AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online II - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 4 11.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 6 17.65%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 38.24%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 20.59%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 8.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-11-01, 20:10   Link #21
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post

The whole deal with Thor being disguised was funny, though I would have expected that from the trickster Loki more than anything.
To be fair, that's pretty much lifted from mythology (where it was Loki's idea for Thor to dress as Freyja).

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 20:18   Link #22
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Well, at least Loki played a hand, then.
Old 2014-11-01, 23:04   Link #23
Esclair

The throwing the sword part was weird, especially since for some reason Sinon can easily pull it up.

Also, why is Kirito sitting next to Sinon in the cafe instead of Asuna?
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 23:08   Link #24
eiyuuou

I'm surprised Liz didn't try to leech the hammer off Klein
Old 2014-11-01, 23:15   Link #25
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The throwing the sword was likely explained in the novels, but just mentioning it could get our asses banned.

Also, chances are there's a difference between Hammers and Maces in the game, and Lizbeth uses Maces.
Old 2014-11-01, 23:46   Link #26
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
You know, after seeing this episode, I feel that the Caliber arc is so enjoyable to watch during those last moments!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 00:34   Link #27
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Because I was playing PAD for the past 199 consecutive days (and counting), I kinda jumped in glee and started laughing when that freyja transformation scene showed up, I knew where that came from considering that in PAD one of Thor's ultimate evolution showed exactly the same scene.

Even before that though, when Freyja mentioned a golden hammer and suguha told kirito to use a lightning skill, I knew immediately what was going to happen. I don't know how Suguha knew that they needed to use lightning to find it though.

I also didn't get the "cardinals are such a pain" line. Was kirito talking about the cardinal system? I think i remember the NPC system being called that.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 00:53   Link #28
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

So can someone explain to me what's happening here?

Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 01:00   Link #29
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
Even before that though, when Freyja mentioned a golden hammer and suguha told kirito to use a lightning skill, I knew immediately what was going to happen. I don't know how Suguha knew that they needed to use lightning to find it though.
Leafa mentioned in a previous episode that she remembered reading something along these lines. My guess she she remembered exactly what and realized what needed to be done.

Quote:
I also didn't get the "cardinals are such a pain" line. Was kirito talking about the cardinal system? I think i remember the NPC system being called that.
Yes, he was referring to the Cardinal System. He was commenting on how the Cardinal's quest had it set for him to lose a sword he didn't want to give up.
Old 2014-11-02, 01:15   Link #30
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Leafa mentioned in a previous episode that she remembered reading something along these lines. My guess she she remembered exactly what and realized what needed to be done.
Well, that's really convenient. They would've all been killed if they didn't find that hammer quickly.

it was also very convenient that there was one jellephant left (based on the quest pendant), and that it was Tonkii. Couldn't all the other jellephants fly to escape the raids below?

Another thing that bugged me was when they hesitated to go down the steps towards the sword, and how slow kirito was when they found that passage behind the throne. I thought they were pressed for time? how come they weren't running/rushing to end the quest? They've just finished the boss, of course the reward will come next.

Quote:
Yes, he was referring to the Cardinal System. He was commenting on how the Cardinal's quest had it set for him to lose a sword he didn't want to give up.
While it's possible that the sword would have still been awarded even if kirito was not holding it, it was very very convenient that they had sinon's OP sniping skills and that saved the quest reward. who knows, maybe the quest will not end if kirito was not holding excalibur? what will they do then?

SAO has always been like this, so I'm used to it, but still, while it was a great ending and all that, there was still some parts of it that's lacking.
Old 2014-11-02, 01:51   Link #31
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
So can someone explain to me what's happening here?

It's something unique to Japanese style archery. Not entirely sure what the benefit of it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Resulting from the technique to release the shot, the bow will (for a practiced archer) spin in the hand so that the string stops in front of the archer's outer forearm. This action of "yugaeri" is a combination of technique and the natural working of the bow. It is unique to kyudo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ky%C5%ABd%C5%8D

So yeah, it probably looks less weird to a Japanese audience than it does to us.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 02:17   Link #32
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

If you remember, the Guardian Knights' bows did the same thing in the Fairy Dance arc.
Old 2014-11-02, 03:18   Link #33
AMon10A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
It's something unique to Japanese style archery. Not entirely sure what the benefit of it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ky%C5%ABd%C5%8D

So yeah, it probably looks less weird to a Japanese audience than it does to us.
I think done to protect inside of the bow arm since Japanese archers generally don't wear bracers.
AMon10A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 04:28   Link #34
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

I see. The animation looks weird since she rotates it after the shot.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 06:00   Link #35
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
lol, lots of funny stuff this episode.

Freya turning out to actually be a trap. I made a joke about that last episode, but didn't expect her to actually be one.

Leafa hugging Kirito and all he can think about is trying to equip the Excalibur Sword.
Well, she's his sister.

Quote:
Sinion hookshoting the Sword and Kirito's face. And Sinion NTRing Kirito from Asuna by giving him the sword.
That explains this:

Quote:
Well, that's really convenient. They would've all been killed if they didn't find that hammer quickly.

it was also very convenient that there was one jellephant left (based on the quest pendant), and that it was Tonkii. Couldn't all the other jellephants fly to escape the raids below?
Tonki can only do that because it defeated a giant and leveled up.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 07:29   Link #36
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Tonki can only do that because it defeated a giant and leveled up.
Assuming this is true, then there's no point in rushing when one of the quest monsters can fly high enough so that the players below can't reach and kill it.
Old 2014-11-02, 07:54   Link #37
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

well.... the battle is disappointing... what a let down for this arc.. after what they showed in previous episode
I truly hope Thor won't appear so that Kirito have time for more badassness and might show some difficult "switch" with "Flash" Asuna but it is based on brute force in the end

When Kirito throw Excalibur, I truly think that Kirito didn't want the sword because it is too heavy for him
anyway, good move from Sinon... she even attract jealousy from Asuna
so he is taking Excalibur because that is the sword he used to save Asuna in world tree, eh? that is a lovely thinking

lastly, Kirito is a genius for designing some devices like that for Yui
I'm having a high expectation about Mother Rosario since people are saying that is one of the best arc in SAO
I'm going to miss the opening and ending though.. I hope SAO good time would come back since ALO is getting boring
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 08:05   Link #38
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Assuming this is true, then there's no point in rushing when one of the quest monsters can fly high enough so that the players below can't reach and kill it.
Maybe he can't fly forever. And when he's exhausted...

Or maybe he's not included in the countdown. Really, don't think about it too hard. It's a timed quest, that's all.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 09:49   Link #39
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
When Kirito throw Excalibur, I truly think that Kirito didn't want the sword because it is too heavy for him
anyway, good move from Sinon... she even attract jealousy from Asuna
so he is taking Excalibur because that is the sword he used to save Asuna in world tree, eh? that is a lovely thinking
It's not that the sword is heavy, it's because Kirito doesn't want to remember those bad memories from the Fairy Dance arc. Hence, I believed that he wants to throw away Excalibur... at first!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 12:14   Link #40
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
The part where Kirito throws away the Excalibur was really strange.

He could have just gotten Tonkii to grab him while hugging/carrying it the same way Klein was grabbed, or simply throwing it onto Tonkii and having the other members catch it for him. It just seemed like a pointless scene beyond giving Sinon something to do.

The whole deal with Thor being disguised was funny, though I would have expected that from the trickster Loki more than anything.
You can see Kirito shaking and he has a flashback to the end of the ALO arc. I think that signifies that Kirito still doesn't feel ready to pick up the sword and "protect" everyone (I was going to say Asuna but the show just keeps downplaying their relationship so much that I can barely acknowledge that it exists anymore).