AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 32 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 21.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 10.42%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.04%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-30, 18:36   Link #41
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Hmm any idea if CoalGuys is good?
Old 2008-10-30, 18:46   Link #42
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its rare I'll say a group is *bad* since they're supposedly doing it for the joy of it all (some clearly aren't though).

When I review subs, I'll generally focus on just describing the translation style and perhaps the fonts and colors chosen. Then people can make their own choices. Its rare anymore to see bad timing or other problems. I'll download everyone who's subbing it tonight during "capless happy hour" and try to review them tomorrow.

UPDATE: the only ones even remotely keeping up with the airings are Paradym and Aero. The others are behind so deferring on their work for now. Aero keeps playing around with their release formats in terms of containers, encodes, and default size --- they are OTOH offering nice compact MP4 files. Paradym's files are a bit large but consistent. I have these two on queue for download and I'll do a comparison of fonts & translations tomorrow since it looks like I'm too sick (bleh, cold virus) to go to class.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-10-30 at 19:59.
Old 2008-10-30, 18:47   Link #43
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Hmm any idea if CoalGuys is good?
They are alright, imo. (don't quote me on it, but i think there was one mistake in their sub, but cannot remember what it was, probably something so minor, that i already forgot what it was)
Kushieda small scene in this episode is just priceless ^^.
Old 2008-10-30, 18:58   Link #44
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
No, no, he's just making Ryuuji and Taiga do the dirty work of getting her to reveal her inner self to people.
Pretty much how it looked to me. Feels like he's dumping the job of dealing with Ami on Ryuugi especially.

Though maybe he knows Ryuugi and Taiga are the main characters and thus feels he should leave it to them .
Old 2008-10-30, 19:23   Link #45
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Finally decided to give ep 5 a "9" (for the crime of being too short). Nice episode, the relationship webs are growing in a quite interesting mesh.

Minorin's note seemed a bit odd given she's supposedly been cleared up on Taiga's and Ryuuji's relationship but then ... that's Minorin.
Old 2008-10-30, 19:25   Link #46
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Minorin's note seemed a bit odd given she's supposedly been cleared up on Taiga's and Ryuuji's relationship but then ... that's Minorin.
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what Minorin does --- we all just have to remember, that's Minorin.

She is amazing, one of a kind.

Min Min Minorin, yay yay yay!
Old 2008-10-30, 19:40   Link #47
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what Minorin does --- we all just have to remember, that's Minorin.

She is amazing, one of a kind.

Min Min Minorin, yay yay yay!
I feel a filk coming on to the tune of "That's Amore" --> "That's Minorin"

But not sure I want to torture people...

"When her eyes meet your glance, and you realize you're entranced - that's Minorin!"

oh, ick..... I'll stop now. If I'm further assaulted by the voices in my head, I'll post it in the Minorin thread.
Old 2008-10-30, 20:06   Link #48
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I must say, this is the best episode from this series so far and I can't believe how much I am enjoying "watching" Taiga's character right now. I think it fits her all the way and whats more, she doesn't come across as annoying anymore! One thing that was off putting about watching this series at the start was that this might as well have ended up like a clone relationship of Saito x Louise.

Lets just thank god that it didn't happen and instead we are given some delightful stories. Heck, it doesn't even seem like Taiga and Ryu are developing any feelings for each other yet which is already out of prediction. I thought they might have gotten together as an unofficial couple quite early, but it is a good thing that this isn't the case. The attention is still more focused on their first loves which is something I want to see happening.

The introduction of Ami was just as expected...she is an annoying, two face girl but nothing pleases me more than watching Taiga own Ami with her usual character (one which I usually hate watching). Bravo Taiga, I like you just that bit more now

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-10-30, 20:54   Link #49
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
By saying Saito x Louise you are not saying bad thing to novel readers you know. It is pretty good pairing actually. Now anime is a totally different matter...

And I hope Ami will start doing what she likes to do - pick up on Taiga, so that that bitch would feel what does it feel when people are mean to you.

Though next episode looks like it will be Taiga's time.
Old 2008-10-30, 20:58   Link #50
Freya

What did Minori do after reading Ryuuji's note?
Old 2008-10-30, 21:11   Link #51
ShadowSongx
Meow~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
What did Minori do after reading Ryuuji's note?
Spoiler for Toradora, Ep 5, Minori's Reponse ;):
Old 2008-10-30, 21:20   Link #52
Freya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSongx View Post
Spoiler for Toradora, Ep 5, Minori's Reponse ;):
Lol yeah but what does that mean? Like screw you?
Old 2008-10-30, 21:37   Link #53
JediNight
キズランダム

It means "Yeah.... NOT!"

In Japanese correct answers are circled "O" and incorrect are crossed out "X" so she motions a circle (maru) then switches to cross (peke).

It takes a bit of getting used to since at least in my school, they would always circle correct answers and put an X through wrong answers.
Old 2008-10-30, 22:11   Link #54
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Minorin defintely stole the show this time. Her reply after being asked about being called an airhead had me on the fucking floor. Holy shit.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2008-10-30, 22:46   Link #55
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Minorin defintely stole the show this time. Her reply after being asked about being called an airhead had me on the fucking floor. Holy shit.
I still dun get what her answer meant...

Can someone out there clarify this airhead here?
Old 2008-10-30, 23:08   Link #56
Samanosuke
Genma Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post

in short , Ami is no good.
Old 2008-10-30, 23:11   Link #57
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanosuke View Post
in short , Ami is no good.
Love to see how Minorin reacts to Ami in the coming episodes.

Everything in this episode is great, cept there's no Inko-chan!
Old 2008-10-30, 23:11   Link #58
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post

Spoiler for Novel-version spoiler:

Spoiler for Anime-version spoiler:

Pick whichever one you like.

Back to the episode-
I am glad JCStaff decided to keep the Taiga's crying scene. Taiga is crying because she is feeling inferior towards Ami.

Ami is the polar opposite of Taiga- Ami is thin, tall, popular with everyone, is a friend with Kitamura, even has a name close to Mercury from Sailor Moon (ie cute)- things that Taiga are not.
This is why Taiga asked Ryuji all those questions. Why does Ami possesses such a horrible personality, yet has all the things Taiga lacks.

JCStaff made this sub context very subtle in the anime, but it is there, and man am I glad.

BTW here is a breakdown of the characters

Ryuji- Fearsome on the outside, kind on the inside
Taiga- Beautiful and wicked on the outside, kind on the inside
Ami- Beautiful and kind on the outside, wicked on the inside (but not evil)

One will notice that personality wise, Taiga and Ami are again polar opposite (there are many cases of character foils in this author;s stories).

Taiga does not try to control her feelings. The feelings that do make it out are neurotic behaviors that frighten everyone. Of course this is more like a habit of her to hide her inner self so that she wouldn't be hurt by others again (spoiler censor).
Ami also has trouble expressing her feelings. But inside of letting her emotions run wide, Ami chooses to hide all her real emotions behind a "natural airhead" front so that people will accept her- an act that Taiga can never brings herself to do.

Which is why when Taiga hears Ami the first time, she instinctively dislike her- Ami is against everything Taiga believes in.

Ryuji is an even stranger case compared to those 2 girls. Ryuji is not beautiful, nor does he needs it; he is very kind and understanding. Something that those 2 lack. Naturally, the 2 girls are drawn to him as such. Maybe, just maybe that they too can become something similar to Ryuji's personality. Then they would not need to put on such acts (whether it's running wild or hiding true emotions) and people will accept them as who they are.

Kitamura probably understands Ryuji's influence as well, so he tries to get Ryuji to know Ami in hopes of such possibility. Kitamura has ran out of ideas.

These three characters make a great character study, I am telling you.

1/Most of the stuff above are just my deductions. They may or may not be true. It is hard to tell.
2/I hope I am not spoiling too much stuff.

Last edited by Thelastguardian; 2008-10-30 at 23:39. Reason: added some more stuff
Old 2008-10-30, 23:39   Link #59
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No, it just strengthens what I suspected is so fascinating about this story.
Old 2008-10-31, 00:11   Link #60
rose-wisteria
~Cuteness is NOT a Crime~

Send a message via AIM to rose-wisteria Send a message via MSN to rose-wisteria Send a message via Yahoo to rose-wisteria
I always like the study of character foils and such so I love your post, Thelastguardian.
Closed Thread