AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-09, 17:43   Link #1
Chrono Shark
Destroyer of Dreams

Send a message via ICQ to Chrono Shark
Trigun/maximum

i just picked up the first volume of the darkhorse manga Trigun by Yasuhiro Nightow

apparently the first two volumes will be highlighting the good parts of the anime and adding some scenes(selling for a good $14.95 a volume), after these two volumes it will roll right into trigun maximum.

so if you want to save money on buying the anime in book version when you want Maximum, dont buy Trigun #1 or #2...
Old 2003-11-10, 13:13   Link #2
Briareos

The Trigun manga was around before it was ever animated, so what you're seeing in volumes 1 & 2 is the source material for the anime (not the other way around). It seems that a lot of filler was added to Trigun when it was animated, since the manga doesn't meander frivolously like the anime does at first. Hopefully when the Trigun manga ends (it's still ongoing as far as I know), it won't be as abrupt as the anime version was.

Here's why the name of the manga changed:
AnimeNation - Ask John: How much Trigun manga is there?

I bought Dark Horse's version of Vol1 and I have to say I like it. Sure it's $15 dollars, but it's nearly 2 inches thick at 360 pages! Vol2 is going to be 344 pages. Certainly worth the money.
Old 2003-11-10, 15:53   Link #3
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briareos
The Trigun manga was around before it was ever animated, so what you're seeing in volumes 1 & 2 is the source material for the anime (not the other way around). It seems that a lot of filler was added to Trigun when it was animated, since the manga doesn't meander frivolously like the anime does at first. Hopefully when the Trigun manga ends (it's still ongoing as far as I know), it won't be as abrupt as the anime version was.

Here's why the name of the manga changed:
AnimeNation - Ask John: How much Trigun manga is there?

I bought Dark Horse's version of Vol1 and I have to say I like it. Sure it's $15 dollars, but it's nearly 2 inches thick at 360 pages! Vol2 is going to be 344 pages. Certainly worth the money.
Hey nice to see you again Briareos, I'm definitely hoping to get hold of the DH release of this manga (one of the few I'm willing to shell out for a translated version)

Also thanks for the info re: Maximum......
Old 2003-11-11, 11:50   Link #4
Briareos

Hey tsurumaru! Good to see you too. (Speaking of shelling out, have you gotten the GITS manga yet? )

I also should mention that the DH version has not been translated by Studio Proteus, so the volumes are/will be in the orginal right-to-left format.

Does anyone know how big the Japanese collected volumes of Trigun are? I know it's not unusual to see phonebook sized Japanese multi-author/story serial magazines, but I don't know how common large collected volumes are.
Old 2003-12-11, 20:57   Link #5
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Hey tsurumaru! Good to see you too. (Speaking of shelling out, have you gotten the GITS manga yet? )

I also should mention that the DH version has not been translated by Studio Proteus, so the volumes are/will be in the orginal right-to-left format.

Does anyone know how big the Japanese collected volumes of Trigun are? I know it's not unusual to see phonebook sized Japanese multi-author/story serial magazines, but I don't know how common large collected volumes are.
Finally got around to getting a copy of Volume 1 of the series and I have to say its excellent value! The quality of print and translation are pretty good too! I also like it being non flipped.... another gold star for Dark Horse.
Old 2003-12-12, 09:47   Link #6
Ookla The Mok

Quote:
The Japanese volumes are JIS B6 size, I'm pretty sure. So they're bigger than 390 yen series like Jump Comics/Shonen Sunday/Shonen Magazine tankobons, which are ko-B6 (see http://home.inter.net/eds/paper/jpaper.html for paper size explanations) and they're the same size as other ~550 yen series like Young Jump (GANTZ, etc) and JETS Comics (Berserk, Ai Yori Aoshi, etc) tankobons.
Old 2003-12-12, 20:47   Link #7
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Hardly. I saw it in the bookstore today, it's a maximum of 1 inch thick, if at that. I saw the Berserk manga too, but it was shrink-wrapped so I didn't touch it.
Old 2003-12-14, 18:44   Link #8
Gamera
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Gamera Send a message via AIM to Gamera Send a message via MSN to Gamera Send a message via Yahoo to Gamera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
Hardly. I saw it in the bookstore today, it's a maximum of 1 inch thick, if at that. I saw the Berserk manga too, but it was shrink-wrapped so I didn't touch it.
Don't know what book you were looking at, but the Trigun release from Dark Horse is much closer to two inches. (I'm the one who translated it, I have 20 copies of it, believe me, I know how thick it is )

The reason there are two separate series will become clear after you read volume 2 (due out in January). I'm working on Trigun Maximum now, so that we can get it into your hands early next year!

- Justin
Old 2003-12-14, 19:34   Link #9
AnimeFangirl

Trigun volume 1, right? Do you mean 2 cm or 2 inches? The version I saw in the bookstore was DEFINITELY much smaller than 2 inches.
Old 2003-12-15, 08:40   Link #10
Briareos

Yes, Trigun Vol.1 from Dark Horse in the U.S. is nearly 2 INCHES thick. No the original Trigun collected vol.1 from Japan (I have no idea how thick that is).

I really don't know what it is that you're looking at, but the one we're talking about is 360 pages long. You'd have to use rice paper to fit that many pages into 2 cm.

Good job on the translation Justin!
Old 2003-12-15, 11:01   Link #11
fenrihr
is dime-a-dozen

Send a message via AIM to fenrihr
they seemed to have used thicker than normal paper, cause for reference, the akira vol. 6 was 430+ pages and only was about 1.5 inches thick, so thinking about it, i'd say it's less than 2, but more than 1.5.... now if i could just get it back from my friend.....
Old 2003-12-15, 18:05   Link #12
Gamera
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Gamera Send a message via AIM to Gamera Send a message via MSN to Gamera Send a message via Yahoo to Gamera
Quote:
Yes, Trigun Vol.1 from Dark Horse in the U.S. is nearly 2 INCHES thick. No the original Trigun collected vol.1 from Japan (I have no idea how thick that is).

I really don't know what it is that you're looking at, but the one we're talking about is 360 pages long. You'd have to use rice paper to fit that many pages into 2 cm.

Good job on the translation Justin!
Thanks, B!

It's always nice to hear feedback (good or bad) from the people who matter most to me... the diehard fans.

- Justin
Old 2003-12-15, 21:44   Link #13
fenrihr
is dime-a-dozen

Send a message via AIM to fenrihr
keep up the good works!

or we'll have your head......

.... really.
Old 2003-12-16, 08:10   Link #14
Briareos

Oh yes, threats are ALWAYS the best way to motivate people. Not!
Is it so frelling hard to be civil?
Old 2003-12-16, 09:02   Link #15
LBW
I like obscure crap

Send a message via AIM to LBW
Damn, DH refused to export to Europe too a while ago, guess I won't be able to get them. >>';
Old 2003-12-16, 11:48   Link #16
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW
Damn, DH refused to export to Europe too a while ago, guess I won't be able to get them. >>';
Really? Forbiddon Planet in London (They have a new store recently opened) had loads of copies, quite reasonably priced too (for the UK).

I'll check out if they do international mail order, or online ordering for you....

If not I'm pretty sure http://www.archonia.com (based in Belgium) will stock it.
I have used them before, but unfortunately their website is down at the moment whilst they revamp it.
Old 2003-12-16, 12:16   Link #17
LBW
I like obscure crap

Very odd, since it was on archonia that I found out about it.

http://www.archonia.com/index.php?pa...mon=12&id=1605

Last edited by LBW; 2003-12-16 at 12:33.
Old 2003-12-16, 13:03   Link #18
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

My local store here in Norway has had it for some time, I bought it just today. It costed 165 NOK here, or 24.75 USD (according to xe.com).

I thought it had skipped a lot, since it seems to jump in around the 5th-7th episode of the anime. Apparently not Kudos for keeping the honorifics, like sempai. I prefer it that way myself. The only think I miss is an explanation of what the different "sounds" are.

It's a great book, and I'm looking forward to buying #2!
Old 2003-12-16, 13:29   Link #19
LBW
I like obscure crap

Well I'm confused now really, Raijin and Viz did the same thing and I couldn't get their manga anymore either unless at some outrageously high prize. :x
Old 2003-12-16, 22:54   Link #20
Ookla The Mok

Quote:

Um... I think you are both seriously underestimating how big an inch is. And a centimeter as well.

40# offset paper stock averages at 624 pages per inch (312 sheets) and 247 pages per centimeter (123.5 sheets).
50# offset stock averages at 526 pages per inch (263 sheets) and 206 pages per centimeter (103 sheets).
60# offset stock averages 416 pages per inch (208 sheets) and 166 pages per cm (83 sheets).
70# offset stock averages 345 pages per inch (172.5 sheets) and 136 pages per cm (68 sheets).

These are the most common paper weights. I have here (Japanese) Jump tanks that measure to be 60# paper.

360 pages at 60# would be 0.864 inches or 2.16 cm. For 360 pages to be 1.8 inches (my guess at what you mean by "nearly 2 inches") it would have to be 170# paper. That would mean that each page would be as thick as the book cover. Obviously, that is not the case.

360 pages in 2 cm would be about 55# paper. That's far from being rice paper.

If you really want to know how thick your books are, I suggest you get a ruler.

Oh and for your reference, 20# bond paper, the common good-quality letter-size paper you buy in the store, is as thick as 50# offset paper.
Closed Thread