AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-06, 10:46   Link #201
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockgar View Post
Why is Macross 7 hated?

I started watching the first 2 episodes, and found that the premise is much more interesting then Macross F. "The main character is a 21 year old rock band member who sings while piloting his mecha successfully. Who is actually doing it because he wants everyone to see how awesome he is, while fighting other giant robots." While in Macross F "We have your typical angst teenager, who hates his dad, and rushes off the become a pilot, because he wants to protect a girl he just met from the aliens in star shiptroopers"

"I am only comparing premises, not the overall plots of series both shows."

To me the former sounds a lot more interesting then the latter. However, I haven't watched Macross 7 aside from the first 2 episodes, so the rest of the series could be extremely boring for all I know. So why is it hated? Was it boring, was it silly? Is it actually loved by all, and the sites I visited where just a vocal Minority? I would assume Macross 7 was actually liked since it apparently made a several spin offs relating specifically to it.
Why?

1.Animation: is the first issue alot of people are very shallow and if the animation is iffy they get turned off fast. Also has a sure or off theme to the style.

2.Writing: It has a silly theme to the script which is complied by the song/music nature of the show sometimes. Also has pacing/Story issues.

MF has better character dev across the board alil better overall writing altho the slice of life eps drag it below M7 at times..I got bored with MF now and then but M7 despite it being filler rich it was a crazy wacky ride.

One could say M7 is like a 1X2X series that got doubled or trippled via filler.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 10:59   Link #202
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
It's not that it's hated. The series lack many things. It's a good overall series but it's not something Macross world can be proud of. There is little to no character development.
There _is_ some character development, it's just that the main characters don't much of a cut of it. Also, it doesn't help that for a significant part of the series, Basara is supposed to be portrayed as a annoying, obsessive but completely ineffectual madman by allies, enemies, and the audience alike. And he remains inscrutable throughout, so you can't really follow his train of thought and identify with him.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 11:02   Link #203
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
There _is_ some character development, it's just that the main characters don't much of a cut of it. Also, it doesn't help that for a significant part of the series, Basara is supposed to be portrayed as a annoying, obsessive but completely ineffectual madman by allies, enemies, and the audience alike. And he remains inscrutable throughout, so you can't really follow his train of thought and identify with him.
I identified wif him tho 0-o...then again...I am crazy.....
Old 2008-10-06, 11:20   Link #204
ReddyRedWolf

As Veffidas said you can't rationalize Basara.

It's like Sherlock Holmes you're supposed to look through the eyes of Watson.

In this case Mylene and Gamlin.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 11:49   Link #205
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
Well, there certainly is some, but it's really insignificant. Most of the main characters remain exactly the same. The only one that truly changes with time is Sybil, although it's no that much really. And I agree, Basara is one annoying main character. He can be summed up to one line - "Listen to my song." Theres not much more about him.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Urei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 13:38   Link #206
elfboy

To this day, I don't understand how Basara was even allowed to continue flying, especially since the army consider him public nuisance no.1. I mean Basara is like my dream at 10! I'm a mega-super guitar rockstar who flies super cool fighter jets, blow up the bad guys and saves the day. This was cool when I was 10... maybe that's why we (as more mature audiences) don't like it. It's a kids show where in a lot of episodes, there was no story arc, little/no character development, never ending supply of villains who attack every episode where Basara in his red fighter jet can sing them all away.

"Listen to my song"! LOL. Sounds like a 10 year old.

I don't hate the show -- heck I'm even tempted to get my hands on a copy (I rented it several years back, left it on the DVD and fell asleep through most of it).
elfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 14:03   Link #207
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfboy View Post
To this day, I don't understand how Basara was even allowed to continue flying, especially since the army consider him public nuisance no.1.
Thatīs because he was secretly sponsored by Max, as part of the Sound Force program.
Old 2008-10-06, 14:07   Link #208
glyph

Quote:
To this day, I don't understand how Basara was even allowed to continue flying, especially since the army consider him public nuisance no.1.
Because the Protodevlin consider him as much a nuisance as they do, and one more enemy locked on him means one less trying to off the UN Spacy guys.

He only begins to be of any direct use in battle besides being a distraction when the Protodevlin start showing up themselves, and actually effective only later when he gets the Sound Boosters and Sound Force is formed.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 20:53   Link #209
Lockgar

Quote:
It's not that it's hated. The series lack many things. It's a good overall series but it's not something Macross world can be proud of. There is little to no character development. The pacing of the series is horrid, you can fall asleep and wake up a few episodes later and you still know what's going on. Presentation of the plot is nowhere near as good as in other series.
Quote:
Why?

1.Animation: is the first issue alot of people are very shallow and if the animation is iffy they get turned off fast. Also has a sure or off theme to the style.

2.Writing: It has a silly theme to the script which is complied by the song/music nature of the show sometimes. Also has pacing/Story issues.

MF has better character dev across the board alil better overall writing altho the slice of life eps drag it below M7 at times..I got bored with MF now and then but M7 despite it being filler rich it was a crazy wacky ride.

One could say M7 is like a 1X2X series that got doubled or trippled via filler.
Well, that cleared a few things up. I just find it refreshing that for once, the main character is not a 16 year old. "some times going as young as 13, rarely ever going older then 19, know your audience", and add to the fact that the character is apparently batsh!t crazy, that seems entertaining .

Quote:
It's a kids show
Many animes are, and I accepted that, especially ones with giant robots.
Lockgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 21:50   Link #210
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Thatīs because he was secretly sponsored by Max, as part of the Sound Force program.
That's Operation M. Originally it is just Basara. Intended for uncultured Zentradi fleets.

Though we are not sure if it'll work for Zentrans but it does work for Meltrans.

As Michel said some higher ups in the military believe in the Minmay Defense.

Even Leon, the backstabber that he is more than Quamzin, recommended to President Glass if they will use songs on the Vajra.

Basara validated the practicality of the Minmay Defense to its detractors.

Why do suppose that the VF-25 can be readilly equipped with speakers?

Wait never mind I forgot that Richard Bilrer is a Minmay Otaku.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 11:13   Link #211
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Question:

In 25, the interaction/conversation of Alto, Ranka and Sheryl, in MF reality has never been existed, hasn't it?

Certainly the feeling and emotions can be transmitted through, but I think the actual image and interaction was built up by Sheryl alone.

At first I thought it was a form of telepathy, but the scene of Sheryl was healed while still lying on the floor unconscious make me think otherwise. It would be illogic for a singer who try to take control an vast army, a pilot who fighting for his life, and an unconscious singer to communicate in any mean. Unless all brain system was connected and the whole conversation was happened in 1 sec or less
If this was Star Wars, it's something like Ranka having achieved a level of mastery of the Force. Then sensing a disturbance in Sheryl, she instructed the midichlorains to behave nicely.

Quote:
Why is Macross 7 hated?
First of all, it had the misfortune of being the next Macross TV series after the OMGWTFBBQ great series called Superdimensional Fortress Macross, so people's expectations were somewhat high.

Yeah, the premise was somewhat silly and it doesn't take itself seriously (well Macross in general isn't really that serious as your usual Gundam, but M7 is of a different level) and you have to take it as that for you to enjoy the show.

On the other hand, I hear it was wildly popular in Japan during its time, so this hatred thing could just be a bit overblown.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 13:49   Link #212
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
First of all, it had the misfortune of being the next Macross TV series after the OMGWTFBBQ great series called Superdimensional Fortress Macross, so people's expectations were somewhat high.
Actually, people's expectations were high because it had the honor of airing just right after the completion of Macross PLUS, which was one of the most expensive anime production at the time, while featuring the most unbelievable action sequences. Macross 7 came off as a major let down.

On the other hand, people's memory of SDFM were slightly fading, but Macross PLUS brought it all back.

Although it was unbelievably popular in Japan for some odd reason, it is still one with the highest episode count for a Macross TV series.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 14:27   Link #213
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Thats a proof crazy Kawamori don't know when to stop.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Urei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 15:02   Link #214
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
That's Operation M. Originally it is just Basara. Intended for uncultured Zentradi fleets.

Though we are not sure if it'll work for Zentrans but it does work for Meltrans.
Next OVA for M7: Fleet of the gayest Zentrans.
Old 2008-10-07, 15:11   Link #215
Tabris

Their fleet would be fabulous.

Quote:
Why is Macross 7 hated?
Probably because it's silly and very much like a Super Robot show. Not really fitting with the Macross universe. Until you watch the whole thing and end up going from hating Basara and his shitty songs to loving Basara and his GODAWESOME songs.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 16:09   Link #216
Lockgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
Their fleet would be fabulous.

Probably because it's silly and very much like a Super Robot show. Not really fitting with the Macross universe. Until you watch the whole thing and end up going from hating Basara and his shitty songs to loving Basara and his GODAWESOME songs.
Seeing how I loved G Gundam over the top characters, and powers that made no sense what so ever. "Did they just make a beam out of love, with robots?" Loved TTGL, and thought that the last episode of macross frontier "what the hell is going on? Are they having a contest? Did that ship just punch that.... KICK ASS" redeemed the entire series for episodes 16-24 "came very close to stopping at 22." It sounds like a fun series.
Old 2008-10-07, 16:29   Link #217
zalem

Meh, I love Super Robot too so I have no issues with M7. It was silly, but it was fun and that's all I can ask for. And I'll take Basara any day over the very boring Alto. Sorry, Alto did nothing for me in MF.
Old 2008-10-07, 16:42   Link #218
Lockgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
Meh, I love Super Robot too so I have no issues with M7. It was silly, but it was fun and that's all I can ask for. And I'll take Basara any day over the very boring Alto. Sorry, Alto did nothing for me in MF.
Alto was indeed, quite generic. It may have been done on purpose though. Still, a spoony bard sounds far more entertaining then an angst teenager.
Old 2008-10-08, 08:56   Link #219
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Don't forget most people that saw M7 were really wanting to see another space opera with cool flying mecha and war.

In essence M7 is almost anti that. The "war" was more like bad guy of the week, on the mecha there was a LOT of reused footage, and the drama part... yeah it was more campy at times than anything. Also, Basara's theme of anti war seemed crazy even before we figured how he was actually connected to Operation M.

BUT once the show gets into the real sound force arc and actually explains what a protodevlin was the show does pick up.

To me Gamilin was the meter that actually mirrored the audience's attitude. At first he absolutely hates Basara and his meddling in war operations. Eventually he figures out that concept that Basara represents is worth fighting for.

Like the others have said, it's best summed up as "LISTEN TO MY SONG!"
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 13:13   Link #220
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
Don't forget most people that saw M7 were really wanting to see another space opera with cool flying mecha and war.

In essence M7 is almost anti that. The "war" was more like bad guy of the week, on the mecha there was a LOT of reused footage, and the drama part... yeah it was more campy at times than anything. Also, Basara's theme of anti war seemed crazy even before we figured how he was actually connected to Operation M.

BUT once the show gets into the real sound force arc and actually explains what a protodevlin was the show does pick up.

To me Gamilin was the meter that actually mirrored the audience's attitude. At first he absolutely hates Basara and his meddling in war operations. Eventually he figures out that concept that Basara represents is worth fighting for.

Like the others have said, it's best summed up as "LISTEN TO MY SONG!"
True its more of a simple mecha action in space thing(like gundam......heehehehe I kid), less epic than the other 2.