AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass R2 - Episode 25 Rating
Perfect 10 791 63.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 163 13.13%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 95 7.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 67 5.40%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 1.37%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 18 1.45%
4 out of 10 : Poor 7 0.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 7 0.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 0.32%
1 out of 10 : Painful 72 5.80%
Voters: 1241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-10-04, 02:29   Link #3981
tzia_n
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
I can see this lasting in Japan for sometime with something like Getter popularity, but anyone who sees this as the next Gundam is sadly mistaken.

As for the american anime fansub community

WHEN THE HELL HAS ANYTHING LASTED?

Except for Evangelion, and Dragonball Z I don't remember a single series being a long laster.

The American anime fansub community has the memory of a goldfish.
don't underestimate the memory of a goldfish they can be trained you know

and the stuff that lasts a long time are usually the ones that are critically acclaimed, not really the ones that are fan-centric. i have a hard time seeing CG as something critics would rave about. sure it's a great series but it isn't really an artistic masterpiece nor a revolutionary work

edit: 200th page
tzia_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 03:20   Link #3982
Sol Falling

Quote:
...Haruhi...
Not forgotten. Just pissing people off with the pointless stalling. :P

As for Code Geass...eh. Season 1 was better. That alone will always stain the series' legacy. It's a great end, for sure, but you have to put up with a lot of mediocrity to get there (like so many other things...).
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 03:26   Link #3983
tzia_n
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Not forgotten. Just pissing people off with the pointless stalling. :P

As for Code Geass...eh. Season 1 was better. That alone will always stain the series' legacy. It's a great end, for sure, but you have to put up with a lot of mediocrity to get there (like so many other things...).
lol i thought it was a given that sequels always is worse than the first, even in western movies. there had been only few exceptions to that afaik
Old 2008-10-04, 03:30   Link #3984
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Code Geass will probably remain fairly popular, but I strongly doubt it's going to reach timeless status like Gundam.

By the way, loved the list of the "greatest anime ever" there Charred Knight. Are all of them simultaneously the greatest anime ever or just one at a time?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 04:10   Link #3985
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Code Geass will probably remain fairly popular, but I strongly doubt it's going to reach timeless status like Gundam.

By the way, loved the list of the "greatest anime ever" there Charred Knight. Are all of them simultaneously the greatest anime ever or just one at a time?
Jut one at a time, each replacing the other.

Soon Gundam 00 will be called the greatest anime of all times, only to be replace by the Fullmetal Alchemist remake.

As for Code Geass, the first season was excellent, except for some bad spots here and their, for example I loved the couple of Villeta, and Ougi, especially about Ougi's struggling with his relationship with Villeta. My only complaint is that I felt Euphemia's death was handled badly, the entire thing started off bad, it got worse when the Britannians came off like evil idiots, and Lelouch came off like an ass.

In the second season character development takes a back seat to CRAZY PLOT TWISTS ALL THE TIME! Which while action packed prevent any real character development. It creates great materials for blogs but its horrible for character development. I just found video for the entire storyline of Disgaea 3, and the character development is much better in that game.

Can anyone tell me why Villeta and Ougi are back together after Villeta shot him? I have heard of slap slap kiss kiss, but slap gunshot wound to the stomach kiss sex?

Can anyone tell me why Guilford is a good guy? Cornelia makes sense since her problem was her ego, and with that destroyed she was good, but Guilford? He comes off like an ass in season 1, than all of a sudden I am supposed to believe he likes Japanese now?

I can understand why they did it, the average Britannian came off like an idiot racist in season 1, but couldn't we have had some character development to explain it. Maybe a conversation between Cornelia and Guilford that goes into their past, their relationship, and gives both much needed character development. It would have taken 5 minutes, instead we get the Kallen is kidnapped plotline that didn't accomplish anything but reveal that Britannian security is as crappy as the security in a gundam series.

The fact that whether I like a season is based on if the main character lived (I hate) or died (I like) is kind of not a good sign.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 04:24   Link #3986
tzia_n
Lurker

Quote:

Soon Gundam 00 will be called the greatest anime of all times, only to be replace by the Fullmetal Alchemist remake.

As for Code Geass, the first season was excellent, except for some bad spots here and their, for example I loved the couple of Villeta, and Ougi, especially about Ougi's struggling with his relationship with Villeta. My only complaint is that I felt Euphemia's death was handled badly, the entire thing started off bad, it got worse when the Britannians came off like evil idiots, and Lelouch came off like an ass.

In the second season character development takes a back seat to CRAZY PLOT TWISTS ALL THE TIME! Which while action packed prevent any real character development. It creates great materials for blogs but its horrible for character development. I just found video for the entire storyline of Disgaea 3, and the character development is much better in that game.

