AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2006-10-30, 21:34   Link #141
Xelsol

Hearing "believe it" over and over is annoying, but I gotta think hearing "dattebayo" over and over must be annoying for japanese viewers. Don't blame it on the dub, that annoying part was put in by the original animators...

They had to put something in for "dattebayo", or else it would look like a corny old import film where the lips keep moving after the speech is done.
Xelsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 21:48   Link #142
Luminion Lancer
Time-diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelsol View Post
Hearing "believe it" over and over is annoying, but I gotta think hearing "dattebayo" over and over must be annoying for japanese viewers. Don't blame it on the dub, that annoying part was put in by the original animators...

They had to put something in for "dattebayo", or else it would look like a corny old import film where the lips keep moving after the speech is done.
-Oh no you misunderstand. It's not that I blame Viz media for inserting the catchphrase in place of dattebayo. I'm just saying that I can't seem to get used to it. I still cringe every time I hear it. A simple "Oh yeah!" would have been less annoying but that's just my opinion on the matter. Besides Viz media has beem doing a good job on their animes lately. Have you heard the english dub of "Eureka 7" and "Bleach"?
Old 2006-10-30, 22:57   Link #143
LoOnatick
1ne Love

I'm not trying to bash or anything but I've seen the English dub version aired on Cartoon Network. Frankly, I have to say it's terrible. I'm not hating Cartoon Network for that, but more over, I respect them for introducing the children in the U.S. to the popular Japanese anime series. Reason why some people prefer watching the dubbing other than the subbing is because they prefer listening other than reading. But for the fans of the series, they dislike the dubbing because the voice acting just doesn't match the characters very well. I still watches the CN version from time to time. Just to check what episode they're on. I'm not quite sure about Naruto's voice in the dub version. Don't fit him & his personality very well (The person who's doing Naruto's voice is a woman btw). Overall, at least the kids gets a taste at the popular Japanese anime.
LoOnatick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 23:55   Link #144
lime_green
reborn ftw

Send a message via AIM to lime_green
they changed the intro back to the japanese version (at least one good thing)
lime_green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 01:08   Link #145
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

I think Naruto is one of the best ever Dubed series out there. I think Naruto's Voice is really well picked and so as the rest of the characters.
Old 2006-10-31, 04:49   Link #146
User46956

if it wasnt for that fact that i started watching the dubbed japanese vull version first, i would have never touched naruto if i saw the english version.

the vioce acting is terrible and the starting and end credits suck also what the hell is with naruto saying "beleive it" all the friggen time . one other thing , whers all the blood and death sceenes, i mean i dont like blood and death im not a psyco but all the stuff they have cut out is what give the scenes character.

the english version makes meh wana tear my own ears off,

also i heard somwhre that they were gona do and english version of bleach , i really hope they dont

ah well rant over

on a side note , it is probabbly the second best anime dub i have seen after berserk, they are usually sooo awful
User46956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 16:53   Link #147
Ryuujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windblade View Post
one other thing , whers all the blood and death sceenes, i mean i dont like blood and death im not a psyco but all the stuff they have cut out is what give the scenes character.
What are you talking about? They haven't cut any deaths, and a good bit of blood is left in...

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!"~Dinobot
Ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 21:18   Link #148
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazakura View Post
Am I the only one here who thinks the Naruto dub cast sucked and should've been band from the role? Sasuke's and Hinata's voices were the only ones they did a decent job on in my opinion...and Naruto wasn't intended for freakin' ten year olds! Why edit out all the good stuff for the brats watching CN, and not air it on Adult Swim unedited with a decent dub?

Your thoughts are...???
I agree. does this look like something that's appropriate for 10 year olds? (at least in the US)
Spoiler for image from the zabuza arc:

I'ld like to add that the shounen genera encompasses anything with a target audience of 8-17. there is a legitimate part of the target audience that's missing out.

