AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-02-16, 14:02   Link #21
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
True, but it's still fairly unbalanced. Touma probably gives one punch for every 10 he receives.
Did you not watch his "fight" with Misaka during Railgun, which she didn't manage to really hurt him at all where he dodged, or blocked all of her moves, and ended with her being scared of being hit by Touma because her plan failed?

Though on the other hand Kanzaki beat really beat up Touma badly, but then I again I am pretty sure picking a fight with anyone who uses magic, and 2 meter katana is a bad idea in the first place .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 19:27   Link #22
Asuras
Dictadere~!

What is it?: Unnecessary Fan Service

Worst offenders: I really don't feel like searching my recently concussion-ed head for specifics, but I can say, any anime that isn't centered around ecchi that throws shit out there expecting it to be funny. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not laughing. Or getting a boner.

Notable exceptions: You can excuse anime such as harem, since a large proportion of its plot is devoted to ecchi and fan service. I really don't care when they do it, but when I want a straight story and action, random panties and clothing dampening just doesn't hit it with me.

Variants: There's funny, and then there's the pointless. I rarely see the former.

What makes it popular: It sells. People want to see their favorite female being humiliated or oblivious to her apparent cuteness or lack of dignity.

Which brings me to another peeve: female manipulation. Even male manipulation! But that's for another time.

Guys want to rage, and girls... What do they want? Anyways...
Put simply; sex sells.

Reason that I hated it: I honestly don't find 99% of all fan-service/ecchi moments even remotely funny. It's in the way, unnecessary, and forces me to hide my iPhone from prying parental eyes whenever I just want my daily anime fix.

Does the hate really worth it?: Well, if we go by personal opinion, of course it is. Freaking perverted Japanese!
Old 2011-02-16, 20:10   Link #23
Taufiq91

What is it?: Psycho-lesbian characters

Worst offenders: Toaru Majutsu index/Railgun & Baka To Test

Notable exceptions: Um, Azumanga Daioh?

Variants: Female characters who would beat up men just to be with the girl they love, disturbingly

What makes it popular: The popularity of Tsundere culture & LGBT lifestyle. "Hey, she makes herself look like she hates men, so she must have a lesbian following, right?"

Reason that I hated it: They're annoying, irritating and anti-climatic. Oh, and It's HOMOPHOBIC!

Does the hate really worth it?: Yes. Not only is it homophobic, it gives an impression that all lesbians are psychos who prey on friends with dishonesty. In my opinion, Characters like Kuroko from Railgun and Miharu from baka To Test are giving lesbians in Japan a bad name, and it's a step backwards from positive portrayal of LGBT characters in anime, especially for those meant towards the straight otaku market.
Old 2011-02-16, 21:00   Link #24
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
Does the hate really worth it?: Yes. Not only is it homophobic, it gives an impression that all lesbians are psychos who prey on friends with dishonesty.
Agree 100%. Special case of this: the predatory surprise-boob-grab-from-behind, which shows up way too often in both anime and manga (even manga that should know better, like some of the Comic Yuri Hime stories). Nice one guys, let's portray all gay girls as wannabe rapists...

From what I've heard yaoi doesn't really have this problem, at least not to such an extent. So maybe we can add sexism to the charge of homophobia while we're at it.
Old 2011-02-17, 09:10   Link #25
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

@Taufiq91: I already hate both yaoi and yuri genre as I discovered that both of them are nothing more than just fapping material for straight people, both men and women. So far I never encountered any yaoi fangirls or yuri fanboys who actually looking for "emotional and realistic" portrayals of gays and lesbians.

Back to topic...The complete aversion of the OP...

What is it?: Girls and women who loves to cook only to be look cute and sexy in the eyes of men. In other words, "moe" factor.

Worst offenders: Magikano, Sister Princess, K-On!, Yosuga no Sora(yes even one of my favorite shows included).

Notable exceptions: Probably none. In Yumeiro Patissire the lead girl learn baking cakes and desserts professionally, not to look cute while lots of fans find her cute doing it. In Yakitate Japan!! one of the anti-heroine(and later protagonist) wears bikini to distract one of the protagonist. While it may considered sexist but its actually an important plot element.

Variants: Girls and women who can't do nothing but cook. Kasumi from Ranma 1/2 is the best example.

What makes it popular: Ahhh the sexism. There's nothing better seeing your beautiful girlfriend or wife smiling at you in dining room with a roasted turkey and grilled salmon on the dinner table after hard day working even though its not Christmas or Thanksgiving Day.

Reason I hated it: Again the sexism. It just as annoying as the opposite which I already mentioned earlier. Both men and women are as just as guilty to each other when it comes to this issue. Both wanted some sort of sex symbols. Okay people, cooking is for survival, profession and something to tie the family bond. Not something to look cute and sexy.

Does the hate really worth it?: Absolutely yes. I wish I can see more characters who are good at cooking and only do so to fill his or her empty stomachs, not as sex symbol.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-17, 14:22   Link #26
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
OMG hate. XD

Even Kuro from KNJ annoys me.....she's such a bitch. I don't hate her but it's like "....um, you could be a LITTLE nicer, you know?" lol

But the character who really started causing my hate was um....

Spoiler for Do not click if you're a huge yuri fan.:

Quote:
XD That little one who crushes on Sakaki....she is SO cute. More yuri girls should really be like her, imho.

Spoiler for "Aww cute. XD:

Last edited by Chiibi; 2011-02-17 at 14:43.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-17, 14:30   Link #27
SoulStar
Biscuit-Eating Taco Droid

What is it?: OMG HE'S BEHIND YOU

Worst offenders: DBZ is one, like, OMG FRIEZA'S BEHIND YOU!!!ADEHSHIHGIW!

Notable exceptions: Umm...can't think of any at the moment

Variants: I guess in like ninja shows, it could be all, OMG A ...... Log....is behind you........AND NOW HE'S BEHIND YOU, OMG!!!11

What makes it popular: It's just a common cliche of fighting anime

Reason that I hated it: It's so predictable, I could be watching a fighting anime for the first time and predict the moment this happens before it even does

Does the hate really worth it?: Not entirely, it's just a pet peeve of mine and probably someone else's too.

sonicman1.deviantart.com My dA
youtube.com/user/shadxlox101 Youtube
SoulStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-17, 15:41   Link #28
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

National/ethnic stereotypes. Sometimes it can be played for laughs, and I usually detest PC, but the stereotypes of countries for characters is just tiresome to me. American - blue eyed blond with big boobs (if female). Don't even get me started on black characters. British - invariably a snooty aristocrat. German - militaristic. Chinese - cheongsam, double bun "ox horn" hairstyle, will speak in stilted Japanese, some sort of "Chinese-style" music will play when they appear. At least Chinese characters wearing the Mao suit seems to have faded from modern anime.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-17, 16:40   Link #29
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

@Kameruka, I am starting to think you just haves something againist cooking in general . Also just wondering what girl would say from K-On is this applied to, as the only one who was shown to regularly cook would be Yui's younger sister, Ui.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91

Worst offenders: Toaru Majutsu index/Railgun & Baka To Test

Variants: Female characters who would beat up men just to be with the girl they love, disturbingly

What makes it popular: The popularity of Tsundere culture & LGBT lifestyle. "Hey, she makes herself look like she hates men, so she must have a lesbian following, right?"

Reason that I hated it: They're annoying, irritating and anti-climatic. Oh, and It's HOMOPHOBIC!

Does the hate really worth it?: Yes. Not only is it homophobic, it gives an impression that all lesbians are psychos who prey on friends with dishonesty. In my opinion, Characters like Kuroko from Railgun and Miharu from baka To Test are giving lesbians in Japan a bad name, and it's a step backwards from positive portrayal of LGBT characters in anime, especially for those meant towards the straight otaku market.
I dunno I have to disagree some as I didn't find Kuroko to be annoying, offensive, or irritating at all and I am a very large supporter of LGBT. In fact her overly-dramatic reactions, reasons, and plans were frankly hilarious to me, without her amusing personality I don't think I would have enjoyed Railgun nearly as much .

Also a lesbian gone "Psycho" can be done for much more serious and meaningful reasons, such as in my opinion Chikane from KnM, which was due to her realizing she had killed her lover in their past lives againist her will, and she forced to either kill her lover again, get her lover to kill her, or let the world end, so I think that's pretty legitimate grounds for having a character go "psycho".

/On Topic now:
What is it?: A character "leaving, or moving away" except they don't

Worst offenders: Sora no Woto having a character leave for "political marriage" yet only to return thru a plot excuse annoyed me greatly, Shakugan no Shana this one is here because Shana AND Yuuji both planned to move away/leave multiple times yet stayed in the city thru the whole series, Ore no Imouto see episode 12.

Notable exceptions: Kobato. exempted because it wasn't something Kobato was planning to do rather happened because of something out of her againist her will[and I don't mean job/parents/family/etc] and was well done and foreshadowed.

Variants: Character leaving "forever", only to be gone briefly and then reappear back in the series there after.

What makes it popular: It's easy drama for the writers to make I suppose .

Reason that I hated it: It's just played for drama ussually to make the view worry that the character make actually be gone, when they just stay where they were in the end, so the drama was for nothing.

Does the hate really worth it?: Considering how much it's used, I'd like to say yes since it results in a stall/filler to the series for actual plot or development ussually.
MAL

Last edited by Kotohono; 2011-02-17 at 19:02.
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 09:27   Link #30
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Back to topic...The complete aversion of the OP...

What is it?: Girls and women who loves to cook only to be look cute and sexy in the eyes of men. In other words, "moe" factor.

Worst offenders: Magikano, Sister Princess, K-On!, Yosuga no Sora(yes even one of my favorite shows included).

Notable exceptions: Probably none. In Yumeiro Patissire the lead girl learn baking cakes and desserts professionally, not to look cute while lots of fans find her cute doing it. In Yakitate Japan!! one of the anti-heroine(and later protagonist) wears bikini to distract one of the protagonist. While it may considered sexist but its actually an important plot element.

Variants: Girls and women who can't do nothing but cook. Kasumi from Ranma 1/2 is the best example.

What makes it popular: Ahhh the sexism. There's nothing better seeing your beautiful girlfriend or wife smiling at you in dining room with a roasted turkey and grilled salmon on the dinner table after hard day working even though its not Christmas or Thanksgiving Day.

Reason I hated it: Again the sexism. It just as annoying as the opposite which I already mentioned earlier. Both men and women are as just as guilty to each other when it comes to this issue. Both wanted some sort of sex symbols. Okay people, cooking is for survival, profession and something to tie the family bond. Not something to look cute and sexy.

Does the hate really worth it?: Absolutely yes. I wish I can see more characters who are good at cooking and only do so to fill his or her empty stomachs, not as sex symbol.
I very much disagree with this post. There is nothing fundamentally sexist about a character who can cook well and enjoys cooking, whether they are male or female. You are looking at a very positive trait in an overly negative viewpoint. A woman in anime isn't "taking a step back in feminism" for enjoying to cook, even if it is for a guy she likes. If anything, it is as feminist as ever for her since she cooks and enjoys cooking out of her own decision. Furthermore, I don't think there is anything wrong or sexist about a guy liking a girl who can cook. The ability to cook well is a valuable quality for anyone regardless of gender and you can't blame anyone for seeking out that quality.

Now your earlier post about girls who CAN'T cook I agree with. It plays on the much outdated assumption that girls, especially feminine ones, are supposed to be good at cooking and then plays a "twist" that, oh the shock(!), she can't! Even worse is how greatly exaggerated this "bad cooking" trick can get, with each new example trying to outdo the earlier ones to ridiculous and most importantly unfunny boundaries. Like people passing out or feeling sick from eating the food and torturing themselves as they attempt to not offend the cook (Bakatest and Clannad, I'm looking at you). Or the character shown turning the kitchen into some horror dungeon with fire, ash and spilled food everywhere in their attempt to brew an edible concoction (Shakugan no Shana and ef: a tale of memories). It's not funny, it's just tragic.

To contribute my own peeve:

What is it?: The BOING sound when breasts bounce or touch something.

Worst offenders: Anime scenes that incorporate this cliche tend to be easily forgotten, but I remember Himeji Mizuki's audible boobs from Bakatest and Yoko's from Gurren Lagann.

Notable exceptions: Most anime with bouncing breasts actually. But the ones that feature it stick out badly.

What makes it popular: Writers who think the audience is dozing off need to get the audience to pay attention to the moving mammaries whether they want to or not. In other words, "Look, fanservice! By the way, you're an idiot for not noticing before so I added sound effects."

Reason that I hate it: It's probably some combination between the fact that it is completely pointless and my own OCD reminding me that breasts simply don't sound like that. For the former, do we really need that sound? Why can't we just witness the sight in its visual glory alone? For the latter, yeah, breasts hardly make any sound near to that and we know it. It even detracts from the fanservice because I'm paying too much attention to that blasted implausible sound effect to appreciate the breasts.

Is the hate really worth it?: Probably not, as I said earlier part of this peeve is due to my personal refusal to suspend my disbelief in the face of such a trivial sound effect. But it's not entirely unfounded, as its use tends to make the situation feel artificial and plastic.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 11:52   Link #31
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I very much disagree with this post. There is nothing fundamentally sexist about a character who can cook well and enjoys cooking, whether they are male or female. You are looking at a very positive trait in an overly negative viewpoint. A woman in anime isn't "taking a step back in feminism" for enjoying to cook, even if it is for a guy she likes. If anything, it is as feminist as ever for her since she cooks and enjoys cooking out of her own decision. Furthermore, I don't think there is anything wrong or sexist about a guy liking a girl who can cook. The ability to cook well is a valuable quality for anyone regardless of gender and you can't blame anyone for seeking out that quality.

Now your earlier post about girls who CAN'T cook I agree with. It plays on the much outdated assumption that girls, especially feminine ones, are supposed to be good at cooking and then plays a "twist" that, oh the shock(!), she can't! Even worse is how greatly exaggerated this "bad cooking" trick can get, with each new example trying to outdo the earlier ones to ridiculous and most importantly unfunny boundaries. Like people passing out or feeling sick from eating the food and torturing themselves as they attempt to not offend the cook (Bakatest and Clannad, I'm looking at you). Or the character shown turning the kitchen into some horror dungeon with fire, ash and spilled food everywhere in their attempt to brew an edible concoction (Shakugan no Shana and ef: a tale of memories). It's not funny, it's just tragic.

Worst offenders: Anime scenes that incorporate this cliche tend to be easily forgotten, but I remember Himeji Mizuki's audible boobs from Bakatest and Yoko's from Gurren Lagann.

Notable exceptions: Most anime with bouncing breasts actually. But the ones that feature it stick out badly.

What makes it popular: Writers who think the audience is dozing off need to get the audience to pay attention to the moving mammaries whether they want to or not. In other words, "Look, fanservice! By the way, you're an idiot for not noticing before so I added sound effects."

Reason that I hate it: It's probably some combination between the fact that it is completely pointless and my own OCD reminding me that breasts simply don't sound like that. For the former, do we really need that sound? Why can't we just witness the sight in its visual glory alone? For the latter, yeah, breasts hardly make any sound near to that and we know it. It even detracts from the fanservice because I'm paying too much attention to that blasted implausible sound effect to appreciate the breasts.

Is the hate really worth it?: Probably not, as I said earlier part of this peeve is due to my personal refusal to suspend my disbelief in the face of such a trivial sound effect. But it's not entirely unfounded, as its use tends to make the situation feel artificial and plastic.
Wait, why is this your pet peeve and yet you have a Gunbuster theme going on? I'm genuinely curious.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 14:40   Link #32
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

Remember, it was the Japanese that invented BOOB PHYSICS for their video games....
Old 2011-02-18, 19:47   Link #33
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Wait, why is this your pet peeve and yet you have a Gunbuster theme going on? I'm genuinely curious.
It seems you misunderstood the exact cliche I was whining about.

Without that BOING sound bouncing breasts alone are mostly fine. I don't recall the sound effect being used in Gunbuster. According to the staff, the 'Gainaxing' in Gunbuster was not just there for fanservice but part of an effort to make the characters seem more alive and animated. And the cliche I mentioned doesn't automatically discredit an anime anway as Gurren Lagann is one of my top anime.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 19:55   Link #34
animeboy12

Quote:
It seems you misunderstood the exact cliche I was whining about.

Without that BOING sound bouncing breasts alone are mostly fine. I don't recall the sound effect being used in Gunbuster. According to the staff, the 'Gainaxing' in Gunbuster was not just there for fanservice but part of an effort to make the characters seem more alive and animated. And the cliche I mentioned doesn't automatically discredit an anime anway as Gurren Lagann is one of my top anime.

The weird part is that the anime series don't use the boing sound often have far, far better animated breasts.
animeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 20:59   Link #35
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
British - invariably a snooty aristocrat.
I'm British and I love the fact they show us in anime this way. Especially since all the best ojou-sama characters are always British. Infact, I'd say it's a nice stereotype. Japan actually loves British culture suprisingly enough, maybe even more so than American culture.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 04:51   Link #36
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
What is it?
Harem plot that just orbits male lead stupidity.
Worst Offenders?
Sadly, it has become the de facto definition of a harem anime. So, yeah everything under the sun. Series like IS are just pushing it to the next frontier, to the point the main protagonist almost looks gay. Actually, maybe if he was officially gay it would probably make for more interesting plot.
What makes it popular?
Uh… it's not really popular; just cheap. Really cheap! It's more of a popular technique, just like filler is popular technique.
Reasons I hate it?
Because even a corny explanation is better. Because the crappy male lead, typically implies even crappier backplot — and that's if they don't just have X is classmate, Y is childhood friend, etc. Because female leads in this environment simply can't be anything more then one of the standard bad stereotypes we've all seen a 1000 times. Because, shit, you know he either won't end up with any of them, or pick the worst one that just happens to look pretty (on paper), never the caring one, never the deserving one, never the skilled one, never the charming one, no-no always has to be the one with the shitty attitude and problems (how else are they gonna emphasize how retarded he is). Because it's overused, and tends to creep into what should be technically "serious stories" — mind you I'm not against series like IS that are designed to be watched with your brain off, but still.
I wanted to reply to this thread.. but figures out I need to read few posts earlier.

I dont think I need now
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 10:52   Link #37
Genten
has a custom user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Nice thread

Reason that I hate it: I'm just a long hair fanatic. If you have gorgeous hair, DON'T EFFING RUIN IT!! The haircut always looks so FUGLY!!!
I completely disagree. Togame looked 100x sexier with short hair.. I tend to like short hair better myself, though, so I'm probably biased.

A thread about cliches I hate? I must. . . resist. . . making a ten page long post.

What is it?: Tsundere chicks.

Worst Offenders: Oh, let me see. . . just about every romance anime ever.

Notable Exceptions: Magikano, My Bride is a Mermaid, and ToraDora! are all very entertaining series while including a tsundere.

What makes it popular: I honestly have no idea. Is the idea of a girl who will beat you up but love you underneath all of that really that sexy? Guess you can hold her hand after she puts you in the ER.

Reasons that I hate it: It's way too overused. Tsunderes are so common now a days that they revert to being one note characters with tsundere being their only distinguishing trait. Tsunderes are only fun to watch if they evolve past that point.

Is the hate really worth it? Yes and no. Overused and tired cliches are a bad thing, and I really hate them, but plenty of people like tsunderes. I don't want to get rid of them entirely but want to see more tsunderes with deeper characterization. Tropes and cliches are only as bad as you write them.
Old 2011-02-19, 20:53   Link #38
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genten View Post
I completely disagree. Togame looked 100x sexier with short hair.
Well, there are always exceptions. I probably shouldn't have said "always"...
Old 2011-02-20, 18:11   Link #39
Genten
has a custom user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Well, there are always exceptions. I probably shouldn't have said "always"...
Just as long as you have realized the error of your ways
Old 2011-02-21, 15:15   Link #40
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quickly realizing the cliche that every non-main character/villain soldier from any militaristic organization/society is a bumbling good-for-nothing loser without an aim or balls is getting over-used and quite annoying.

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad