AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kill La Kill

Notices

View Poll Results: Kill La Kill - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 17 30.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 42.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 10.71%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 8.93%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.79%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.79%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.79%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-04-03, 23:32   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Kill La Kill - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire episodes of Kill La Kill ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive footage etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • Voice Acting
  • Which kind of footage (Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive) you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Soundtrack: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Enjoyment: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun
Old 2014-04-04, 03:31   Link #2
Breimoon

It was a really nice anime but in no way it is saving anime. The ost used in the anime is epic(though most of the full versions are ruined) but you can see the budget lack in both animation and in scenario writing(too many open plots and plot holes, even important ones). Hope the movie will fix most of the problems.
Old 2014-04-04, 05:30   Link #3
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

I gave it a 9 because it wasn't as perfect as anime like Puella Magi Madoka Magica or Paranoia Agent. Still, it was mighty good. Excellent use of visuals, music, voice acting... all technical aspects were sky high (except for animation fluidity, but they made up so well for that it actually turned into a plus into my eyes!). The plot could have used a bit more planning though - it was nice but had they put some care into fitting every detail better and make it work as a whole without incoherences it would have made this anime simply perfect. Break up of my grades:

Animation Quality: 9
Voice Actors: 10
Script: 8
Soundtrack: 10
Editing: 10
Enjoyment: 10
Emotional Involvement: 8

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Old 2014-04-05, 21:02   Link #4
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I wouldn't say it saved anime....but it's one of the few seriously entertaining series in some time.
Old 2014-04-06, 05:50   Link #5
ZODDGUTS

Did not live up to the hype. It's worse than Gurren in every way, animation, story, characters, villains etc. It's started off with pretty good but but the weak story started to really show. Overall it was decent to good but never consistently good. 7.5/10 from me. The latest season of Ippo was more tense and hype with it's fight scenes, it was a better action anime to watch from last season.
Old 2014-04-06, 09:09   Link #6
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Kill La Kill. Last Thoughts

As of today, I concluded Kill La Kill bringing to an end my list of titles for the 2013 anime autumn season.

One precise thing that drew me closer to take on this show was a user at the forum posting Ryuko donning Senketsu as his or her avatar, at that moment I want to know about said anime character, and that's why I end up with Kill La Kill. However, I originally intended to watch Strike the Blood instead but circumstances forced to replace the latter show with the former.

In my opinion, Kill La Kill tastes better to the full when one doesn't substract his or her viewing experience trying to analyze it. The nonsensical stuff that happens is integrated to the core of the story, and it's sort of either a metaphorical or literal manifestation of what all the characters are doing and feeling, in my humble opinion.

I'm not going to deny that at some point either Satsuki's long-winded speeches about her resolve or Ryuko's overwhelming whining irked me, and what to say about Mako's utter stupidity that fell flat on me at times. But, I guess once all three of them grew and maxed out to reach a sort of superheroine milestone, then a spectator like me can do nothing but to cheer them on from the sidelines. Conversely, Ragyo and Nui's both obsession and lecturing, particularly towards the end of the series, got me fed up, and my wishes got realized once Ryuko, Satsuki, and the rest of all characters shut them up for good.

Still, I'm left to ponder that at the end even if Ragyo lost the war, nevertheless, she managed to score a moral victory of sorts agains her daughters. According to her words, the rest of the Life Fibers are scattered in other parts of the cosmos, and I cannot buy it now that the Origin Life Fiber that got destroyed was unique. It could very well mean that there's more than one Original Life Fiber, and its bidding its time for a second coming to Earth.
For the time being, I'm letting everyone and those three girls enjoying their date together and put on whatever clothes they wish to wear.

As for Senketsu, well if the writers wanted him to die in a blaze of glorious tragedy, then I would have liked sacrificing himself to destroy Ragyo while sending Ryuko off to Earth at the same time. Still, one can have high hopes if a feature-length film is done for this show that adds new and never-before-seen footage.

To conclude the ride was cooler with all that array of nonsensical characters doing their stuff onscreen and maturing in funny or dramatic ways possible. As for the soundtrack, Hiroyuki Sawano knows how to add punch with his compositions.

Farewell to this thread for the time being, since I'll be returning to do coverage on the OVA episode that's going to get released in a few months.
Old 2014-04-06, 19:13   Link #7
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Did not live up to the hype. It's worse than Gurren in every way, animation, story, characters, villains etc.
The second thing you said is exactly why it could never live up to the first thing you said.

Every time a new episode aired there were constant comments about how "it's not Gurren, therefore it's inferior". To be honest, I never thought Gurren lived up to the hype either. It was certainly a great ride all the way through, but nostalgia tends to nix the parts of the anime that weren't so great when you look back on it.

That's okay though! I'm not here to say having a Gurren > KLK opinion is wrong. I just....wish the show didn't have to sit in its shadow.

Personally I really liked KLK, it was one of the few shows I actually wanted to watch every week. There's a lot to not like, depending on your pet peeves, I guess. But I look at the whole package. Can I come away from the show happy that I invested the time into it? Absolutely, yes. Would I repeat view it? Actually, yeah. The design of the arcs makes repeat views surprisingly bite sized.

What did I not like? Honestly the only thing that bothered me was Ragyo's unexplained motivations for her turn to villainy. Other than that, basic directing issues with pacing and characterization. I wish they had spent a few more episodes earlier on fleshing out the characters more.

All that said, I found the art/animation pretty solid. When I saw people complaining it was low budget I really couldn't see it personally, minus an episode or two. Yeah, some stuff is recycled or still framed, but because of the animation style it just never bothered me much.

The music and sound are fantastic, especially in regards to theme music. You know when a character is front and center because the music kicks in and it's freaking great! You can tell it gets stuck in your head when you're visiting random non-anime sites and bam, people are referencing the music and showing images/gifs like Gamagoori's impossible sizes. Voice acting gets a nod too. Nui, for example, switches between nice and psycho perfectly. And Ragyo's VA really nails the part, especially with the creepy laughs and sexual undertones. For the most part the cast is serviceable, but there's some well delivered lines sprinkled throughout the show.

Speaking of which, despite the characterization issues, I found the cast quite endearing. It's great to see shows actually utilize their large cast, instead of forgetting they exist halfway through. Everyone played an important part and the show wraps up with a great team effort where everyone gets a chance to shine.

The story itself though? Hmm. I like that it took the risk of being completely bonkers. Alien clothing? Yup, Japan. But it's also the biggest "hard to swallow" part of the whole thing, including the ridiculous uniforms and the scandalous designs of Senketsu and Junketsu (once transformed at least). Simply put, there is a lot of sexual imagery in the show that makes it hard to recommend to anyone who is not already sold on anime to begin with.

I do like the irony of how much nudity there is in a show about clothing, though.

Anyway, for Triggers first full blown series, it was pretty good, and worth a watch if for nothing but the spectacle of it all. However if you're trying to compare it to Gurren, or the type of person that focuses really hard on something you don't like, this probably won't be as fun to watch.

That's my two cents. Now I'm poor like Mako.

I look forward to their next show!
Old 2014-04-06, 19:21   Link #8
Death Usagi
Banned

Animation Quality: 10/10

Absolutely awesome. Kill La Kill was designed to look like an old style anime, but this was done to their advantage, which made things really comical and very well done.

Voice Actors: 10/10
Some voice actors, I was not familiar with them, but they did a fantastic job on voicing each characters. It was terrific.

Script: 10/10
It was a very good story. It really gave me the same kind of feeling when I watched TTGL, where the story begins in a comedic way then goes into the serious route. The second half of the arc was kind of odd but it was still very epic.

Soundtrack: 10/10
As expected of the creator of Gundam Unicorn and Shingeki no Kyojin's OST. The soundtrack is very enjoyable and gives the really funny feelings when you listen to them.

Editing: 10/10
Well, like I said above. Kill la Kill was made to look like an old anime which was an advantage. But really I don't really get what Editing is about, but anyhow Kill la Kill was very solid.

Enjoyment: 10/10
Oh god, don't get me started. Kill la Kill was the anime that made my heart pound as Thursdays approached. I couldn't wait for the next upcoming episodes. The first half of the arc was as I have said, very hilarious and funny while also having the serious side in them. Mako may be the most funniest character I may have ever seen in my anime watching history. Her "hallelujah" moments are just too hilarious and even the Elite Fours were very funny. Not to mention the Mankanshoku family were also part of the comedy.

Emotional Involvement: 10/10
Lots of emotional involvement here as Ryuuko was on her quest to find out her father's killer and then more hidden secrets come out, bringing a lot of emotional factors for Ryuuko. We see her going into the downfall route several times but thanks to Mako and then later Satsuki and the Elite Four, we get to see her move into the right direction.

Average: 10/10

Well done Trigger. I hope I get to see your next work soon! Kill La Kill was truly a masterpiece!
Old 2014-04-11, 17:23   Link #9
Im Otaku
Siscon 愛

Just gonna say it now, Kill la Kill was pretty much a girl thats half cloth trying to find a missing half of giant scissors, not really my type of anime.
Old 2014-04-11, 20:39   Link #10
Allium
Keep on keeping on

Despite the fact that I found the first few episodes formulaic, KLK became one of the shows I looked forward to every week. The fights and action, coupled with the story's fast pacing, cartoon-like art style, the Hiroyuki Sawano soundtrack and the colourful cast of characters are the highlights of the anime. It came to a stage when I thought that there was no point comparing it to TTGL, because KLK's good enough to stand on its own (and plus they are two very different shows). Not outstanding, but entertaining enough, so overall a 7/10 from me.
Old 2014-11-10, 19:47   Link #11
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

Finished all.

Was fun, definitely awesome and emotional in many different ways. The comparison to Gurren Lagann was correct, although as a male I felt GL's story closer to heart.

Either way, a very good anime for it's purpose, but the hype for it was FAR overblown, same as Shingeki no Kyoujin's last year.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

Old 2014-11-29, 06:59   Link #12
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

JUST FINISHED IT WOOHOO!!!

Oh, man, I missed out. Missing out is my specialty, and this time it served me well since it allowed me to avoid the hype and hype backlash. It's just me and an awesome anime and a dead forum to post my thoughts into thin air. Just what I needed.

My impressions:
  • The first half was a display of how entertaining an anime can be despite the nonsensical plot. Through effective use of the many other elements of animation -- such as background music, especially character theme music, active animation, loose lines, excellent voice acting, clever scripting and effective timing -- Kill la Kill truly got the art of pacing down right. When I talk about pacing and how some other throwaway mediocre anime just don't get it, this is an example of how to do it. How do you convince people to watch a story about a transfer student looking for her father's murderer in some desolate academy filled with cartoonish characters and mooks? How do you convince them that this is the most epic thing ever? The possibilities of the animation medium are endless; few anime series exploit them. Kill la Kill has a place among those proud few.
    -
  • Unlike the relatively straightforward first half, the twists and turns throughout the second half involved a much stronger plot and it just got better and better. My mouth was gaping wide throughout so many episodes the way not even Gurren Lagann made me do. BACKSTAB!! CRUCIFIED!!! SHOCKING REVEAL!!!! ROLE SWITCH!!!!!! MYBRAINEXPLODEDHELPCALL911
    -
  • Just like Gurren Lagann, however, the build up to the end was by far much MUCH better than the actual ending battle. At some point in the final battle the show broke a delicate balance, and I felt a strong cultural disconnect between me and the old school fans who would have protested that I just don't get it and I should go see that old hot-blooded mecha anime from 1985, newfag. [Alternatively, be 13; that helps too.] To me, the everybody-pitches-in moments and that galaxy-throwing bullshit (okay, here it's "just" super saiyan) were far too overblown. There were much better scripted, more intense, more suspenseful, and more entertaining battles throughout the series.
    -
  • I did love the absolute domination outfit.
    -
  • Ryuko's alright as a hot-blooded take-no-shit-from-no-one main character, but Satsuki stole the show. Charismatic, dominant, tyrannical, her first appearances carried disturbing undertones of personality cults and fascism even, but it is outright impossible for the audience to hate her or think of her as an evil, conniving villain. The more she was humanized and the plot moved along to reveal more of her motivations and actions, the more the audience came to love her. She was truly brilliant. Albeit, they overemphasized her newfound kindness after she had her major development. Where did my awkwardly fascist glorious leader go?
    -
  • I admit, though, Ryuko as villain was terrifyingly effective. She was all overpowering might, crazy eyes, villainous charisma, and ruthlessly hurtful taunts that just made the audience wanted to kill her. I wanted Satsuki to win that battle. so. bad.
    -
  • The two main villains were just as inspired as Satsuki, for the most part. Nui was created to be hated and she was incredible at the job, gods she made me practically homicidal when she first appeared, though I started to hate her less and less and like her more and more as the series went. In fact, she became a tragic character close to the end -- the third, forgotten, insane sister. Ragyo-sama was splendidly Maleficent, up to and including the creepy-hot incestuous molestations. Having the best character theme in the series helped.
    -
  • While Mako and her family served a very useful role at providing comedic relief (quite literally -- comedy is used often in this series to relieve tension at the right points to allow the audience to "breath"), as well as being the "heart" of Ryuko's conscience, I'm not nearly as enamored with her antics as apparently most people. Fortunately, Nui was there to put her down from time to time and prevent her from becoming Jar Jar Binks in my mind. When Mako tried to start her routine and Nui went "bitch you're starting to get on my nerves imma fucking cut you," I was like, YOU SAID IT GIRL!
    -
  • Nonon is love. Nonon is life. Nonon looks good in everything. Nonon even has a voice that grates at first yet somehow became absurdly sexy by the end. Band girls, man.
    -
  • Along the same lines, the Fantastic Four are fantastic, whether it's Viral, the fan-favorite Gamagori, or computer boy.
    -
  • I spent far too much time paying far too close attention to the teacher's handsome body and sparkly nipples. Good lookin' ~_~
    -
  • This series' choice of the customary endgame sacrifice character is a much less controversial one than Gurren Lagann's "fuck your canon that never happened" moment. Unfortunately, his passing was still not what such a hero deserved. It was as too quick, too out-of-the-left field as Gurren Lagann's so-called "twist."
    -
  • SHE SAID NEE-SAN!!!! I FORGIVE ALL.

TL;DR shit was intense. 10/10 would kiss Satsuki-sama's feet again.
Closed Thread