Last edited by Ziv; 2006-11-01 at 16:56.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 16:58   Link #149
RanBan
Likes cheese

There are always people who diss american-ized anime, and most times they're just completely anal about it, but i can agree for some parts of english naruto. Naruto does sound pretty awful, but they did a relativley good job, considering the voice they had to try to get. the japanese version's voice is much less annoying, but i can see where the english version is coming from. i really think its unnecesary when people say "all the voices suck" because some are not that bad. just because they aren't just like the jap. version doesn't make them awful. Kakashi's voice is alright, and Lee's and Gai's are okay too. I personaly thought Shikamaru's voice was too deep in the jap. version, so i liked the english Shika. Sakura is decent, and i've never liked Gaara's voice too much, not in either version, witch is sad, seeing as he's one of my favorties. but i really dont know what i'd expect for his voice, so i can sympathize

What do we think about Iruka's voice? most hate it, but i dont think it's quite that bad.

And yeah, i REALLY wish naruto was on adult swim, just so i could see naruto puch gaara in the head screaming "WAKE THE FUCK UP!" i love that...dont ask me why... ((poor gaa-chan ))
RanBan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 18:28   Link #150
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Getting Past Shippuden In Dubs...

I'm having the toughest time even contemplating how cartoon network can even think about editing more of this. I mean, the dub hasn't shown Tayuya yet and they'll have to severely butcher her character, which is one for foul and colorful language. She wouldn't be Tayuya without it. And how would they even go about editing Deidara and the other newer characters? Any thoughts?
Yazakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 19:42   Link #151
tatami
back in black

dub sux /period/

not only in naruto but in any kind of dubbing...imo
tatami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 19:57   Link #152
Ulquiorra
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ulquiorra Send a message via AIM to Ulquiorra Send a message via Yahoo to Ulquiorra
Tayuya's character is not going to be butchered. As long as they make her come across as crass, she will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatami View Post
dub sux /period/

You apparently never saw the Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell, FLCL, and Trigun dubs. All were excellent. I don't mind the Bleach dub either.
Ulquiorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 20:50   Link #153
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Quote:
dub sux /period/

That I fully agree with. However much I say the dub cast of Naruto is ****** up the series, I don't even want to know how they'll edit those characters. The dub is bad enough as it is for Naruto, but the edits will make it seem even more like a kids' show if you ask me.
Old 2007-09-20, 20:54   Link #154
tatami
back in black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulquiorra View Post
Tayuya's character is not going to be butchered. As long as they make her come across as crass, she will be fine.

You apparently never saw the Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell, FLCL, and Trigun dubs. All were excellent. I don't mind the Bleach dub either.
i ve seen them and more...i ve got a good archive...

and learn the meaning of IMO.

in what point they were excellent?in what taste?yours?

beauty is in the eye of beholder once said a wise man...
tatami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 21:24   Link #155
0TaKu0
Tesseract Enigma
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to 0TaKu0 Send a message via MSN to 0TaKu0
Quote:
Not only have I never seen them (dubbed), I would NEVER want to see them (I have the subs all archived). No matter how "good" the dubs are, whatever that means, I would never go near any anime that has been touched by USA. To be honest, most people who watch dubs are just people who do not understand the Japanese society, culture, or the true beauty of their language. Not to mention, most likely they do not have the resources or, the -know how- on the "art" of finding good subs, scanlation, or even raws if you are fluent in Japanese. Now I said most not all, so don't come at me with arms flailing. The rest just watch it because they have already seen the subbed version ages ago and, decided they need a good laugh, has the need to find the flaws or, just out of sheer curiosity to see how the dub is.

Now then, the DUB is not the single problem that prevents people like my self and others to stay away from anime touched by USA, it is the butchering of the anime that takes place which keeps us away. Editing, changing lines, jokes, curses, or cutting them out completely making them none existent (which in turn changing the in-depth personality of the character), which annoys people like me so why bother getting annoyed. How about cutting out full episodes from a series (Shaman King), or segments from a episode because the content is some what "improper", not to mention, the ever so famous not finishing a series because the rest of its content might be "improper" or too "confusing" for its "USA Kids" viewers (Hello, Escaflowne). Seriously, if you knew that the content was "improper" or too "confusing" for the kid viewers of the USA, then why the hell did you even show a beautiful series like Escaflowne on Fox 5 during the kids segments if you planned on never finishing it (killing the series in the process). This kind of shit goes all the way back to Sailor Moon, I wont even bother going in to that.

Ok, lets talk ADULT swim, same shit, they will go as far as changing the color of the blood to less red or black and, lessening the amount (Hello Samurai Champloo, and yes they definitely did it in Naruto among other things) even content that’s 17 and up (or meant for Seinen in Japan) are edited to their liking, once again changing curses, jokes, lines, removing content as they see fit. Seriously, who the hell are "you" to tell me what I can / can not, watch / listen to. Ok, I don’t want this to be a rant so other then all these obvious reasons already, lets talk language. A simple "Hai" could mean so many things in Japanese, while in English it is simply just "Yes". If you are a true anime fan, then you know when I say the word "Hai" can never be truly translated by the English language and can never truly be understood by someone who can not comprehend the complexity, beauty, ambiguity and, depth of the Japanese language. I mean just look at the word "Nakama" can "Nakama" be truly translated in English? Maybe with a full paragraph, but even then, hell no!

Tone and Voice, the voice and tone that a anime character (in Japanese) are just simply shocking, it feels insanely surreal, you can literally feel the emotion that the character is trying to project on to you. The Japanese language is amazingly expressive hence, as I stated before, the simple "Hai" while translated as "Yes" in English, the real fans know what the character is thinking, feeling, and, projecting as they say it, I don’t believe this could ever be achieved in the English language, or understood by some one who believes dubs are "good", no offence. None the less these are just some examples, the tip of the ice berg, I can go on forever as to why the English language no matter how "good" you think it may be will -never- be as good as the Japanese / real version of the anime, the real personality of the character can only be captured by the tone and the voice and the Japanese language because that is what it was originally created for! Un-cut, Un-edited, and in Japanese, that’s how I like my Anime and, Manga, hell even when I buy games I always search online or ask does this have the option to change the characters voice in to Japanese lol.

P.S
I wont lie, recently I got very curious about Inuyasha and Blood + on adult swim, big mistake. I couldn’t sit through even 5 minutes I just wanted to throw my remote at the TV. Like when the main character overhears that she is not really a part of their "family" that whole incident felt so fake and emotionless, I wanted to throw up.

Last edited by 0TaKu0; 2007-09-20 at 21:43. Reason: Typo.
0TaKu0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 21:51   Link #156
Ulquiorra
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ulquiorra Send a message via AIM to Ulquiorra Send a message via Yahoo to Ulquiorra
Quote:
i ve seen them and more...i ve got a good archive...

and learn the meaning of IMO.

in what point they were excellent?in what taste?yours?

beauty is in the eye of beholder once said a wise man...
You put your opinion out there. People have the right to comment on it. No reason to be defensive.

But frankly, saying all dubs "sux" doesn't tell me much. That's something an 8 year old would say. I expect people's opinions to be a little more informed. At least 0TaKu0 gave good well thought out reasons why he doesn't like dubs.

I believe all the series I mentioned help up in the language translation. You'll find most anime fans giving those series high marks for the dub. Many even prefer the Cowboy Bebop dub to the sub. There are a number of good dubs out there if you are open minded and don't prejudge them. Saying all dubbing is bad is just a poor generalization.
Ulquiorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 22:18   Link #157
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Quote:
You put your opinion out there. People have the right to comment on it. No reason to be defensive.

But frankly, saying all dubs "sux" doesn't tell me much. That's something an 8 year old would say. I expect people's opinions to be a little more informed. At least 0TaKu0 gave good well thought out reasons why he doesn't like dubs.

I believe all the series I mentioned help up in the language translation. You'll find most anime fans giving those series high marks for the dub. Many even prefer the Cowboy Bebop dub to the sub. There are a number of good dubs out there if you are open minded and don't prejudge them. Saying all dubbing is bad is just a poor generalization.
Well, there have only been two notably good dubs in my opinion. But have you ever seen anything else dubbed? Like those old Godzilla movies where nothing matches what the characters are saying? Plus back on topic, there's so much editing that'll have to be done and I'll doubt Cartoon Network would want to continue after a certain point. Naruto was just dubbed for a quick buck anyway, they'll probably tire of it eventually.
Old 2007-09-20, 22:42   Link #158
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
I agree with the Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, but the rest, I'd rather watch in Japanese. Cowboy Bebop was nice, because the voices (for me) fit the characters better than their Japanese counterparts. Now, I will admit I'm slightly biased, as I saw the dubs before the subs, so my preference is skewed through comfort but, even after re-watching those shows with subs, I found myself feeling a disconnect between the voices and the characters to which they were assigned. In the dub, Spike, Jet, Faye and Ed's voices all seem to coincide well with their character. In Japanese, all the voices seem a tad "shriek"-y...more high-pitched and aggressive than their dub counterparts. Again, this is probably largely due to my comfort within the "dub-world" of this show, but that's just how I felt.

Evangelion is another show that needs to be commented on. This is another show which I saw dubbed first, but I find that I prefer the subbed version, after seeing them both. This is one show where the more aggressive type of speaking seems to fit well, and that was severely lacking in the dub. On top of that, Misato, Shinji and Asuka felt too forced in the dubbed version. Their voices and actions seem to coincide much better in the Japanese version, and it made the characters and situations more believable. Eva was one of my favorite shows right from the very beginning, but I gained even more respect for it after seeing it the way it was originally shown.

Now, as for Naruto...bleh. It's terrible. And I don't mean terrible like when your pet dies, or someone drops a nasty deuce that smells up the whole house. I mean terrible like I want to throw myself off a roof after watching only a few minutes. I saw the original episodes the days of their premier (because I just couldn't help myself) and I was mortified. The annunciations of character names were pitiful, and the voices selected for each character were reprehensible. NAR-uto, ka-KA-shi, NE(neh)-ji and...believe it or not...sa-SU-ke. The first time I heard sa-SU-ke, I screamed so loud I woke my roommate up. How the hell can someone mess that up so bad? It's like they don't have a point of reference, or Japanese consultant, to discuss these things with. Now, I'll admit that they've gotten better over the course of the show, but there are still things that fall far short of their goal when it comes to the dub. I also don't understand how some of the people are chosen as voice-actors for their characters. Why would you choose an adult woman to play a 12-year-old boy? There are plenty of child actors, many of whom probably watch the show, who would provide an infinitely better voice than Naruto's currently effeminate vocals. Gai and Lee (though they probably couldn't be replicated even by someone who's seen the show) have absolutely no flow between them at all. In the Japanese verson, their voices almost coincide to become one; in the American dub, their voices strain to even fit into the same scene. Oh, and Sandaime...yeah, he sounds like he's about 40. In the end, this dub is just torture for your eardrums. Even my roommate, a newly committed member of the Naruto-fandom fold, was so angry about the American dub that he asked me to download all episodes starting from 1, so that he could see it as it was intended to be seen.

There are some good dubs. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and Evangelion are some. Naruto is definitely not!

PS. I forgot about Witch Hunter Robin. That show is kind of like Eva for me; great as a dub, even better in Japanese.
Old 2007-09-21, 01:43   Link #159
LokE
Otaku

Many Animated children are voiced by women, All the simpsons kids for an example, in fact Naruto is voiced by a 35y old women in japan aswell. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junko_Takeuchi
LokE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 03:19   Link #160
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokE View Post
Many Animated children are voiced by women, All the simpsons kids for an example, in fact Naruto is voiced by a 35y old women in japan aswell. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junko_Takeuchi
My argument isn't that a woman can't do it, it's that a woman was a bad choice for Naruto. I particularly enjoy the Simpsons, and was well aware of the fact that they are voiced by women. I was also aware that Naruto is, in Japan, voiced by a woman. In America, however, that voice translation does not seem to work as well, at least in my mind. He sounds too much like a girl, not enough like a pre-pubescent boy (yes, there's a difference). I'm not against the selection to use a woman, I'm against the selection to use that particular woman. She may be great in other things but, IMO, she sucks as Naruto.