AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-16, 15:42   Link #1
Sokar

The Bride of the Water God

Bride of the Water God is a Korean manhwa by Yun Mi-kyung. One of the most visually amazing works I have ever seen. The the extremely smooth and detailed artwork literally blew me away when I saw it. Plot begins as a rather typical Asian ghost story with sacrifice to the water god but becomes something much more mysterious and intriguing. Please take a look at this work, it's just amazing.
Old 2008-08-19, 14:43   Link #2
Sokar

Bump. There's got one of you out there that reads this manhwa.
Old 2008-08-19, 15:42   Link #3
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Problem is DH lost their translator for the series, so it's going to be mid next year before vol3 comes out

To Mods: Where did i mention any groups subing it?? It's common knowledge that DH lost their manwha translators which is why they havent released volume 3 of this, or several other manwha. They're working on it now with a new translator. Check out the official notice on it here

Quote:
Got a few books' on-sale months finalized right before the San Diego Con (Hello to anyone I met there! It was crazytown busy, distractions galore!!) -- and I don't have EXACT on-sale dates, so I'll have to call these "tentative release months" -- but here's what's on the horizon for me (in addition to BLADE OF THE IMMORTAL, BLOOD+, EDEN, and MPD-PSYCHO):

BRIDE OF THE WATER GOD manhwa
Vol. 3 on sale May 2009
Vol. 4 on sale September 2009

SHAMAN WARRIOR manhwa
Vol. 7 on sale June 2009
Vol. 8 on sale October 2009
Vol. 9 (FINAL VOLUME) on sale February 2010

TRANSLUCENT manga
Vol. 4 on sale July 2009
Vol. 5 (FINAL VOLUME) on sale November 2009

"Why the wait with some of these?" you may ask. Well, I had to find new translators after three great teammates had to bow out of their projects. Tried out several possibilities, found two amazing new translators, and now we're on our way to finishing these series off!
--Philip, DH editor

Last edited by Tiamat's Disciple; 2008-08-19 at 18:02. Reason: didn't mention any scanlation groups
Old 2008-08-19, 15:42   Link #4
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Lol... I suppose not!

I took a look at this. I'll also need to warn that my opinion won't have much weight considering I couldn't figure out at first if I should read right-to-left or left-to-right.

Anyway, I agree that the art is beautiful and clean. No ugly faces in sight. Everyone either screams bishounen or bishoujou. In regards to the content, I found the visual more appealing than the story.
Old 2008-08-19, 19:10   Link #5
Sokar

There are other people translating the series besides Dark Horse, we all know where to get it....
Old 2008-08-19, 20:42   Link #6
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

The scanlations i've seen range from crap to pathetic, i'd rather wait on the DH version for some quality.
Old 2008-08-20, 02:10   Link #7
Sokar

Dark Horse translation is a little better, but I don't think there's that much difference in the scanlations to call the fan ones crap.
Old 2009-07-16, 03:38   Link #8
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokar View Post
Dark Horse translation is a little better, but I don't think there's that much difference in the scanlations to call the fan ones crap.
I think he was talking about the quality of the scans not the translations. The scans are really terrible. Why would someone do such a beautiful book in such low resolution and compress it to hell?

All the more reason to go out and buy the book. Support the people who bring you the manga you enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Lol... I suppose not!

I took a look at this. I'll also need to warn that my opinion won't have much weight considering I couldn't figure out at first if I should read right-to-left or left-to-right.

Anyway, I agree that the art is beautiful and clean. No ugly faces in sight. Everyone either screams bishounen or bishoujou. In regards to the content, I found the visual more appealing than the story.
I had the same issue. The first few chapter doesn't matter which was you read them. In the end the conversations make sense both ways.

This really is a great book. I love the illustrations. Soah looks like Yuko from xxxHolic so I gotta give the book points for that.

Last edited by fish eric; 2009-07-16 at 05:12.
Old 2009-08-06, 21:16   Link #9
Pineapple_Split

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
In regards to the content, I found the visual more appealing than the story.
Really? I find the story to be absolutely engaging. Even though Soah's character seems to be a little flat (which is a shame, really), the plot itself has enough twists and intrigues to keep me hooked. But too each his own, I guess.
Old 2009-08-06, 23:57   Link #10
Who

Oh, I'll definitely check this out. I remember my parents telling me stories similar to this when I was little. It's based off one of Korea's oldest myths/folklore, if I recall correctly.
Old 2009-08-08, 02:02   Link #11
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Oh, I'll definitely check this out. I remember my parents telling me stories similar to this when I was little. It's based off one of Korea's oldest myths/folklore, if I recall correctly.
That is what the wikipedia entry says.

I know this is licensed by dark horse. Does that mean you can go and buy an english version from a book store? I would really like to finish reading this. That and some of the scans just don't do the beautiful artwork justice.

I took some of the scenes and made book marks out of them.
Old 2009-08-08, 09:00   Link #12
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Yes it's in stores. though they may have to order it for you.
Old 2009-08-09, 01:45   Link #13
Pineapple_Split

As far as I know, volumes 1-3 are available, but you might want to double-check.
Closed Thread