AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-07-07, 16:07   Link #21
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Oh damn, that's one sexy mech, with the head reminding me of the Crysis Nanosuits. Now if only they show us the rest of the mech. I didn't expect it to be that HUGE though, just from that poster alone it's head and neck alone is taller than any Gundam. This looks to be a Gunbuster-sized machine, if not larger.
Well, if this is truly a "Mecha vs Kaiju" type of film, then given that the average kaiju size in the past decade seems to be in the 80-120m range, C.A.'s estimate of 129m seems pretty reasonable.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 16:48   Link #22
james0246

I really dislike the suits the pilots are seen wearing in advanced shots. They're bulky, unattractive and look like ME rip-offs. That's not to say I wanted the sheer suits that 70s manga/anime mecha pilots wore, but since we already have to accept the implausibility of a 100 meter tall robot, the least the creative design dept could do is give us some fun suits for the pilots to wear (in other words, why try and make the suits 'realistic' when the entire concept is about as unrealistic as you can get?).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 13:52   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Oh, the horror of mangled physics!!! Well, looks like it might be a fun spectacle and we'll just have to see... there have been far too few movies worth seeing on the big screen in quite a while (I've gotten pretty brutal in what I consider "worth the big screen pay out rather than wait for the DVD" analysis).
Old 2012-07-15, 01:11   Link #24
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

San Diego Comic-Con 2012: Pacific Rim Trailer Description and Q&A Factoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadCentral
Even though we're all still buzzing about the Godzilla trailer, the good folks in Hall H also got to check out the first trailer for the Guillermo del Toro creature fighting epic, Pacific Rim. Read on to hear about what you missed.

"Today we are ending the apocalypse" -Idris Elba in Pacific Rim

The trailer opened with a couple of older fellows with a metal detector walking in the snow. Said detector starts going crazy and they look up and there is a giant robot missing an arm. The words "To fight monsters/ We made monsters" flash across the screen.

All the while showing HUGE Kaiju like monsters destroying bridges, being shot at by jets, and then a giant robot (piloted by two pilots brain linked to each other controlling either the left or right hemisphere of the body). Robots punch monsters. Straight up wrestling moves. Think a live fight between Jet Jaguar and Chtulhu.

Q&A factoids:

-There will be rocket punches. Fucking rocket punches.
-There will be 9 different kaiju monsters, each with unique abilities.
-Ron Perlman and Charlie Day are playing scientist type characters.
-The CGI and sound is incredible. Cinematography is colorful and insane!
-No motion capture. Del Toro made sure all the robots and monsters were key framed.
-Look for the flick in theatres July 12th of 2013. Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Charlie Day, Ron Perlman, Rinko Kikuchi, Max Martini, Rob Kazinsky, Clifton Collins, Jr., and Diego Klattenhoff star.

Travis Beacham's script is set in 2025, the 12th year of a war against alien creatures who reside in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The story finds a group of humans banding together to create and pilot massive robots to fight the giant creatures threatening to destroy Earth.

Apparently, the entire staff's going on a media blackout for the movie until the end of the year though, so any more news till December is unlikely

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 02:51   Link #25
Dragonkid11
A random-man

Rocket punch?
ROCKET PUNCH!?!?!
MOTHERFUCKING ROCKET PUNCH!!?!?!??!?!

That's it,take my money,all of it!!!!!!!!!!
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 08:41   Link #26
sa547
*Author

Wow... those descriptions could be like telling they're making a full shoutout to old school.

Old 2012-07-15, 09:57   Link #27
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

We need to see the trailer. NOW!
Old 2012-07-15, 11:15   Link #28
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Why exactly hasn't the trailer been released already?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 11:28   Link #29
Illsteir
ARX-Fake

Pacific Rim Panel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hNp5wwVGyI&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKDTIsousyY&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxjibkLOgm4&feature=plcp

Part 1 ends just before they're about to show the movie footage.
Old 2012-07-20, 01:40   Link #30
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I gotta say, I am pretty excited for this movie. I got some issues with the mecha, specifically how they're piloted, and their height. But I'll get past it once I see them in action I'm sure.

What I really wanna see is some Kaiju though.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 22:05   Link #31
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
I gotta say, I am pretty excited for this movie. I got some issues with the mecha, specifically how they're piloted, and their height. But I'll get past it once I see them in action I'm sure.

What I really wanna see is some Kaiju though.
What's wrong with the robots being 120 meters tall?
Old 2012-07-21, 00:44   Link #32
Dragonkid11
A random-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That's practically the SELLING POINT

120 meters tall super robot beat the flying shit out of kaiju and physic!!!
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 00:54   Link #33
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Actually in a practical stand point, if you want to build humanoid mecha, building them huge is better than building them the same size as planes and tanks.

If humanoid mecha are the same size as our current weapons of war, they'll just be completely outclassed in their capabilities. They'll not have strong enough defenses, not as aerodynamic as planes and are just upright targets for tanks.

You might as well build a gigantic mecha that has countless guns, super strong armour and can swat planes out of the sky and stomp on tanks.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 02:52   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll just walk away rather than get into the engineering physics violations
Old 2012-07-21, 04:27   Link #35
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I'm more of a Real Robot genere fan. I like my mecha to be about 15-18 meters in height. But that's me. The height don't bother me as much as the piloting does though. I prefer rugged controls like foot peddals and joysticks to mind linking. At this point, I'm more interested in the Kaiju than mecha.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 04:05   Link #36
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Four new pilot and setting shots from set of next summer's blockbuster
Old 2012-09-01, 05:53   Link #37
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'll just walk away rather than get into the engineering physics violations
Indeed.

It might work in space though.

Key word: might.

But a man can dream!

Also, if it was any other director I'd be highly doubtful of this being any good.

Also something to note is that this probably the first original (not based on a prior source material) sci-action epic to be made since Avatar. Will be refreshing.

EDIT: found this teaser:

Doesn't really show anything though.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 08:24   Link #38
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
I'm more of a Real Robot genere fan. I like my mecha to be about 15-18 meters in height. But that's me. The height don't bother me as much as the piloting does though. I prefer rugged controls like foot peddals and joysticks to mind linking. At this point, I'm more interested in the Kaiju than mecha.
In my opinion, 15-18 meter robots are even worse. They're still too big to be remotely *real* (anything larger than an AMP suit or a VOTOMS is too big, and even they are pushing it), and they lack the over the top appeal of actual giganto super robots.

15-18 meter tall super robots tend to bug me for another reason. Being about the size of actual modern fighter aircraft, you're left wondering whats intuitively superior about a *real* robot compared to a squadron of fighter planes armed with 2000 pound bomb laser guided smart bombs.

I prefer my robots to be small and practical tactical mechs, or absolutely ludicrous big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Also something to note is that this probably the first original (not based on a prior source material) sci-action epic to be made since Avatar. Will be refreshing.

EDIT: found this teaser:

Doesn't really show anything though.
That IS actually kinda surprising. You'd think after all that money Avatar made, people would be more interested in making *big* sci-fi movies.

...oh wait. Prometheus was a thing. (sigh).

Though I think we know what method the monsters will be using to attack earth from.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-09-01, 14:21   Link #39
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Actually in a practical stand point, if you want to build humanoid mecha, building them huge is better than building them the same size as planes and tanks.

If humanoid mecha are the same size as our current weapons of war, they'll just be completely outclassed in their capabilities. They'll not have strong enough defenses, not as aerodynamic as planes and are just upright targets for tanks.

You might as well build a gigantic mecha that has countless guns, super strong armour and can swat planes out of the sky and stomp on tanks.
Physically speaking it's impossible.

That's why the largest and heaviest creatures on earth are located in the ocean because the effects of gravity is less there.

On Earth, there's no way you'd be able to operate such a massive 2 legged mech without straining or destroying its hydraulics.

But like Vexx said it's a damn movie so we throw that stuff out the window
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 16:19   Link #40
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
On Earth, there's no way you'd be able to operate such a massive 2 legged mech without straining or destroying its hydraulics.

But like Vexx said it's a damn movie so we throw that stuff out the window
To be fair, for any kind of mech that was armored and equipped for head on fighting that was bigger than 3-4 meters, the same applies.

At the point you break that threshold there's really no reason to not just go all out.

Tags
bad ass, mecha, monster