3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-02-12, 18:09   Link #61
Batknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's really Gaelio's interpretation. While it's not completely false, his blindness to Gjallarhorn's wrong makes it flawed.

Besides, one thing that Macky did understand is that power comes in many forms.
While it is Gaelio's interpretation, I've seen nothing from Mcgillis's point of view that proves it wrong. His history and the way he's gone about conducting his revolution all point to it being true unless Mcgillis pulling one over on all of us.
Batknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-12, 18:10   Link #62
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
In this very episode Gaelio said he and Carta would and were supporting McGillis in his reforms and even after he was "killed" he still went pretty far reinvestigate his motives before deciding Rustal Is lesser evil and promise him his obedience, so I think you are wronging him quite bit
Thing is Season 1 Gaelio and Carta were Iok Light. Now Gaelio admits he was wrong in keeping going after Tekkadan out of hurt pride and prejudice.

After nearly being killed and more than a year in hiding he managed to reflect on his actions.

Iok's presence probably helped. I could have been as stupid and uncaring as this guy.

While Iok is grounded I don't think he has the brain cells to put two and two together what he did wrong.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-12, 18:24   Link #63
kgrodriguez
Three Stars and a Sun

I do wonder what the drawbacks of this pseudo AV system (I think Vidar referred to it as AV System Type E) has?

I mean, it has to have a drawback compared to the original AV system, right? Either that or the original AV system has yet another feature yet to be shown - one that the Type E doesn't have.

In essence, it's like the Original GN drives versus the fake ones. The fake GN drives got rid of one big drawback that the original has (difficult to produce) but in turn, lacked some of the features of the original ones (Trans Am, at first, and the innovator-evolving,non-harmful particles).

In here, the Type E gets rid of the problem with the brain not being able to process to much information, but at what cost?
kgrodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-12, 19:20   Link #64
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
Yeesh with a past like that, my praises to McGillis for being tough...Is what I wanna say but all in all it just made it clear that Chocoman is off his rocker. He's not just normal a Char clone but CCA Char a one at that.
Everything he say's sounds great and rather inspiring but deeper than that...

I wonder if there is something special about Bael, it can't just be a King Arthur symbolism right?

People called it a long time ago regarding Ein's fate heck, they managed to get the whole system thing right too. At least Julietta can now have AV power levels without getting the surgery herself...Oh wait Hush too.
You seem to be forgetting the part where the new system requires ANOTHER HUMANS BRAIN to work (and even then it was a special case since it was Ein, someone who's brain was already attached to AV), Tekkadan would never stoop to that level, nor do they have the means to replicate it. Julietta could always get AV, but it would have to be in the raw form like with Ein.

As for Macky's system, depends whether he's willing to share. Im assuming not for power reasons as well as making his grounds more unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrodriguez View Post
I do wonder what the drawbacks of this pseudo AV system (I think Vidar referred to it as AV System Type E) has?

I mean, it has to have a drawback compared to the original AV system, right? Either that or the original AV system has yet another feature yet to be shown - one that the Type E doesn't have.

In essence, it's like the Original GN drives versus the fake ones. The fake GN drives got rid of one big drawback that the original has (difficult to produce) but in turn, lacked some of the features of the original ones (Trans Am, at first, and the innovator-evolving,non-harmful particles).

In here, the Type E gets rid of the problem with the brain not being able to process to much information, but at what cost?
Its downside is requiring another humans brain, and as I noted above its a special case because of Eins brain
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-12, 19:23   Link #65
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's really Gaelio's interpretation. While it's not completely false, his blindness to Gjallarhorn's wrong makes it flawed.

Besides, one thing that Macky did understand is that power comes in many forms.
I think this too is important to note. Gaelio didn't really understand McGillis at all in season one, because even though he thought he saw the real person, he only saw the mask under the mask. He never saw what Iznario was doing to him, never knew what had happened and was still happening to his friend. We see that in the few jokes that he makes about him and Iznario and when he asks if Macky will go home after being away for so long. He know there was a lot of tension between the two, but he didn't know that Macky was basically Iznario's slave.

