Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2015-11-10, 15:07   Link #1
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Great Revolution Dai Shogun: Reboot Film

Trailer:

Twitter link

Personally, I'm still surprised how an highly disappointing, legit trashy abomination of a mecha anime released in recent years still get attention even though I did complete it out of duty due to my highly confident pre-air expectations, this time coming with a movie!

Okay, the CG animation doesn't look too bad by far, it reminds me of high-quality action console games and it was confirmed to be made by ILCA and Studio Gooneys (responsible for Show by Rock's 3DCG) while Kazuya Sasahara will probably plays a bigger role than he had in the TV series.

While the PV in question did manage to hook us with lots of fights and fluid movements, what actually concerns me is if the writers were actually capable of actively rewriting the whole story into a movie, I'll guaranteed it'll end up a lot better than the actual series by a wide margin even if it'll still not turn out great.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-10, 15:45   Link #2
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Wrong subforum, dude
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-10, 23:48   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I’m surprised that this title is even revisited by anyone considering how horrible the TV series is. I only finished that series coz I like the mecha designs and a couple of the characters. Conceptually-speaking, the premise has a lot of potential to be a fun anime like Sengoku Basara, or Oda Nobuna no Yabou with it being set in historical-Japan (but with mechas) and all. But the bad execution, non-animation, and horribly boringly-idiotic MC brought the series way down. I hope this “reboot movie” will redeem this title. At least the trailer looks cool so far.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2015-11-11 at 00:02.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-11, 02:21   Link #4
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

WADAFUQ? I'm a big mecha fan and a big JC Staff fan, but I hated Dai Shogun. It totally bombed in sales AFAIK, and of all things this gets a film reboot? Colour me confused...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-11, 03:38   Link #5
TJR

It's ILCA's initiative. Apparently, Kazuya Sasahara had already been creating a mixed media franchise some time ago (Enka Oudou Dai-Shogun; cancelled when Sasahara left his previous company, which appears to be run by his younger brother?) with grand plans for anime, manga, figures, CDs, light novels, etc. In short, they were aiming for a potential money-making machine.

Last year's launch was a reincarnation of this project, so ILCA may not want to give up on it yet, despite what seems to be a lack of industry interest.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-11, 06:58   Link #6
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Wrong subforum, dude
Oh damn, should've posted it in a Movie/OVA board but didn't thought it had an option to create a new thread while making this one so I wouldn't mind if it get moved there.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-11, 07:06   Link #7
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
It's ILCA's initiative. Apparently, Kazuya Sasahara had already been creating a mixed media franchise some time ago (Enka Oudou Dai-Shogun; cancelled when Sasahara left his previous company, which appears to be run by his younger brother?) with grand plans for anime, manga, figures, CDs, light novels, etc. In short, they were aiming for a potential money-making machine.

Last year's launch was a reincarnation of this project, so ILCA may not want to give up on it yet, despite what seems to be a lack of industry interest.
Oh, I didn’t know it was such an ambitious project. I thought it was just a small 1-cour anime project. That’s why I was surprised that the final episode ended on a clifhanger with no notable casualties from both sides. I had to double check whether the anime was an LN-adaptation or not, turned out it was just a (horrible) anime original.

If Dai Shogun really is such a passion-project, they should've done a lot better than the trash we got last year.
Old 2015-11-11, 09:20   Link #8
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

JC Staff is hit or miss.

Guess how it went for the project.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-11, 12:08   Link #9
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
Oh damn, should've posted it in a Movie/OVA board but didn't thought it had an option to create a new thread while making this one so I wouldn't mind if it get moved there.
Thread moved for you.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-11, 14:20   Link #10
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Oh, I didn’t know it was such an ambitious project. I thought it was just a small 1-cour anime project. That’s why I was surprised that the final episode ended on a clifhanger with no notable casualties from both sides. I had to double check whether the anime was an LN-adaptation or not, turned out it was just a (horrible) anime original.

If Dai Shogun really is such a passion-project, they should've done a lot better than the trash we got last year.
It's a matter of investment. ILCA might be interested in Dai-Shogun, but that doesn't mean they can convince others of its potential (in this case, Kadokawa scraped together a minimal budget for 12 episodes, which was probably the best ILCA could get. With this push, they were also able to license the property for pachinko).

Mixed media concepts are a dime a dozen; think of all the submissions light novel publishers must get. In this case, the pitch is from a company with its own capital and a track record for game CG animation, but that doesn't necessarily make Dai-Shogun more promising than someone else's idea.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3dcg movie, action, comedy