AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 05 Rating
Perfect 10 54 13.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 5.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 5.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 25 6.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 27 6.99%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 16 4.15%
4 out of 10 : Poor 10 2.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 2.07%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 7 1.81%
1 out of 10 : Painful 196 50.78%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-09, 20:36   Link #361
Ruezu

Send a message via MSN to Ruezu
Endless Eight will end after Eight Repeated Episodes.
Old 2009-07-09, 20:37   Link #362
Launch
Bug Catcher

I don't really get all the plane imagery, but whatever. xD

Don't know about anyone else (haven't read through the 19-pages-within-hours-of-subs yet 0_0), but I quite liked this episode. :0 It was a huge improvement from the last one, though I'm not really sure why. I just enjoyed it alot more.

I must say, I did think Endless Eight would end today. The way they set up the episode... I can say that they did trick me into thinking it would indeed end. ^^; I refused to look at how long was left in the episode, for the novelty of not knowing. :P

In any case, a huge improvement from the previous ep (The 15, 513 loops did actually surprise me a bit).

Haha @ Kyon getting hit in the face by the ball.
Old 2009-07-09, 20:38   Link #363
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Arrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, I thought to myself... 'ah they are moving faster this time, skipping some details' it has to end this time... but no...

That said, I will say this, the artwork was even worse than last time, (especially noticeable with Yuki's mask), but at least it didn't have all the out focus work that was suppose to create surrealism, and it didn't have as many still frame shots.

Plus the story at least felt like it was progressing, even if it didn't show anything really different.

If this had been the episode last week I probably would have given it a 6, but now I'm dropping it to 5 just because I'm so angry that they are spending 5+ episodes on this...

What happened to the Disappearance of Haruhi? That makes sense as the big finale.

but they only have... what? 9 episodes left? If this one ended Endless Eight, then we'd have 4 episodes for Sighs and 5 for Disappearance, which is about right. I don't know if they can squeeze Sighs down to 3, and I'm certain they can't shorten Disappearance.

So are they not going to do Disappearance? But it fits perfectly with Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, how can they not do it? Maybe They decided to not do Sighs? That's kind of sad... it thought that would be a little fun...

Sigh... whatever, I don't know if I'll be in anticipation for next week, why not just rewatch one of the episodes I already have?
Old 2009-07-09, 20:40   Link #364
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Because the show itself still comes with the tag of KyoAni. This is little more than a scapegoat argument.
KyoAni's reputation will be affected by this, but again, Animation Studios merely make what's asked of them by their Sponsors. They're not like Studio Ghibli, who have enough clout that THEY (Ghibli) make the terms.

It might be stretching it a bit, but the symbiosis between Sunrise and Bandai could be a good example (really, it would be foolish to think that gunpla sales don't figure into the equation somewhere). Merchandise-driven franchises tend to push for this more than non-merchandise franchises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
What happened to the Disappearance of Haruhi? That makes sense as the big finale.
Remember, the Melancholy only filled six episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
About the DVDs, I don't see why they shouldn't fit all of Endless Eight on 1 disc. My (self-burned) Clannad DVD contains 24 episodes in a single disk. Granted, it's fansub quality, but even 11 high quality DVD episodes of 400 megabytes each could fit in there, and since Endless Eight is tentatively 6 episodes long, it would be much more forgiving to Kadokawa's sales to simply stuff it in a single disk.
Ithekro posited that the final DVD release will only see two actual Endless Eight episodes, while the rest will be included as 'extras'. I have no claim to understanding how the Japanese can continue marketing this way though as it seems grossly inefficent, not to mention the fact that DVDs are on the way out in terms or being marketable media.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2009-07-09 at 20:51. Reason: Edits and quotes.
Old 2009-07-09, 20:41   Link #365
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

About the DVDs, I don't see why they shouldn't fit all of Endless Eight on 1 disc. My (self-burned) Clannad DVD contains 24 episodes in a single disk. Granted, it's fansub quality, but even 11 high quality DVD episodes of 400 megabytes each could fit in there, and since Endless Eight is tentatively 6 episodes long, it would be much more forgiving to Kadokawa's sales to simply stuff it in a single disk.
Old 2009-07-09, 20:43   Link #366
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

/e falls to his knees and thanks Mazui for subbing this episode.

Something went weird with my internet connection during my last post, so I'm just going to repost this. Unfortunately I don't remember what I said.

Something about just waiting to enjoy this episode while trying to understand why they're choosing to handle the second season this way. I'd love to know what's going on behind the scenes over in Kyoto.

In the back of my mind I hope they're planning something big, like throwing out a secret, special-event episode that no one knows about. But the facts don't bear that out, obviously.
Old 2009-07-09, 20:49   Link #367
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Spoiler for FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF:
Old 2009-07-09, 20:52   Link #368
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

You know, after the initial "rage" of it still being Endless Eight has worn off, I'd have to say that this was my favorite rendition of all of them so far. The visuals were the most appealing to me out of the (so far) four episodes, as well as the dialogue. I gave it a one in amusement (and I'll admit a little ), but IMO this was the best rendition of E8 yet.

