AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-05-14, 09:34   Link #7181
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Athrun on Saviour was a wishy-washy jackass who suffered from his Seed problems again - having no idea what he's fighting for.

When Kira goes god mode, of course he'll be outclassed, although I agree that it's a bit brutal. I guess Athrun just wasn't expecting Kira to actually do something about it.

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 10:22   Link #7182
S.Freedom

Yeah Athrun seemed to be on auto-pilot during the first half of Destiny. Relying on reflex and such to deal with his opponents. Against normal grunts that was fine, but against anyone with significant skill like Kira it didn't work. Same for Sting mostly because the Chaos was a gundam.

But once Shin essentially bitch slapped him and Lacus verbally did so. He got his act together and started kicking arse the way we knew he could.
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 13:38   Link #7183
The American Average
2LMES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
Destiny's Beam Saberang (Boomerang in beam saber mode) doesn't extend that far compared to IJ's Beam Saber, so that's a disadvantage in range.
have we ever seen Shinn use his beam boomerangs as swords? I'm pretty sure he doesn't in the anime to my knowledge the only place in which he uses beam boomeranges as beam sabers is in this game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZcdUMOt2RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
With an upward swing, if it's at the right angle and distance, it's still possible for the saber to reach the solid part of the sword from the side.
then whats the point of this sword? it makes as much sense as playing baseball with a glass bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
Its an anime, Cool factor > physics and common sense in majority of cases
eg. 3 slashes from Freedom BREAKS the Saviour apart at practically every joint, lolwut?
Oh yeah teh whole "make Athrun look cool and being the good guy" forgot who i was dealing with =p. I agree i always hated what they did to the Savior gundam just an awesome Design gets that kind of treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
The biggest issue I have it that it BREAKS, I dont see any super heated and clean cuts from the beam slices

Ok actually the biggest issue I had was the whole fight, the Saviour is one of my all time favorite suits >_> (though I do like the Vent Saviour colors and name a bit better, more fitting), with Athrun's melee skills he should have taken at least an arm from the Freedom in that fight, instead it was completely one sided once Kira Seed'ed
Well with the heated cuts on the metal of MS in SEED/Destiny i don't really remember seeing that too often. The only Gundam series I remember doing the metal melting consistently is in Unicorn. with the Savior Vs Freedom fight i think this was more a Ideals vs Ideals kinda of fight which means Athruns way of think was so wrong he had to be corrected. after all you make Cagalli cry, Kira fly's in and out of nowhere to trash your suit.

with a-hole Kira this pic comes to mind http://pds24.egloos.com/pds/201111/0...3aeeada2a5.jpg
Old 2013-05-14, 13:54   Link #7184
Aquaman OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The American Average View Post
Well with the heated cuts on the metal of MS in SEED/Destiny i don't really remember seeing that too often. The only Gundam series I remember doing the metal melting consistently is in Unicorn. with the Savior Vs Freedom fight i think this was more a Ideals vs Ideals kinda of fight which means Athruns way of think was so wrong he had to be corrected. after all you make Cagalli cry, Kira fly's in and out of nowhere to trash your suit.

Athrun still seemed to be under the impression that by working for Zaft he could still help Kira and Cagalli. Kira made that distinction clear that no, they were viewing Zaft as the enemy, and therefore siding with them made him their enemy.

Of course since Kira was proven right it's hard to fault him.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 13:57   Link #7185
Kirayuki

Quote:
have we ever seen Shinn use his beam boomerangs as swords? I'm pretty sure he doesn't in the anime to my knowledge the only place in which he uses beam boomeranges as beam sabers is in this game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZcdUMOt2RM
He used that once in his fight against Athrun in ORB
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

It's from Special Edition 4.

Also, from the Master Grade model since the screenshot is hard to judge

Destiny
http://i.imgur.com/1lygVqX.jpg

IJ
http://i.imgur.com/PONoITB.jpg

Last edited by Kirayuki; 2013-05-14 at 14:30. Reason: Fixing links
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 14:27   Link #7186
The American Average
2LMES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
He used that once in his fight against Athrun in ORB
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

It's from Special Edition 4.
i guess the first picture its true, makes me wonder why didn't shinn use them more? maybe he was going to throw it but Athrun was to close =p

EDIT: well by looking at the model kit beam sabers even if Destinys saber are smaller they are not by that much. so he wouldn't have a huge disadvantage when it comes to range of the Sabers

Last edited by The American Average; 2013-05-14 at 15:17.
The American Average is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 18:23   Link #7187
wredsa

Wow this thread is loaded. Goes to show, love it or hate it, you can not ignore seed/destiny.
wredsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 19:04   Link #7188
Skye629

Quote:
i guess the first picture its true, makes me wonder why didn't shinn use them more? maybe he was going to throw it but Athrun was to close =p

EDIT: well by looking at the model kit beam sabers even if Destinys saber are smaller they are not by that much. so he wouldn't have a huge disadvantage when it comes to range of the Sabers
Shinn clearly favored using the Anti-ship swords, I guess as someone pointed out he became attached to them after Kira fight

I cant exactly blame him though, I would feel pretty full of myself and badass flying around with a giant sword :P

One of my big complaints with the Destiny design is that it omitted traditional beam sabers, which they could have easily thrown on without any harm to the unit while increasing versatility (like on the side or back skirts or maybe even the area between the wings and the back on the sides of the main backpack part RX-78-2 style)
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 19:26   Link #7189
S.Freedom

Yeah I never got why the Destiny didn't have both beam sabers and beam boomerangs. It didn't make sense if he threw the boomerangs but couldn't regain them he would be limited to the anti-ship sword for close combat.

