AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-12-01, 08:10   Link #241
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

We really shouldn't be surprised by this. The first movie practically deleted all the side characters, and Arf and Yuuno were pretty much side characters in A's.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 08:31   Link #242
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Jeez. Yuuno, I kinda expected, even though he had some pretty critical parts (teleporting Fate in to help save Nanoha, holding off Vita so Nanoha goes unmolested until Shamal shows up, etc). I presume they'll stick him in the library early and leave him there.

But Arf? She's the one that clashes with Zafira each time and holds him off! Unless they plan to drastically minimize that, too.

Also.. no Lieze twins? There goes some of Chrono's moments. Is there any character they won't minimize to focus on their beloved? Does everyone exist just to give glory to the almighty?

I am sadly amused by their "troubled deciding on the main character even though Nanoha is in the title" comment. I read that as "Hmm, Nanoha is in the title and Hayate is a big part... but how do we make this all about Fate?"

Man, color me cynical today, even more so than normal. But this is really adding to my fears about how they plan to cut A's down to size. The true test will be if they cut Fate's absorption into the book. I don't think they will, even though it's an easy thing to cut to save time.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 08:46   Link #243
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
I'm kinda expecting those cuts. Heck I think the whole Movie series are just catering to the Strikers fans ever since the first one. I'm thinking this movie will get people lost like Unlimited Blade Works movie with all the cuts.
ZeroIchiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 09:19   Link #244
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Except that StrikerS actually had other characters with leading roles. Teana and Subaru had major parts in StrikerS. Even Nanoha's development was more Nanoha and Vivio than it was Nanoha and Fate.

On Arf and Zafira... while these two did clash every time they met, their fights mostly happened off-screen. I'd say they're planning to do the same here.

I'm going to be the voice of positivity here and assume that the "lead character" thing is about Hayate. A's itself was more Hayate's story to begin with, so for the movie they might well decide to focus more there and less on Nanoha.
Old 2011-12-01, 09:52   Link #245
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Man, color me cynical today, even more so than normal. But this is really adding to my fears about how they plan to cut A's down to size. The true test will be if they cut Fate's absorption into the book. I don't think they will, even though it's an easy thing to cut to save time.
Naah, it's Fate we're talking about, they'll never cut her story. They'll even make this Magical Girl Lyrical Fate if they really need the extra time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
On Arf and Zafira... while these two did clash every time they met, their fights mostly happened off-screen. I'd say they're planning to do the same here.
Except that without Arf, Zafira won't be fighting anybody. And if they cut any of his fight with Arf, they're basically cutting his role too.

...sucks to be the only male Wolkenritter
Old 2011-12-01, 10:05   Link #246
Kuze

That reminds me, how is the final battle gonna go? Already confirming that several people aren't going to be there doesn't sound much like a good start to improving it.
Kuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 10:13   Link #247
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuze View Post
That reminds me, how is the final battle gonna go? Already confirming that several people aren't going to be there doesn't sound much like a good start to improving it.
My guess is that they'll skip the binds and teleports and go straight for the BOOM. Notice how the ones getting axed are those with support powers. The final battle will be full of beams and explosions, and those who can't do those stuff will spend whatever little screen time they have watching the pretty fireworks from the window of the Asura, just like that final fight in Advent Children.

...that ship better carry good popcorn.
Old 2011-12-01, 11:16   Link #248
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

All this make me think the Wolkenritter itself will me mercilessly shafted in the StrikerS movie if that is ever made. All of them are side characters with the possible exception of Vita.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 11:22   Link #249
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
That's just the nature of things. Yeah, it sucks when your favourite characters get shoved into the background, but we're talking about 1.5 hour long movies here. It can't be avoided unless you want a horribly cramped and rushed movie.

A TV series is less excusable because you have 13-26 episodes to flesh characters out.
Old 2011-12-01, 11:28   Link #250
Goldsmith

Vita for new main character!

....hopefully.
Goldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 11:30   Link #251
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Fpr dsopme reason i disagree with those who said MOVIE 1st did a horrible job with side characters. Sure, Nanoha's family got their time incredibly reduced but they're still introduced to the audience and , like i said before, most of the key scenes with Suzuka and Arisa make it's way into the film.

It's a shame Yuuno is left out of the battlefield but i think there still be some scenes with him apporting something to the plot(exposition, what else xDU), and the Lieze Twins dissapearance hopefully will be used to improve a little on the character who will remain. I wonder if we get the bit when Arisa and Suzuka got trapped inside the barrier during the climatic battle against Reinforce xD.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-12-01, 11:44   Link #252
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

For minor characters with no bearing on the plot they're lucky enough to be even shown to still exist. I like them too but Alisa and Suzuka had no impact on Nanoha and Fate's conflict, and neither did Nanoha's family. There is nothing structurally wrong with reducing their role.

Taking Yuuno out of action is fine, because his big contribution to the plot was his work at the library. All Suzuka has to do is meet Hayate and be the one to introduce her to Nanoha. If she gets no other screen time then that's fine.
Old 2011-12-01, 11:48   Link #253
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

A shame but i agree with you, hope that Arisa manage to get her cameo in an say some lines(what can i say? i like Rie Kugimiya's voice xD).

Wonder if we get a expanded "Yagami family moments" segway or maybe some animated depiction of the Wolkenritter's past, that would be cool.

~The ASFB~

Last edited by Akiyoshi; 2011-12-01 at 15:27.
Old 2011-12-01, 11:57   Link #254
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Seeing as how Fate's family got expanded on (which was plot relevant, btw) in the first movie, I would like to think more focus will be put on the Yagami family dimension in this movie.

But if they haven't decided on the main character yet, popularity considerations may win out and the focus will be on Fate and the Harlaowns.
Old 2011-12-01, 11:59   Link #255
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Which could potentially be terrible for the quality, as A's was pretty much Hayate's story. More focus on Fate would mean loss on Hayate's department, undermining the core plot of A's as a whole.
Old 2011-12-01, 12:23   Link #256
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

I agree with you, but what would make more money? Yeah. Creative integrity is only so strong against the all mighty dollar. I'm looking at you, SEED Destiny.
Old 2011-12-01, 13:33   Link #257
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Please don't turn the A's movie thread into another "Fate is shafting other characters" debate. She wasn't even mentioned this time, and already people are assuming it. Who the main character is aside, he might have meant that each of the three aces might have their opportunity to be the main character. He mentioned something about the main character being the one who saves people from their despair, or something to that extent...

Especially Kaijo who pretty much put words into Tsuzuki's mouth.
Old 2011-12-01, 13:51   Link #258
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*shrug* Can you really blame us? The worry wouldn't be there if there was no precedent.
Old 2011-12-01, 14:02   Link #259
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Well there is no precedent outside of "lol Fate is popular."

I got someone else to translate the sentence Mow Yun wasn't sure of.

"Nanoha continues being the main character like in the previous one, but like in the TV version the worrying, hesitating and being troubled will not be the story's focus for the most part."

He said it has strange sentence structure, but that should be right.

Being the main character in one of Tsuzuki's story just means you're destined to be a necessity towards the final battle. Not like it's some huge importance or anything.
Old 2011-12-01, 14:03   Link #260
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

"lol Fate is popular" is a legitimate concern, Demi. We've already explained it to you in one thread why we're concerned about it.