AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-11-24, 13:03   Link #221
agia

I've just saw episode 8..... Kaiji is awesome but so naive !!!

Spoiler for episode 8:
agia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 13:41   Link #222
watta

Why hate andou?
Spoiler:

my bad i got names mixed up
watta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 13:45   Link #223
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
the fatty is andou...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 00:17   Link #224
Echoes

That Andou... after everything Kaiji did for him. There's just no hope for him, if Kaiji gives him another chance after this (if they meet up again, that is) I'll be severely disappointed. Best of all would be if his veins suddenly clogged and he died or something.
Old 2007-11-25, 00:21   Link #225
Hakuryu_Hikaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post

kaiji is showing how great of a man he is...if he was a bit more fortunate then maybe he would have lead a different path in is life

there better be a bad end for andou or else

and an extra special card for andou...
Spoiler:
LOLZ@spoiler
And Andou did it again... damn him to hell. Kaiji, suffering pariah, indeed. If he only had been born during the Heian era, where true men cried freely and copiously, he'd be Fujiwara no Sai at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
That Andou... after everything Kaiji did for him. There's just no hope for him, if Kaiji gives him another chance after this (if they meet up again, that is) I'll be severely disappointed. Best of all would be if his veins suddenly clogged and he died or something.
Stupidity has its price. You cannot live on a good heart alone...
Hakuryu_Hikaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 01:25   Link #226
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

My ideas on what happens next - Furuhata bails out Kaiji (and himself) by buying Andou's stars for 5.5M yen each, more than the 5M that he would have gotten from the crowd. This allows the two to escape, albeit heavily in debt (though Furuhata would be better off that when he went in - he had Kaiji's ~3.4M debt and that would just be reduced to 2.8M. Kaiji would be like 14M in debt after that, having repaid none of the war-funds.

What is the name of the Urabe/Yagi guy in the glass box who has all that cash? One of my friends suggested he'll try to purchase stars, which might be why Kaiji tries to attack him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuryu_Hikaru View Post
Stupidity has its price. You cannot live on a good heart alone...
Looking at your name, I'm going to call you Tonegawa from now on.

Anyway, Tonegawa...Kaiji wasn't relying on Andou out of faith alone for most of the voyage. He had a working relationship with him and that's what kept everything together - once Kaiji got eliminated, that relationship was broken and was left on faith - he overlooked this. Furuhata was kind enough to try and maintain his friendship, but once Andou smelled that money his heart went black.

As Akagi said, finding and seeking comfort of the mind a cancer that will ultimately kill a gambler. One must live always on edge to avoid getting diced by hidden blades.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 01:30   Link #227
Hakuryu_Hikaru

I have no idea of who Tonegawa is. Please clarify. My membership in the great Otakudom fratenity is somehow restricted at this point.
And I don't know, I believe it's pretty much the third time he's been screwed by Andou. Wasn't he the guy who made him sign for the debt in the first place? Correct me if I am wrong. But if I am right... come on.
And ok, how would you call a guy who did what he did in the first episode? Somebody with extreme *bad luck* choosing objects to vandalize?
Old 2007-11-25, 02:25   Link #228
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
I think Furuhata was the one who made him co-sign the debt.

Isn't Tonegawa the main guy in charge of everything on Espoir? He was the one who addressed everyone before they started the rock-paper-scissors game, wasn't he?

BTW, I can't wait to see part 3 of the Kaiji/Street Fighter MAD on niconico lol

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 02:54   Link #229
Hakuryu_Hikaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepearl View Post

Isn't Tonegawa the main guy in charge of everything on Espoir? He was the one who addressed everyone before they started the rock-paper-scissors game, wasn't he?
I didn't call anybody no names!
I mean, Kaiji himself admittted that he wasn't acting smart. I was just reiterating his stance. He's been naive, come on. When he first struck a deal with Funai... didn't he know where we was at? Basic rule for kids. Don't trust strangers. And adults should always carry an ace on the sleeve. If he were to make a deal, he shouldn't have jumped head in and should have something to give him the upperhand. I know it's hindsight, but really. Andou went and used the card, when they first joined together. Why Kaiji forgave him? That's not a place to feel sorry for anybody. I am sorry!
In my book, his good heart redeems him 100%. But real life is not ruled by my book.

Last edited by Hakuryu_Hikaru; 2007-11-25 at 03:09.
Old 2007-11-25, 03:01   Link #230
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuryu_Hikaru View Post
Fine, he calls me that and I call him kisama and kusotare. All in all, it's a fair trade. Two for one, even!
Uh.

I'm calling you Tonegawa because Tonegawa's character voice is "Hakuryuu". Limited access or not, you didn't have to be insulting. :|
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 03:09   Link #231
Hakuryu_Hikaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
Uh.

I'm calling you Tonegawa because Tonegawa's character voice is "Hakuryuu". Limited access or not, you didn't have to be insulting. :|
Omo shivake arimasen deshita!!!! I told you you I was new to this Universe of your.
Sumanakatta! I rephrase my words! But tonegawa is bad guy!
Old 2007-11-25, 05:17   Link #232
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

Damn it!

I couldn't say I did not see it coming...but still...it hurt my heart to see Kaiji get betrayed again. Andou should burn in Hell for what he did...the deepest circle of Hell is reserved for betrayers.

Looks like the overall theme of this show is that you just cannot trust anyone - that human beings are simple egotistical creatures who only care about survival. I was actually pleasantly surprised that Furuhata kept his word and tried to save Kaiji, since he and Andou were in the same league for me up to now - weak-willed and stupid.

In any case, I'm glad the rock-paper-scissors game is over, since it went on for too long. I can't wait to see the next game they're going to play.

Here's for hoping Andou will screw up again and will come crawling back to Kaiji only to get a stomp in the face.
Old 2007-11-25, 05:45   Link #233
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
Here's for hoping Andou will screw up again and will come crawling back to Kaiji only to get a stomp in the face.
i would be disappointed if kaiji decides to save his ass again...he too good of a guy >_<

this has to be the last straw for him...being betrayed once too many times. Furuhata is probably the only one he can truely "trust"...

(and he should have given him all of his 3 stars to keep safe instead of splitting it with andou )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 06:06   Link #234
bitesnitch

Yeah, it was a bit painful watching Kaiji placing his trust in his teammates and talking so passionate to sharktooth about it, since that was obvious that things can't go that smoothly. The talk about 'true friendship' made me think of a shounen hero stuck in the wrong show.
bitesnitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 07:17   Link #235
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I dunno. I LOVED seeing Kaiji break down like that. Because we all know he'll find another ridiculous way to break out of it. He's an everyman superhero. Almost to the point of him being Macgyver without gadgets.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 18:14   Link #236
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
i would be disappointed if kaiji decides to save his ass again...he too good of a guy >_<

this has to be the last straw for him...being betrayed once too many times. Furuhata is probably the only one he can truely "trust"...

(and he should have given him all of his 3 stars to keep safe instead of splitting it with andou )
Yeah, if he forgives Andou again, I will lose faith in this show - everybody has his limits and that's the third time he's been betrayed by him. Looking back on Andou's behavior, I guess he should have seen it coming - Andou jumped at every little chance to double-cross his allies and save himself - whenever he had an extra card or an extra star, he rushed to play, then lost and came crawling back to Kaiji. Seeing that scenario once again will be too lame.

Kaiji probably viewed Andou and Furuhata as one and the same, just like I did - the difference is he trusted both of them, and I would not trust either of them. That's why he split the stars between them. It turns out one of them could be trusted, the other could not. I guess that proves that things are not only black and white - if you trust everybody, you'll end up cheated. On the other hand, if you trust nobody you might not get anywhere - Kaiji was only able to get this far with Andou and Furuhata's resources(I'm saying resources(stars, cards, money) because the two of them did not contribute anything else). So, in the end it all boils down to finding the right people to trust.

Anyways, I'm getting a little tired with all that drama going on - especially since I could see it coming a mile away. I am more interested in the types of games they are going to play and the strategies that Kaiji will come up with to win.
Old 2007-11-25, 20:00   Link #237
kevin13
Disabled By Request

Wow...

At least Furuhata redeemed himself a bit in my book...
kevin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 20:20   Link #238
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I'm not somebody to easily judge anime characters by what they do in extreme situations that aren't even remotely similar to what normal people would ever encounter ...

... but Kaiji is definitely too good even for the real world.
Old 2007-11-25, 20:48   Link #239
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

I find it funny that Furuhata turned out to be the trustworthy one, considering he was the one who got Kaiji in this position in the first place. Kaiji is like the living version of the creed "honor amongst thieves". He steals car emblems, manipulates and tricks his opponents, but he will never shake his trust in his allies or betray them. Kaiji has been betrayed by Furuhata with the loan co-signing, betrayed by Funai, betrayed by Andou twice. The fact that he still trusts people is just unbelievable.
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 21:13   Link #240
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

True, Kaiji's not called 'Mother Teresa' for no reason (it's a nickname that comes up quite after, in part 2). He can never be cold hearted once he places trust on someone.

Reading the above opinions for ep9 is interesting. I guess everyone will know what will happen sooner or later...

Last edited by sukreih; 2007-11-25 at 22:16.
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, gambling, seinen