Though I've also wondered why they limited the I.Justice to only one beam boomerang when the original had two.
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 20:09   Link #7190
The American Average
2LMES

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Freedom View Post
Yeah I never got why the Destiny didn't have both beam sabers and beam boomerangs. It didn't make sense if he threw the boomerangs but couldn't regain them he would be limited to the anti-ship sword for close combat.

Though I've also wondered why they limited the I.Justice to only one beam boomerang when the original had two.
with the Destiny Gundam wasn't it a rejected Freedom design? so like they didn't put much thought in it i don't know At least with the I.Justice he got a couple new goodies like the shin blades and a better more versatile back pack so his upgrades made at some good advancements in tech compared to the original Justice. While personally the Destiny took a couple steps back in tech compared to the Impulse. Destiny's biggest upgrade was really just the Wings of Light (which did hardly anything when compared to other series suits that have WOL like V2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wredsa View Post
Wow this thread is loaded. Goes to show, love it or hate it, you can not ignore seed/destiny.
well Seed/Destiny is an interesting Series considering all the maybes and what ifs with its Story and Technology it can really start some fun discussions
Old 2013-05-14, 21:28   Link #7191
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
with the Destiny Gundam wasn't it a rejected Freedom design?
The Destiny Gundam's concept (combining the three Striker Packs into one integrated machine) was considered and rejected for the Freedom Gundam. The Destiny Gundam itself was not a design considered for the Freedom.
Old 2013-05-14, 21:40   Link #7192
monster

Quote:
then whats the point of this sword? it makes as much sense as playing baseball with a glass bat
-Usable underwater (possibly)
-Better at slicing larger targets/breaking through defense (possibly, see Impulse vs Freedom fight and Destroy battles)

You can still "hit a homerun" with these types of swords. It just depends on the pilot's skill at using it as well as the mobile suit's capabilities.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 21:50   Link #7193
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Anti-ship swords hold a range advantage as well as adding kinetic force to the swing--your standard beam sword transfers no real kinetic force at the enemy, no real weight to deliver severe damage. The physical structure of the anti-ship sword lets the pilot slam a lot of weight against heavy ship armor and mobile suits, combined with the cutting power of its beam blade.
Old 2013-05-14, 21:53   Link #7194
The American Average
2LMES

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
-Usable underwater (possibly)
-Better at slicing larger targets/breaking through defense (possibly, see Impulse vs Freedom fight and Destroy battles)

You can still "hit a homerun" with these types of swords. It just depends on the pilot's skill at using it as well as the mobile suit's capabilities.
underwater makes sense, Slicing Bigger targets? why not make a bigger beam saber some thing like the Crossbone Gundam Pirate sword thing. just bigger.

With Shinn's skills and Mobile Suit (one of the Best in the series) he should be good enough to have the Anti Ship sword to not break.
Old 2013-05-14, 23:05   Link #7195
monster

Quote:
Slicing Bigger targets? why not make a bigger beam saber some thing like the Crossbone Gundam Pirate sword thing. just bigger.
Because it would most likely use more energy for little gain compared to a beam sword.
Quote:
With Shinn's skills and Mobile Suit (one of the Best in the series) he should be good enough to have the Anti Ship sword to not break.
Everyone has their bad days.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 23:43   Link #7196
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

A lone beam blade would have to burn through everything it passes, and thicker armor could make that difficult. An anti-ship sword, on the other hand, just needs to weaken said armor with the beam blade, and let the kinetic force of its swing smash right through the started cut.
Old 2013-05-15, 00:18   Link #7197
xellos2099

Speaking of which, we know that Yzak and Dearka were on trial after the first war was over. Yzak for killing civilian and Dearka for being a traitor I guess. We know they were pardoned. But did any info explain Yzak got promoted to White coat and Dearka got demoted to green coat? I guess in the end it don't matter too much since Dearka also sortie out with Yzak anyway.

parody
http://kenkoudaa.sakura.ne.jp/page113.html

Last edited by xellos2099; 2013-05-15 at 00:34.
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 00:51   Link #7198
The American Average
2LMES

Dont see that Yzak and Dearka getting pardoned has to do with Shinn breaking a huge sword designed for breaking even bigger stuff, but whatever i do want to know how Yzak was promoted while Dearka was Demoted. they more or less did the same thing. I know Yzak and Dearka got lucky when Durandel talked for them on trail, guess Dearka wasn't well defended compared to Yzak considering the Demotion =p
Old 2013-05-15, 01:05   Link #7199
Kirayuki

Quote:
The thought is not because "it doesn't lose that much range if I use my Boomerang as Saber", but "I would not lose in range, and also gain advantage over it with my Anti-Ship Sword. Not to mention my Sword have more powerful force on the swing (it was designed to cut through battleship after all)". So it's quite reasonable for Shinn to choose using the big sword. Note that Destiny doesn't seem to lose in speed even while using the bigger one.

However, the problem here is Anti-Ship Sword can be broken where normal beam sabers cannot (unless you cut the MS hands or something). So the problem here is the durability of the weapon itself, which clearly hadn't happened to Shinn much for him to take the possibility into account(can't blame him, he's always in raging mode whenever he fight Athrun).

Oh and for a related one, Chaos also broke the Sword Impulse's sword too at the beginning during Armory One battle. So not only Athrun and Kira can do it.
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 01:17   Link #7200
Aquaman OS

It only broke on Shinn twice (3 times if you count when SF caught it)

Not really often enough to consider it a flawed weapon considering how much damage he otherwise did with it. It's like say a beam rifle was a bad weapon for Kira because 2 or 3 times he got it destroyed on him.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, seed it and weep