AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 49
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 5 6.58%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 6 7.89%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 5 6.58%
7 out of 10: Good... 10 13.16%
6 out of 10: Average... 12 15.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 9 11.84%
4 out of 10: Poor... 8 10.53%
3 out of 10: Bad... 4 5.26%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 6 7.89%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 11 14.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-25, 10:41   Link #161
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Unfortunately that tends to happen in real life wars. The people who start them don't get punished like we wished. Take the Animorphs book series--it didn't end with a huge final battle, one of the heroes was killed and the villain who started it all survived. Tried in court and all, but ultimately was not executed.

On the other hand, Ezelcant IS getting punished in a sense. While he strove to create his ideal Eden, ultimately he was proven that his goals were wrong, and while there was a peace afterwards, his death means he's not able to live and experience that peace.
Old 2012-09-25, 10:49   Link #162
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
The biggest war criminal of them died without a single regret.

I find that a disturbing message Gundam Age is trying to convey.
dude.

DUDE.

DUUUUUUDEEEEE.

Ezelcant was just sad over losing his son, and shit! of course we can forgive him, he is supposed to be sympatetic and.. shit! Yeah.
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 10:51   Link #163
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
Ezelcant was just sad over losing his son, and shit! of course we can forgive him, he is supposed to be sympatetic and.. shit! Yeah.
He also had a very big nose. I wonder if that was intentional

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 10:59   Link #164
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

But Tak, the size of his nose showed how sad he was!
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 11:01   Link #165
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
But Tak, the size of his nose showed how sad he was!
I guess you are right!!

And here I thought it might have had something to do with Pinocchio and the fact that he is, uhh... a lying SOB?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2012-09-25, 11:09   Link #166
galdr

Man, Ezelcant doesn't even get called out for his BS.
Seriously, " I entrust the Earth to you, Kio"
LOL who the heck he think he is? Earth doesn't belong to him or Kio.

Flit should've confront him and talk how pathetic Ezelcant and Vagan truly is. Flit doesn't even need to kill Ezelcant, he just need to said he won't even bother wasting energy killing Ezelcant.
galdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 11:13   Link #167
Tak

You know, with all of Ez's faults... he did spare Kio's life... I have to give him credit for that. Then again, that act alone became his undoing.

- Tak

Old 2012-09-25, 11:18   Link #168
galdr

And Kio end up becoming the one of the worst Gundam protagonist ever.

If Kio ends up killed, genocide ending would be guaranteed or we will be having SUPER PIROTTO RAGEE. The final arc would be guaranteed to be at least 10 times better than what we got.

Yeah, I expect Flit will go berserk with his new Gundam, AGE-1P Psycho and killed all Vagans by his own hands if Kio killed by Vagans
galdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 11:25   Link #169
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by galdr View Post
If Kio ends up killed, genocide ending would be guaranteed or we will be having SUPER PIROTTO RAGEE.
Speaking of that... the last duel Asemu and Zehart had was a major letdown and just absolutely godawful.

It took no less than 3 minutes for a previous generation Gundam to completely thrash Zehart's counterpart, which was supposedly the top-of-the-line and personal model for the big evil lord himself. CURBSTOMP!!

Nyuh!?

- Tak

Old 2012-09-25, 11:27   Link #170
overloard

Ezelcant got jail-free card by giving authority and responsibility over Eden bullshit to Zeheart and effectively making him a scapegoat. After he relinquished his position as leader of Vagans he was just sick dying old man, of course he wasn't going to be punished or killed in revenge for his crimes.
overloard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 11:30   Link #171
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

You know, when I think about it again, how come Ezelcant's wife still looks that hot after all these years ? I mean, look at Ezel. He has changed from a generally good-looking adolescent into that grandpa look while his wife doesn't even have a wrinkle!
Old 2012-09-25, 11:48   Link #172
overloard

Prolonged cold sleeps most likely.

I more interested in how Ezelcant managed to stay in power for so long, considering that he probably had to spent decades in the cold sleep. Hard to believe that no one tried to usurp him, especially with people like Desil and Zanald around, who didn't give a smallest shit about his ideals.
Old 2012-09-25, 12:03   Link #173
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by overloard View Post
Prolonged cold sleeps most likely.

I more interested in how Ezelcant managed to stay in power for so long, considering that he probably had to spent decades in the cold sleep.
He probably didn't do cold sleep as much and was in control most of the time, which would explain why he looks much older than his wife.

Other than that what is there to up throw? He set up a system where the Vagans can let off their hatre (randomly attack space colonies on a whime), and no matter what his ideals are ultimately, it still involves "killing some Earthnoids", which is perfectly fine with the crazies like Decil whom are kept happy in the front line "playing" rather than doing politics anyway.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 12:18   Link #174
Scorpiopt

The All SID vs Vagan Gear scene i have been thinking . wen SID connects to Vagan Gear it glows red , and then it starts to glow green ( same color wen an x-rounder uses its power) .
So could it possible be that SID tried to take over Vagan Gear and it failed due to its pilot's power? and that interaction caused him to run wild ?

Also look what decided to make a cameo ( those who saw first gen will see what i am talking about , its not in red but :

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/600/sa...gundamagea.jpg
Scorpiopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 12:58   Link #175
overloard

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
He probably didn't do cold sleep as much and was in control most of the time, which would explain why he looks much older than his wife.

Other than that what is there to up throw? He set up a system where the Vagans can let off their hatre (randomly attack space colonies on a whime), and no matter what his ideals are ultimately, it still involves "killing some Earthnoids", which is perfectly fine with the crazies like Decil whom are kept happy in the front line "playing" rather than doing politics anyway.
Considering that he doesn't seem to have aged at all between gen 2 and gen 3, he must have been cold sleeping a lot. And frankly, he doesn't seem that old, not older than Flit anyway, who is at least 20-30 years younger than Ezelcant.

No matter what kind of system he set up, he can't expect them to obey him if he shows up once in a couple of years to give some new orders and than goes back to cold sleep. Vagan higher-ups are not brainwashed zombies, they surely have ambitions beyond following Ezelcant's plan. Zanald is prime example, he is power hungry and doesn't have twisted unshakable loyalty to Ezelcant like Zeheart. I think it's a miracle that the man didn't try to backstab and usurp Ezelcant at the first opportunity, considering it's the first thing he did after learning of Zeheart's appointment.
Old 2012-09-25, 13:10   Link #176
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Arrested, put to trial and executed.

As was other collaborators.

If that is the fate of traitors to the Federation then Shanalua had no reason to believe that the system would be lenient on her.

Despite pleas of Kio that his grandfather can work something out. Of course Shanalua wouldn't believe that... It's Flit Asuno that led the purge.

In the end Kio can't convince anybody not to shoot but his grandfather.

Considering the war was all but won by the Federation in name I find it dubious that the Vegans probably got a ceasefire or a conditional surrender.

Something that Japan wanted for the end of the Pacific war. Of course we knew the US and its allies would accept nothing but an unconditional surrender.

I don't think Gundam Age's writers got the message of MS Gundam that a genocidal state has to be defeated. Remember Tomino lived through the aftermath of Japan's surrender. Recognizing his country's old leaders and its allies were card carrying villains.

Flit may have forgiven the Vegans but in the interest of justice war criminals should be tried for war crimes.

The biggest war criminal of them died without a single regret.

I find that a disturbing message Gundam Age is trying to convey.
Maybe there is a resurgence in Japanese nationalism? After all, there are Class-A war criminals enshrined as deities, and some Japanese believe their war was "righteous" because they were liberating asian countries from white imperialists...you know, by murdering them and treating them worse than the white imperialists...lol
Old 2012-09-25, 13:18   Link #177
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
Maybe there is a resurgence in Japanese nationalism? After all, there are Class-A war criminals enshrined as deities, and some Japanese believe their war was "righteous" because they were liberating asian countries from white imperialists...you know, by murdering them and treating them worse than the white imperialists...lol
I think you guys are exaggerating just a tad bit from this show...

If this show was meant to instigate a resurgence in Japanese nationalism, I'd say it failed utterly.

- Tak

Old 2012-09-25, 13:35   Link #178
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post

Yeah, I think the real threats to Ezelcant's power would have been the moderates who wanted to just reveal themselves to the Earthlings and do something between begging and demanding help (depending on how much military might was involved) and repatriation. But I guess they'd have been dealt with before Angel Fall, and after that it wasn't precisely an option.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 13:46   Link #179
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

pretty bland and predictable ending
animation is pretty good though and that scene with Yurin and other Gen.1 member T__T

overall : 7/10

if only asemu is the only main protagonist in this series
Old 2012-09-25, 13:48   Link #180
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Never said it was meant to instigate it, just that some of the things in the show might hint at a resurgence in nationalism or maybe it's just that the guy who wrote it sympathizes with war criminals, idk. Either way you have to admit they went out of their way to make Ezelcant sympathetic, he treated Kio like a guest, he gave him pills for Lu, he spared him in combat. In fact, he never does anything evil on screen! It's as if everything was passed on to Zeheart and he took over as being the evil bastard, and Ezelcant was absolved of all his crimes.

Tags
weekly episode discussion