AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-04, 10:12   Link #61
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Hmm, those uberly thin legs somehow scared me. The quality isn't the best, that's true, but I think I'll stick with it because of the yuriness.
Yeah, call me fangirl, I don't mind.

What I think you simply shouldn't do is compare this to Marimite. It may be some spinoff, but please, for the sake of the goodness Marimite is.. it won't lead anywhere but to negative ramblings, anyway.

And.. I like Shizuma.
niwasatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 10:38   Link #62
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
I was expecting something classy and stylish like Maria-sama ga miteru, but this turned out to be MUCH closer to a stripped-down, badly illustrated version of Kannazuki no Miko.
Your expectations were wrong :P lol

Expect a fanservicy yuri anime aimed at male audience (including moe~ characters fanservice).
Old 2006-04-04, 10:41   Link #63
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
Your expectations were wrong :P lol

Expect a fanservicy yuri anime aimed at male audience (including moe~ fanservice).
I think someone on Random Curiosity coin the best term to describe this anime season.

Season of Yuri, we have a lot yuri shows this season
Old 2006-04-04, 10:47   Link #64
vuori
The red fish is wisdom

Just got done watching episode 1. I must unfortunately say that a previous poster's comparision to Kannazuki no Miko was rather accurate. Of course, minus the mecha, action and comic parts but with extra melodrama on top.

The ED really capped the "are they seriously going to do an entire series like this" feeling. Not to mention the "what's the point of having strict discipline and lusty lasses in a catholic girls' school if it's not hentai" feeling. Hopefully this will become clear in the next 1 or 2 episodes.
vuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 10:48   Link #65
hmm

Serin is the group expressing interest to sub strawberry panic. but, there's no info on this group in animesuki. i wonder if Serin is a english sub group.

source: http://www.andrewlb.com/fansub/pukiw...?Spring%202006
hmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 11:55   Link #66
Julius Firefocht

I just sat down and watched through this properly. Strawberry Panic is exactly what I expected it to be: a yuri anime with an excellent cast of voice-actresses. Whether the storyline is good or not remains to be seen, though from what I saw of episode 1, the potential for a good story is there.

As I said earlier, the ending sequence and song is a wet-dream come true for all Mai Nakahara and Ai Shimizu fans. Before this PV, I never knew Mai Nakahara had such a good figure, nor did I know that Ai Shimizu's eyes could literally electrify a person!
Julius Firefocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 12:14   Link #67
friendshipz
lilian gakuen

both seiyuu mai-san and ai-san are the voice actress for mai and mikoto for MH/MO

in the poll for shoujo ai , mai and mikoto are quite a popular pair..and now they are couple again in strawberry panic
friendshipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 12:30   Link #68
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Nakahara Mai and Shimizu Ai in the lead roles, they really a quite a popular "yuri seiyuu" pair, as commented by this Japanese blogger.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/nanamibeya/

A yuri show targeted for guys with all girls and not a single male character in sight? But then again, there are yaoi manga for girls where there're all guys and no girls, so I'm not complaining.

Besides, Nagisa got me mesmerised.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 13:18   Link #69
Fishbait

Sounds perfect, can't wait till the sub lol
Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 14:02   Link #70
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
Well if I'm not very much mistaken it looks like Media Factory had a hand in strawberry panic so you won't be seeing Strawberry Panic subs on suki :E

-gumbaloom
gumbaloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 14:17   Link #71
thedarksenshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbaloom
Well if I'm not very much mistaken it looks like Media Factory had a hand in strawberry panic so you won't be seeing Strawberry Panic subs on suki :E

-gumbaloom
Ah F***!!!
thedarksenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 14:26   Link #72
multani2842

I found this show nice for a first episode. I hope some a group are going to pick it up .
Some gifs to wait:
multani2842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 14:46   Link #73
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbaloom
Hmmm...I thought this was a MediaWorks project. Guess I'll check around a bit more...I didn't think this was a Media Factory project (even tangentially).

*goes Googling*

Edit: He's right. Sadness. :/

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-04-04 at 15:09.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 14:54   Link #74
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I know it's wrong of me, but I enjoyed this show. Not startlingly original or well-made, but I think the character design is lovely, quite feminine. Stick legs like fashion drawings. And the very fashionable uniforms to go with them. I simply couldn't stand Kannaduki, which had a nasty feel to me, but this one, despite the aggressive yuri-mistress, felt nice. The story set-up has some possibilities (all yuri).

And the voice acting is great: Nabatame Hitomi (Shizuma, grey hair), Nakahara Mai (Nagisa, red hair), Shimizu Ai (Tamao, two long sidelocks). The ED movie is really something (even if the song is nothing much). The near-kiss at the end is ZOMG. Yes, I knew that Shimizu Ai's eyes could mesmerize you. Check out the "photos" link in my entry for her here.

And in this show, Nabatame Hitomi (Kiri) can make up for Canvas2. She seems to have a harem herself here.

This page (in Japanese) is a tabulation of examples of yuri-esque statements from various seiyuu.

As usual, I find myself liking everything I watch....
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-04-04 at 16:37.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 15:29   Link #75
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
Hmmm...I thought this was a MediaWorks project. Guess I'll check around a bit more...I didn't think this was a Media Factory project (even tangentially).

*goes Googling*

Edit: He's right. Sadness. :/

Nevertheless, Media Factory is only a sponsor, and thus holds no copyright on it. It's a Mediaworks show. This little distinction may become quite relevant.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 15:40   Link #76
Fishbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Nevertheless, Media Factory is only a sponsor, and thus holds no copyright on it. It's a Mediaworks show. This little distinction may become quite relevant.
hopefully.......

:O
Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 15:51   Link #77
Mentar
Banned

Interesting, how much perceptions can differ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Well, that was disappointing...
Well, that was a pleasant surprise for me...

Quote:
I was expecting something classy and stylish like Maria-sama ga miteru, but this turned out to be MUCH closer to a stripped-down, badly illustrated version of Kannazuki no Miko.
It was clear from the start that while MariMite was the original of the show, SP would take a different angle on it - more explicit, less sophisticated. Therefore, I went into the show expecting it to tank. However, I don't think so anymore. Yes, they stole the setup, but I believe they're going to tell a new story on it. Fine with me.

Animation is perfectly fine to my eye and certainly not badly illustrated. KannaMiko is a pretty poor comparison, since I'd be hard pressed to imagine any mecha or important issues of life and death here. Nope, it's shaping up to be a normal romance comedy/drama. Also, KannaMiko was more or less a story about 3-4 main characters. SP looks much broader in layout.

Quote:
Yes, if yurilicious pseudocatholic schoolgirls who want to sex0r each other in public is your kind of fetish, then you'll definitely like it.
Blah blah blah. I'll turn this around: If you're too tender to stomach the shoujo-ai implications, what are you doing here? Reducing SP to a yuri-fanservice show after this episode 1 is fairly ridiculous to me. Except for the near-kisses, the fanservice aspect was zero, even though there would have been enough opportunities.

Quote:
But, it wasn't actually all that good. First all, it's hightly unoriginal (but, then again, what is, after "Onii-sama e"?). Secondly, the character designs are hightly simplistic and the backgrounds are almost non-existant in their sloppyness.
Amazing that you're able to judge the originality of a 2-season show after one episode, where we were barely introduced to a few characters. My name isn't nostradamus, I couldn't do that.

The character designs are a personal preference issue, I think I'm going to like them. If you care to have a closer look, you'd see that the level of detail and the number of lines in the character design are both fairly high and most certainly not below average. And I have no clue what your problem is supposed to be with the background paintings.

Quote:
All in all, a big letdown, both visualy and plot-wise. If you are game for some shoujo-ai fanservice, then hop right in. Otherwise this is not really worth wasting any time on.
All in all, a fairly good start IMHO, both visually and plot-wise. For fans of MariMite, it's an interesting change of atmosphere with alot of similarities to the original. It will remain to be seen how they're gonna tell stories around the seemingly large cast (the OP alone shows around 15 characters). Judging the show before at least 3-4 more episodes would only be sloppy and opinionated speculation. I for one will certainly follow this (and maybe actually work on it)
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 15:58   Link #78
thedarksenshi

Quote:

*Hopes so*
thedarksenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 15:58   Link #79
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
Quote:
I let JustAnotherFan know apparently anything thats PRODUCED by MFI is a insta no no but if it's sponsored it's a case by case basis.

So we'll need to wait for a decision from asuki staff :S

-gumbaloom
gumbaloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 16:06   Link #80
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Blah blah blah. I'll turn this around: If you're too tender to stomach the shoujo-ai implications, what are you doing here?
If Strawberry Panic will be the yardstick by which you shall measure shoujo-ai, then I am laughing at your lack of scope.

It makes no difference to me whether a show is shoujo-ai or not, the only measures by which I judge a show is whether it is interesting or not, by whether it is beautiful or not, by whether it is innovative or not, by whether it is well-detailed and well-animated or not.

You might be thinking differently, and I am not taking away your right to love this show to death, but consider one thing. I am stating MY opinion here that Strawberry Panic is none of those things and by MY own yardstick it is highly mediocre in the areas where it isn't laughingly terrible.

I understand the urge to put down opinions you disagree with, but please, restrain yourself, I am not going to frequent this thread. 8)

Quote:
Reducing SP to a yuri-fanservice show after this episode 1 is fairly ridiculous to me. Except for the near-kisses, the fanservice aspect was zero, even though there would have been enough opportunities.
Yeah? And what else is there? Please do enlighten me, what the hell else is there in this show besides the yuri fanservice and the multitude of egg-headed clones who differ only by hair color, level of genki-ness and breast size? I am assuming this is what you called "broader in layout".

Do you by any chance consider Negima to be the epitome of anime?
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance, seinen, yuri