AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-11, 00:47   Link #121
Esper 28
Akira

I watched the first episode last night and I'm a bit iffy. I just don't know if I can care about Ouri. I just felt like, the more story that was put on him, the less I found myself wanting to watch. However, Keisei and Makina had me completely sucked in. Whenever they were on screen, I wanted to watch. Ouri just didn't have that appeal, but hopefully, with time, that will change.

I'll be there for the second episode, for sure.
Esper 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 06:16   Link #122
Brack
The Mayor Of Awesome

I thought the first episode was far better made than the well trodden source material deserved.
Brack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 11:14   Link #123
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brack View Post
I thought the first episode was far better made than the well trodden source material deserved.
That was my feeling as well, I'm totally sold on the series but the premise is amazingly generic.

Still, the soundtrack is good, the animation is top-notch with the Gainax action style I love so much. I really like Keisei and Makina, and the world seems very solid. It does help that they look like they're about 20 instead of 14.

Ok, I'm not too fond of Oouri, but a least he's not as bad as the other characters in his cathegory. Saji anyone?
Ninjacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 12:22   Link #124
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I thought both eps 1 and 2 were good. The story worked, the animation was decent, the whole atmosphere worked for me. The writer who adapted the manga for anime was Aikawa Shou, who did FMA and Oh Edo Rocket, and may even have done Simoun, under a pseudonym.

The voice-acting is, shall we say, uneven. I often enjoy the work of amateur seiyuu, but not so much here. There are a number of film/TV actors in this show, it appears. The scene in the bar was painful, but the two leads have a chance to get better, I think. Fortunately, there are some pros in the background: Chiba Saeko, Fujiwara Keiji, Horie Yui.

And angela is terrific doing both the OP and ED.
Spoiler for ep2:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-10-11 at 16:08.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 13:15   Link #125
maplehurry

I dont like Ouri. He seems like a necrophilic when trying to peek at the face of that girl whom he knew is already dead..
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 14:02   Link #126
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I'm still wondering what Ouri is being setup for (hopefully a very big fall). That demon cat is hanging around him for a reason. I really like Kessei.
Yeah, they've done a rather good job making him quite likeable very quickly in just a few scenes.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 14:14   Link #127
LeoXiao
思想工作

This reminds me a lot of Claymore but with Mac10s. That will make me watch the rest.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 14:40   Link #128
Shadow Kira01

This anime is like a female Dante taking on hordes of zombies in a more creative manner.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 00:40   Link #129
Gin456

Yep,I am soul eater fan and I like it.
Gin456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 10:55   Link #130
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
This anime is like a female Dante taking on hordes of zombies in a more creative manner.
Good comparison
Old 2008-10-12, 15:09   Link #131
kron

So they just took the name and characters of the manga and made it a 99% original story. Despite nice animation and music (at least characters look better than manga), I'm really disappointed with the story and the over the top shikabane in ep 1 and 2... hold on, they are more like monsters than shikabane from the beginning of the manga.
kron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 16:00   Link #132
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kron View Post
So they just took the name and characters of the manga and made it a 99% original story.
Not really 99%, i mean they're keeping the basic story, just changing how the beginning starts and making Ouri a main character.
Old 2008-10-12, 20:41   Link #133
NakedAngelX

Ep 2

Spoiler for Ep 2:

Was my 2nd most anticipated show of the fall release, now losing interest in it...
Old 2008-10-13, 08:56   Link #134
solomon

I tried this again first ep 1 and then ep 2. I realized theres really no reason I shouldn't enjoy this when I enjoy Bleach and One Piece everyonce in a while.

I basically let the mood and style work it's magic cause that's what really makes the story work for me, plus I'd be lying if I wasn't in it just for some crazy good animation as per the OP

oh yea, angela rox as usual.

Hmm, I've heard in this thread that they are deviating from the orignal source material, anyone know how much? Actually I don't think that's sacreligious in and of itself if you have a great Head Writer, especially like Shou Aikawa who worked wonderfully in the "reimagining" of FullMetal Alchemist, plus if the show is fairly generic shonen on it's own I think it would be rather interesting to have an actually retooling of the story. Of course I haven't seen the original source material so....

Last edited by solomon; 2008-10-13 at 09:12.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 14:26   Link #135
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'm loving Beautiful fighter more and more everytime i listen to it. The OP animation fits it perfectly.

The only thing that's bugging me in this adaptation compared to the manga is how Makina keeps on getting the hell beaten out of her by doing rookie mistakes. Yes i know this the story has started differently compared to the manga, though you'd think they'd keep the way she just kicks so much arse in the manga in the adaptation.

Also they haven't mentioned why the Shikabane Hime fight, though there's still time for that.
Old 2008-10-14, 16:23   Link #136
DangerMouse

As someone not familiar with the manga, I can see why they might have established her both kicking ass and getting the hell beaten out of her to show off what she can take, however I'm in agreement, going forwards I'd really like to see her start kicking more ass and spending less time on the ground due to those rookie mistakes, they've more than established what she can take for people like me who were unfamiliar with the series, now I'd like to see her do some more cool ass-kicking that we've seen way too short bursts of, which is supposed to be one of the draws of the franchise.

Since I don't know the manga, does she tend to blow through more opponents in cool ways right away in the manga? Atleast until she goes up against any reoccurring villains or anything ofcourse. I'd love to see a longer fight soon with more of that in the style and camera angles they've used to "film" some of her short bursts of cool moments so far.

The imagery in the OP, not to mention the perfect meshing of Beautiful Fighter with it, still has me hyped for where this show can go if they don't get bogged down in monster-of-the-week which the OP gives me hope they don't intend to do, with all those important characters thrown around, and they've done a real nice job establishing the atmosphere that can support a lot of meat despite the rather by-the-book premise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Hmm, I've heard in this thread that they are deviating from the orignal source material, anyone know how much? Actually I don't think that's sacreligious in and of itself if you have a great Head Writer, especially like Shou Aikawa who worked wonderfully in the "reimagining" of FullMetal Alchemist, plus if the show is fairly generic shonen on it's own I think it would be rather interesting to have an actually retooling of the story. Of course I haven't seen the original source material so....
That's a good point. I tend to follow anime closer than manga for the most part so I didn't find out until a little later on that that was the case which really drove home for me how strong and well focused the "reimaging" was and how it kept to the strengths and feel of the material and didn't pull any punches. So like you I definitely feel that even if they are diverging from the source material Shou Aikawa can definitely give us a really strong story with this if they really do want to put the work into this show.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2008-10-14 at 23:52.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 05:03   Link #137
kamikazex

episode 2 seriously creeped me out.....god damn that little girl..........and the way they drew it CREEPY!!!

Last edited by kamikazex; 2008-10-15 at 05:46.
kamikazex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 11:51   Link #138
Megrim27

I have to admit, despite, as someone said, the well trodden source material, I do like this show. However, once, just once, I would like to see the monster slaying heroes have to be undead old men, or maybe undead middle aged shopkeepers, rather than undead young schoolgirls. Would be different at least
Megrim27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 13:18   Link #139
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Yes episode 2 was good but at the same time very disturbing O_O school children !...thats just sick and why does she always get her ass handed to her in every fight !
Old 2008-10-15, 23:04   Link #140
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

*scratches head*
Trying to find something good to say about this episode...

Spoiler for ep3:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, gainax, horror, shounen