AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-03, 03:16   Link #761
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Kaga Rin: "Stop fighting!!!"

Me: "Stop telling me things I don't need to know. I will read what I want. It's not for anyone to tell me what not to read or how I should bubble wrap my own sensitive feelings."
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 09:28   Link #762
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... the implied suggestion that if I don't arrive at the same conclusions he has that I'm stupid and the accompanied insults certainly validate his assertions...

Never mind that this is the anime thread... not the manga thread.

If it is written poorly, it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've run into annoying writing. The first manga I ever read had me curling my lips at the author's inept jerking around the characters. His "intended ending" no longer made sense because he'd gone in another direction too well and it was quite a trainwreck forcing it back.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-07-03 at 10:06.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 09:25   Link #763
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Leaving aside the discussion about manga, the Usagi Drop anime was the best slice of life/drama of 2011 with Hourou Musuko and Colorful (film) being honorable mentions. Realistic, heartwarming, likable and an adult male lead that you could associate yourself with, it never dwelled into melodrama nor did it go overboard with its comedy. It was the anime that gave me a smile every Friday (I think that's when it aired) and I have gladly bought the DVDs which were available in my country, and I have absolutely no regrets.

It was best series to have aired on noitamina in a while, and we haven't had anything since then that could beat it (Sakamichi no Appollon could not touch it imo due to its somewhat poor pacing and terrible last episode). I fully endorse it and approve of it winning the slice of life award for the Animesuki Awards 2011.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 10:37   Link #764
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Those of us who pre-ordered the NISA release of Usagi Drop should see their copies arriving any day now. If you're looking to purchase the show now, you'll have to wait until September since NISA has apparently already sold out the entire first pressing. Robert of Robert's Anime Corner Store reports reports on his blog that Usagi Drop "has been the most heavily pre-ordered title for us so far this year." I find it both remarkable and a hopeful sign that a show about a thirty-year-old man and five-year-old girl without ecchi, fighting or dubbing reached the top spot instead of (dubbed) shows like Panty & Stocking.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 10:46   Link #765
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The show fared decently on BD/DVD in Japan, actually - not great, but better than most NoitaminA works - so this isn't a complete shock. But yes, a very hopeful sign.

I'd like to see NoitaminA air an adaptation of the second half of the manga, just because it would look like "Scanners" in here...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 18:48   Link #766
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Those of us who pre-ordered the NISA release of Usagi Drop should see their copies arriving any day now. If you're looking to purchase the show now, you'll have to wait until September since NISA has apparently already sold out the entire first pressing. Robert of Robert's Anime Corner Store reports reports on his blog that Usagi Drop "has been the most heavily pre-ordered title for us so far this year." I find it both remarkable and a hopeful sign that a show about a thirty-year-old man and five-year-old girl without ecchi, fighting or dubbing reached the top spot instead of (dubbed) shows like Panty & Stocking.
Wow I wasn't expecting that at all. Good for Usagi Drop but also good for NISA who is fast becoming my favorite US anime company.

Anyways I am happy to say my copy is on its way.
Old 2012-08-08, 18:53   Link #767
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Holy cow, I'm short on money now so I didn't get a copy but I guess I'll have make sure I get it soon, glad to hear it's selling so well!
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 06:17   Link #768
anigu
Game maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Now they will learn to bring more shows like this gem to us. Honestly, I also didn't expect such good sales.
anigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 17:58   Link #769
Kirarakim

Got mine in the mail today, there is an interview in the art book with practically everyone involved with the anime: director, key animation director/character designer, screenwriter, opening sequence directors, & Yumi Hotta the manga-ka.

I am very impressed!

There is also something on the ending sequence with images of all the little changes made to the ending each episode.
Old 2012-09-24, 16:42   Link #770
willx
Nyaaan~~

So, I read the manga a while ago, including the whole slice of life -> josei transition (which I had mixed feelings about, but could understand) .. but only just recently watched the anime!

How charming it is! It, of course, reminds me of Aishiteruze Baby! but.. the pastels, the animation usage of SD faces and Daikichi's deadpan expressions totally made it for me. It definitely brought a smile to my face and made me nostalgic (or dreaming..) for simpler times..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 05:53   Link #771
brocko

I recently had a chance to watch the Live Action version of the film very recently on the big screens so I'll just cross-post my quick thoughts on it here
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
... Great film, great actors, great comedy and great warmth all around. I'm sure many will be glad to hear that the notorious time skip is not covered at all in the film. The film is mostly faithful to the events of the anime, although due to a lack of a story-telling climax they had to kind of make one up towards the end lol

One of the very first thing that striked me when watching the film was how much younger Daikichi looked in comparison to his anime counterpart lol. It took a little while to get accustomed to at first but soon enough you begin to lose yourself within the film and it doesn't become much of a bother anymore (even if it was a little petty one). In retrospect I think the actors youthfulness just adds onto the naivety of Daikichi's character as he cluelessly takes on the challenges of being a single parent.

Kouki's mum however felt a little jarring to watch in comparison, much for the same 'looks younger than expected' reason. I can't quite put my finger exactly on it yet, but to me she also seemed to be portrayed as slightly different character than what I had been accustomed to in the anime. My friends that I had watched it with, seemed to disagree somewhat though so maybe it was just a problem with me lol.

A lot of the other side characters do manage to make appearances but due to time constraints they don't really stay for all that long. Which is fine because a large part of what makes the Usagi Drop narrative so enjoyable is the interactions between Rin and Daikichi anyway. Something that the two lead actors portray amazingly well together.

I'd really recommend all those out to give the Usagi Drop film a watch, especially those that enjoyed the original works (or well... at least the first half of the original lol). There are no shortages of cute laughs or heart-warming sweetness to go around, nor are they overused and overstay their welcome either. The movie itself feels very similar and faithful in nature to the anime. If anything watch it for all the 'Sweet Drops' to be had, because just hearing it at the ending credits made me so happy, happy, happy~ lol

Protip: google 'Yhu5zLW36dw' for an adorable youtube film

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2012-11-19 at 06:09.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-30, 08:56   Link #772
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Beautiful.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

Last edited by kache; 2013-07-30 at 12:29.
kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-30, 12:17   Link #773
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

kache, please wrap your entire post in AnimeSuki's custom [images][/images] tags. Remember that we still have members on low-speed Internet connections and ones who pay for the bandwidth they use. The special [images] tag only downloads the image when the tag is opened.

Personally, I try to resize all the images I post to a width of 640 pixels. Posting full 1920x1080 frames is really overkill.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-30, 14:34   Link #774
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

Finished it.

Masterpiece!

I want 2nd series NAO!!!

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-31, 06:27   Link #775
HasuMasu
*Artist

I'd be fine with an adaptation of the second part.

Others, though...and quite understandably too...

Tags
josei, noitamina, romance