And even after becoming Vidar, Gaelio has still misjudged him. He was the one who suggested that McGillis was only after power during the MA incident, when that hadn't been the man's aim at all. It only became an idea after Iok woke the thing up and everything was in pieces anyway.

Gaelio does understand a part of McGillis, but I don't think even now, he completely understands him. I don't even know if Gaelio understands WHY McGillis is that way, and why the two really could never connect growing up. He just thinks he's power mad--because.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
In this very episode Gaelio said he and Carta would and were supporting McGillis in his reforms and even after he was "killed" he still went pretty far reinvestigate his motives before deciding Rustal Is lesser evil and promise him his obedience, so I think you are wronging him quite bit
I don't think Carta at least would have. Sure she was obsessed with McGillis, but she was obsessed with honor and glory more, and to tear everything down like that? Yeah, I think she would have folded quick, especially if it came to taking down her own family and throwing her family name in the mud. She was also part of the corruption of Gjallarhorn herself, and I think Gaelio is simply looking through the lens of friendship when he said that.

As for Gaelio himself, while I commend him for saying that he would have helped him. I have to say that the fact that he was a spoiled brat at the time that treated everything as a game, might not have gotten the point across. To McGillis it wouldn't have been a smart decision, and it would have required a lot of trust, trust that Macky may not have been able to give.
Because, while it's nice to say all that in hindsight, if Gaelio supposedly saw all this corruption, why didn't HE do anything about it? Him just letting things go on despite knowing how bad things were and/or waiting for McGillis to say something was arguably worse than being corrupt himself. He had much more power and authority that McGillis, and yet McGillis was planning and working behind the scenes even then, Gaelio was comfortable in staying to his playboy lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
Here's an interesting question to ponder: When did McGillis get AV implants? Did he get them himself, or did Iznario have him undergo the surgery when he was a child?

I feel like the latter makes more sense, because -- well, Iznario went and adopted an orphaned child prostitute, which is an odd thing to do (even accounting for the fact that Iznario is a paedophile), unless he wanted an adopted son to receive AV implants and thus become able to pilot Bael, ensuring that the Fareed family would reign supreme over Gjallarhorn, while also ensuring that the Fareed line wouldn't be muddied with cyborg-ery.
Iznario was a pig, if I'm getting the scenes right, it looks like he bought a bunch of different blond child sex slaves and basically made his own little blond shota harem that he he kept at a separate property. He gave all the boys luxuries they didn't have before, including food, a roof over their heads, and even schooling and recreational activities, while basically keeping them prisoners as his little sex pets.

McGillis proved to be the smartest and strongest of them, and he probably was Iznario's favorite stress relief, and Iznario needed an "heir" since his tastes didn't lead to a wife and children obviously. Macky was the answer to both of those. A child who was good enough to become Seven Stars material as he grew up, and yet also would bascially be a live in sex slave that no one had to question. It was all very convienent.

As to when he go AV? We don't know. I don't think it was recently, because would have seen him healing from the surgery.
And Gjallarhorn has been using and studying the technology for a long time, he was the one who had to explain it to Gaelio when they first met Mika. It's possible that Iznario had Macky do the procedure after he began to become "too old" for him. I mean, he wouldn't spoil the boy's body with such a thing until after it was useless to him.
However, it could have also been done between seasons. We'll have to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batknight View Post
Anyways when it comes to Mcgillis vs Gaelio argument I find it incredibly difficult to side with either and both seem to be in the wrong. Gaelio is loyal to Rustal who, if his side were to succeed in stopping Mcgillis's coup, would become the most powerful member in the organization. This would ensure the status quo which only values order/stability of Gjallarhorn meaning it will stay the corrupt, oppressive regime that it is, continuing to carry out war crimes as well as all atrocities we've witnessed. So while Gaelio has always shown his dislike and distaste for it, he's always been willing to put up with it and turn a blind eye for his own convenience. Be it in season one due to his family being so ingrained in the system as well as being a spoiled, prideful brat, and now because it's his only way to crush Mcgillis who betrayed their friendship, burned down his world and is trying to take everything from him once again.

Speaking of Mcgillis, while his intentions and ideals are certainly noble, the thing that is driving him makes him incredibly dangerous and just the wrong person to carry out this revolution to implement his reforms. Mcgillis only views things through the lens of violence, hate, anger, and how much power a person holds. This is all he ever knew growing up and the only thing he understands. He comes off as child whose been abused his entire life and is doing everything not to be taken advantage of again. The only solace he's ever had and the thing that stopped him from killing himself to escape his rape filled life was Agnika Kaieru and the classical ideals of Gjallarhorn which, like him, have been perverted and violated by old men and an old system which he wishes to cleanse so he can live up to his saviour and become him, which will give him the power and safety that he seeks. So while his reforms are needed, I think in the long run his obsessive, all-consuming need for power to give himself a sense of security would ruin any good he wants to do due to his twisted nature.
I actually think this is a very good interpertation on where things stand. There's really wrong on both sides and really no third option. And while I'm liking the mature Gaelio he's still surrounding himself with the wrong people. They said that they were trying to make Gaelio to be what would Garma have turned out like if he had survived Char's betrayal, which is interesting that I think Garma too would have changed, but he would have still stayed with the rest of his family, who were worse than he.
And so, while Gaelio has matured, he still stays loyal to that old regime, even knowing what it has done. He's still supporting Rustal surpressing a coup, which would also surpress any kind of change that might be made. His desire to kill McGillis is blinding him to the bigger picture.
Because after he kills Macky and takes down all of his allies, what happens then? Everything would just return right back to the way it was. And he would still be supposedly watching the corruption happen right in front of him, again from the sidelines. Doing nothing, and will let another Macky be created through Gjallarhorn's rotten nature.

McGillis too is letting power and the fact that he's almost connected to his goal, overwhelm him as well, and that is very dangerous. He has the right ideas, but is beginning become twisted himself.
Unless, perhaps that is his plan all along? To do a sort of Lelouch like plan?

I feel that if Macky was indeed to become the final big bad, this episode should have come about 3-4 episodes from now, it feels much too early for that considering how much time we have left.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-12, 19:35   Link #66
NBG

This episode felt like it had a little too much packed into it.

So many questions raised
NBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-12, 19:38   Link #67
Skye629

Nobody questioning why Bael's storage requires a giant ass underwater/ground vault filled with water? It cant just be to look cool and provide a convenient fight location right? Right?

And whats with the overall in show response to Vidar busting into the HQ? No alarms? Nobody but Mika noticed? No reactions other than a conveniently super delayed one from Mika?

Half joking nitpicking aside, this episode was awesome, especially loved the ending when the credits/ending song started rolling in the background. Those are the moments in anime I love to make me want to see more next week
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-12, 19:58   Link #68
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

You know, if people watch this episode without context, McG & Mika really looks like the big-boss villain with his henchman like Goldfinger & Oddjob in true James Bond fashion .

It’s good that Gali apologized to Mika for his past racism toward his kind before he did the tactical retreat. That really shows more of his growth as a person even though his code of honor (or things like that) still bound him to work with Rustal who saved his life.

Anyway, the problem with Gaelio & Carta’s racism (towards non-terrans, augmented humans, space rats, human debris, etc) and pretty much most of the old Gjallarhorn is that they only acknowledge that they are wrong after a crushing defeat (if they could survive the said defeat). And I don’t think McG is comfortable working his revolution with people like that. McG saw a big potential in Tekkadan and he had to strike Gjallarhorn now that Tekkadan is at their peak of power and still and assisting him. As much as Gaelio (& Carta?) agreed with McG’s view, can you imagine their reaction if McG were to ask him to backstab their own families? I don’t think it would’ve gone as smoothly as what we got in these recent episodes.

