AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-01-12, 18:28   Link #141
NeoSam

February 2007 issue of the shounen(boy's) manga magazine Dragon AGE:

Spoiler:

Monthly shounen manga magazine.
Old 2007-01-12, 19:41   Link #142
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

A bit late, though i was finally able to watch the subbed version - and i must say i'm very much interested in this show. One look at it and you just see beautiful after beautiful scenes - though there's a lot more to it, its able to carry on delivering that beautiful feeling through the entire episode. Shall have to check out the manga now.

& of course - people who know me know that'll be commenting on the musical score. So far its got a epic/beautiful feeling to it - works perfectly for this show, though that is what Kubota Mina is known for.
Old 2007-01-13, 05:37   Link #143
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
oh ho im loving this series now ep 1 was just average but ep 2 really pull things together into context ^_^
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 07:22   Link #144
cz23

This episode was a great one. As said above, I think what I want most right now is to know about Kuu's power. Is she an absolute angel? Is she a hidden tool? Can't wait for next episode!

Also I like the flowing romance between the two girls, call it romance or not, but I like it!

The subbed version is out now, sorry for the delay.
cz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 09:25   Link #145
ccardoso
Banned

This anime is a pile of crap for me so I'll stop watching it at episode 2, I wasted enough time on this.
ccardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 12:07   Link #146
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Episode 2 has tons of fanservice Oh! it's kinda strange because Ayako released ep. 2 as an .avi when ep. 1 was in .mp4 format. Hmm, I wonder if they'll also release an avi format for ep. 1?

--> Anyway, Himeko and Chikane look alike are in this episode
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 15:11   Link #147
warainagara
CA

Send a message via MSN to warainagara
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
Bishounen and Bishoujo take their prefex from bijin, which is a word used to describe femine, not masculine beauty.
Bishounen by definition are drawn as females but have male components. Some are actually referred to as female; Lady Oscar is a good example of a female bishounen and the leads of Takarazuka shows are usually refered to as bishounen by their primarily female fans.
Well, "bi" is also used for men, not only for women.
The reason bishounen has a common feature of feminine beauty is related to "shounen", rather than "bi."
You know shounen does not have equal masculine beauty since they are not mature as males and still neutral in their bodily development.
I don't think I have ever seen someone who is actually female being called bishounen.
She can look like one in male clothing and sometimes is mistaken for bishounen, but that's it.

Quote:
My initial criticism was about the inclusion of actual bishounen in the anime, and I think a good many people understood what I was referring to.
I was not saying the show shouldn't have attractive men in it, I was stating my distaste for a certain type of excessively feminized male character in what is a primarily shounen show.
The strict categorization of male and female animes or mangas I find in this site quite often puzzles me, since that kind of distinction is going away in Japan although it has been predominant so far.
It is true that most manga magazines are officially designated for a specific sex, but in reality marketing teams of such magazines do care about the opposite sex, which tends to be inherited by the animation teams.

For example, Red Garden is serialized in a seinen (young man) mag, but its animation is marketed in affiliation with a female fashion brand for the purpose of approaching female audience.

Peach Pot (the mangaka group of Rozen-Maiden) has been serializing a fantasy manga titled Zombie-Loan in a shounen mag and the series is notorious for the mix of boys' love and yuri. It apparently proves that it is aimed at both sexes and thus was criticized by male readership of the mag.

Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destinty is a mecha anime and that makes male fans tempted to think they are for them.
But the series were blatantly conscious of Gundam Wing which was famous as Yaoi Gundam.
Code Geass, a recent hit by Sun Rise, is a similar case in that it is a mecha but is actually aimed at both sexes.

Shounen Jump, a representative shounen manga mag in Japan, has serialized Naruto, Bleach, Death Note and One Piece and all of the titles are externally shounen but are known as actually trying to feed their shoujo fans by deliberately downplaying female characters and providing attractive male characters continuously.
You know, this is not my opinion but is a well-known strategy among Japanese manga and anime people.

If you wanna talk about Kaishaku, the mangaka of Kyoshiro and KnM,
the group is one of the mangakas who keep a neutral position in most of their titles even though their mangas are serialized in shounen or seinen mags.
That's why KnM has a typical shoujo romance meme, yaoi tint and a group of bishounen.
That's why Kyoshiro features a bunch of bishounen, a bro-con bishounen protagonist, a heroine with loose Cinderella complex, and her narrative from a typical shoujo viewpoint.
If any of you don't like its shoujo-ishness, I'm sorry that's not your cup of tea.
You had better find more conservative shounen or seinen shows with unattractive male protagonists in any girl's opinion.
The truth is the traditional designation of shounen, seinen, shoujo and joushi is becoming less and less helpful in deciding the actual genre of a show, if you agree to my definition of such a genre that it refers to the marketing target of its producing group.

