Talking Super Sentai General Discussion Thread

third preview subbed by TV-Nihon

preview courtesy of lucnylive

final preview, unsubbed

thanks to daming7562

Info from Wikipedia:
Spoiler for spoilered for sheer amount of info:

Notes:
*Alata is rather effeminate looking. Even now, I don't think he looks like a leader, and I cannot tell whether he will be a "serious red" or a "loudmouthed red."
*Hyde is tall for a Japanese guy! He towers over the other rangers.
*...but not as much as Dereputa of the Meteor. The guy's 1.5x as tall as Gosei Red! I feel sorry for whoever the suit actor is. Maybe they stuck the guy who does extra large mechs in there.
*Hyde is the only member of the Seaic Tribe, so maybe the inevitable sixth ranger will also be Seaic?
*The "Gosei Headers" are interchangeable. There are also 8? more hardpoints on Gosei Great's shoulders, wings, and knees, so presumably by mid-season the mech will be a 14-headed monstrosity. Of course, I expect a second robot to show up.
*It's nice that Gosei Great's sword is actually on fire. The fake CG fire and explosions that appear in tokusatsu too much nowadays is nothing compared the bright flames, smoke, and debris that accompany real fire and explosions.
*Unfortunately, since this is sentai, and an apparently retro one nonetheless, I expect the two girls to get marginalized as usual.
*These guys use cards to access powers and equipment. Maybe Decade will show up in this world?

Of course, Goseiger doesn't start until next Sunday. This week, it's Samurai Sentai Shinkenger's finale!
WARNING SPOILERS FOR SHINKENGER FINALE!!!

Spoiler for Shinkenger final episode:

Last edited by justsomeguy; 2010-02-07 at 14:09.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 19:44   Link #2
justavisitor

I support all Tokusatsu series so I will support this thread by being (could be) the first one to reply!!

The one who wears red is too....childish?? I don't think he is old enough to get a driver license, let alone piloting those giant robots...(I know, lame joke) but I hope he is a "serious and mature red"

Well, I haven't watched any super sentai...can anyone recommend me a great super sentai series?? (The last one I watched was the very first power ranger...you know, the one with dinosaurs...) I will be watching this one, but I would like to watch one of the "classics" between 2000~2010
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 21:28   Link #3
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
I support all Tokusatsu series so I will support this thread by being (could be) the first one to reply!!

The one who wears red is too....childish?? I don't think he is old enough to get a driver license, let alone piloting those giant robots...(I know, lame joke) but I hope he is a "serious and mature red"

Well, I haven't watched any super sentai...can anyone recommend me a great super sentai series?? (The last one I watched was the very first power ranger...you know, the one with dinosaurs...) I will be watching this one, but I would like to watch one of the "classics" between 2000~2010
Timeranger (2000) is pretty highly rated, but the best subs available are only cleanups of HKs with below average video quality.
Boukenger (2006) and Magiranger (2005) are also pretty good, though Boukenger has a very loose plot, and Magiranger is often childish despite a serious plot.
Many people like Gekiranger (2007), but I don't.
Jetman (1991) was subbed by by cscentral and is very good. Despite dated visuals, I actually like it more than many new ones!
Old 2010-02-07, 21:55   Link #4
justavisitor

thanks for the great recommendation!! I probably will slowly watch them one by one (so I have some interesting series to watch in my hmm..next 3 years )

Just watched Boukenger's first two episodes, pretty good, and just saw some clips of Jetman and wow!! that is awesome indeed!!!...so i will probably watch those two series first

Once again, thanks for the suggestion!!
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2010-02-14, 14:20   Link #5
justsomeguy

Just saw the first episode of Goseiger. Thoughts:

1) This is the most frenetic episode of sentai I've ever seen. The story starts with the villains blowing up Heaven's Tower (yes, the first characters we meet are the villains!), and immediately getting attacked by the Goseiger, who already have their powers. We'll probably see the beginning in a flashback in some future episode.

2) The opening song is as awesome as it was when it was unofficially released last week, but the visuals resemble a kids' toy commercial!

3) Alata is not a loudmouthed red. He's surprisingly confident and slightly hotblooded, though not quite competent. He spends the majority of the episode without his henshin card after dropping it!

4) The first enemy monster is a Katamari fan, who attacks with giant balls of rolled-up debris!

5) The Gosei angels were actually happy people! From the release information I had expected emo "we wanna go home" types, but they're nothing like that.

6) There's a lot of focus on the Goseigers pulling out and loading their cards. It's a lot more annoying when five people do it at once than when a single Kamen Rider does it.

7) The Gosei Headers: When they launch, they seem big and awesome, but then immediately cut to the Goseigers pulling them out of the air with their fingers!

All in all, this was an introductory episode on steroids, but it wasn't as annoying as Go-Onger was. Pretty good so far, once they stop treating the card loading scenes as a big deal it'll be more enjoyable.
Old 2010-02-17, 01:58   Link #6
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

saw bits of it seem decent & yea i have no idea IF this would be PR 2011 or whatever really can anyone imagine IF this was next PR series?
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 11:29   Link #7
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-KLAC View Post
saw bits of it seem decent & yea i have no idea IF this would be PR 2011 or whatever really can anyone imagine IF this was next PR series?
Unfortunately (?) Disney decided not to produce anymore PR after PR:RPM, so I doubt it.

