Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2008-06-28, 12:22   Link #1
nani
Dreamer
*Artist

Nani's CG Tutorial

Hi, I've got some queries after posting the following image in the Artist Social Group. Instead of discussing those queries in private, I thought it might be better to create a thread here to invite comments from all members.

The purpose of this tutorial is to share/discuss techniques among fellow artists. I will kick off by describing the techniques I have used. Please bear in mind that these are only the methods I just stumbled upon (from the Internet, trial and error, etc), they are by no means the Definite method. If you know a better method, please don't hesitate and share them here.

BTW, English is not my native language so the following may be confusing. If there is something you don't understand, please let me know.

The first tutorial will describe how I draw the sea.

• The first step is to create a black background.

Create a new layer and fill it with black.

• The next step is to draw the sea.
    Create a new layer on top and label it the Sea Layer. Apply a Fibers Filter (Filter-Render-Fibers)

Rotate the image by 90 degree, apply a Perspective Transformation (Free Transformation and then select Perspective)

• We will then place the embankment on the image (the drawing of the embankment will be described in a separate tutorial)

Create a new layer on top (of the Sea Layer) and label it the Embankment Layer. Add the Embankment to the new layer.

The lower portion is supposed to be under the water. Add a Laker Mask to the Enbankment Layer and reduce the partially hide the lower portion.

• The closer the sea to the shore, the colur should be lighter. Furthermore, the sea floor should be partially visible.
    Create a new layer between the Sea and the Embankment layers. Label it the Floor Layer. Apply a Cloud Filter (Filter-Render-Cloud)

(The Sea and Enbankment layers are hidden in this image)

Apply a Chrome Filter (Filter-Sketch-Chrome), then colourise the image with Variation (Image-Adjustment-Variation) & adjust the Level

(The Sea and Enbankment layers are hidden in the image)

Position to the lower left column, apply a Free Transformation (Cntrl-T) and then apply a Perspective Transformation (Free Transformation and then select Perspective)

Use a Layer Mask to blur the boundary

• The image is nearly finished. We will then proceed to draw the waves.

Create a new layer on top of everything. Label it the Wave Layer
    Draw some white lines

Smudge the lines and apply a Motion Blur Filter (Filter-Blur-Motion Blur)

Repeat the above processes with thinner lines

• Finally, we will finish this tutorial by drawing the "boundary"between the sea and the embankment.

Create a new layer on top of everything. Name it the Wave Layer
    Draw some white lines around where the sea meets the embankment. (The Sea, Floor and Wave layers are hiiden in the image)

Smudge the lines and use a Faux Brush to add the splashing

This is the how it looks like with all layers visible. I will describe how I draw the embankment in the next tutorial. Until then, all comments are welcomed.

nani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 12:28   Link #2
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Wow, really nice tutorial. The effect is great. I will try and make a watersig some day with the help of this.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 12:31   Link #3
Eps~
Busy busy busy
*Graphic Designer

Wow that's very unique, I'm very impressed. Excellent job! +cookies
Old 2008-06-29, 10:07   Link #4
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Damn! the effects looks stunning!
I'll try it out myself when I have the time.

*gives cookies*