AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-12, 09:50   Link #161
Itlandm
Porcupine

Please, Hajime is still a child. Of course the outcome of this series can not be a romantic relationship in the grown-up sense, not so long as it is limited to the summer when he is 13 and knows nothing.

I expect the manga to end with the end of the summer, and the ghosts going to Heaven (or wherever Buddhists go) after having fulfilled their destiny thanks to Hajime and his friends. We know that Hajime lives on for a long time after this, because he tells this story from what seems a long distance. That should give Jun a chance eventually (unless something terrible happens to her), but it is not obvious that they will like each other when they are no longer children. Although they would certainly have a special bond.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 12:33   Link #162
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Awww that was adorable.
Episode opens with Jun, I think "Well I wish Jun would be more feminine for a change, grow her hair, wear kimono, etc" WELL GUESS WHAT.

By the way, I still can't find volume 6 anywhere so if anyone have read that far, was today's episode anime-original or was that in the manga?
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 23:42   Link #163
Freeter
beyond

Spoiler for 11:
Old 2009-12-14, 00:12   Link #164
Midonin
Last Engage

Two more episodes. The series is set for a 13-episode run.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 01:13   Link #165
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Even though there was no explanation as to why she suddenly turned older
Well think of bodyswapping episode in Season 1.
Weird things happen when you travel through time apparently.
Old 2009-12-14, 05:45   Link #166
vio5555

We're talking about Jin Kobayashi though; the master of the pie end (appropriate considering this episode).

The ending of this story (whenever it does end) is as likely to be a reset as it is to be a firm conclusion one way or another. And to say "Hajime is a child" doesn't really make much sense. He acts exactly as a fairly stereotypical "old fashioned/hot blooded male" regardless of his age. He's pulled from an archetype where age doesn't matter at all in terms of his actions.

He is exactly as Blade from Needless or Kamina from Gurren Lagann or any other male of the manly archetype. I don't really think his level of maturity is relevant to his decision making process at this point simply because it never is for the archetype that his character follows; he's a static character in that sense. The people around him are the ones that are changing in this story, mostly through their interactions with him.

Last edited by vio5555; 2009-12-14 at 05:57.
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 10:28   Link #167
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
...there was no explanation as to why she suddenly turned older...
Remember all that stuff Hajime was coming out with about alignment of the planets and the sun in Leo, etc? That's my guess.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 10:29   Link #168
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Remember all that stuff Hajime was coming out with about alignment of the planets and the sun in Leo, etc? That's my guess.
Indeed. It was mentioned for a reason in this episode, and it worked. Still a little bit confused as to why she changed back. Going by the timing, it looked there was a reason behind it.
Old 2009-12-14, 11:42   Link #169
Freeter
beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Yup, but he also tried brushing off Arashi as a scientific phenomenon when they first met, so I figured that was just Hajime being Hajime

Then Jun turning back to normal by eating the strawberry...nah, I'm not even going to analyze it. It's like trying to explain why there was a vampire in School Rumble. Some things are best left unexplained
Old 2009-12-14, 22:15   Link #170
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Two words come to mind after that ep:

Jun end.

Wait and see... I hope so, anyway. Lordy, I love the serious turns this series takes. And the Jun eps are very often the best - she's a great character. Rarely has personal discomfort been so adorable to watch.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 04:37   Link #171
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Two words come to mind after that ep:

Jun end.
Yet again i didn't see anything in this episode that pointed towards that. All i seen was more development on Jun's side for her feelings towards Haijime. No development at all regarding Haijime's feelings.
Old 2009-12-15, 10:25   Link #172
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Seriously? All Hajime's gushing about how beautiful and sophisticated "Ryoko" was, completely irrelevant? Not to mention his candid admissions to Ryoko about all the things he liked about Jun. I have to disagree on this point - I think the entire episode was devoted to Hajime/Jun development, and Arashi was actively playing matchmaker.
Old 2009-12-15, 11:14   Link #173
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Seriously? All Hajime's gushing about how beautiful and sophisticated "Ryoko" was, completely irrelevant?
From his point of view that was Ryoko, a completely different person then Jun.

