AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-12-10, 18:43   Link #61
kujoe
from head to heel

There was this long RahXephon discussion at the forums of animeondvd.com which really helped me understand the series a bit more. There was this RahXephon thread over at Ars Anime which did a lot of brainstorming too, but I can't seem to find it. Hope this helps.

Also, repeated viewings do wonders sometimes. (I've watched it 3 times! The 3rd time was through the dvds.) You tend to notice new things after the first time you get a feel for the series.

And like Forbin has said, watch the movie. Some stuff are clearer there, but be warned that the series and the movie aren't exactly one and the same.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 04:40   Link #62
T2R
Escape the void..

That is also why I am hesitant to watch it but we'll see.

If Bahbem was Mulian then why was he in the actual world and the other Mu trying to attack?

I suppose it was to set Ayato off to do his tuning as Bahbem wanted...that would be my understanding.
T2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 18:01   Link #63
Daniwindscar

Send a message via MSN to Daniwindscar Send a message via Yahoo to Daniwindscar
Talking RahXephon

Who's everyone's RahXephon Person. Girl or Boy..Doesn't matter......
Daniwindscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 12:15   Link #64
Daniwindscar

Send a message via MSN to Daniwindscar Send a message via Yahoo to Daniwindscar
I'm Also a huge RahXephon Fan....I started to watch it on ep 3....Since then I cant get enough.....I like Quon and Itsuki. Does anyone know why RahXephon Wasn't on Friday and if there still going to air it.....? I'm worried to miss a single ep and I would be so mad at myself.....If anyone wants to IM me its alright with me....I'm so bored......RahXephon Rocks and I'll remain a Fan......
Daniwindscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 01:15   Link #65
EvaXephon

Does RahXephon copy Evangelion?

If you're a fan of either Evangelion or RahXephon, or if you hate one of the abovementioned shows, I'd really like to show you this website.

http://evaxephon.com

Yes, it's my own website, but I'm not just here to plug it, I want it to spark a healthy debate about Evangelion and RahXephon. What I want you to discuss is whether or not RahXephon copied Evangelion.

In my opinion, RahXephon is a very entertaining show, but it is a clone of Evangelion, scene-for-scene, word-for-word, character-for-character. Don't believe me? Seen both shows, and disagree? Then please take a look at my site. I've composed a 17-page gallery of 165 similarities between Evangelion and RahXephon that I think proves that RahXephon copies Evangelion from beginning to end. I only hesitate to use the term 'rip-off' because it's so negative and because I still like RahXephon anyway.

Please take a look at the 'Similarities' section of my website, browse the galleries, and then come back here and tell me what you think. I'm really interested in hearing someone try to tell me that RahXephon is not a complete clone of Evangelion.
EvaXephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 01:18   Link #66
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

ya know...that's beyond creepy
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 02:05   Link #67
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaXephon
Please take a look at the 'Similarities' section of my website, browse the galleries, and then come back here and tell me what you think. I'm really interested in hearing someone try to tell me that RahXephon is not a complete clone of Evangelion.
RahXephon is not a complete clone of Evangelion
1) Anything involving subs is grabbing at strings. Only if the Japanese matches exactly can you consider it a match.
2) The events are not in the same order. (See 4).
3) Some of the scenes may match, but a lot of them are stereotypical to the genre. A lot of them are stereotypical in general! (Blushing main characters, females with large chests, etc.)
4) Your comparison basically says "Look, there are two scenes in 24^24 frames that are the same." I admit the odds of that happening 200 times or so is not high. But the probability of 100 similarities in the same genre is still very very high. (Look at any two giant robot shows.)

I can go on and on but #4 basically says it all.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 02:22   Link #68
EvaXephon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
2) The events are not in the same order. (See 4).
Not all of them are, but many of them are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
4) Your comparison basically says "Look, there are two scenes in 24^24 frames that are the same." I admit the odds of that happening 200 times or so is not high. But the probability of 100 similarities in the same genre is still very very high. (Look at any two giant robot shows.)
It's understandable to see two giant robots fight in the giant robot genre. But not a giant white human being. Eva has lots of scenes that are definately not typical to the giant robot genre, and Rah has many of those non-typical scenes from Eva.
Old 2006-07-21, 03:00   Link #69
kujoe
from head to heel

Evangelion is also guilty of having some similarities with other shows actually. It isn't as original as people make it out to be. But of course, similarites between RahXephon and Evangelion are pretty obvious with one glaring exception: the main direction.

No need for spoiler caps, I presume, so I'll just plainly say it. RahXephon is essentially a love story. NGE isn't. The other is more of a psychological drama with a fair share of plot twists and symbolisms. NGE uses Judeo-Christian motifs and symbols; RahXephon uses art, music and Mayan myth. One can also try arguing that both are somewhat Freudian or Lacanian in nature.
Old 2006-07-21, 03:20   Link #70
EvaXephon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
Evangelion is also guilty of having some similarities with other shows actually.
It doesn't matter if Eva copied another anime. That's irrelevant. The issue here is that RahXephon copied Eva. That is not changed if Eva copied something else.
Old 2006-07-21, 03:32   Link #71
kujoe
from head to heel

Yes, I understand the topic is about those two, which is why I shifted my first statement back to the both of them. I just wanted to qualify a bit what I was about to say.

But I can now see where your bias lies at least.
Old 2006-07-21, 03:33   Link #72
EvaXephon

Quote:
Yes, I understand the topic is about those two, which is why I shifted my first statement back to the both of them. I just wanted to qualify what I was about to say.

But I can now see where your bias lies at least.
I'm sorry about that, when I made this topic before, the discussion INSTANTLY switched to attacking Evangelion and talking about everything it copied from. I wanted to nip that in the bud before the entire topic was derailed by making a stern statement not to go in that direction.

Sorry if my statement seemed hostile.
Old 2006-07-21, 05:17   Link #73
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
On the nature of RahXephon's similarity to Eva, read Yutaka Izubuchi's interview with Mamoru Oshii in the RX movie booklet.

That's all I can say on the matter. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 06:52   Link #74
kujoe
from head to heel

@EvaXephon: Hey, no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
On the nature of RahXephon's similarity to Eva, read Yutaka Izubuchi's interview with Mamoru Oshii in the RX movie booklet.
This reminds me... Anyone have RahXephon Complete? I heard that it has an interview with Yutaka Izubuchi and Hideaki Anno.
Old 2006-07-21, 07:53   Link #75
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
This reminds me... Anyone have RahXephon Complete?
What's that? Some kind of a reference book akin to RahXephon Bible?

I have ADV's R1 release of RahXephon, and it had a bunch of booklets with background info and interviews, but not one with Anno, AFAIR.
Old 2006-07-21, 07:57   Link #76
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
I think he might be talking about the box set (complete with R2 artwork):

Rahxephon - Complete Collection

Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 08:25   Link #77
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
I must say that back before RahXephon got its U.S. release, I was mostly interested in it because people drew comparisions between RX and EVA. Having seen EVA many times, I have been satisfied to say that the two are similar. IMO, however, they are different enough that anyone who would complain about RahXephon being a "copy" of EVA is trying to actually justify something else.

I felt like RahXephon was much better explained than EVA and much less deep, psychologically. The Dolem are pretty much totally explained, whereas the Angels are still for the most part mysteries throughout EVA. The Bahbem Foundation is also explained well (background, plans, etc) whereas SEELE is mostly just there to further the story and serve as the ultimate enemy.

I only felt compelled to look at the first couple pages of your comparisons, but I must say it seems you are grasping at straws. A lot of the comparisions I read are commonplace in anime, not just EVA, or are comonplace occurrances. Haruka/Elvy have totally different motivations than Misato. Waking up in a hospital after a battle, seeing the light above you first of all... These are also commonplace actions/reactions. Your website is very pretty, but maybe you should just present the idea and ask people to draw their own concusions, rather than force your point of view down people's throats.
Old 2006-07-21, 08:32   Link #78
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
I think he might be talking about the box set (complete with R2 artwork):

Rahxephon - Complete Collection

This looks a lot like the R1 thinpak release ADV did some time ago. I doubt it had anything that the regular boxset (which I have) lacked. However, you are free to correct me on this. 8)
Old 2006-07-21, 09:07   Link #79
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Yes, it's also a book. I heard it covers whatever RahXephon Bible misses. Here's a link.
Old 2006-07-24, 15:20   Link #80
yellowkaiq
~Chrno + Rosette~

Send a message via AIM to yellowkaiq
At first, I thought this anime sucked. So many unanswered questions, and too many loose ends. But as the series progressed, everything came together perfectly with a little thinking, and I ended up with a good vibe off of this anime. I enjoyed it, and loved the ending.

Now, time to find a RX avatar.

Youtube.com/timelesstroll - Check me out!
yellowkaiq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha