AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-07-24, 23:06   Link #201
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Thank for the tips.

Also, I found that Prince difficulty is kinda easy, but somehow King is way too hard. Even though I tried to beeline the tech, most of the time the AI will manage to snatch the wonder out of my hand. Usually I'm at lost at the start, do not know what should I focus first and foremost.
Old 2013-07-25, 06:52   Link #202
Jaden

There's many factors beyond the difficulty setting that affect your chances.

Bigger maps with more civs are always harder, since it means additional powerful rivals will emerge.

I also find the AI plays worse in water maps.

If you play on Terra, even though you don't see it you know there's a whole other continent you can expand to after Astronomy. Based on the map type you chose, you'll also know its general shape, unless you picked random. AIs don't take such things into account.

Your starting location and neightbors play a huge role. Nobody wants to start as Egypt and find that they're sharing an island with the Aztecs, for example. But if the opposite happens, your victory is pretty much guaranteed.

So sure, playing on a higher difficulty means you have to outplay the AIs with superior strategy, but at least on Emperor difficulty there are easy games and unwinnable games, depending on variables.
Old 2013-07-25, 07:24   Link #203
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Charitable missions: Influence boosts from Gold gifts to City-States are increased by 30%
Indispensable if you're going for a diplomatic victory, which is in my opinion the easiest way to win. All you have to do is survive until the United Nations and hoard enough gold to buy most city-states. Civs like Greece and Siam try to do the same, in which case you need shit like this.
I wouldn't call it "indispensable", especially when, as you said, diplomatic victory is the easiest victory in the game. Especially now with trade routes cranking up money in the late game is very easy and the AI for some reasons isn't quite smart at managing its own money.

I think the best advantage that religion gives is the extra happiness, you can never have enough of that, and extra happiness mean more cities you can settle or more population in those you already have, and that's the way you can win.

Pagoda are awesome, you should always get those whenever they are available. Of course you could just get the benefit of another religion but you won't have much control on that. You might end up on something that you don't need at all.

Anyway regardless of that I always build a shrine as fast as I can getting pottery as my first tech. the +10% growth from the pantheon really helps in developing my civ fast to get a head start (or rather to get on par with my opponents, since I play on Emperor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
There's many factors beyond the difficulty setting that affect your chances.

Bigger maps with more civs are always harder, since it means additional powerful rivals will emerge.

I also find the AI plays worse in water maps.

If you play on Terra, even though you don't see it you know there's a whole other continent you can expand to after Astronomy. Based on the map type you chose, you'll also know its general shape, unless you picked random. AIs don't take such things into account.

Your starting location and neightbors play a huge role. Nobody wants to start as Egypt and find that they're sharing an island with the Aztecs, for example. But if the opposite happens, your victory is pretty much guaranteed.

So sure, playing on a higher difficulty means you have to outplay the AIs with superior strategy, but at least on Emperor difficulty there are easy games and unwinnable games, depending on variables.
Agree on everything.
Smaller maps: easier
Water maps: even easier
And as an Emperor player myself I can confirm that how you start can completely change the course of the game. Just like in my latest game I spawned on an island with 7 copper luxuries and 1 silver. I mean what the hell happened to diversity?! My previous game was awesome because I got an expansion with 3 different luxuries all of them different from those near my capital.

Some starts are just horrible.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 07:36   Link #204
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

This Is Surely The Worst Possible Starting Position In Civilization V
Old 2013-07-25, 08:22   Link #205
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Look at the bright side, a mountain nearby mean you can build an observatory later and that means lot of science!

To be honest I can see some good stuff there and I'd need to see what's beyond the mountains, anyway if you start like that as the Shoshone you might as well shot yourself in he head

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 08:33   Link #206
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Agree on everything.
Smaller maps: easier
Water maps: even easier
And as an Emperor player myself I can confirm that how you start can completely change the course of the game. Just like in my latest game I spawned on an island with 7 copper luxuries and 1 silver. I mean what the hell happened to diversity?! My previous game was awesome because I got an expansion with 3 different luxuries all of them different from those near my capital.

Some starts are just horrible.
One Word: RNG. Everything is just pure luck since the RNG is the one who decides about starting positions/resources/neighbors/world shape.

Well, I had a kind of good game last night on King playing as Alexander. I played in Real World map starting in north america with no neighbors (strange because I programed 7 IAs), a sh**load of luxuries (silver, gold, ivory, gems) some horses, weat, deers and 2 city states at my sides.
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote