Notices

Old 2012-02-22, 02:20   Link #661
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
It would actually be helpful if BRS wasn't in the noitaminA timeslot. This series might have stood on its own that way.
It's in noitaminA? Oh man, what's with them putting such crap shows to fill up the space? You see good stuff like Usagi Drop, and then you see shit like Guilty Crown and No.6. Well, no.6 wasn't utterly useless, but neither of those two have the maturity compared to a lot of shows in this slot.

And then there's Black Rock Shooter; yea, it'd be so much better if it were a "regular" 26 episode series, or even 13.

I'm only watching this because BRS looks sexy. True Story. And her VA

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-02-22 at 02:29. Reason: typo
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 02:29   Link #662
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Blame Thermae Romae for that, just a reminder. (It's supposed to be much more famous than most 4-koma manga series, and they got stuck in the noitaminA timeslot, causing the highly-feared BRS original series to suffer even more.)

It would actually be helpful if BRS wasn't in the noitaminA timeslot. This series might have stood on its own that way.
Why is everyone so critical about that time slot. It's just a freaking time slot.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 02:30   Link #663
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

They really need to get trash like Guilty crown and BRS out of notamina time slot. This time slot used to stand for something.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 02:34   Link #664
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I'm only watching this because BRS looks sexy. True Story. And her VA
Yeah, and I add for the record BGS looks evil-ly sexy and devilish hot. Oh, the irony.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 02:37   Link #665
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Why is everyone so critical about that time slot. It's just a freaking time slot.
Thermae Romae and BRS share a cour schedule. That should not happen in an anime series. Because of the split, Thermae Romae gets 3 episodes and BRS gets 8; by the end of the season, fans of Thermae Romae long for more episodes while BRS suffers from an airing schedule so short that it's a challenge to create a decent story. Both lose, and BRS suffers 10 times more than Thermae Romae, since the latter already "won the third Manga Taishō and the Short Story Award at the 14th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize." [Source: Wikipedia]

Also, as far as I know, noitaminA stopped airing only shows which have production quality because they are not raking in enough cash.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 02:40   Link #666
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
They really need to get trash like Guilty crown and BRS out of notamina time slot. This time slot used to stand for something.
Well I can see it's SUPAH EFFECTIVE! /sarc

It's just a time slot people. What made it amazing is the anime, not the time itself.
Old 2012-02-22, 02:55   Link #667
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ It's not just a timeslot. It's actually a mission to expand the viewership of anime series.
However, it turns out that this fails (not enough sales, not high enough ratings), so they decided to go back to the conventional formula.

noitaminA is just a project that is doomed to fail eventually.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2012-02-22, 03:04   Link #668
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Blame Thermae Romae for that, just a reminder. (It's supposed to be much more famous than most 4-koma manga series, and they got stuck in the noitaminA timeslot, causing the highly-feared BRS original series to suffer even more.)

Thermae Romae was not the reason BRS was only 8 episodes. Lack of funding was. They didn't have enough budget for a full cour.

Thermae Romae was (relatively) cheaply produced to fill the gap (and I think was a pretty decent success for what it was).
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 03:10   Link #669
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

This just stinks. A Flash-animated series that excelled against a full-blown animated series project.

Old 2012-02-22, 03:18   Link #670
dan-heron

if it's about money, I think they made the right choice using BRS. For some reason, anything BRS related seems to make pretty good money
dan-heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 03:38   Link #671
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
^ It's not just a timeslot. It's actually a mission to expand the viewership of anime series.
However, it turns out that this fails (not enough sales, not high enough ratings), so they decided to go back to the conventional formula.

noitaminA is just a project that is doomed to fail eventually.
Did they try broadcasting the timeslot world wide or something?

Animax/Crunchyroll > NoitaminA in that respect...
Old 2012-02-22, 03:57   Link #672
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ What? Isn't Noitamina only a Japanese timeslot in the first place?

Old 2012-02-22, 04:02   Link #673
djmaca
My Girl ↓

^Well you can't expand the viewership of anime by just doing it inside Japan, that's why it will fail anyway even if it has all the funding it needs. There is an slightly tapped global market for anime that can be unlocked by unhindered, easy and cheap access to anime. Crunchyroll and Animax has yet to use it to full.
Old 2012-02-22, 06:44   Link #674
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
^Well you can't expand the viewership of anime by just doing it inside Japan, that's why it will fail anyway even if it has all the funding it needs. There is an slightly tapped global market for anime that can be unlocked by unhindered, easy and cheap access to anime. Crunchyroll and Animax has yet to use it to full.
Um, the whole point was to expand the viewing audience within Japan by making shows that appeal to demographics outside the usual anime viewing audience.
(Namely older females).

It worked for a time and got good ratings, but the disc sales didn't match because only the otaku actually buy things. So lately the original concept has been partially abandoned.

However it's not completely gone... Take next season's noitamina shows: 1 is about fishing and the other is about jazz in the 1960s .
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 09:10   Link #675
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Um, the whole point was to expand the viewing audience within Japan by making shows that appeal to demographics outside the usual anime viewing audience.
(Namely older females).
The older females was the problem with noitaminA to begin with... it is extremely hard to appeal to one demographic group almost in the polar opposite of your well established cash cow

Plus what is the point of expanding before you can even establish a stable business model (most producers haven't), this is like all those neo-liberal nonsense that drive companies and countries to bankruptcy.

For BRS, things were dead simple, use the awesome character design, cash on the catchy music and have a mediocre excuse for a plot and we would all be happy... what we got is hysteric middle school lesbian wannabes, crappy CGI, and a lot of wasted potential... again
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 09:16   Link #676
dan-heron

you mean we got teenagers, awesome fights and, well not really awesome music. I miss the music from the ova.

Never cease to amuse me how people immediately jump to the "They are lesbians!" when it's just friendship... but what the hell, my inner yuri fanboy is happy with what the fandom cranks up because of that.
Old 2012-02-22, 09:24   Link #677
Malkuth
Banned

Hehe, I don't but that's the general consensus
Old 2012-02-22, 09:33   Link #678
dan-heron

good point. Huh, and several points that were general consensus about how the world of BRS worked turned out to be right.

So maybe the people behind the project were keeping an eye on the fans... which may end up bringing yuri later on...
Old 2012-02-22, 10:19   Link #679
sweet_kungfuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Thermae Romae was not the reason BRS was only 8 episodes. Lack of funding was. They didn't have enough budget for a full cour.

Thermae Romae was (relatively) cheaply produced to fill the gap (and I think was a pretty decent success for what it was).
probably most of the fund goes to Guilty Crown?
sweet_kungfuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 10:21   Link #680
Malkuth
Banned

not for writing a decent script though

Tags
action, slice of life