Last edited by warainagara; 2007-01-13 at 18:41.
warainagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 15:12   Link #148
martino
makes no files now

Episode 2 was alright imo. Explained some stuff which left me saying "wtf" in episode 1...
Old 2007-01-13, 15:24   Link #149
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I just finished watching ep. 2
Spoiler:
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 16:00   Link #150
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by warainagara View Post
If you wanna talk about Kaishaku, the mangaka of Kyoshiro and KnM,
They are one of the mangakas who preserves a neutral position in most of their titles even though their mangas are serialized in shounen or seinen mags.
That's why KnM has typical a shoujou romance meme and yaoi tint and a group of bishounen.
That's why Kyoshiro features a bunch of bishounen, a bro-con male protagonist, a heroine with loose Cinderella complex, and her narrative from a typical shoujo viewpoint.
If any of you don't like its shojo-ishness, I'm sorry tha't not your cup of tea.
You had better find more conservative shounen or seinen shows with unattractive male protagonists in any girl's opinion and hot anime girls armed with fanservice spirit.
You're absolutely right about one thing. People can enjoy whatever title they want inspite of the label the manga magazine receives. But you have to know that the industry labels different titles with different labels with good reasons. One of them: There are so many titles available on the japanese paper publishing market that there is a need to target titles to readers systematically, unless their consumer base, as big as it is, would just be confused. They wouldn't know what to buy. That's why there are shounen, shoujo, josei, seinen etc. magazines so that readers can check out a magazine that covers an appropriate target audience. Young men will more likely find something interesting to read in a seinen magazine than in a josei magazine. This doesn't mean no men are willing to enjoy Nodame Cantabile, but the manga had to be good enough to spread over another audience.

And I hope you're not missing a valuable point here: manga serialized in seinen magazines will always be called seinen manga, and that's because the author started out with elements that would be more comfortable to young men. Kaishaku obviously serialized Kannazuki no Miko and Kyoushirou to Towa no Sora in male oriented magazines because... well, it's pretty obvious to me at least. First and foremost reason: lesbians are still in a minority, and those kind of relationships are mostly fantasized by men. Kannazuki no Miko's prevailing theme was a relationship between two women that was idealized for a man's vision of them. There were bishounen in KnM but that doesn't mean it had BL/shoujo themes/elements. It just had bishounen.

Don't get me wrong; I love that both men and women can enjoy this show, because it has both moe and bishounen. I believe these kinds of shows are winners, still I'm not going to get out of my way and proclaim it as a shoujo show just because I'm a rabid BL fangirl who sees things that aren't there. (And I'm not.)
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 16:45   Link #151
warainagara
CA

Send a message via MSN to warainagara
Spoiler for in response to Toua:

Last edited by warainagara; 2007-01-13 at 19:15.
warainagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 17:04   Link #152
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Episode 02 - Three Gorgeous Month Hundred Nights

Just like many of you I have to revise my first impressions upon my views for the start of this series.

Episode two successfully answered many of the weird mysteries and out of place unknowns introduced in the first episode. It is this episode that truly sets the plotline in motion.

Basically, it introduces three subplots for each sets of group characters.

1. Kuu possess a mysterious potential that appeals to Kyoshiro's interests. However, being the gentlemanly prince that he is, Kyoshiro is not going to force Kuu to come with them but rather to extend her an invitation to come together.

As I was suspecting since episode one and just as Kuu was nervous asking to Setsuna, I do believe that Setsuna in fact harbors a tender feeling for Kyoshiro, but she's unwilling to speak it out fearing it'll be rude or uncomfortable to Kyoshiro.

If you paid close attention, when Kyoshiro was holding hands with Kuu and pulling her closely to him on a tender manner, Setsuna was motionless watching (as the good Angel that serves her Master with obedience) but her eyes are wavering, which is an evident sign that she's keeping the pain and jealousy on herself and building up.

And I do have at least a simple look of how this route between the three of them is going to lead in a later episode.

2. The second subplot features the reincarnated characters of KnM into Kaon and Himiko. No matter how close they remain to each other, they can never be together since all powers involved are making use of Absolute Angel. Exactly which goal is to be achieved remains a mystery, what is known is that the initial introduction of both girls made them look to be antagonists.

This is not the case because both are constantly tormented and bullied by the lustful and selfish desires of Mika, who I presume is the leader of the Moon Spiral.
She actually harbors intense, lustful desires for Kaon and is fiercely jealous watching how receptive Kaon is to Himiko.

She torments and psychologically abuses Kaon in order to subdue her and to make hers and finds that the most effective mechanism to break Kaon's will is to have her way with Himiko out of grudge to the latter's compliance, as just as Kaon cannot act against her master and watches helplessly Himiko being picked on by the other girls or to be punished by Mika.

I can imagine that Mika sexually assaults Himiko for punishment and may has done many ecchi things to her to demoralize her and thus earning every time Kaon's hatred and contempt.
It's obvious that on a later arc Kaon will snap and return back the pain and humiliation to Mika a 1000x worse; it's for certain.

3. The third suplot is about Kuu's mysterious prince.

I know that in episode one she mentioned his name, but I do not remember it. Anyone knows the name of Kuu's prince?

Kyoshiro comments he has an older brother, so common sense would tell me to jump right to the conclusion that Kuu's prince and Kyoshiro must be siblings.

Spoiler:

I'm also apologizing for the opening song, Cross*Heart, since having it listened to for the second time it makes to begin warming up to the song, but I do disagree that song is fitting for the opening video; it's just too fairy-talish, fantasy, and sweet for the tone of the opening footage.

Someone mentioned that they missed this show not features KOTOKO performing either of the OP or ED songs.
If Face of Fact ~ Resolution Ver. ~, would had not been used as the OP for BALDR FORCE, then that song would had been my suggestion to be used for the OP to this series; it's fitting.

Overall, a vast improvement in this episode from the previous one.

Most of the shots from the bath scene easily earned a R-15 rating.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 17:10   Link #153
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to post something more that slipped from me.

From episode two this I understood.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 18:14   Link #154
Kisuke06
I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
BTW, "Let's Go. Together" has become the official trademark line for this show and is going to be heard fairly throughout the earlier episodes.
And don't forget "Greetings, my prince."
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 18:26   Link #155
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

hmmm not really the epi you want someone to walk in on you watching when on the screen is 2 nekkid girls bathing (yeah that just happened to me)

Pretty good epi, got tons of information now I just need to figure it all out XD
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 18:59   Link #156
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'm happy that the second episode carried on the beautiful feeling of the series - this'll be one series i'll have to buy the R2 Japanese DVD's for win-win quality. Time for a bit of speculation~

Spoiler for speculation:

We also have release dates for the OP & ED.. though no OST release yet. Thats what has me refreshing sites now and then.

OP Single release = 24th January

ED Single release = 21st February

Also, i checked out the first volume of the manga *points to his avatar*. Its just pas beautiful as the anime, probably a lot more - though its seriously in need of a lot more colored pages, though that can't be helped.
Old 2007-01-13, 20:09   Link #157
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I'm starting to think people need to see KnM before watching this to get this, not because of any references to the plot, but because of the similarities in style and swagger. I think a lot of people miss that this is an unusual style of story-telling (with an unusual story) where the emphasis isn't so much on creating a premise and following a plot, but more on putting the main character in overwhelming situations and following how she emotionally reacts. Which is why both this and KnM have easily-awed main characters and lots of internal commentaries. I think it's a very unusual mix of shoujo or shounen that a lot of people find difficult to grasp.

Ep 2.
Even if this show does start sucking, I'll continue watching because I've just totally fallen in love with the soundtrack. That's the difference between this and other shows that people say suck... I know for certain that there'll be something in this that I like. But, tbh, I don't think this sucks. I'm actually quite enjoying this show, even though I'll admit that the over-the-top style, the bizarre character actions, the weird setting and premise, etc, are an acquired taste. The rules of engagement seem to be set and there's a stark parallel with Mai-Otome, in that "anything goes". That's fair enough, but I think that could pave the way for some deus ex machina appearing in the plot later on. I'm still worried that the antagonists are (again) flat, with Chikane's (I mean Kaon's) mistress seems generic and "evil" for the sake of it. The other two (whose names aren't important enough to remember) actually had a refreshingly human interaction, but it was hurt by an attempt at humour that wasn't that funny. At least there's a hint at more-than-meets-the-eye for those two.

Good stuff so far. I dig shows like this that are willing to be strange and draw things from several genres. I suppose it's just not for everyone.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 21:16   Link #158
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I didn't care for KnM. Sorry, but I'm not for Yuri pairings, unless it's side characters. I want my main characters very hetero thank you very much.

So far this series has my interests peaked, but they better keep the Yuri down.
Old 2007-01-13, 21:29   Link #159
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I'm starting to think people need to see KnM before watching this to get this, not because of any references to the plot, but because of the similarities in style and swagger.
I'll admit that i've never had the plesure of watching/reading Kannazuki no Miko. I've always loved the style the show goes about using, though i've never got around to experinecing this type of story telling. Though even without seeing, i was still able to fully enjoy Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora to the max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Even if this show does start sucking, I'll continue watching because I've just totally fallen in love with the soundtrack.
I've rewatched the first episode a lot since its airing - and thats mainly because of its musical score. Not ever have a been impressed with a musical score this early in a series, and thats coming from the OSTpedia. Also - i noticed that Kubota Mina also did the music for Kannazuki no Miko, would you say the same style of music is used for that series?
Old 2007-01-13, 21:40   Link #160
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I've rewatched the first episode a lot since its airing - and thats mainly because of its musical score. Not ever have a been impressed with a musical score this early in a series, and thats coming from the OSTpedia. Also - i noticed that Kubota Mina also did the music for Kannazuki no Miko, would you say the same style of music is used for that series?
Yes, it's a very, very similar style. And just as good. KnM's soundtrack has always been one of my personal favourites. It's one of the few that one can listen to from start to end like an album. I just wish Kubota was in more anime.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy, kaishaku, romance, shounen