Spoiler for Significance of the plane:
Old 2009-07-09, 20:58   Link #369
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Let's start a Studio Director pool and bet on who directs the next episode!
Oh man, time to crunch some numbers to come up with those odds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch View Post
I don't really get all the plane imagery, but whatever. xD
Hey, it's just a Nice Plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Unfortunately, DVDs are stuck with MPEG2 encoding, which is not as efficient as the DivX/XviD or h264 codecs we use to make AVI and MKV files. If Endless Eight tops out at six episodes (Haruhi willing...), they should be able to fit all six on one disk. Edit: Brain fart, don't commercial DVDs hold 8.6 GB of data? I was thinking of a single layer DVD-R which holds about 4.37.

But that's all academic. Who knows what they're ultiamtely going to do with the DVD set.

Last edited by Ikonomi; 2009-07-09 at 21:03. Reason: Brain fart.
Old 2009-07-09, 20:59   Link #370
okabe

Aesthetically amusing, but that's all i got from this ep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touge-n00b View Post
Old 2009-07-09, 21:01   Link #371
PrincessFrani
TsuruyaxMikuru Worshipper

Spoiler for Rant in 3...2...1...:

*breathing very hard*
I need some ice cream.....
Old 2009-07-09, 21:02   Link #372
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazane View Post
Another one? Seriously?

Were there any significant differences this time round?
They skip Mikuru's classified information explanation.

We got Haruhi as smiling evil goddess backlit against the clouds.

Oh, and: "Nice plane"

I should have known something was up when they once again skipped Nagato telling them how many times they had discovered that there was a loop. I think that is the key.

Once Kyon finds out that they've discovered it over 9,000 times and failed to break the loop, maybe he will finally get off his keister and do something.
Old 2009-07-09, 21:04   Link #373
typhonsentra

It can work if it's dual layered. 6 Simpsons episodes with commentary and extras regularly are released on a single disc in the box sets.
Old 2009-07-09, 21:09   Link #374
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
mazui dropped haruhi? then why did mazui just release ep 15?
Thats exactly what I thought, Im DLing it now. I'll watch it, im still utterly pissed, but I have Clannad VN to keep my fix for something anime up .
Old 2009-07-09, 21:16   Link #375
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

I'm wondering if maybe whoever posted that meant that this will be the last episode that Mazui subs? Well, I hope not. It always distresses me to see people losing faith in something I love. And their subs are good quality, especially for how quickly they get them out.

And... hopefully... the next episode will be different anyway, so they won't have to sub the same material over and over, which seems like it would be easier, since you really only have to translate it once. That just leaves the sub timing and encoding and whatever else they do.

And I combo-broke the Super Driver head-shaking avatars...
Old 2009-07-09, 21:18   Link #376
ParadoX

I was so convinced it would end this time that the ED caught me complete off-guard.. and when I realised it would repeat yet again for another week I started laughing to myself.. I'm sure Kyoani are having a good laugh right now too..
Old 2009-07-09, 21:18   Link #377
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
What I don't understand is that they've been trying this "experimental advertising" and "presentation" for the series since season 1.

They've already trolled enough with "cancellation of season 2" in order to correspond with "Disappearance". That was already 3 years worth of trolling, they really don't need to pull this E8 crap out, especially when E8 wans't event that satisfying of a story in the first place.
Enless they intend on announcing that "Season 2" The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is coming out for the Winter season or something... and this is all just a build up to that.
Old 2009-07-09, 21:21   Link #378
SilentOb
Lurker

We see KyoAni trollin', we ragin'.

Time to take a break from Haruhi.
Old 2009-07-09, 21:22   Link #379
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
OK, so Mazui lied and did the subs.

This was a little bit better than the last one. I found the ending a bit more chilling than the first two clones. It's useless to compare Endless Eight to anything by now, because I haven't seen anything like this in my life.

Of course KyoAni is trying to hype it up, they're not going to stop. Next week will be the same with a different storyboard and animation, just to give us despair and kill our hope for everything we wanted in this re-airing. I'm fine with that, oddly.

I'm giving a 6/10. The concept of what I think they're trying to do is great, but the present fanservice just feels like filler. Keep re-airing it KyoAni, I'm enjoying it because I don't like to be angry. I'll keep looking forword to a new E8 every Thursday to laugh at the fanbase with you. Despite the fact that I'm a sucker, too.
Old 2009-07-09, 21:22   Link #380
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
When the crew was catching cicadas, I wanted some kind of godly ending to occur, like you were saying. So immediately, I imagined Nagato losing it: "aaaaaaaaaaaa!!" *view of treetops and hills with birds suddenly taking flight*

Haruhi: What was that? Did you hear someone scream?

Of course, that kind of epic event would be totally out of canon, but hey, KyoAni has made things so tense that any dramatic change to canon of any sort could easily reach epic status.
Canon???

Heck if they are going to keep repeating they can do whatever they want!

As it will be overwritten!
Closed Thread