AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-04-12, 05:19   Link #61
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I have seen SukaSuka used in a fair number of different places for what it is worth, both anime streaming sites (like CR), anime news sites (like ANN), novel review blogs, and similar places (anime-planet, MAL, etc.)
I guess this is good enough, then.
Old 2017-04-12, 06:07   Link #62
Zefyris
図書館狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoor View Post
I have to admit that lately I've become doubtful of any series with a very long name but this one was better than I expected. The MC is a bit too dense not to figure out what weapons were kept in the warehouse. Looking forward to the next episode.
You need to consider the background of that character. He's used to take care of children, like the ending shows. There's no way he would associate cute lively children with weapons like that. We can because we're watching a story, and maybe even read the synopsis talking about it, and not living it like Willhem.
Also even taking this in account, many viewers still didn't guessed that until Kutori explained it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
The title is pretty long, is there an official shorter way to call it? I did see someone in here calling it sukasuka but I'm not sure if it's something used broadly, though.

Nice insert songs, by the way.
There's two ways. The popular one is sukasuka indeed, that's what most peoples call it. The author tried to have another short name being used (shumatsuna) but it never really got popular.
The author is still using it though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Also, I didn't know trolls could be so pretty and kawaii. All the ones I kill in Skyrim are anything but.
That's because almost all trolls in modern fantasy settings are directly inspired from tolkien's trolls.
However, in legends, trolls/ogres weren't especially of inhuman appearance. As some peoples may have guessed from what Naigrat says this episode (about showing hospitality being another natural behaviour of trolls just like eating humans is), the trolls in sukasuka are inspired of legends of civilized human-like monsters, who live in a proper house (and not in some grotto) away from villages and town. Those stories usually tells about travellers carelessly finding themselves far away from town and villages when the night come, and asking for hospitality at an isolated house nearby. The peoples living in the house welcome the traveller, sometimes even giving him a real feast for his dinner, before eating him during the night after feeding him like that.

As such, it's obvious that such species that had a way of life based on getting mistaken for a human are going to look completely human.

It is also worth to note that just because a few races in sukasuka look like normal humans, it doesn't mean that their bodies are really like human bodies all the way, they just LOOK like humans.

--------------------------

BTW, in light of what I said just above about trolls in sukasuka, I saw a lots of comments in the previous pages complaining about the troll lady not being monstrous in any way. If you payed attention to this episode properly. You would know that this precise job was requiring a species that looks like humans. Grick said it very clearly in the job requirement.
So even if trolls in sukasuka were completely cliché tolkien trolls (like apparently many wished them to be, while complaining about cliché themselves, nice logic here), you would then have had another race instead.
Key word is "Disfeatured". Remember that name becaus eyou're going to see it regularly. It designs any race that have no external visible difference with the human species, basically they have no inhuman "external feature" (horn, different skin like frog or lizard, feather, no inhuman shaped head, no tail, no fur, no claws, no fangs, and so on).

So. Why are some complaining that the person that took a job specially addressed to disfeatured species is from a disfeatured species ?

Also if disfeatured is a word, it means in itself that there ARE several species out there that are disfeatured. And that just like the local crowd reaction in episode 1 has shown us, they usually have a hard time living directly in towns because of the backlash. So a job far away from everything like Naigrat got is absolutely perfect for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
OK, I already have a huge problem with this show. If everyone is in danger of being killed by horrible creatures and the only ones who can fight said creatures are these girls.... WHY THE HELL DO YOU HATE THESE GIRLS? WTF is wrong with all the other races?
Key word for answer here is "secret weapons". As it suggests, those weapons are, well, secret. And if they're kept secret from the public knowledge, then normal folks have absolutely no way to know that their military use disfeatured as part of their weaponry to protect them.
Furthermore, they have the "weapons" status, not "soldiers". Not sure that even if peoples knew about it, they would be nice toward a weapon walking among them.

Last edited by Zefyris; 2017-04-12 at 13:10.
Zefyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 07:15   Link #63
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefyris View Post
Oy oy, starting with that scene, those words and that song is completely against the rules, damn it. Is that an attempt to make cry the novel readers in the first 30sec or what~.
I recently went to read it up to ... well where the translations ended, if they want me to buy the original they have to do well in this anime.

To be honest, when those scenes were played, I was like "Oh, so that's how you play that card. I see."

Because when you get past the special elaborations of its setting which are indeed rather elegant, in terms of its basic setup and plotline Sukasuka up to the probable end point of this anime is conventional grimdark. Ironically, Kudori would probably have looked more sympathetic, not less if the author hadn't been working so hard to make her worthy of Seniolis.

So the LN probably didn't work for me as much as it did for you (and remember adaptations are often poor at transmitting all the elegancies of the LN's world setting due to the limitations of its format, so the basic plotline shines through more), and so it'll really depend on the execution. If the voice actors and music do their work, it can work for me, I predict.

Overall, the episode is about a "Satisfactory". The beginning visuals and song were pretty but about starting from when Kudori went home things became kind of ... average. Not that anything was really bad. It just lacks a real standout.

Quote:
You need to consider the background of that character. He's used to take care of children, like the ending shows. There's no way he would associate cute lively children with weapons like that. We can because we're watching a story, and maybe even read the synopsis talking about it, not living it.
Also even taking this in account, many viewers still didn't guessed that until Kutori explained it.
I agree, and further, I think that most people are just expecting the protagonist to be genre-savvy, and this one isn't. I think that most of us who guessed they are going this path on the first runthrough had watched too much anime.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 08:08   Link #64
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
Key word for answer here is "secret weapons"

Usually "secret weapon" means it's secret from the enemy.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 08:26   Link #65
Zefyris
図書館狼

Quote:
And how do you keep it secret from the enemy if you have it public on your side lol?That's the same thing obviously....
Old 2017-04-12, 08:35   Link #66
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Quote:
Usually "it's secret from the enemy" means its secret from general public with only limited military personnel having access to it.
Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 09:58   Link #67
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

well, this one looks like it could be depressing. count me in.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 10:05   Link #68
RDNexus

I may be weak to heartrending stories, but I liked this Ep01, so I'll steel myself as best as I can and keep up with this story.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 11:01   Link #69
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
I liked the first episode and I have high expectations for this show!

Oh btw, did any of you watch the post-ending credits scene? That was... very grim.
Old 2017-04-12, 15:20   Link #70
nicky.
animesuki

Pretty good opening; they showed us the a bit of world they live in by using an explosive scene and leave us wanting to know more. Such as, how they erected giant sophisticated buildings and why they hate people who aren't animals, and what is the cat supposed to represent as well what the item is for. They don't delve into even a single one later on though, which is sad.

Not a fan of the montage, as they are often lazy ways of dumping quick info lacking details, making the time spent for the montage almost meaningless. Speaking of which, in the montage there were normal animals like chickens and bulls. Why made them not be talking bi-pedal animals? Lol

Unfortunately, it was not shown where the raw materials for their "island" civilizations are coming from, nor how transportation of people and things work. Just terrible world building, even for a fantasy genre. The only thing they even bothered to mention regarding the city's life and culture was the military.
You had over 20 minutes to show off cool stuff about the setting, but they instead choose hi-jinks with lolis. This should be labeled "failed comedy" genre, not "drama". Disappointed.
nicky. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 16:24   Link #71
Zefyris
図書館狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky. View Post
Pretty good opening; they showed us the a bit of world they live in by using an explosive scene and leave us wanting to know more. Such as, how they erected giant sophisticated buildings and why they hate people who aren't animals, and what is the cat supposed to represent as well what the item is for. They don't delve into even a single one later on though, which is sad.

Not a fan of the montage, as they are often lazy ways of dumping quick info lacking details, making the time spent for the montage almost meaningless. Speaking of which, in the montage there were normal animals like chickens and bulls. Why made them not be talking bi-pedal animals? Lol

Unfortunately, it was not shown where the raw materials for their "island" civilizations are coming from, nor how transportation of people and things work. Just terrible world building, even for a fantasy genre. The only thing they even bothered to mention regarding the city's life and culture was the military.
You had over 20 minutes to show off cool stuff about the setting, but they instead choose hi-jinks with lolis. This should be labeled "failed comedy" genre, not "drama". Disappointed.
Why are you complaining that a first episode don't explain you the local architecture, history and economical resources of the world it's in? Are we supposed to take you seriously right now?
Old 2017-04-12, 17:09   Link #72
nicky.
animesuki

Quote:
Why are you complaining that a first episode don't explain you the local architecture, history and economical resources of the world it's in? Are we supposed to take you seriously right now?
Yes it's serious, because they devoted 12 minutes to talking to the woman troll and the lolis. It is absolutely a logical complaint; you'd be wrong not to question it. Dialogue-heavy drivel can come in later episodes. You need to develop your setting first, especially when interesting setting is all this anime has going for it.
Old 2017-04-12, 17:21   Link #73
RDNexus

Honestly, I felt like there had been enough setting exposition for this first episode.
Setting can be explored along the episodes as much as dialogue and plot proper.
Old 2017-04-12, 17:30   Link #74
nicky.
animesuki

xrick, what exactly what disclosed about the setting? We saw virtually nothing but the town hub.
Not just visual aspects either, but the dynamic between the different "islands", what makes them levitate, or the struggles of life in such a place weren't touched upon in the slightest. It doesn't take a good author 4 episodes to explore only a minuscule number of important things about the setting, that's ridiculous. We're not asking for a lot here, just one or two aspects to be expanded upon..

This is not an attack against anyone if they liked this thing, but if an average anime is what the creators want, it should just be a normal Earth/planet/whatever.
Old 2017-04-12, 17:39   Link #75
RDNexus

Please, as if the way I mentioned before hadn't been applied time and again in many different kinds of stories.
They don't slap you that stuff in your face all at once, since they need to have a strong enough Ep01 to get invested in the rest of the series.
If they had done things your way, you can bet many people here could be complaining of snoozefest or of barely anything interesting having been portrayed.
Old 2017-04-12, 17:42   Link #76
Zefyris
図書館狼

Quote:
Yes it's serious, because they devoted 12 minutes to talking to the woman troll and the lolis. It is absolutely a logical complaint; you'd be wrong not to question it. Dialogue-heavy drivel can come in later episodes. You need to develop your setting first, especially when interesting setting is all this anime has going for it.
I'd be wrong to not question your complaints. you're asking for info on architecture, local economy and local resources' transport and meanwhile refuse to see proper character introductions as well as developments of characters relationship in a first episode.

Your conception of story writing is beyond awful.
Old 2017-04-12, 17:55   Link #77
nicky.
animesuki

Zefyris why are you resorting to childish verbal attacks against me? I never insulted you and you should pay the same homage.
Old 2017-04-12, 17:58   Link #78
nicky.
animesuki

xrick, I don't want it 'slapped all into your face", I specifically said one or two setting related dynamics to be explored. That really shouldn't even need to be asked for in a story, it's a given. And, no, it wouldn't be a snoozefest; it would be awesome to appreciate a unique element the anime brings.

By the way, since it was mentioned to me above by zefyris: the chracters were not dug into in the slightest. All we learned was their names and where they live. And you can introduce characters without that being the only thing happeneing. Barely anything was memorable from that episode. Besides, in such a setting, the viewer is left wondering what the heck is going on and cannot even focus on the nonsense dialogue and character antics. In a normal Earth setting, yeah of course you don't need to address crap, but this time YOU DO.
Please differentiate this froma personal attack. I don't know what gives you the idea this was an assault against people who liked the first episode, but you're wrong.

There's nothing wrong with liking a bad series, as long as you can admit it is bad. I enjoy bad things; I do it all the time. I'm honest with myself.

Last edited by nicky.; 2017-04-12 at 18:14.
Old 2017-04-12, 20:51   Link #79
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
lol I didnt see any verbal attacks
But if you feel offended, then perhaps you shouldn't take part in a discussion where you ARE going to be criticized or called out if you talk about things beyond your understanding.

Not to mention you're already saying this is a bad series, but your arguments dont hold much water.

But that's still your opinion (you CAN dislike this series) but you'll need better arguments and points if you wish to have a civil discussion like you so desire.
Old 2017-04-12, 21:50   Link #80
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Unfortunately, it was not shown where the raw materials for their "island" civilizations are coming from,
This is not the core of the story, but why not just assume they are dug out of those little islands? As for why those silly islands float, darn it, this must be the millionth floating island story anyway (and I'm sure the "aliens have taken over our ground" crap is done a million times as well), and it is impossible to come up with a scientific explanation anyway, so why not just accept they float?

Quote:
nor how transportation of people and things work.
They did show you airships, did they?
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, light novel adaptation, post apocalyptic, science fiction, tragedy