As for Goseiger ep 2:
1) a UFO alien abducts people!
2) The Gosei Machines finally show up, fighting the min-UFOs individually before combining into Gosei Great. (note that Gosei Phoenix can actually fit inside a highway tunnel through a mountain)
3) The Headers can separate from Gosei Great and perform remote-controlled punches and kicks.
4) Gosei Great's finisher, "Victory Charge," involves flying (yes, the robot can fly) through projected cards and slashing with a flaming sword. A bit KR-esk here.
5) The Goseigers erase the abductees' memories.
Old 2010-02-22, 11:31   Link #8
Gin
*Artist

So is like some sort of Power Ranger show?
Old 2010-02-22, 12:22   Link #9
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by gin View Post
so is like some sort of power ranger show?
*facepalm*
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 12:40   Link #10
Gin
*Artist

Ok, sorry for asking a question, you don´t have to be rude.
Old 2010-02-22, 14:35   Link #11
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I think that the point missed is that the Power Rangers came from Super Sentai; i.e.: the major fights and robot scenes were lifted directly from various Super Sentai shows and redubbed to form Power Ranger episodes.

A must read link: http://www.supersentai.com/
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 20:54   Link #12
justavisitor

just finished Boukenger, and it's awesome!!! Thanks for the recommendation!! Too bad the forum doesn't allow me to add you more rep

Now onto Goseiger...the episode 1 is so-so...especially after I finish Boukenger, the captain red in Goseiger doesn't look right...he looks too young and he is way tooo short !! Those five characters look a bit weird...the red is too young and short..the pink has big ears..and those Gosei Headers are so funny XD

I will probably watch episode 2, but man, I am used to seeing the captain red in Boukenger...

Now Power ranger is come from Sentai and Sentai I believe has been going non-stopped for the last 34 years (each year has a new Sentai show)...I haven't seen the recent power rangers series, but I know Sentai has been constantly adding new elements into it, to make the series more up-to-date. So I really don't know how to answer your answer Gin XD...the best solution is try watching one or two episode of this newest Sentai Series (or Boukenger!! I really like that one) and find out by yourself

Hope it helps XD
Old 2010-02-22, 21:19   Link #13
BanishingBook

Crap i'm late here! Sorry fellas!

Shinkenger is perhaps the worst sentai I've ever heard.

And sadly I can't watch Goseiger regularly too many anime and there's work...

and oh justa try watching Fiveman too
BanishingBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 21:22   Link #14
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

a bit off topic: but i thought sentai base jav are some of the funniest stuff the japanese ever produce.
Old 2010-02-22, 23:31   Link #15
justavisitor

@BanishingBook
Thanks for the suggestion!!! I will definitely try it in the future

@Xellos-_^
if you are talking what I think you are talking...can you..can you..tell me...where did you get those??
Old 2010-02-22, 23:40   Link #16
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
@BanishingBook
Thanks for the suggestion!!! I will definitely try it in the future

@Xellos-_^
if you are talking what I think you are talking...can you..can you..tell me...where did you get those??
try anonymous
Old 2010-02-22, 23:59   Link #17
justavisitor

it's just a joke...but seriously I never know those stuffs exist...oh well I am actually not too surprised
Old 2010-02-23, 00:19   Link #18
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

try it, it is really funny and even cornier then the pg ver.
Old 2010-02-23, 11:18   Link #19
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanishingBook View Post
Shinkenger is perhaps the worst sentai I've ever heard.
If it's only rumors you've heard, I can assure you that they are wrong. The worst recent one is arguably Go-onger, and the worst from the 1990s is supposedly Ohranger, which was intended to be "grimdark," but the producers suddenly had to change direction when the Tokyo subway sarin gas attacks happened. The end result included one absolutely atrocious scene where Ohpink, Ohyellow, and the mecha performed aerobics.
Old 2010-02-23, 11:51   Link #20
BanishingBook

^ - Nah no rumors for me I watched some clips and read wikipedia. So In my opinion Shinkenger's Kagemusha plot didn't get to me. I think the series was very poorly handled. We did get to see a first in history female Red Senshi... and then samurai... but then again I didn't like the idea of the whole samurai culture being sentai. Samurais are really disciplined and very strict and yeah we could go to the history books about feudal Japan.

I was thinking that the point of the show is to introduce samurai culture to the kids, which it seems to be barely visible in today's Japan. It didn't work. If I could go back in time to redo Shinkenger I'd put some more "GENKI" into it. And well it may seem opposite to the whole disciplined samurai thing, but it's what gets the kids to enjoy sentai. There can be some adjustments too, so as a whole, a sentai show with samurais and a "GENKI" theme is a unique take.

And I'm happy Goseiger is enjoyable (from the looks of episode 1).

(Can you tell me more about how Ohranger's became crappy? Sarin attacks, gasp~ I thought I'd never hear it again... AUM SHINRIKYO... >.< Onore!)
BanishingBook is offline   Reply With Quote