AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Old 2011-04-02, 22:40   Link #401
SilverHeimdall

www.barnesandnoble.com

As weird as that may seem, its where I found the last remaining copy of Fruits Basket Ultimate Edition vol. 3

They had run out of stock everywhere else, and I only happened to find this store by luck after whining about the unavailability of it on IRC - there aren't any Barnes & Noble in Canada I think, at least not in my Province.

(Amazon, Ebay, etc all have it USED starting at something like $170 and going to over $400, screw that very much!)

So sometimes you can be lucky and find something out of print where they still have it in stock - and somehow I guess I bought the last? As they pulled down the ability to buy them New for the usual price, my order is marked as Shipped. So I guess I was extremely lucky?!

Last edited by SilverHeimdall; 2011-04-02 at 22:55.
SilverHeimdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-20, 20:47   Link #402
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I get most of my manga from B&N (online)... their recent restructure of their "brick'n'mortar" stores has decimated most of the book sections (including manga) in favor of ..... O.o games and froufrou.

Out of curiosity, I checked the current NOOK offerings of manga to see if manga publishers were experimenting with the new e-book field. Well, about 95% of the offerings were yaoi and there were only a couple of hundred stock items of manga.

Manga is one area I might consider e-books simply because a series takes so much shelf space and the resell value is often nil. But it doesn't appear that much of the publishing market has considered it.
Old 2011-05-24, 15:41   Link #403
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Manga is one area I might consider e-books simply because a series takes so much shelf space and the resell value is often nil. But it doesn't appear that much of the publishing market has considered it.
And I only let DRM-free stuff touch my eReader, which I doubt many Japanese licensors would agree to. Well, maybe some small press companies or doujinshi creators would.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-06, 13:33   Link #404
AuroraFlash
good-natured spirit
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to AuroraFlash Send a message via MSN to AuroraFlash
What is DRM?
I just know that German stuff is the worst. Despite French translations, German anime and manga are converted into cartoon stuff. Yes, anime to Germans is the same as cartoons. You know what that means. It means that the content gets cut down to a level where you can't possibly accept it from the time you become a teenager… ever.
No matter if we're talking about DBZ, Naruto, Hellsing or stuff, it all shrinks to the tiny level of Pokemon or even Digimon… they did it with Inuyasha, One Piece and especially Naruto. You don't see any full contact or just any fist or foot making contact with the target. You see extra large glaring and gazing scenes with characters thinking so slow you must believe they are totally brain-rotten. Is this to be accepted as licensed? Well, I do evade it by buying lots of stuff from Britain because I dislike having Japanese with French Subtitles and the Britain stuff is just okay (as is the Canadian…), but I think the French ones are better quality. French and Japanese… they got good contact. Germans not. So not There are few average and acceptable, many bad and worse.
Old 2011-06-06, 16:03   Link #405
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraFlash View Post
What is DRM?
"Digital rights management":

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm

Basically, anything in digital files that's there to restrict how they can be used. Like if a movie file is only allowed to be used on one computer, and if it's moved, it locks itself down and doesn't work anymore. Or like how HarperCollins is making it so the eBooks they sell to libraries automatically stop working after they've been read 26 times. etc etc. There's many varieties of DRM.
Old 2011-10-17, 20:00   Link #406
Puddingman

I didn't see this site posted on here. It's a listing of stores that sell manga/anime in NYC, Philly, and NJ. If there are any East Coasters here check this out!

http://www.blueshinra.com/misc/shopping.shtml

I know off hand the Out of Time Comics store in Philly is no longer in business.
Old 2011-10-27, 10:02   Link #407
mizou
Observer

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/pjjdm117.png/

sorry but which manga is this ?
Old 2011-10-31, 19:27   Link #408
AnimeFangirl

DVD question, not manga, but are all of Right Stuf's DVD's official? The format always says "Hybrid," and my understanding was that legit DVDs are usually coded to one region or another. Plus their items are suspiciously cheap. This has probably been covered before, but I thought I'd check before I wasted any money on fakes.

EDIT: Did some Google research and they seem to be okay. I'll experiment with a DVD or two first and then buy the rest if it pans out.

Last edited by AnimeFangirl; 2011-10-31 at 19:40.
AnimeFangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 19:57   Link #409
Puddingman

^

Although I haven't bought from them yet, from what I understand they're a legitimate company and very well known. You shouldn't have any troubles with them.
Old 2011-10-31, 20:22   Link #410
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
DVD question, not manga, but are all of Right Stuf's DVD's official? The format always says "Hybrid," and my understanding was that legit DVDs are usually coded to one region or another. Plus their items are suspiciously cheap. This has probably been covered before, but I thought I'd check before I wasted any money on fakes.

EDIT: Did some Google research and they seem to be okay. I'll experiment with a DVD or two first and then buy the rest if it pans out.
Yes, Rightstuf is 100% legit. They're even a sister company to a US licensor (Nozomi International). "Hybrid" refers to the audio tracks, in that there's both a Japanese and English one.
Old 2011-11-01, 11:44   Link #411
AnimeFangirl

Ah, okay. Thanks for letting me know!
Old 2011-12-01, 10:29   Link #412
Prue

I'm looking after a Japanese manga/book/magazine site
There you can find old, use manga's. Secondhand store perhaps

I looking for two manga's but can't fin them. They seems not to be out in the store anymore.
Both is in Japanese
So far I haven't been so lucky, mostly I see "Out of stock"
So I still looking and hope I perhaps can get some help here

I already check the links to the stores in the topic .
Well well ^^
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-05, 17:01   Link #413
JediNight
キズランダム

[Support Authors] How to do the most good

Manga artists and writers work long hours to provide you with the series you enjoy reading. Because of the serial nature of manga, they have to produce output pretty much every week, while also juggling compilation of completed volumes, future planning, promo art, etc. Ever read on ANN about authors getting sick or taking breaks? This is why.

What you can do to support them:
Buying the Japanese compiled volumes (tankobon) is the best way for you to support their efforts and (hopefully) keep them serializing the comic. While buying a translated copy is better than merely pirating, it's merely a feel-good placebo. Foreign licenses happen months or over a year+ after those chapters were penned. Not only is the royalty they receive that far down the chain a pittance, but it's so long after the fact, it doesn't help keep your favorite manga author employed. The sales are also a drop in the bucket compared to the home market in Japan.
(e.g. Naruto in the US sells 50k per volume, in Japan it's close to 1mil)

Information you should have:
ISBN#
Manga title in Japanese

www.mangaupdates.com is a good place to copy/paste the official name from.
www.amazon.co.jp is a good place to then paste that name and find the ISBN# for your title near the bottom of the page. (Amazon refers to it as ISBN-10)

The only major book chain I'm aware of in the US now is Kinokuniya. There are undoubtedly other smaller ones you could probably order from as well. Anyone living in Europe or elsewhere that knows of Japanese bookstores local to you feel free to post and I can add them to this thread. They can order pretty much any manga or light novel title you can get an ISBN# for, even ones they normally don't stock in the store or online. They usually arrive in around 2 weeks. You can either pick them up in person if you happen to live near one of their locations, or they can ship them to you cheaply via Fedex or such. Base shipping is $8, but only $1 more per manga afaik. Shipping is free on orders over $100.

http://www.kinokuniya.com/us/index.php/fct001?param=JP

Honto is my go-to site for importing manga and light novels. http://honto.jp
Here is a guide for registering an account and getting your address setup if your Japanese is weak: http://kaizora.wordpress.com/2012/05...nup-for-honto/
There is no markup on MSRP, they often have coupons or 3x-10x point sales for rewards, and their packaging is impeccable. I use SAL Small Parcel for shipping: It's not insured like EMS, but it's WAY cheaper, and I've never lost an order. Delivery takes around 14-21 days via SAL. EMS less than a week, but then you're probably paying more than just going with Kino.

Yesasia is also a decent place for manga or light novels as long as you order enough for their free shipping costs, because the "free shipping" is built into the price already. They took a bit longer when I ordered from them: About 3 weeks, since they send it from HK to LA, then ship it domestically. Honto is better pricing though IMHO. Their catalog search is also terrible. I recommend using Google to search their site. And be aware that they often format the titles in romaji and very oddly. IE: Log Horizon ログ・ホライゾン is like roguhoraizon blahblah blah blah. So you sometimes have to try multiple searches to find stuff.

Why ordering this way is great:
-- You don't pay for expensive SAL shipping. Only local shipping costs.
-- Exchange rate has rebounded to ~100:1 so after-shipping costs for volumes are only $6.75-$8.25 each (MSRP 440-600yen)
-- Directly support your author and keep them serialized. Get them the best royalty.
-- No worries about editing changes or censorship.

There is a growing selection of eBooks available for Japanese manga as well, but I believe some of them are region-locked, so you may have to use a VPN to purchase them. Places for eBooks include HMV, Honto, Nico Seiga, Amazon Japan, etc.

Personal disclosure:
My entire manga collection is original Japanese volumes that I all got for less than the English counterparts. I keep the scanlations archived, but it's also a good learning experience if you are studying Japanese

Last edited by JediNight; 2013-11-27 at 16:54. Reason: Updated 11-2013
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 10:58   Link #414
JcomicWorld.com
Banned

MANGA exporting from Japan to other countries

JcomicWorld.com
http://www.jcomicworld.com/
MANGA written in Japanese exporting from Japan to all over the world

Hi!
I found this thread and knew many people are looking for MANGA. Then I noticed I can help you.
I am in Japan so I can find items you want to import from Japan.

Do you know the online store [JcomicWorld.com]
http://www.jcomicworld.com/
I am a stuff of this store.
I know there is very few MANGA in the store but we are adding.

Price is reasonable
MANGA written in Japanese(not translated) $8.99, $9.99~.

Delivering is by EMS or SAL.
EMS : to Asia $15~, North America $20~, Europe $25~, depends on weight.
SAL : for example, one comic to NY, USA is $5.

Of course I am happy if you buy goods from our store but am happier that non-Japanese-people become happy with Japanese products.
So if you are looking for MANGA, Light Novel, ANIME or whatever Japanese stuff, I wanna help you. Just let me know and feel free to ask me.
jcomicworld(at)gmail.com
JcomicWorld.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 00:15   Link #415
NanoDesu
Beyond the Event Horizon

For Japanese untranslated manga/novels/whatever at least, for the longest time I have used bk1, which recently merged with honto:

http://honto.jp/netstore.html

If you know the minimal amount of Japanese necessary to navigate the site, they're very reliable, and ship SAL/EMS to the US. And everything is MSRP sticker price so you know you're not paying a cent more than you should be. For people who buy high volume, they also have lots of good promotions in place (for example, buy more than 10k yen and get a 1k yen coupon for your next purchase).

Super recommended.

The other source I sometimes use when I want a used complete set of something for relatively cheap is yahoo Japan auctions (with a deputy service)... but that place is a huge crapshoot.
Old 2012-06-01, 16:41   Link #416
Micchi
兄さんが望むなら...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDesu View Post
For Japanese untranslated manga/novels/whatever at least, for the longest time I have used bk1, which recently merged with honto:

If you know the minimal amount of Japanese necessary to navigate the site, they're very reliable, and ship SAL/EMS to the US. And everything is MSRP sticker price so you know you're not paying a cent more than you should be. For people who buy high volume, they also have lots of good promotions in place (for example, buy more than 10k yen and get a 1k yen coupon for your next purchase).

Super recommended.

The other source I sometimes use when I want a used complete set of something for relatively cheap is yahoo Japan auctions (with a deputy service)... but that place is a huge crapshoot.
I second this. Note that the coupon only lasts to the end of the next month after the order is delivered (if points are assigned in June, you have till end of July), so if you combine preorders, that's normally fine if you order in bulk every 3 months like I do. I'm most impressed with their packaging: always perfect!
Old 2012-06-10, 10:45   Link #417
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDesu View Post

Poking around the site, I notice they have ebooks available (for example). Anyone know if (A) you can purchase them outside Japan, and (B) is there any decent software for the "xmdf" format that they use?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 16:45   Link #418
Micchi
兄さんが望むなら...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Poking around the site, I notice they have ebooks available (for example). Anyone know if (A) you can purchase them outside Japan, and (B) is there any decent software for the "xmdf" format that they use?
Here's the help on e-books outside of Japan.

It seems that you could purchase them, but no help support would be given for customers from abroad.
Old 2012-06-23, 12:47   Link #419
Nidhogg

I mostly buy my manga/light novels from brick and mortar stores, but have bought manga/light novels and anime online. I have bought some items online and have had mixed results. starlightbreaker.com got seized by the feds for dealing in bootlegs, animeharu.com, at one time was reliable, now they take your money and run! (Disputed charges and changed card #, all a pain in the ass!) I've looked at justmanga.com and am wondering if I should give them a try, any opinions out there?
Nidhogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 09:58   Link #420
rxn

you can also utilize unlimited downloads from www.movie-distro.com! hope this helps

Tags
buying, import, japanese language, manga