shows in this genre, regardless of production company.
That's what I'm going to do as well. Go in, and hope I'm entertained one way or another. Hopefully my expectations aren't let down, especially considering how special this visual novel in particular is to me.

If it flops, I'll hold it more against the director than anything, or whatever else proved to be 'at fault' with the adaptation, and I will hold that grudge until death.

Ekureiru - An entity commonly recognized by many as being on par with gods.
Last.fm | MyAnimeList | Pettanko Fansubs | Now with a degree in Yanderekology.
Old 2012-04-09, 16:16   Link #695
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

As I said, as long as Little Busters doesn't get the Tsukihime treatment, they will at least be manageble. The amount of denial of J.C. Staff's Tsukihime even existing is staggering. Even Toei's Kanon and Clannad is said to exist.
Old 2012-04-09, 16:20   Link #696
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

I'm certain a minority, but I never cared nor checked which studio has done which anime. If it's good/entertaining/loveable then the better, in case of the opposite I'll rage/feel dumbfounded or express similar reactions afterwards and move on, unless I feel a sudden urge to "talk" about it.

Anyway: I've read that Komari will be concluded first. A decent choice itself, even though her story could have been a tad better on the romance side . But, then again, LB's strong point is not the romance so that it's simply my personal bias or nitpicking (as usual). Personally, I wouldn't mind if they decided to leave Haruka's route/parts of it out same for Yui (I enjoyed her character, but her route was "=/")
I'm looking forward towards the comedy before the drama hammer swings down
Old 2012-04-09, 17:14   Link #697
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Yes of course they mean the same "chance" something like Gundam Age was given.

Am I the only one that finds this whole reaction kind of amusing. I can totally understand the disappointment and where the expectation was for the studio doing it, but if I'd been clamoring for something like the Little Busters fanbase has for over like 3 years now and it just became increasingly clear to me that the studio that did the majority of the series in the meta-franchise no longer had any interest in the license I'd just kind of be happy to be getting it at all at this point and willing to give it a chance. Like fans got their wish at long last for a Little Busters anime, I don't know why they can't just be gracious and give it's fair due. If the fan response to J.C Staff's adaptation is poor then the message can be sent by the fans that they don't want them doing another one, but obviously there's a reason Key chose J.C Staff to do this and unless they're just totally malicious to and just don't respect the expectations of the fanbase at all after all the support said fanbase has given them I don't think people are in for another Toei level production here.

That's just my observation as an outside observer though.
Hey now, despite what people say, Sunrise, (and Gundam comes with the territory) has proven themselves over the years to consistently hit home runs. Not every JC outing is bad of course, but if we look at what Sunrise has done it's not really that unnatural to say I expect more from Sunrise. I mean, just take say... Tiger and Bunny. No-brainers like Escaflowne or Bebop can be exempted... Regardless of quality, every one of their shows has superb sound.

There is some confusion going on. A lot of people are worried about faithfulness, not necessarily the actual quality. You can have a good adaptation that is derivative but that's not their expectation. And Tsukihime, Shana, and ZNT went very off the rails. Kamimemo switched stuff around. Maybe the effect was better, but a lot of people seemed to have trouble with that. Whether or not you like these shows or not is subjective but you cannot blame people for not appreciating their favorites not being represented as they like through expectation. These were fairly big things, so it's only natural people complained. I personally don't care but they've made some strong arguments.

And you know it'd be worse if Deen got it. And I think Deen will better illustrate the point. I enjoyed the Fate/Stay Night anime and Higurashi is my favorite anime. However, I can't really ignore the criticisms that they left out a number of significant details which altered the narrative.

Is Deen incapable of not doing good stuff? They are capable, surely. But once again faithfulness is the key factor, as Samurai Deeper Kyo fans or Type Moon fans (who got burned by both lol) would attest.

So yes, Sunrise and Madhouse would be names I put stock in for it to do better. They may not do a better job, but past experience suggests the chances are better. It may be just my anecdote, but when I haven't rated any JC staff anime over 7/10 (except the Shana movie), it just means that there's a significant chance that one of their shows will not suit my preferences of storytelling. I say this because I don't want people to assume I'm making some gigantic blanket statement of quality because I used my own opinion of their series and that I haven't seen every of their series as well.

The only problem is that there are many factors being the studio. Yoshino writing for Sunrise on that was not a happy occasion, for example. And what if it was something you care about? What if I told you JC staff was going to be in charge of the next Gundam series? And Yoshino was at it again. That's never going to happen, of course, but surely it may have a negative thought on your part, even if it means you would get to see more of your favorite franchise or series.

However, I would like to say I feel a distinct effort from their most recent JC staff stuff. (Starting from Index II on) Like they have great soundtracks for their stuff.

So tl;dr
1.) People want to trust their works are being represented as they would like
2.) Personally, I just don't like most of what I saw from them. I am skeptical of Key at the moment.

These are 2 separate issues.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-04-09 at 17:40.
Old 2012-04-09, 17:36   Link #698
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
What if I told you JC staff was going to be in charge of the next Gundam series? And Yoshino was at it again. That's never going to happen, of course, but surely it may have a negative thought on your part, even if it means you would get to see more of your favorite franchise or series.
Here's what I know I wouldn't do,judge Yoshino based on what a bunch of other writers did at JC staff,because that has got nothing to do with him.
Old 2012-04-09, 17:43   Link #699
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Here's what I know I wouldn't do,judge Yoshino based on what a bunch of other writers did at JC staff,because that has got nothing to do with him.
It doesn't. I should have put out more emoticons to indicate sarcasm I guess.

Sort of an in-joke between us, sorry. I just wanted to do an analogy to something with more emotional attachment since Kaioshin doesn't care too much about Key. It's a conjuring of a worst-case scenario for Kaioshin , from what I know of him, which is of course subjective per person. Formula went (Beloved franchise + disliked staff= ?) I could have just said that, but it would have been less colorful.

Edit: And before anyone brings up the "Nobody cares about you Gaijin peasant's opinions", these concerns, regardless of how valid they are, are very real... http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=424245 It's not just the western fanbase, because I sure as hell know the people higher ups are not addressing us.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-04-09 at 18:04.
Old 2012-04-09, 18:24   Link #700
Balzac
Assistant Professor

Hey, isn't that Rewrite translation slated for this year? And then this has a chance too of happening this year? If that's the case, the former's translation would be a suitable painkiller if this don't score the expected homerun.

Ha.

Haha.

Tags
anime game, little busters