Btw, talking about Gaelio’s dad (Gallus Bauduin), it looks like he really knows nothing about Rustal’s plan and the fact that his son is still alive based on his reaction. If true, how’s that work exactly? Did Rustal just delivered a slab of human-sized meat to Gallus and claimed that was his son (with records and all) and cremated him? And did Rustal just nicely asking Gallus to lend his Kimaris Gundam (which in Gallus’ eyes should be a last memento of his dear son) to him for whatever reason and got Gallus’ permission to modify it to such extent? This is a really complicated stuff which leans more towards plot hole if they don’t explain it further. This is why this episode didn’t get a perfect score from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
Nobody questioning why Bael's storage requires a giant ass underwater/ground vault filled with water? It cant just be to look cool and provide a convenient fight location right? Right?

And whats with the overall in show response to Vidar busting into the HQ? No alarms? Nobody but Mika noticed? No reactions other than a conveniently super delayed one from Mika?
Well, if you look at Carta, I think the "rule of cool" is not that far off when it comes to Gjallarhorn .

One can argue that McG's faction need to disable some degrees of security when they did the coup. And it's not farfetched to think that Gaelio has been waiting nearby all this time to strike at the perfect time when McG is gonna have his undisturbed "private time" with Bael. And McG's men who heard the ruckus and knew the situation probably just sent Mika immediately since he is the fastest and the strongest of them all. But maybe I'm thinking too much of it .
Old 2017-02-12, 20:16   Link #69
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Well, I knew that Vidar is actually Gaelio Bauduin but having Ein Dalton's brain installed in his Gundam Kima- I mean Gundam Vidar? Damn, that's unexpected and it appears that Gaelio can put up a fight against Mikazuki and his Barbatos Lupus Rex, thanks to the psuedo Alaya-Vijannna system installed in the Vidar.

On the other hand, seems that McGills Fareed suffered a lot of abuse that he's inspired by Agnika Kaieru to become stronger so that he can overthrow the current government... using Gundam Bael of course!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-12, 20:49   Link #70
Batknight

Yeah, Gaelio says in this episode that he wants to bear the burden of all the things Mcgillis rejects. Things like trust, love, family, friendship, and honor. These are values Gaelio clings to and wants to uphold more than he wants dismantle the corruption that represents Gjallarhorn's regime. This is why he could never betray the organization and will tolerate men like Rustal who weirdly seems to respect these values as well despite being an awful war criminal, at least when it comes to the people closest to him anyways. But at the end of the day, Gaelio wants to protect the things he holds dearest, even if that thing is fundamentally rotten. But I don't where this is all headed, whether another big bad is introduced or if Mcgillis has some other plans...guess we'll see.
Old 2017-02-12, 22:02   Link #71
kgrodriguez
Three Stars and a Sun

It's interesting that as the episode progressed, BOTH McG and Gaelio progressed towards the gray area, at least for me. McGillis started from the white, Gaelio on the black, but as the episode ended, I felt they were more or less standing on the same grounds.

If Gaelio still values stuff like trust, love, and honor, AND still sincerely wants to rid Gjallahorn of corruption, then that, coupled with the speculation that Bael might fully corrupt McGillis, leads me to think that it would be Gaelio whom would actually lead a new Gjallahorn.
kgrodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-12, 22:27   Link #72
Ryuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I think Almiria will die too, and I'm wondering how that will change McGillis since I believe he genuinely cares a lot about her?
At the very least, it'd make McGillis realise the irony of him getting an innocent swallowed up in the chaos of him trying to make a better world for those like her and other vulnerables.
Ryuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-13, 00:19   Link #73
~BC~

Well, the show sure took it's sweet time getting this off the ground. A good episode but I can't appreciate this development with Gaelio as much as I'd like to because they've squandered so much of the time they had to flesh out this new outlook of his. He has matured yes but the fact that he's completely thrown in his lot with Rustal (and was willing to let McG get into his damn gundam) tells me there's still quite a bit of naivete in there. Looking forward to future interactions with Tekkadan though.

No surprises with McGillis' backstory and it's actually pretty disappointing how threadbare it is. It's literally just a rehash of what we currently know of Orga/Mika/Atra's background. Just with some child sexual exploitation thrown in for some deviation. But if they're going where I think they are with this Agnika thing then I guess a more fleshed out motivation would be moot if it all just comes down to "the ghost in the machine made him do it".

Poor Almiria though. I'm also of the opinion that she's deliberately harming herself in that preview.

Also, way to be subtle with that candy wrapper show.
~BC~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-13, 00:39   Link #74
Batknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BC~ View Post
Well, the show sure took it's sweet time getting this off the ground. A good episode but I can't appreciate this development with Gaelio as much as I'd like to because they've squandered so much of the time they had to flesh out this new outlook of his. He has matured yes but the fact that he's completely thrown in his lot with Rustal (and was willing to let McG get into his damn gundam) tells me there's still quite a bit of naivete in there. Looking forward to future interactions with Tekkadan though.

No surprises with McGillis' backstory and it's actually pretty disappointing how threadbare it is. It's literally just a rehash of what we currently know of Orga/Mika/Atra's background. Just with some child sexual exploitation thrown in for some deviation. But if they're going where I think they are with this Agnika thing then I guess a more fleshed out motivation would be moot if it all just comes down to "the ghost in the machine made him do it".

Poor Almiria though. I'm also of the opinion that she's deliberately harming herself in that preview.

Also, way to be subtle with that candy wrapper show.
Galieo submitting his complete loyalty to Rustal I don't think has anything to naivete. He's very clearly is aware of what Rustal is, but defeating Mcgillis is both their goals. Rustal wants to maintain the status quo and the current order that Gjallarhorn represents, Gaelio wants to save his sister and father, as well as take vengeance on McG for betraying their friendship and killing Carta. While I do wish the show had utilized him more earlier on, they've actually done a great job fleshing him out and developing him as a character. McG's backstory is actually great for the reasons you think it's disappointing. His backstory is supposed to resemble the rest of Tekkadan. He's an Iron-Blooded Orphan just as they are. He's a black mirror to them, anyone of them could've ended up exactly like him under different circumstances had they not found Tekkadan and made a family who all trust and support each other to make their lives better. The closest thing to a family Mcgillis had was an adopted father who raped him every night which he couldn't tell anyone about thus he was never able to connect with anyone and was left with only hatred. But both are desperately trying to reach a childhood dream to give themselves and sense of security in a world where they've had those things.
Old 2017-02-13, 00:57   Link #75
DMurphy

Quote:

I'm not convinced McG's backstory is actually a rehash of Orga/Mika/Atra's background. It has a lot of the same themes, definitely, because themes of child exploitation run throughout the show, but it veers off in an entirely different direction.

Orga, Mika, and Atra all have stories about being born into poverty and being exploited by adults who commodify them -- their humanity is directly compromised by their commodification (well, for Orga and Mika it is, at least, Atra isn't commodified), but they persevere nonetheless through solidarity with other exploited children.

McG is also born into poverty, but his exploitation is entirely different: He's publicly granted prestige as the son of a noble, while also being viciously abused in private. McG isn't commodified, he's just abused, and he's deprived of a support structure because he's surrounded by adults who ignore what's going on (yo, Rustal, who we know for a fact knew at least a little of what was happening), and other children who he can't find true solidarity with, because they don't have the same struggles as him.

Their backstories parallel each other and touch on a lot of the same themes, but they aren't really the same.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-13, 01:14   Link #76
~BC~

@Batnight and DMurphy

The parallels with McGillis and Tekkadan were obvious for a while but I guess I don't find the execution of the themes to be quite as eloquently portrayed as you two describe them. I get the intent but the feeling just isn't there.

