AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-25, 12:22   Link #741
Midonin
Last Engage

Your imagination can fill in the blanks. Sometimes, what you don't see is more enticing than what you do see.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 12:22   Link #742
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

........wow
just finished watching episode 4
yosuga no sora = amagami hardcore version!!!
still
we have to wait for BD version
orz
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 12:28   Link #743
Lilith
Your average fangirl

I dislike most girls, I hate the fact that its omni-whatever, but I'm still chaaarmed by the twins and music and background.

Rooting for the twins, but I'll probably keep watching for the fanservice. Nice kiss in Ep 3~
Old 2010-10-25, 12:52   Link #744
darlliu

see, the general problem with all 13 episode or even longer galge adaptation focusing only on one heroines is that sometimes there simply isn't enough route specific source material to adapt from.

if you have a long VN with very long routes, that's okay, as in fsn or clannad (or something with a linear progression of heroine stories, like g-string), but for others, instead of creating uninteresting fillers, it's arguably better to make several condensed alternative stories featuring all heroines.

fillers don't really develop characters, so unless you have enough source material or the director is good at making original content, a 13 episode, one route format is bound to fail.
Old 2010-10-25, 12:54   Link #745
Nickymanga

what does 終 mean?
Nickymanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 12:59   Link #746
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlliu View Post
fillers don't really develop characters
I thought that's exactly what they were for. Giving an alternate view of characters outside the main plotline, expanding the world, having fun.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 13:26   Link #747
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
see, the general problem with all 13 episode or even longer galge adaptation focusing only on one heroines is that sometimes there simply isn't enough route specific source material to adapt from.
I don't think that's really the problem in most cases -- most of these games are are at least 8-10 hours per path, so have plenty of material to do a one-cour anime if they wanted. I think the benefit of this approach is more to allow fans to enjoy a happy ending with their favourite heroine (rather than just one heroine being chosen). Seeing the various plots unfold also gives us different perspectives on the characters in the story when seen from various angles, and this can be another way of developing a story. (Like in this case, Kazuha's story is related to Akira, so now Akira's story will be enhanced given that we've already seen things from Kazuha's perspective... and so on.)

The reason why multi-path-game adaptations often diverge into what you might perceive as "filler" is typically because they're trying to reconstitute the story to give time to all the various heroines, which means they have to "improvise" when those game events don't exist (or where they were done in the game such that it was only possible based on romantic interest). This wouldn't be a problem in cases where the game had a linear story to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickymanga View Post
what does 終 mean?
It means "The End".
Old 2010-10-25, 13:41   Link #748
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecd View Post
...yosuga no sora = amagami hardcore version....
Good comparison. With the characters sketched much more quickly, although maybe not any less clearly. I enjoy this show a lot more than that one, myself. Not least because the protagonist is so much more interesting and attractive as a guy.

Ep4 was excellent. Good development, mood, characterizations, and wonderful fanservice.
Spoiler for ep4:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 14:23   Link #749
darlliu

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I don't think that's really the problem in most cases -- most of these games are are at least 8-10 hours per path, so have plenty of material to do a one-cour anime if they wanted. I think the benefit of this approach is more to allow fans to enjoy a happy ending with their favourite heroine (rather than just one heroine being chosen). Seeing the various plots unfold also gives us different perspectives on the characters in the story when seen from various angles, and this can be another way of developing a story. (Like in this case, Kazuha's story is related to Akira, so now Akira's story will be enhanced given that we've already seen things from Kazuha's perspective... and so on.)

The reason why multi-path-game adaptations often diverge into what you might perceive as "filler" is typically because they're trying to reconstitute the story to give time to all the various heroines, which means they have to "improvise" when those game events don't exist (or where they were done in the game such that it was only possible based on romantic interest). This wouldn't be a problem in cases where the game had a linear story to begin with.

It means "The End".
it's still a matter of lacking usable material

in a themed VN, you have a storyline that is somewhat independent of any romantic paths you may choose, so an adaptation can always take from that and then combine it with one romance route.

in a romance only galge though, there is a short common route quickly followed by diverging specific routes which make up the bulk of the content.
most of the path stories only make sense after you raised some flag with the heroines, e.g. kissing, sort of starting to date etc, which is a problem for a single route adaptation.

so although there are a bunch of material featuring other heroines you simply can't use them. thus the need for made up original fillers starring these side characters.
in an alternative path format, you can use all the route events you want and then simply hit the reset button.

besides, 8 hour from a galge is not that rich in material either. a lot of the daily talks, small jokes simply can't be carried over to an anime.
Old 2010-10-25, 14:31   Link #750
relentlessflame

*Administrator

@darlliu:
You basically just repeated what I said in my second paragraph.

It's not about the lack of material, is about a choice to feature all the heroines. They could choose to forgo all the other heroines and just follow only one path (which would give them plenty of material to fill a show), but they don't typically do this because the other characters have fans too.

Anyway, I think we're both saying the same thing, just attributing it to different root causes.
Old 2010-10-25, 14:59   Link #751
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

You know what pleases me the most about the fact the omnibus format is finally confirmed? No more School Days comparisons. It was starting to get on my nerves lately.
Old 2010-10-25, 15:51   Link #752
Miraluka
Banned

The SD alternative was bothering me a good time ago, with this episode I hope this will be the last time.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 16:07   Link #753
Joachim
et tu, brute?

I am not really a big fan of omnibus format.. = / , well to be honest i dislike it, shrug personal preferences i guess, and yes the big white "The end" kinda confirm it is going on omnibus format, which well.. sigh

Fortunately this 4 episode of kazuha route doesnt feel too fast or rushed....,well although for me the kiss and romance on episode 3 was kinda rushed imo (you can say that haru is a super alpha male, but heck i just cant feel it, kinda felt forced and sudden), but episode 4 was good i have no problem with it.

Why cant we have 12 episode of sora route goodness while completing some of the other girls event (not necessarily capturing them)ala clannad? I do think with some creativity this can actually be done, but then again more often than not this results in trainwreck...bah oh well
Old 2010-10-25, 16:39   Link #754
Soviet

Fuck this omnibus shit.
Dropped.
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 16:51   Link #755
DanielSong39

Wow, what a turnaround...

It's been a while since an anime promised so much from the very first episode and delivered so little.

It just confirms that there is, and only will be, one School Days.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 16:52   Link #756
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
It just confirms that there is, and only will be, one School Days.
...and thank the heavens for that.

School Days-related points officially over. People who bring it up again will find their posts deleted because I think we're all tired of it at this point. It never really applied to start with, and now it definitely doesn't.
Old 2010-10-25, 16:57   Link #757
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
They should rename this series to "Haru shows us how it's done: in 4 easy eps"
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 17:07   Link #758
darlliu

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
@darlliu:
They could choose to forgo all the other heroines and just follow only one path (which would give them plenty of material to fill a show), but they don't typically do this because the other characters have fans too.
I don't know what makes you think so, but there's no way you can adapt 8hrs worth of galge into 4hrs of animation. for example, Sora route does not have nearly enough material to fill 8, let alone 13 episodes.

back to the episode, I find it odd that they censored her breasts while previously it was A-okay. she's also hilariously overreacting a lot in that scene, so part of it might indeed be Haru's personal rendition
Old 2010-10-25, 17:09   Link #759
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
They should rename this series to "Haru shows us how it's done: in 4 easy eps"
more like 2 eps if the theory that we will reset to episode 2 for next episode (or every other girls that is)

so lets say they have 2 episode for each girls

3-4 kazuha reset to episode 2
5-6 akira reset to episode 2
7-8 maid reset to episode 2
9-10 nao reset to episode 2
11-12 sora

oh wow 2 episode for each girls

BD specials most likely will cover maid sexy friend and inchou routes, or they will chicken out and actually put sora route on BD

Quote:
I don't know what makes you think so, but there's no way you can adapt 8hrs worth of galge into 4hrs of animation. for example, Sora route does not have nearly enough material to fill 8, let alone 13 episodes.

back to the episode, I find it odd that they censored her breasts while previously it was A-okay. she's also hilariously overreacting a lot in that scene, so part of it might indeed be Haru's personal rendition
or they can go like clannad approach and actually complement other girls route in it, and yeah maybe showing breast is A-okay but vulgarly groping naked breast is a not okay
Old 2010-10-25, 17:47   Link #760
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I hate to make comparison between YnS and Clannad but at almost every animeblogs that I visited and most of them said "this will have bloody violent ending or just a crappy harem show". Clannad don't bloody violent ending but nobody say its a crappy harem show.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2010-10-25 at 19:17. Reason: No more School Days conversation...
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, eroge, romance, seinen, visual novel adaptation