& sure Haijime was talking good about Jun, though you seem to be forgetting a huge, HUGE part here. Haijime still believes that Jun is male, and has shown no signs of attraction to Jun. He's just saying good remarks about a friend, as friends do.
Old 2009-12-15, 11:30   Link #174
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm not forgetting, merely disagreeing. All those things Hajime thought about Ryoko and boy Jun are not going to completely disappear from his mind when he finds out the truth. I think they're seeds of feelings that will take root once his initial anger at being lied to wears off. But that's just a guess, I admit, and I still think a non-shipper ending is the most likely scenario.
Old 2009-12-15, 12:04   Link #175
vio5555

Quote:
I'm not forgetting, merely disagreeing. All those things Hajime thought about Ryoko and boy Jun are not going to completely disappear from his mind when he finds out the truth. I think they're seeds of feelings that will take root once his initial anger at being lied to wears off. But that's just a guess, I admit, and I still think a non-shipper ending is the most likely scenario.
Uh, you do realize that even if/when Hajime finds out that Jun is a girl, he's not going to find out that she's Ryoko due to the whole different height/style/look, etc.

Thus, these notions that you assert that he has towards Ryoko, even if we assume their existence, are entirely misdirected and won't be properly directed since it's more likely that he'll likely never realize the whole Jun->Ryoko business.

He may connect the dots later, but I doubt it. He's not the type of character to sweat the details. In his mind Ryoko and Jun are entirely different people, and I doubt that notion will ever change...

To him, Jun is a close male friend. Even if he later realizes that Jun is a girl, his actions towards her would be totally different than they were towards Ryoko. This would probably even be true a few years out when Jun starts to look like Ryoko. The reason he was so easily able to be attracted to Ryoko is that she was a total outsider, a 100% new person to him. With respect to Jun, I still think Hajime will treat Jun as he would normally treat "a close male friend" since that's all he's ever known Jun as; it seems unlikely that Hajime would be the kind of person who would treat Jun differently after realizing he's a girl.

As for the ending, I don't think any of us had delusions about some sort of "shipping" ending. (This isn't even a shipping show...). In any case, the ending will either be Arashi disappearing and him claiming to remain devoted to her, or Arashi somehow staying with them; I doubt we see more than a short epilogue in any case.

Last edited by vio5555; 2009-12-15 at 12:16.
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 13:27   Link #176
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Time will tell...
Old 2009-12-20, 12:15   Link #177
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Well that was a nice episode with its own good deal of fanservice
Spoiler for Episode 12: RadarMan:

Ahh, she is so god damn beautiful, I think I'm in love.
Spoiler for You know who I am talking about:

Gonna vector that as soon as possible and make it my new wallpaper.

Anyway, it seems like anime-original ending is nigh, isn't it? Or is it.
I can't imagine an ending titled "Your names are Kiwi, Papaya and Mango".
Anyway that was a good run and I really hope for a - pretty much impossible - renewal.

Last edited by Daniel Lind; 2009-12-20 at 13:21.
Old 2009-12-20, 13:27   Link #178
Midonin
Last Engage

Subtext running in every possible direction (gender-wise), the presence of a mangaka allowing for some meta-commentary, and the voice of Yuu Kobayashi. I wasn't sure it was her at first, but as soon as those vocal inflections came about, it couldn't be anyone else. Couple that with the series' getting its name dropped, and that was a fun episode.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 13:28   Link #179
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Lots of fun episode this week, and so was Kobayashi Yuu. Plus Arashi was super adorable.

Loved the items that kept appearing on the work table during the episode. At one point, there was Ghidorah, Godzilla and the Starship Enterprise.
Old 2009-12-20, 19:45   Link #180
moshika

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=10944
Quote:
staff
Storyboard : Jin Kobayashi (ep 12)
Script : Jin Kobayashi (ep 12)

cast
Ami Koshimizu as Umeyashiki
Yu Kobayashi as Yoshimi Anamori
Mangaka must miss School Rumble
moshika is offline   Reply With Quote