As for Gaelio, it's more his certainty that he can stand toe to toe with Rustal once the smoke clears that has me concerned. And it should be a forgone conclusion that his family is also his primary motivation at this point but as was pointed out we've seen nothing of his thoughts about them since his return.
Old 2017-02-13, 01:21   Link #77
tdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
yeah, I agree with you that Kudelia being just an element in his plan, but the point was, McGillis plan is moving after the incidents in Dorts. And Kudelia fulfilled her positions perfectly as she became the key to reveal the corruption inside Gjallarhorn so for McGillis plan to move, an ignition that was Kudelia is needed. Now the problem was, if all McGillis wanted was power, there are easier way for him, remember, at the time, McGillis could easily get the support from Carta and Gali, and yet he removed them. SO there might be more to McGillis goal than just power than what Gali claimed.
What McGillis seems to want is not just power, but the power to get revenge on GH first and foremost. I can't exactly fault him for it, not after knowing his past, and it makes sense that the rot starts at the top and GH being corrupt and failing its primary duties is one of the main reasons why socially unprotected children were forced to live the life McGillis had to. But at the same time I can now see why McGillis refused to let Gaelio stand by his side despite Gaelio's willingness - because McGillis' true inner motivations aren't as noble as he makes them seem.

By his own admission he's been living in anger his entire life, and that whole monologue from season 1, about how a bright future gets wasted because of the chains of the past was about himself, implying that he's trapped by his past as well.

Kudelia was needed. The past tense. But nothing so far indicates that McGillis still has uses for her. Unil now, I think we tended to overestimate his cunningness and farsight a little: many of us thought that he didn't finish off Gaelio on purpose and couldn't have not known about him being alive, yet that wasn't the case; he should've seen Gaelio coming to Bael's vault, yet he didn't; things like that. So I'll try to learn from these mistakes in this case by assuming that McGillis currently has no plans for Kudelia and he hasn't predicted that she will get involved because of Tekkadan (and she didn't seem to exactly plan to until Merribit mentioned her precious person in Tekkadan which got Kudelia thinking about her precious person and her Tekkadan family)

What I wonder about GaliGali is how much he knows about the true depth of GH's corruption. Did he have an idea what Izanario was? What McGillis had to go through? That scum kept tons of boys like McGillis for years, he even had a mansion just for that and held something like competition among them. That's not the scale you can easily keep under wraps. We know that Rustal knew to an extent about the abuse but he didn't do anything about it, because "not his business", probably? With Papa Bauduin, I think he just chose to close his eyes to inconvenient things like that even if he saw them, but with the motivation "no, no, it can't be, he wouldn't do anything like that, it's just my imagination". So what I want to know is where Gaelio stands on this. Is he like his father? Or has he truly matured enough to confront even the ugliest truth and do something about it?
tdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-13, 01:42   Link #78
~BC~

Quote:
That scum kept tons of boys like McGillis for years, he even had a mansion just for that and held something like competition among them.
I thought that was meant to be a boarding school that he sponsored. It basically cuts down on the controversy of adopting a bunch of random boys while providing a steady source of victims.
Old 2017-02-13, 01:52   Link #79
Irenesharda

Quote:
I thought that was meant to be a boarding school that he sponsored. It basically cuts down on the controversy of adopting a bunch of random boys while providing a steady source of victims.
Im pretty sure that was his own property. They tell Macky that he will be moved to the "main" property, indicating that stayed at one of the.side ones. Also the fact that all the boys are blond and around the same age tells me Iznario personally picked and placed them there. His own little sex slave harem hidden in the countryside somewhere.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-13, 02:15   Link #80
~BC~

The scenes with the group of boys is in a school setting in a grey brick building. We see a completely different complex when he is sent to the main house. Though I'm sure with Iznario's wealth both were indeed his properties.