Can anyone tell me why Villeta and Ougi are back together after Villeta shot him? I have heard of slap slap kiss kiss, but slap gunshot wound to the stomach kiss sex?

Can anyone tell me why Guilford is a good guy? Cornelia makes sense since her problem was her ego, and with that destroyed she was good, but Guilford? He comes off like an ass in season 1, than all of a sudden I am supposed to believe he likes Japanese now?

I can understand why they did it, the average Britannian came off like an idiot racist in season 1, but couldn't we have had some character development to explain it. Maybe a conversation between Cornelia and Guilford that goes into their past, their relationship, and gives both much needed character development. It would have taken 5 minutes, instead we get the Kallen is kidnapped plotline that didn't accomplish anything but reveal that Britannian security is as crappy as the security in a gundam series.

The fact that whether I like a season is based on if the main character lived (I hate) or died (I like) is kind of not a good sign.
you're asking too much from an anime maybe the anime just got too popular that it succumbed to the pressure of having to please fans

oh btw, i could think of lolz answers for your questions but i doubt that's what you're after

and i have to agree on the pointlessness of the Kallen kidnapping plotline. you would have thought it would give way for Kallen to understand Lelouch as a person, but no, nothing came out of it. just a hax mecha... it may even be more useless than episode 12... well maybe not... but almost...
Old 2008-10-04, 04:39   Link #3987
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzia_n View Post
you're asking too much from an anime maybe the anime just got too popular that it succumbed to the pressure of having to please fans

oh btw, i could think of lolz answers for your questions but i doubt that's what you're after

and i have to agree on the pointlessness of the Kallen kidnapping plotline. you would have thought it would give way for Kallen to understand Lelouch as a person, but no, nothing came out of it. just a hax mecha... it may even be more useless than episode 12... well maybe not... but almost...
The only point was to give Guren a new upgrade, and to have the shocking plot twist of Suzaku about to use refrain on Kallen. That's nice for when you want someone to talk about a series, but how will that hold up in the long run? Suzaku didn't get any character development, and neither did Kallen, the highlight was Kallen punching Suzaku!

As for my expectations, it fell to the curse of having a great first season, but the second season wasn't as good. I expected the second season to be a lot better than the first season, and it was worse. I expected Taniguchi to thumb his nose at fan expectations like Tomino, and Anno did.
Old 2008-10-04, 04:40   Link #3988
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
Quote:
While it would be close, I think you're underestimating her and overestimating the Ko1's machine
No, no, no. Did you think Bismarck was all mecha specs and no talent? He's a better pilot than the others, that's what get him to his rank and not just his fancy mech with uber sword.

Quote:
It would have taken 5 minutes, instead we get the Kallen is kidnapped plotline that didn't accomplish anything but reveal that Britannian security is as crappy as the security in a gundam series.
Quote:
the Nunnally-Kallen conversation served no point either. After that, it's like the two never met.
Utau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 04:48   Link #3989
tzia_n
Lurker

lol maybe we should make a poll on what is the most pointless scene/plotline in CG
Old 2008-10-04, 04:55   Link #3990
Shuuda
Sniped.

Send a message via MSN to Shuuda
Quote:
but slap gunshot wound to the stomach kiss sex?

How was Guilford an ass? Did he not put himself in danger a lot to protect Cornelia? Which makes him a heroic guy.
Shuuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 05:02   Link #3991
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:

No, I think it will be simultaneously the greatest and worst anime of all time because while it's almost guaranteed to be ultra popular, we'll still have to do that thing we do with every Sunrise show that get's widely discussed on the internet. The trainwreck meme I mean. Could be a perfectly solid show, it doesn't matter, at some point somebodies going to try and label it a "trainwreck" and the whole thing will catch on like it did with R2 and BOOM, right back where we started. Watch and see. This time I'll even be ready with a bag of popcorn and some Pepsi to watch the show within a show.

By the way, you have a really strange view of the characters in this show. Are you sure you got every characters personality and character traits right, because that might account for why you think the character development was worse then a game like Disgaea 3 where everyone's cliche to the max.
Old 2008-10-04, 05:11   Link #3992
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
just felt like spamming..

2:00-2:16 - he fulfilled his promise.
Utau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 05:21   Link #3993
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuuda View Post
How was Guilford an ass? Did he not put himself in danger a lot to protect Cornelia? Which makes him a heroic guy.
His first meeting with Jeremiah/Orange-kun just instantly pegged me as him being an ass. The fact that Guilford didn't get that much screen time also hurt him from changing my perception of him.

Its not like he was Riza Hawkeye who had the whole Black Hayate story where she tells Fuey to throw out the dog, and when Fuey can find no one to take care of it, Riza takes it as her pet.

Quote:
lol maybe we should make a poll on what is the most pointless scene/plotline in CG
The death of the three Knights of the Round, with two dying in seconds. The whole thing made me just stare at the screen, the whole thing made the KoR look like a massive bunch of pussies.

Quote:
No, I think it will be simultaneously the greatest and worst anime of all time because while it's almost guaranteed to be ultra popular, we'll still have to do that thing we do with every Sunrise show that get's widely discussed on the internet. The trainwreck meme I mean. Could be a perfectly solid show, it doesn't matter, at some point somebodies going to try and label it a "trainwreck" and the whole thing will catch on like it did with R2 and BOOM, right back where we started. Watch and see. This time I'll even be ready with a bag of popcorn and some Pepsi to watch the show within a show.

By the way, you have a really strange view of the characters in this show. Are you sure you got every characters personality and character traits right, because that might account for why you think the character development was worse then a game like Disgaea 3 where everyone's cliche to the max.
Really? Cliche? You know a lot of characters like Mao?

You have seen another character whose master plan is to capture a hero, and steal his title, so he can beat his dad, because the laws of narrative casuality makes you?

The only other place I have seen that is Terry Pratchett's Discworld.
Old 2008-10-04, 05:26   Link #3994
SkyFuser
HijackThis Junior

Quote:
Nani mai hunni -.- For me it was borderline "Hey look at this it's so frickin retarded it's hilarious!" and "Hey look cracktastic time waster!"
SkyFuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 05:33   Link #3995
Dream_Traveller
Banned

The only reason Guilford 'looked like an ass' when he was talking down Jeremiah was because that, the talking, was his preordained job. He kicked ass elsewhere.

And the Rounds...well. With the exception of Anya, Gino, Nonette because she had a strong fanbase, and Suzaku (technically), the staff underwent a phase of culling filler characters.
Dream_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 05:52   Link #3996
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Traveller View Post
The only reason Guilford 'looked like an ass' when he was talking down Jeremiah was because that, the talking, was his preordained job. He kicked ass elsewhere.

And the Rounds...well. With the exception of Anya, Gino, Nonette because she had a strong fanbase, and Suzaku (technically), the staff underwent a phase of culling filler characters.
Which to me screams poor planning, why the hell would you make about 8 characters (I don't even remember how many they where) and only properly use 2? Just say that they where else where , you don't need to trash the entire group in the space of minutes.

Not even Bismarck was properly used he was supposed to be the best, and he was defeated in minutes. Imagine if that happened in MSG, and Ranbal Ral was defeated in minutes.

Rambal: This is no Zak-
Old 2008-10-04, 05:58   Link #3997
Dream_Traveller
Banned

Well, Ranbal was thus:

* Far more awesome, especially for the quote you listed, part cut-off as it is.

* In an age where characters being aces meant characters being aces.

* Also in an age where filler characters got to show their stuff and survived mostly till the end of the series (though they were subjected to Kill 'Em All, the Shrike Team lasted until the final episode of V Gundam...or the second-last.). Even now, they still have 'em- several incarnations of the Black Tristars, the Astray Girls, Clotho, Orga and Shani...but I digress.
Old 2008-10-04, 05:59   Link #3998
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Which to me screams poor planning, why the hell would you make about 8 characters (I don't even remember how many they where) and only properly use 2? Just say that they where else where , you don't need to trash the entire group in the space of minutes.

Not even Bismarck was properly used he was supposed to be the best, and he was defeated in minutes. Imagine if that happened in MSG, and Ranbal Ral was defeated in minutes.

Rambal: This is no Zak-
You're just focusing on one battle which also happened last. Bismarck held his own at several points throughout the parts of the series he was in and showed his dominance as the Knight of One. He'd also been in many battles before that point.

As for the other Knights, does it really matter that much? Yeah they were more boss fights then actual characters for the most part, but is it really worth dwelling on? I've noticed you tend to focus only on the aspects of the series which you found to be weak or can nitpick to death, but I'd be curious to know what you found to be good as judging by the amount of negativity in your posts and pointing out every minor fault in the series you can come up with, I have to wonder why you even bothered to follow this show all the way to the end. Something must have kept you watching, so what was it?
Old 2008-10-04, 06:01   Link #3999
Dream_Traveller
Banned

Quote:
= Something must have kept you watching, so what was it?
He said it was boredom.
Old 2008-10-04, 06:03   Link #4000
tzia_n
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFuser View Post
Nani mai hunni -.- For me it was borderline "Hey look at this it's so frickin retarded it's hilarious!" and "Hey look cracktastic time waster!"
Carline's (the other princess, not sure of name) role was pointless as well take her away and take away her lines, absolutely nothing changes at least for the KoR if thy weren't there suzaku's level of haxness would be different