Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-03-02, 08:22   Link #33161
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Russian Today was also using "Terrorist" to describe the new faction in Ukraine. Despite exactly zero terrorists acts being committed by them. In fact recently RT had been entirely unwatchable because Putin had been going heavy handed with the propaganda. There is almost no actual news reporting in away way in recent weeks by RT.
It should be noted that the EU would help their credibility a lot by booting out those Fascists in the Maidan...just saying...
Old 2014-03-02, 08:37   Link #33162
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I think you are a bit confused about the kind of direct influence EU has over anything that goes on there (hint: it's pretty much non existent).

A lot of examples reaching back as far as the french revolution, but also recent 'arab spring' have shown that such movements are prone to be taken over by extremists.
If it was a popular movement to begin with, then it is only the non-extremist masses who can prevent this.
Direct intervention from outside forces seems to rarely do anything good. Rather it plays into the extremists hands.
Old 2014-03-02, 09:08   Link #33163
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
I think you are a bit confused about the kind of direct influence EU has over anything that goes on there (hint: it's pretty much non existent).

A lot of examples reaching back as far as the french revolution, but also recent 'arab spring' have shown that such movements are prone to be taken over by extremists.
If it was a popular movement to begin with, then it is only the non-extremist masses who can prevent this.
Direct intervention from outside forces seems to rarely do anything good. Rather it plays into the extremists hands.
No no...I don't mean meddle directly but not you know....openly support such people? Or at least say something? Would make them look less clueless about everything in general
Old 2014-03-02, 10:19   Link #33164
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Upbeat Buffett eyes big acquisitions after record Berkshire profit
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A200EX20140301

Iran backtracks on reports of kidnapped guards' release
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A210F620140302

New threat to Brazil's breadbasket: a pesky caterpillar
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A1Q19L20140227
Old 2014-03-02, 21:33   Link #33165
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
No no...I don't mean meddle directly but not you know....openly support such people? Or at least say something? Would make them look less clueless about everything in general
A number of EU member states have legislators with similar views.
Old 2014-03-03, 00:01   Link #33166
JokerD

Ultra-Orthodox Jews protest against army service

So you don't want to get drafted because you want to stay at home and read books..
Old 2014-03-03, 01:56   Link #33167
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Ultra-Orthodox Jews protest against army service

So you don't want to get drafted because you want to stay at home and read books..
Comparing them to our girls here, I think at least they are willing to read books.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-03-03, 06:22   Link #33168
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Comparing them to our girls here, I think at least they are willing to read books.
Maybe so, but Singaporean women don't go around demanding their country maintain a hard line policy against their neighbors in a permanent state of low level military conflict while flat out refusing to share in the burden of fighting.

I tend to think maintaining your cultural way of life is fine to an extent, unless and until you demand that your countrymen work to maintain the economy you live in, fight in your defense, fund your healthcare system, while you do nothing of the sort, with your contribution being of some vague cultural value and nothing else, and there's a million of you. It's like Japan and its aging crisis, except these are young men perfectly capable of work and war. Utterly unsustainable.
Old 2014-03-03, 06:32   Link #33169
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Maybe so, but Singaporean women don't go around demanding their country maintain a hard line policy against their neighbors in a permanent state of low level military conflict while flat out refusing to share in the burden of fighting.
But they maintain a hardline policy of being coddled and "treated like a lady", and that we men serve our 2 years so they can live a good life like they have now. Princessy little bitches.

Quote:
I tend to think maintaining your cultural way of life is fine to an extent, unless and until you demand that your countrymen work to maintain the economy you live in, fight in your defense, fund your healthcare system, while you do nothing of the sort, with your contribution being of some vague cultural value and nothing else, and there's a million of you. It's like Japan and its aging crisis, except these are young men perfectly capable of work and war. Utterly unsustainable.
I agree that is hypocrisy alright. In fact, I do remember reading that there is a "holy battalion" of orthodox devout Jews where the only women in the camps are their wives. Not even female officers are allowed.

So why can't they be drafted into that unit?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-03-03, 16:25   Link #33170
Seitsuki
Onee!

Technically aren't they just NEETs? I totally understand how they feel! I don't like the outside either!
Old 2014-03-04, 08:47   Link #33171
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

U.S. court rejects BP appeal over Gulf spill losses
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A230IR20140304

At White House, Israel's Netanyahu pushes back against Obama diplomacy
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A220C920140304
Old 2014-03-04, 09:50   Link #33172
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Jersey honor student sues parents for school fees after they cut her off at age 18

Quote:
Rachel Canning, 18, claims her parents, Sean and Elizabeth Canning, threw her out of their Lincoln Park, N.J., home last year and stopped paying for her private high school, where she excelled as a cheerleader and lacrosse player. But Sean Canning says Rachel left voluntarily after she refused to abide by simple rules of the house.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2v0PitJtX
Old 2014-03-04, 09:54   Link #33173
sneaker

Quote:
where she excelled as a cheerleader and lacrosse player
Old 2014-03-04, 09:59   Link #33174
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
^Talk about a slow news day. Ugh, spoiled brats.
--------------
Florida girl, 14, savagely beaten by three adults after being suspended from school: police

Horrible news but at least those monsters were thrown in jail.

-----
Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu resists President Obama on peace compromises before White House meeting
Old 2014-03-04, 16:11   Link #33175
Tiberium Wolf

The Indian sanitary pad revolutionary

Nice story here. I like this quote from him:

"Luckily I'm not educated," he tells students. "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."
Old 2014-03-04, 17:26   Link #33176
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
The Indian sanitary pad revolutionary

Nice story here. I like this quote from him:

"Luckily I'm not educated," he tells students. "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."
It's fashionable to harp on education (and this guy certainly earned it...), but really, you get plenty of uneducated people who are neither curious nor entrepreneurial. And educated people with either or both of those qualities.
Old 2014-03-04, 21:30   Link #33177
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Obama budget sets up election-year clash with Republicans
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A2309B20140304

Ecuador $9.5 billion ruling against Chevron was corrupt: U.S. judge
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A231CZ20140304
Old 2014-03-05, 04:51   Link #33179
Tiberium Wolf

This is what the Internet actually looks like: The undersea cables wiring the Earth

Nice pics there. I didn't know we had so many under water cables. I though we had 2-3 linking major land masses.
Old 2014-03-05, 05:57   Link #33180
konart

Putin among Nobel Peace nominees
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A231R920140304

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international