AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2017-07-19, 15:24   Link #641
Dop
Mmmm....

Tilda Swinton would have been fab, but she's too big a name these days and she'd have to really want to do it.

But that said, it's about time. After all, Sydney Newman, the man who came up with the idea of the series in the first place, said in 1986 that there should be a female Doctor. it's only taken over thirty years. Well overdue.

I might even watch the show once the new series free of Moffat's nonsense starts.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-20, 05:49   Link #642
Ulin

I'm rewatching season 8 with my wife and h%ll it is as bad as it could be... neither clara and the doctor make any sense with their previous behaviours, it seems that Clara has regenerated too since her personality and abilities are all different
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-21, 18:40   Link #643
GDB

Yeah, season 8 is pretty atrocious. If it didn't introduce Missy, I'd say you'd be well off enough just watching the first episode and then skipping to the Christmas Special and on to season 9.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-23, 03:43   Link #644
JKL
Kyuuketsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I don't mind the idea of a female doctor, my complaint is I am not sure this is done with the right mindset. The fact is those who demand a female doctor are mostly not even fans of the show. If they were hoping that the viewership would increase just from this, they are mistaken.
Pretty much this in a nutshell.
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-23, 03:47   Link #645
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They sort of been hinting at the possibility of the Doctor becoming female for the last six years or so (with it having been possible for the 11th and 12th Doctors), and the concept is almost 40 years old, postulated back when the 5th Doctor was known to becoming up, but not who it was yet. Technically even before that when Romana regenerated several times in a row for find a body that both she and the Doctor liked when he objected to her taking the face of someone they had just left behind the previous adventure. She regenerated into a short blue woman, And extravagantly tall woman (towering over the already very tall Tom Baker by several feet), A bearded lady (or perhaps a man in a dress), and then back into the Princess again, but this time wearing clothing similar to the doctor's, with a floppy hat and long scarf. he liked that one because it flattered his ego until he realized she had just returned to the face she had when she started regenerating.
Old 2017-07-23, 03:49   Link #646
JKL
Kyuuketsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
PS: I wish we could round up all those fcking pretentious and smug hipsters who are pushing that narrative and send them all to Venus for forced labor.
I think you mean SJWs.
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-23, 21:49   Link #647
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
My opinion remained, that the best time for the Doctor to be a woman is when no one would care about it.

But well, the die is cast, what matters now as always, is the quality of the stories. But regardless there will be no sudden increase in audience by changing genders. That's never how it works.
So basically never then. Of course people are going to care. It's a role that has never gone to a woman. It would be no different than if he came back as a black man, or a Russian, or talking cat.

Do you care? I do. It will be interesting to see her take on the Doctor. Will it grab more ratings? At first maybe. I'm sure it won't last. But I can think of crazier ratings grabs than this. This....is mild. Especially considering the show has been playing with the idea for a very long time.

A world where gender doesn't matter is a world where they cast the first female as Doctor Who and no one whines about it being a gimmicky ratings grab. If you want people to not care about it, then you have to make it a common sight, so they get used to it. You know, like seeing a white guy from the UK over twelve incarnations.

Change is good.
Old 2017-07-24, 07:35   Link #648
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I'm calling it. That Army guy that both Doctors saved is the future Brigadier.
Old 2017-07-24, 11:18   Link #649
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKL View Post
I think you mean SJWs.
And creator of the show is telling all those who tried to drum up the outrage for cheap click money to STFU. The same guys who soon forgot Wonder Woman as soon as female Doctor was announced.

Last edited by Sheba; 2017-07-24 at 12:03.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-24, 11:52   Link #650
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
YouTube

I'm calling it. That Army guy that both Doctors saved is the future Brigadier.
The Brig wasn't that old though. This would be a World War One officer, while the Brig was a colonel in 1968 and died around 2011. It is possible that to guy is the Brig's grandfather.

Though the question is...is that really World War One Earth, or is that the planet at War from the War Games, because it had a World War One zone, time travel shenanigans, and the Second Doctor involved.
Old 2017-08-10, 09:07   Link #651
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Old 2017-12-25, 15:24   Link #652
AntonKutovoi

Just came back from the cinema. It was an absolutely amazing experience. Pretty much everything was in point, and Capaldi... Capaldi was simply perfect in the episode. And so was David Bradley.
Spoiler for For an episode's content:
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-25, 17:04   Link #653
GDB

Really good special. Mostly call backs to Capaldi, but also other Doctors. Not feeling Jodie yet. Her voice felt fake and forced in her scene. Not writing her off yet though, obviously. Just hope she gets her TARDIS Legs fast, because the way the Doctor talks and acts is a big part of his character.
Old 2017-12-25, 18:53   Link #654
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Remember the new Doctor has usually been weird at the very start. An, adjustment period.
Spoiler for Well....:

They get weird habits, or say things oddly....get strange cravings, or just sort of nonsensical for at least part of their first full episode. Even the Second Doctor had to quiet the noises and focus to keep his feet the first time. Plus he was rather odd for the first two episodes before he started to become defined as "The Doctor" while dealing with the Daleks.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2017-12-25 at 19:26.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-20, 01:11   Link #655
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Official Trailer for the newest season.

Old 2018-07-20, 01:32   Link #656
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So, for what reason do I get a David Tennant/Tenth Doctor vibe from her "Right. This is going to be fun." line?
Old 2018-11-05, 06:54   Link #657
AntonKutovoi

So far... it's really bad. I like Jodie as a Doctor, but that's about it. Special effects are mediocre at best, and after the first episode stories are just so ridiculously cheesy that its awkward to watch.

Oh, and episodes are also badly filmed. There's really alot of the awkward closeups, which look like as if crew wants to hit actors with a camera.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-05, 07:02   Link #658
GDB

Haven't watched this week's yet, but yeah the writing and plots aren't very good so far. Jodie's great, and Graham is great, but the rest... meh. Currently vying with season 8 as my least favorite.
Old 2018-11-05, 08:31   Link #659
Tenzen12

Jodie really make great doctor, cast is likeable and I can't say DW ever had great special effects in first place. But I feel that it becomming too political charged in left way into point it's not subtle.

If it Cybermen became renamed to Cyberhumans and It get revealed that all these genocidical Daleks were just radicalised minority, I think I will have no choice but quit.
Old 2018-11-12, 09:38   Link #660
DracoS

Quite liking the new who. Writing seems more on point then last. They also seem more willing to take a mature bite out of fairly heavy topics with episodes like Rosa and the Partition of India in the latest.
DracoS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction