AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-08-17, 19:35   Link #1
horsdhaleine
i miss japan!

good start/bad ending and bad start/good ending

which animes are:

a] very promising at the start but turns out to be a dud

b] bad start, but in the end the whole was wrapped up nicely

for me:
a]
ichigo 100% --very nice ep 1... then went downhill at ep 3 or 4
ayashi no ceres -- i love the start... but what?!?
Spoiler:

Tenjou Tenge
-- good material but what's with the Aya story? I only got more confused...
Fushigi Yuugi -- really addictive at the start. I love the characters! the setting! the plot! but if the end is just about love and those stuff *sigh* the whole historical thing just became a backdrop to Miaka's silly story. Wasted character developments...

as for
b]

can't think of any at the moment...
horsdhaleine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 19:53   Link #2
Anime Online

Good start/bad ending : Chrno Crusade.

The ending ruined the entire anime for me, though the only redeeming part was Azmaria's resolve.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 20:11   Link #3
Shounen
Away for good

Let's say Shuffle...

Nice start....
BAD ending.. atleast from episode 13+. When thing's started to get dramatic.
Last episode was "nice" but not what i had expected
I Say: Kaede and Rin, not Shigure Asa...

Next Anime...

Love Hina (with Again)

I loved this one. But hey, what about the marriage and that after?
The manga said alot more than the anime...
So good start and a very cut off ending (bad)

next..

Star Ocean EX

Harem ending or what?
I wanna know that after the gate had been opened...

TOKKO

good start... WTF happened to the ending part?

"Kidou senshi" gundam seed destiny

Shinn should have died in that explosion (in the begining)
or in the end...die you M***** ****er!
Shounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 20:45   Link #4
domino
デレデレ

The best example of good start / bad ending I can think of is the recent Jyu-Oh-Sei. The beginning is awesome, but the end is a long string of "wtf?"
Fullmetal Alchemist had a crappy ending too...

It's harder to think of bad start/good ending shows, though. I can't speak for the entire series, but I've seen half of Eureka 7 and thought the beginning was crap, but after giving it a few episodes to warm up it turned out to be wonderful. I guess bad start/good ending shows are so hard to think of because if the first part of an anime is horrible, people won't watch it to the end to find out if it's good.
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 20:45   Link #5
JerseyDevil
Eating cattle since 1735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online
Good start/bad ending : Chrno Crusade.

The ending ruined the entire anime for me, though the only redeeming part was Azmaria's resolve.
Actually, the ending was probably the only thing I enjoyed out of the series. Overall, it was horribly overloaded with cliches. The ending was the only part that sparked any interest in me.

Jyu Oh Sei is an anime I recently saw. It started off strong but totally went downhill during the later half.
JerseyDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 20:48   Link #6
Js2756
Thread Killer

Oddly, I liked the endings to Shuffle! and Chrno Crusade.

Spoiler:

Bad start/good ending: Maison Ikkoku
All the episodes prior to the introduction of Kozue are like all of Takahashi's other works. The pacing and comedic aspects of the first dozen episodes seems really forced and just doesn't seem to fit with what the show should be about. After Kozue's introduction, the pacing of the show settles down and the shift away from a situational comedy show to a well-written romance begins.

Good start/bad ending: Mai Hime
Spoiler:

Gungrave
Story really tanks once Harry isn't a major player.

Samurai 7
Should've stuck to the original plot of the Seven Samurai.

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (His and Her Circumstances)
Way to end right in the middle of a story arc, leaving a million issues unresolved.
Js2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 20:52   Link #7
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

muteki kanban musume is starting to look like it wont be able to pull itself out of that low level rut, even though episode 4 is definately one not to be forgotten.

mahou sensei negima was the biggest down hill bomber that i can think of, off hand.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 21:02   Link #8
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Good start/Bad ending:

Gantz: Great until end.. wtf?

Tenjou Tenge: They have to make a season 2 or it will stay a bad ending.

Bad Start/Good Ending:

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi: First episode was awful, imo, but the rest was gold.

I'm watching Saikano atm, and I'm predicting that it will have a horrible ending despite its good start.
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 21:33   Link #9
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

LMMFAO

What an easy question...Alot of people with similiar opinions too....

good start/bad ending

Gundam Seed Destiny (Perhaps the best start of a show in Gundam History and ends as by far the worst series in Gundam History)

Shuffle
(Ohh another good light-hearted ecchi harem, then it destroys everyone of it's characters in an attempt at being creative which pathetically fails)
Spoiler for The ending:

Tenjou Tenge (We get introduced to a cool cast of characters [Yuusuke especially] and soon as we start to love them the old cast from a series that doesn't exist takes over the entire anime and by the end it's like, "Who cares anymore??")

Saikano (Starts off pretty cool and action packed, then a good budding love story begins, but by episode 9 if you don't want this thing to just end I worry for you and your health...The last 3 episodes are like beating a corpse to death)

bad start/good ending

Trigun (This anime really goes nowhere until about ep 13 where it really takes off and gets great)

Turn A Gundam (Personally I disagree, but many people drop this series because they think it starts off bad, amounst other superficial things...I pray that you give it a chance as it turns out being one of the best developed and achieved animes I've ever seen...Forget about it being Gundam, it's just a terrfic anime with some of the best themes and character development I've ever seen in an anime)

BLEACH (Bleach was like a OK shonen show..Nothing really all that great, but then around episode 13, 14 it just gets awesome and for the exception of a few episodes or story arcs it still is)
Old 2006-08-17, 21:38   Link #10
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchunter226
The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi: First episode was awful, imo, but the rest was gold.
I guess another person has added to my fear that licensing Haruhi would never work and that western audience would abandon the show 2 minutes into episode 1.

Episode 1 is a grand parody of Japanese drama, films and such, western audience with little exposure to Japanese films will not be able to get it. In fact Episode 1 is the funniest episode, those who understood episode 1, would laugh more in this single episode than the other 13 episodes combined.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 21:43   Link #11
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsdhaleine
which animes are:

a] very promising at the start but turns out to be a dud

b] bad start, but in the end the whole was wrapped up nicely
VERY subjective questions. For example, I dont think Mai HiME was a Good Start/Bad End anime. If anything, it was a Bad Start/Good End for me because it started out slowly (almost got boring) but I loved 16th+ episode up to the ending. Yes, especially the reset.

I do however agree that FMA was a Good Start/Bad End because I hated the end for the rushed-everything-is-okay-now ending, but MAINLY for the lack of catharsis and resolution, and ESPECIALLY because they didnt resurrecting Hughes or bring Envy to justice (i.e. die a HORRIFIC MANGLED death) - hence the lack of catharsis.

edit. YES. SHnY was a GOOD start/GOOD end But like I said, highly subjective.

Btw C.A., if RIUVA is to be trusted, ODEX Singapore bought the rights for SHnY. Arts Central anyone?
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 21:57   Link #12
mit7059

Hmmm for a good start/bad ending I guess DNAngel applies, the ending was really abrupt and unfufilling. i would have to say .hack//SIGN as well I mean
Spoiler for Tsukasa:

As for Haruhi, the first episode was amazing, I laughed so hard even though I've never watched any Japanese drama, it was just so dumb! Which made it hilarious, I loved all the sarcastic comments being made by Kyon.

Suzuka is an example of a good start/ bad ending. They left so many unresolved issues! They created a rival and then just ignored him!
A series that looks like its heading toward a good start/ bad ending is Ouran High School Host Club, if it sticks to one season, which is expected the ending is probably going to be rushed and non-sensicle.

A series that might be considered a bad start/ good ending is Planet ES. Now I loved it all the way through, but considering how serious of a story it becomes, some people might be turned off by the first few episodes where Tanabe is a f***ing moron.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 22:02   Link #13
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Btw C.A., if RIUVA is to be trusted, ODEX Singapore bought the rights for SHnY. Arts Central anyone?
WHAT? You're sure about that? Sometimes I do love anime shown in Singapore, dual sound on Kids Central, subs in Art Central. You know, this may reignite my Haruhiism engine, I'll get the entire neighbourhood to watch the show lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
As for Haruhi, the first episode was amazing, I laughed so hard even though I've never watched any Japanese drama, it was just so dumb! Which made it hilarious, I loved all the sarcastic comments being made by Kyon.
You are one of the chosen ones, Haruhi-sama selected you. You are born with the Haruhiism gene.

For bad start and good endings, a whole bunch of Gundam series can be named.

Old 2006-08-17, 22:12   Link #14
Lost

Quote:
A series that might be considered a bad start/ good ending is Planet ES. Now I loved it all the way through, but considering how serious of a story it becomes, some people might be turned off by the first few episodes where Tanabe is a f***ing moron.
I liked Tanabe all the way thru, most possibly because I agreed with her AI-idealogy, or at least, once held to it. Does that make me a f***ing moron?

@C.A.: RIUVA, Orochi's comment. Lol, yes I'm gonna get my whole block watching it by maxing the volume at 11pm. One thing tho, what if they SCREW it up by releasing the episodes in Chronological order??
Old 2006-08-17, 22:15   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company

For bad start, good ending, I nominate cowboy bebop. If not for episode 5 being on the first disk, I probably would have dropped it. However, that episode was enough to get me to continue, and I was rewarded with one of the best endings of any anime.
Old 2006-08-17, 22:18   Link #16
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
@C.A.: RIUVA, Orochi's comment. Lol, yes I'm gonna get my whole block watching it by maxing the volume at 11pm. One thing tho, what if they SCREW it up by releasing the episodes in Chronological order??
Lost, lets carry the discussion to the Haruhi subforum instead lol

Its quite impossible that they will release the episode order in chronological order. It will be extremely foolish to do that lol

Old 2006-08-17, 22:21   Link #17
mit7059

Quote:
I liked Tanabe all the way thru, most possibly because I agreed with her AI-idealogy, or at least, once held to it. Does that make me a f***ing moron?
Not necessarily, her naivete just kinda annoyed me, but what I was trying to say is that from the first few episodes you wouldn't guess that the anime was heading to such a serious conclusion, not with the diaper guy stuff.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 04:19   Link #18
gknight
shounen ai

Send a message via ICQ to gknight Send a message via MSN to gknight
a] Gakuen Heaven

b] Sukisyo, Ashita no Nadja, Gun x Sword,
gknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 04:42   Link #19
Lost

Quote:
Not necessarily, her naivete just kinda annoyed me, but what I was trying to say is that from the first few episodes you wouldn't guess that the anime was heading to such a serious conclusion, not with the diaper guy stuff.
Yeah I understand. For me at the start I just thought it was realistic of them to include a character that had such a biasness based on ignorance and as you said, naivete. The important thing is that she held to that idea even tho it cost her alot. And thats why I loved both the start and the end. It started building up from the first episode (tho, yes abit slow) and it climaxed well at the end.
Old 2006-08-18, 05:56   Link #20
kari-no-sugata

I'd say that anime based on novels tend to have more "so-so" beginnings, but possibly kick-ass endings.

For example, for me, ep 1 of Juuni Kokki (The Twelve Kingdoms) wasn't that special. Not bad though... but ep 39 (original ending as it were) was seriously cool.
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote