Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-07-12, 19:11   Link #1
Jonte
. . . . .

Send a message via ICQ to Jonte Send a message via MSN to Jonte
Futons

keey, so I was wondering if any of you have tryed a futon?
[note: a futon is a rollout bed sorta]
If so, how are they? Im not asain so Ive never even seen one, except on pictures and in some anime (that doesnt count though).
Do most most japanese people use them? I would really like to try one actually.. I mean like my bed and all, but its so big. Also, are they soft? my bed is like 25cm thick, and a futon is alot thinner isnt it? so is it comfy to sleep on?

btw, if this sounds wierd just ignore my thread :P looool
Jonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 19:16   Link #2
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I've never slept on a futon (bed), but I don't think its soft like a bed because...well there's no matress! But I believe I remember hearing that because the Japanese sleep on a hard surface they have less back problems or something.

Actually I'm moving to Austin in a month and I don't feel like shelling out $BLING$ to get a bed for my apartment, so I was thinking of taking the Japanese style approach and getting a futon (or maybe just a sleeping bag). I don't need a big comfy bed to sleep. In fact, sometimes when I'm at home and I'm really tired I end up falling asleep in the middle of the floor and get in everyones way.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 19:35   Link #3
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Futons are great because they are firm. I have slept on one for years, it's better than a bed.

If you are going to lay one right down on the floor, make sure you keep the floor really clean! Otherwise all the dust will go right into the futon. And a heavy-duty cover for it is a really good investment, because it will save wear and tear on the futon.

BTW they are heavy as hell, if you want to move a futon very far it is best to roll it up and strap it up, and lug it around by the straps.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 19:41   Link #4
Jonte
. . . . .

Send a message via ICQ to Jonte Send a message via MSN to Jonte
ohh sounds nice, Ive been thinking about getting one lately but havent been sure. then again, they arent that usual in sweden either. guess I will have to look harder next time. another thing, most asains are pretty short arent they? (no offence).. what sizes do they come in? my bed that I have right now is pretty normal size and its getting to short for me. Im about.. uhm, 190cm tall maybe. do they come in those sizes?

also, this would be a really good space saver, during the school year I live in a dorms, and my room is like a normal bathroom :P not too much space there. being able to roll up the bed and lean it against the wall would be great ^^
Jonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 20:03   Link #5
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I'm a sofa person, I usually fell asleep watching TV. ^^

But yeah I have futon, it's really nice, you can fold and store them in your closet, it's really handy. Also much easier to transport than bed matress when you moving apartment. ^^

The catch is it's not as soft as bed matress, I found some of my friends complained they cannot fell asleep on a futon / semi hard floor. They have delicate bones. ^^;;
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 20:05   Link #6
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

I've slept on both futons and regular mattress beds. My preference is for futon... floors don't "sag" like mattresses. You don't have to buy those asian futon padding, you can go with a poor man's approach. Get a sleeping bag with a zipper on it and put a down comforter in there. Or just grab two down comforters, fold it so that it roughly looks like a mattress and there you go. If the surface is too hard for you, just add more down comforters. Usually 2-3 is enough if you sleep on your back, add 1-2 more if you sleep on your side. If you find that you enjoy it that much, you can go purchase a real futon later on.

Asian pillows are a different story. Asian pillows will flex your neck by a good 20 degrees. Many americans find that uncomfortable, it's like sleeping on a log of wood, since they're not familiar where to properly place the pillow on the head. For those who sleep on their side, the pillow is the perfect sleeping height, for those who sleep on their back, you'll need a week or so to get used to the higher height.
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 20:11   Link #7
TronDD
Team the box!

Am I the only person in the world who sleeps on their stomach? Your post, and any bed/matress commercial I've seen only mentions how great it is for people who sleep on their back or side.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 20:22   Link #8
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Am I the only person in the world who sleeps on their stomach? Your post, and any bed/matress commercial I've seen only mentions how great it is for people who sleep on their back or side.
Sleeping on your stomach will put your back out for sure! I had to give it up on the advice of a chiropractor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonte
ohh sounds nice, Ive been thinking about getting one lately but havent been sure. then again, they arent that usual in sweden either...
IKEA sells futons and the covers I was talking about. They also have frames so you don't have to sleep on the floor.
Old 2004-07-12, 20:23   Link #9
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
I've slept on futons in Japan and I found them to be quite comfortable. They were frim but yet soft enough to comfy. As for the asian style pillow, I've used one of them for many years now, and find the down or foam pillows to be to flat and "giving" to be comfortable.

I have a "bed" now, (the same one I've been sleeping on for close to 30 years now) but if I had to go out and get a new one, I probably would switch to a futon.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 21:35   Link #10
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I'm liking the sound of this even more. How much does a futon usually cost? I'm willing to use my existing bed comforter and pillows so I can retain my cheap bastard status, but might consider 'upgrades' as well.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 21:58   Link #11
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

hmm...it makes me wonder why I am Japanese and I have never slept in a futon except during vacations with my family to a traditional inn.

Personally, I dislike futons because either I was too used to sleeping on a bed since I was a child, or perhaps I really hated standing up and turning off the light especially during cold winters.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 22:14   Link #12
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

hehe. I'm a space nut (no, not the buck rogers kind either) and I love to have plenty of extra space in my room. IF it wasn't for me having a 50 year old iron bed, I might just consider doing something like this. For one it would free up a corner of my room and leave me extra floor space during the day.

Now this has me curious. hehe.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 22:19   Link #13
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

I've slept on futons through my life and I can say that it's an aquired thing...some people don't like the firmness of it, however I found I actually don't have back pains when I sleep on one as opposed to many beds.

Futons, like many have said, are firm but yet they conform just enough to make it comfortable, but yea, all of the futons I've slept on weighed a freaking ton. The first time I slept on one was when I was like 9 and I wasn't expecting it to be as heavy and when my mom told me to put it away, I went to pick it up, fell over with it on top of me....nightmares of a futon eatting me stuck with me for a couple weeks after that
DarkCntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 23:00   Link #14
Kyolux

Send a message via MSN to Kyolux
hmm.. if I can ever find one, whenever I'll be moving I'll be looking into getting a futon. Being the french person that I am, I just don't know what kimura-sensei was referring to as a "down comforter" and it's not like any translator would help. Can anyone tell what it is in other words? or a picture or something.
Kyolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 23:15   Link #15
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyolux
hmm.. if I can ever find one, whenever I'll be moving I'll be looking into getting a futon. Being the french person that I am, I just don't know what kimura-sensei was referring to as a "down comforter" and it's not like any translator would help. Can anyone tell what it is in other words? or a picture or something.
Quilt. "Down" is plucked from a goose, something like feathers that forms a layer between the skin and feathers.
Old 2004-07-13, 00:01   Link #16
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I slept on a futon for nearly an entire year in Japan and while it was okay I still prefer a nice firm matress and boxspring. That and folding the thing up every morning was a pain, I'd rather just toss my sheets up and be done with it. -.-

They're great if you need to be thrifty with space but if not they're just an needless novelty.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 00:15   Link #17
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
I slept on a futon for nearly an entire year in Japan and while it was okay I still prefer a nice firm matress and boxspring. That and folding the thing up every morning was a pain, I'd rather just toss my sheets up and be done with it. -.-

They're great if you need to be thrifty with space but if not they're just an needless novelty.
I don't think of them as a novelty at all! For one thing, they have been available in the New York area for ages, so they have never seemed like a strange thing to sleep on. For another, they are definitely more durable than a box spring & mattress combo.

Also, a lot of people (like me) use a frame for the futon so that it is a permanent fixture, just like a bed. Due to the fact that mine has lasted so long, I haven't given another thought to sleeping on anything else for a long time.
Old 2004-07-13, 00:29   Link #18
ZhanDVG
Hail to the Sky~

I've slept on futons on and off for my entire life...

I noticed a lot of you mentioning how heavy and cumbersome they are, but my folks, back in 1980, bought the best futon in the world in the little Tokyo district of San Francisco. See, all the other futons I've seen are thick and rather, well... lumpy (probably because they were all stuffed with down or cotton) but the one they got was filled with foam, so it stayed flat and smooth, and the best part of all was that it was sectioned off into 3 pieces that were held together by a thick strip of the cover fabric, so that it folded up real neatly.

Sadly, after 25 years it's not in the best of shapes... I'd love a futon again now, except they're impossible to find. (at least, here in Nebraska). The only kinds you can find anymore here are those gaudy 'couches that are called futons so rich people can put them in their homes and gloat about how novel and ethnic it is (even though it's homogenized American garbage)' It would have sufficed if the mattresses were even the slightest bit futon-like (they weren't. They were like... 8 inches thick, about, all of them)

I've been looking for one of them handy tri-fold futons, sadly still to no avail... (so, uhh... any help anyone could give on tracking more of 'em down would be greatly appreciated.. ^_^;; )
ZhanDVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 00:33   Link #19
HoboGod
Necromancer

futons are completly pointless, why not use a sleeping bag if you are sleeping on the ground? at least sleeping bags are cozy.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 02:10   Link #20
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
cause futons give a softer surface to lie on than what a sleeping bag would afford

futons....are...well
good for the back i guess
i dont mind sleeping on em
i prefer my beds on the firm side anyway
when i was in japan though
it was kind of a pain to roll those things up...so sometimes i would just leave it out all day
cause i am a bit lazy
=p
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote