AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-20, 15:54   Link #1521
Ushio the Omega

Damn. It's a sales flop, I was so hoping it would do well.
Ushio the Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 17:38   Link #1522
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Limited Edition of vol one is doing better than Gundam AGE vol one.
Old 2012-03-20, 18:04   Link #1523
Ushio the Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The Limited Edition of vol one is doing better than Gundam AGE vol one.
So? AGE flopped hard.
Old 2012-03-20, 18:09   Link #1524
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushio the Omega View Post
Damn. It's a sales flop, I was so hoping it would do well.
I'm guessing the japanese fans just aren't buying into slow starts anymore. It's a shame cause the show has some serious old school charm that's severely missing as of late
Old 2012-03-20, 18:22   Link #1525
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I wasn't expecting it to do well actually. Its a geekfest and my main hope was for the reruns to bring us back to the days of TOS, but that's not very likely. Because, the main audience of MoP aren't Japan's biggest spenders...
Old 2012-03-20, 18:37   Link #1526
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I'm guessing the japanese fans just aren't buying into slow starts anymore. It's a shame cause the show has some serious old school charm that's severely missing as of late
Either that, or - they're just not sci-fi people.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 19:24   Link #1527
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Spaceship sci-fi (without mecha) is getting rarer and rarer. There just doesn't seem to be much interest in space travel or space opera anymore. The show that might show some sales would be Space Battleship Yamato 2199. But that is not certain either.

Though I question the sales listed. Limited Edition. What about the normal release? Does that come out later?

Also if one was packaging for sane reasons, the first five episodes would be one disc. Maybe two and then three, but two then four and remaining four is the usual pattern if they aren't doing two per disc only (which is horridly expensive and foolish).

Of course this sold better than Nichijou, and I liked that as well.
Old 2012-03-20, 20:16   Link #1528
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Its so sad that kids these days don't dream of final frontiers and exploration, but are fixed on tsundere boobs and pants...
Old 2012-03-20, 22:49   Link #1529
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Where are people getting sales numbers from?
Old 2012-03-20, 22:53   Link #1530
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

This thread I imagine:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...2&postcount=20
(Do not reply to that thread, there is another thread for replying someplace else)
Old 2012-03-20, 23:01   Link #1531
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
This thread I imagine:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...2&postcount=20
(Do not reply to that thread, there is another thread for replying someplace else)
Thanks.

So

Quote:
2012/03/07 *3,734 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Two episodes)
That's really not that bad,with the talk of flop I thought it was like 2500 or something.
Old 2012-03-21, 00:07   Link #1532
00Coyote

I've always though the pricing structure, and how they market and place anime DVD/BluRays is a horrible way to do business. The absurd price + low content of the discs narrows their customer base to a very small niche market.

It comes down to perceived value.

Take 'Ben-to' or 'Yuru Yuri' or 'Denpa Onna ....' all three of those shows I enjoyed immensely, I would love to see more of them (Yuru Yuri is getting a 2nd season) and I'd really like to support the companies who did all the work animating such fine shows ... but I didn't think they were spectacular enough to drop $500+shipping per show just to have the discs sitting on my shelf*

There are a whole lot of decent shows, a handful of good shows, and a few really spectacular ones, but how their pricing structure works, you have to be fanatical about a show to buy it, so I guess they end up turning away 80-90% of their potential customer base.

And they base their whole industry on this. I'm really surprised any anime gets made at all.

*To watch a BluRay, or a R2 DVD I have to beak the law, to use a product that I legally purchased. Not to mention the time/HD space/annoyance factor of ripping, de-DMRing, transcoding plus adding the subs in.... I have to shake my head at the Media Industry, and why they choose to treat their paying customers as criminals.

Ranting a bit more...

And the mostly dead US anime industry seems to pick the most mediocre shows to license, and then saddle the whole process with the expensive dub production, which usually ends up being underwhelming. I really want a Japanese producer to wake up one morning and realize *shock* If we lower the price on these discs, we'd sell a whole lot more, sure we'll make less per disc, but the volume sales will far surpass the measly returns we were getting. And, what if we included an English subtitle (since we already have it timed from Crunchyroll) for those crazy Gaijin who happen to like these shows. We don't have to cater to 'Mainstream' but having the subtitles on a reasonably priced disc greatly expands our potential customer base. Brilliant!

But alas, the world isn't that sane.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 00:27   Link #1533
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
I I really want a Japanese producer to wake up one morning and realize *shock* If we lower the price on these discs, we'd sell a whole lot more, sure we'll make less per disc, but the volume sales will far surpass the measly returns we were getting. And, what if we included an English subtitle (since we already have it timed from Crunchyroll) for those crazy Gaijin who happen to like these shows. We don't have to cater to 'Mainstream' but having the subtitles on a reasonably priced disc greatly expands our potential customer base. Brilliant!
While some, like Aniplex, are adding subs this for certain shows (Fate/Zero comes to mind), they're not lowering the prices, as they're artificially high. There's also the resident fear of reverse import if a show can be licensed elswhere. Sadly I don't see the trend changing at all. The recent seasons have shown quite a bit of material I'm interested in, but the BD structure, more than pricing, is absolutely not worth it. That's a sad thing for Moretsu, because it was something I am really interested in.
Heck, I'm surprised the industry re-started doing more 2-cour shows, even if the trend seems to go the split route, given these kind of sales...
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 00:27   Link #1534
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

The world is never sane, which is why space princesses are still on the cards.
Old 2012-03-21, 01:49   Link #1535
encia

Quote:
Spaceship sci-fi (without mecha) is getting rarer and rarer. There just doesn't seem to be much interest in space travel or space opera anymore. The show that might show some sales would be Space Battleship Yamato 2199. But that is not certain either.
JJ Adam's Star Trek seems to be fine...

It would be nice to see Marika and co.(yacht club) to interact with boy's school yacht club counterpart....

I find Mouretsu Pirates's technobabble bias to be remisant to Star Trek's franchise killers e.g. Voyager and Enterprise.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 03:02   Link #1536
Ushio the Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Thanks.

So

That's really not that bad,with the talk of flop I thought it was like 2500 or something.
It is really bad a 13 episode tv series is released over 7 disc's while a 2 cour is released over 13 but Mouretsu Pirates is a 7 disc series so has to sell twice as much to break even and the first volume was very cheap and yet still did poorly.

I get my sales numbers here http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthrea...109291&page=36 there updated on tuesday's and thursday's.
Old 2012-03-21, 03:03   Link #1537
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
JJ Adam's Star Trek seems to be fine...

It would be nice to see Marika and co.(yacht club) to interact with boy's school yacht club counterpart....

I find Mouretsu Pirates's technobabble bias to be remisant to Star Trek's franchise killers e.g. Voyager and Enterprise.
However, that babble was really bad compared to the older pilot series like TOS and TNG. I felt that Marika’s was more grounded in realism, which did relate to TOS and TNG better. I suppose things were all newer back then too.

Either way, MoP’s heavy reliance on nerdgastic preamble will cause it to suffer, simply because people want action, they want it quick and fast. That’s why JJA’s phaser-heavy Trek managed to garner more interest than if it stuck to the old formula of discussions then a short-lived battle.
Old 2012-03-21, 04:37   Link #1538
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Either way, MoP’s heavy reliance on nerdgastic preamble will cause it to suffer, simply because people want action, they want it quick and fast. That’s why JJA’s phaser-heavy Trek managed to garner more interest than if it stuck to the old formula of discussions then a short-lived battle.
Unfortunately, people's tastes have changed. At the same time, Hollywood's current trend of relying on special effects as main selling points for its movies is actually hurting Hollywood. Dare I say, "Battleship" If you compare today's movies - with movies of yester-year - today's movies appear to be far far less creative.

As far as I'm concerned, this JJA rendition is garbage to me. Heck, I don't even remember what the heck happened in that movie. I suppose, you can label me as a "purist" in this regard. I say this without actually watching the Original series, and instead, watching the TOS 1980's movies with the same crew. Though, a couple of those movies flat out sucked too.

TNG has been a very huge favorite of mine.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 07:58   Link #1539
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Unfortunately, people's tastes have changed. At the same time, Hollywood's current trend of relying on special effects as main selling points for its movies is actually hurting Hollywood. Dare I say, "Battleship" If you compare today's movies - with movies of yester-year - today's movies appear to be far far less creative.

As far as I'm concerned, this JJA rendition is garbage to me. Heck, I don't even remember what the heck happened in that movie. I suppose, you can label me as a "purist" in this regard. I say this without actually watching the Original series, and instead, watching the TOS 1980's movies with the same crew. Though, a couple of those movies flat out sucked too.

TNG has been a very huge favorite of mine.
To me, JJA's version was trippy, but I still prefer TNG. But its not like I don't understand why kids these days just don't appreciate our art.
Old 2012-03-21, 08:04   Link #1540
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Its so sad that kids these days don't dream of final frontiers and exploration, but are fixed on tsundere boobs and pants...
It's not like kids are the ones buying (overpriced) anime. Mouretsu Pirates' lack of popularity has little to do with a generation gap.

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri