AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-11-04, 18:40   Link #1
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

Do you sometimes get sad after watching an anime?

When you watch an anime, do you sometimes get sad? I mean, if its a good anime and you like the universe and the characters so much that you dont feel like leaving the world, so it makes you sad? I dont mean like if a anime is depressing or something like that!

I think about it often being quite stupid(for me personally) - Many of my favorite animes that have had a major emotional impact tend to have been characters who had done something unrealistic, and yet I sometimes feel sad, or ashamed because my life is not as interesting as theirs!

But all good animes, are good animes because they have interesting or/and unusual stories right? So perhaps its not a good framework to compare to your normal life.
Its just that so many animes, have characters who talk so much about morals, about being right, and being devoted to something. Sometimes it also makes me motivated, and sometimes its also inspiring or an eye opener.

But sometimes I just feel sad. Even if its a good ending anime. I am just sad that its over, and dissapointed that I cant follow does characters anymore, and have to get up first thing 6 in the morning, going to the same boring work, while all my favorite anime characters live, granted, often, unrealistic lives, but still awesome and meaningful. But real life is not an anime right. hmmm.

So do you ever get sad, after watching a show? perhaps for a reason you might not even know?
Corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 18:58   Link #2
Lonestar9

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonestar9
Ehhh....it's just a fun escape for a bit, nothing more. Sometimes I'd think it'd be cool to be doing that, or living with or around so and so, but I do that with TV shows and movies as well. I don't get sad when a show ends, I like endings, it lets you move on to something else. I don't have a perfect life but it's a real life, and I focus on today and tomorrow and how to make it better, not on fantasy stuff like what an anime character is doing when I'm not watching...:P
Lonestar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 19:05   Link #3
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Yep it happened to me with GaoGaiGar. When the show ended I was like then I heard about the sequel and I was . When Final ended I was like . I do hope that the show will continue in the future, but deep in my heart I know that the show should end and never continue.
Old 2007-11-04, 19:18   Link #4
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
The only reason why we watch dramatic television or film is to view a larger-than-life situation with larger-than-life characters and be entertained by it. It's nothing out of the ordinary to see that the actors' lives are more interesting than ours. You sympathize with some and learn to hate the remaining few. Whether the hero/es succeeds or fails will elicit those feelings of joy or sadness (drama is anticipation mingled with uncertainty). A good drama can make me shed tears, and those are the kinds of films, anime, and shows I'm particularly interested in. Not that a good show needs to make you cry in the end; it just has to at least carry the potential to create rising waves of emotion.

So yeah, I usually get sad at some point during a show, and I usually know why.
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 19:42   Link #5
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
The only reason why we watch dramatic television or film is to view a larger-than-life situation with larger-than-life characters and be entertained by it. It's nothing out of the ordinary to see that the actors' lives are more interesting than ours. You sympathize with some and learn to hate the remaining few. Whether the hero/es succeeds or fails will elicit those feelings of joy or sadness (drama is anticipation mingled with uncertainty). A good drama can make me shed tears, and those are the kinds of films, anime, and shows I'm particularly interested in. Not that a good show needs to make you cry in the end; it just has to at least carry the potential to create rising waves of emotion.

So yeah, I usually get sad at some point during a show, and I usually know why.
I guess that makes sense.
Old 2007-11-04, 19:54   Link #6
orange.a
SUN faction member
*Graphic Designer

A lot.

Actually, Hachikuro's end saddened me to such extent that I was all day depressed because of that.

Aside from that (or tear-breaking endings), I usually have a feeling of "emptyness" when I finish an anime, because I know I won't be going to see anymore of it anytime soon (or never again when it comes to animes with only 1 season).

But sometimes it does happen, that I feel accomplished after seeing an anime, but most of the time I feel a little sad about it
orange.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 19:59   Link #7
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange.a View Post
A lot.

Actually, Hachikuro's end saddened me to such extent that I was all day depressed because of that.

Aside from that (or tear-breaking endings), I usually have a feeling of "emptyness" when I finish an anime, because I know I won't be going to see anymore of it anytime soon (or never again when it comes to animes with only 1 season).

But sometimes it does happen, that I feel accomplished after seeing an anime, but most of the time I feel a little sad about it
yes mate. emptyness is a great way to describe it. thank you!!! great use of the vocabulariy!

I was looking for a better explanation for the thread, because I didnt want to confuse the subject with "the most depressing anime thread"))
Old 2007-11-04, 20:39   Link #8
Lannie

wahhh I just wish I could change the world... and make it like anime... I want to be the maker of the universe and do happy endings for each person in each world...

Yeh, anime made me cry. Real life is just too tough. I'm gonna win the lottery then keep watching anime until I die. jk jk Watch Hayate no Gotoku!
Lannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 20:59   Link #9
Bocca
Banned

all the time.

especially after the last ep. of the anime (why must it end?).
Bocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 21:14   Link #10
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
"Sometimes"? Dude, most of the times when I watch a series in one go or many episodes at once, I'll fall in Post-Anime Depressive Syndrome for days and, in worst-case scenarios, weeks. As I am right now, talking about this doesn't really seem necessary because I'm not in one of >those< days, but I'd certainly write an entire book on the subject if I were depressed by whatever series I had just finished.

It's a strange feeling. Emptyness? Perhaps... perhaps seeing the characters you've grown to love leaving you behind. Perhaps it's the thought of never being able of doing the same things that they have done, knowing the people they've known, going where they've gone. Perhaps you I get depressed because my life itself isn't a story of epic proportions and that I have a cute female side-charater to support me. But oh well, I digress.

Recently, episode 22 of Lucky Star put me in a state of complete hopelessness for a long while, and I'm still finding that the remaining of that is still affecting me, even almost two months since it's aired.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 21:22   Link #11
foreverdissevered
Endless Entity

Yeah, emptiness gets to me everytime i finish watching an anime. The series dosnt last and when its over... i feel dreadful and wish i can stay/watch the story forever. The only anime that did not bring emptiness over me was Elfen Lied cause its the only ending that i am content with.
foreverdissevered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 21:42   Link #12
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Depends. Some anime made me feel bad during the process of watching it. I actually was glad to see an ending for some animes, for they have drained my emotionally.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 23:16   Link #13
Doppel

Glad to hear, I thought I was being overly emotional and irrational for feeling so.

I just recently finished watching all of Da Capo and Da Capo Second Season in almost a 3 day period. Kind of embarassing to say but even though the animation and quality is years out of date for current standards, I still found myself extremely attached to the characters. Definitely understand what you mean, even though the ending was perfectly what I wanted, I still felt kind of annoyed and sad that it's over.

Da Capo II is being aired right now and that kind of helps alleviate the pressure a little though
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 07:41   Link #14
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Maybe If it the Last Ep Of Anime very Good I well get sad ---> Lovely complex I wish I See it continued
But It Anime Not Bad there No way I'm gonna get sad ---> Inuyasha There no End
Old 2007-11-05, 07:55   Link #15
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

To first series to do this with me one Dragon Ball Z. Before you go wtf. I basically grew up with this series. Watching over span off 6 years. Seeing the end OF DBGT. Was just wow it ended. I actually missed it, while this is series you can consider as crap I have that kind of sentimental feeling with it. Naurto has a great chance to do it 2 and this series can even be considered good.

Yah Honey & Clover is probably on those few short series. That made feel emptiness. I just really really liked the characters.

AzuDaioh also did that to me. L*S didn't since I have yet to see their graduation and see them separated. Mind you at first I didn't even like AzuDaioh that much(I started to really like it after watching it a 2nd time), I even put it above School Rumble, but parting with characters made me feel so empty.

Now that I think about it Teknoman(tekkaman blade) did the same, maybe it was, because it was the first really awesome series I watched till end to finish. Since I was used to US series that never end it was not used to something so cool ending.

Btw though it isn't anime Friends did the same. =o
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 08:41   Link #16
SolarNova
Alone in the dark

Definatly...

worst case for me was Divergence Eve and Divergence Eve Misaki chronicals, not only was it a sad series but when it finished i just wanted it to continue and that everything would work out fine ..alass it didnt and i was depressed for about a week over it

Burst angel kinda did the same thing when it finished the way it did, but i was only sad for a few days, the series wasnt sad it was just the final episode, though it was kinda open ended ..it was like "hmm ok maybe she is still alive..maybe not".

But with all anime i get the feeling of 'emptyness' after watching a series..or a long movie. Currently i havnt watched anime for just over a week maybe 2, since i finished watching Black Lagoon The second barrage. The ending for that was fine , no objections ..was left open for continuation but without leaving loose strings. However i always get the feeling after finishing a series of ..'i dont wanna start watching another becouse i know ill feel like crap when its finished '

But i always do hehe. Gunna have to find a new series to dl now.

You always get over it eventually, but you'll always remember those anime that make you feel the worst ..and the best.

I wish the world was changed into a anime aswell, but not just that .. it would have to be completly different . not just 'looking' like an anime. Otherwise the same 'rules' would still apply ( like physics, magic etc ) .. the world wouldnt really be any different nor would your lives be any different otherwise.. so yea .. would love to be in a anime world but not this world as one for damn sure.
SolarNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 12:26   Link #17
moozxy

Send a message via MSN to moozxy
Yea, I'd describe it as an 'emptiness'. It's funny though, usually when I'm looking for a new anime to watch I look for one that has a managable amount of episodes, but when I finish it I get so sad to leave the characters and the universe behind..
The cure that works for me is to watch the episodes I loved the most, the one that made me laugh the most, or cry the most, again. Or I just get a new series series to watch ^_^
moozxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 13:40   Link #18
MindOnAir
~1000th Summer

I felt pretty bummed after I watched KgNE because it was so emotional. Also, there's just a momentary feeling of emptiness once a good anime ends.
MindOnAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 01:52   Link #19
Mithos Y

Location: Ontario, Canada; in a little town called Richmond Hill
Yeah, I can sympathize. Animes' in general provide an idealization of reality, or the propogation of fantasy. It's a pretty horrible feeling when your life isn't half as interesting as the shows you're watching. Even shows like the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya can make me feel sad knowing that my high school life isn't anything like Kyon's (I really wish it would be).

*Sigh* I need a Suzumiya in my life.
Mithos Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 02:28   Link #20
David L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn View Post
When you watch an anime, do you sometimes get sad? I mean, if its a good anime and you like the universe and the characters so much that you dont feel like leaving the world, so it makes you sad? I dont mean like if a anime is depressing or something like that!

I think about it often being quite stupid(for me personally) - Many of my favorite animes that have had a major emotional impact tend to have been characters who had done something unrealistic, and yet I sometimes feel sad, or ashamed because my life is not as interesting as theirs!
I found a few episodes of Nana to be rather emotionally moving. Mostly when Hatchi and Nana began growing apart, and it reminded me of what happened with some of my own friends.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime, discussion