AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-04, 13:25   Link #1
Silver_Scorcher

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

This anime IMO, has to be the funniest I've ever seen. It sure didn't start out that way. I got the first episode from Newtype magazine, and it was flat out boring. But I was told that it was a lot like Excel Saga and FLCL so I bought the discs when they came out. Don't let the first episode fool you, this is some funny stuff. Especially episode 12. My hat goes off to Luci Christian, who played Sashi in the DUB. Considering she's a grown woman, she pulls off playing a 12 year old horny guy considerably well. While overall the DUB was very good, it makes more sense to watch it in Japanese, much like with Excel Saga. That way all the jokes and puns make sense. On a side note, for such an off-the-wall type of anime, there's an actual story-line. A very vague yet complex one, but a story-line non the less. Go out and see for yourself. Oh yeah, Mune-Mune is fan-service central!
Old 2004-05-04, 14:09   Link #2
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
Ya, its hilarious. kinda the under dog gainex made no one else has heard of.
Old 2004-05-04, 18:07   Link #3
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
I've enjoyed it very much, the first ep. had one of my favorite scenes, that was part of my wanting to see more:
Spoiler:

Old 2004-05-04, 23:03   Link #4
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I think my favorite scene had to be...

Spoiler:
Old 2004-05-05, 00:40   Link #5
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
My favorite scene is from episode 8:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-05-05, 01:21   Link #6
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

I love this show as much as Furi Kuri. I love the wacky fun humor and the crazy characters and art style. I'm really glad that others have seen this gem and someone has created a thread about it.
Old 2004-10-27, 20:28   Link #7
AnimeFangirl

Hmm, I finished this show recently. Apart from episode 1, which didn't make too much sense till I read the manga, and episode 7 which was boring, most of the episodes had me cracking up completely. I think my favourites were Pyuui in ep 3 and
Spoiler:
However I hated^10 the weak, cop-out ending that this series had. It's like the whole series was aiming towards one point and at the last moment the writers just shied away in fear and settled for what would make the viewers happy. I was so pissed off when I watched that part, I haven't really been able to recommend the series to anyone else, but it makes good watching for anyone who likes crazy comedies.

EDIT: Even if you hate FLCL and Excel Saga like I do, you might still like Abenobashi, so don't let the fact that it's by the same makers deter you.
Old 2004-10-27, 20:59   Link #8
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
EDIT: Even if you hate FLCL and Excel Saga like I do, you might still like Abenobashi, so don't let the fact that it's by the same makers deter you.
Excel Saga was done by Gainax? (And no, I don't mean 'done by Gainax' as in Gainax doing in-between animation work for it, like Anime News Network claims they're doing for Initial D 4th Stage.)
Old 2004-10-27, 21:07   Link #9
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoi_Pocky
Excel Saga was done by Gainax? (And no, I don't mean 'done by Gainax' as in Gainax doing in-between animation work for it, like Anime News Network claims they're doing for Initial D 4th Stage.)
Excel Saga was done by J.C.STAFF. I dislike Excel Saga. I found its humor to be really distasteful and not funny at all.
Old 2004-10-27, 21:36   Link #10
AnimeFangirl

Oh really? I must have been misinformed. I guess that's one less strike against Gainax, then.
Old 2004-10-28, 11:02   Link #11
babbito2k
annoying white bat

The thing about this show is that it is all wrapped up in fandom and parody (which makes it hard to recommend to others). It scores a lot of points by being funny, but there's next to no story. I enjoyed it when I watched it (especially compared to any other post-Kare Kano series by GAINAX), but I am not sure I would care to watch it again.
Old 2004-10-29, 00:03   Link #12
Weissent
on and off member

Smile pantsu in space

... it was like episode #3 (if I remember correctly), when the goblin snatched away the girl's panties, and in the ensuing madness they end up in a giant robot. It cracked me up when they played the Evangelion Battle Theme in that scene
Old 2004-10-29, 00:12   Link #13
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weissent
... it was like episode #3 (if I remember correctly), when the goblin snatched away the girl's panties, and in the ensuing madness they end up in a giant robot. It cracked me up when they played the Evangelion Battle Theme in that scene
Gainax has an interesting habit of recycling musical scores. I think there is one song that appears in Evangelion, Kare Kano, Abenobashi and one other... I can't think of it off hand but it's pretty interesting when you start to notice the same song in multiple series. ^^;
Closed Thread