3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2020-01-04, 03:27   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Gaiden - Episode 1 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Madoka Magica, Episode 1.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-04, 14:53   Link #2
4th Dimension

No posts?!?

Well as someone who hasn't played the games, it's okay, but I feel while the MC's mystery is interesting, the plot of this first episode could do with some tightening up.

Also back in original the real world was nowhere near as psychodelic as this has. Like there was the whole sterile clean inhuman school and like. But there weren't teddy bears just grabbing kids in the background and like. Or balls of CGI going about.

I even thought that hence we must be in post Rebellion given that this kind of wierdness was present in that version of universe.

But apparently from some comments we are probably in age before Mado-kami?

All in all I guess it gets another episode.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-04, 15:25   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Can we transform this into a general discussion thread instead of having threads for single episodes? That's always been much more convenient, and it's not like there's going to be much discussion.

The episode didn't tell me anything more than the trailers did, but I guess it's my fault for watching them. I don't know the name of the theme, but when it started playing at the beginning of the episode, I felt really nostalgic. I don't know about the story, but at least this will have great direction and music.

Iroha seems like a relatively weak magical girl. Or maybe Unlimited Lance Works girl is just that strong. They seemingly showed us what her wish was, but that doesn't explain why her sister was erased from her life. There's also the mystery of baby Kyubey (will he become as popular as baby Yoda? Yeah, probably not ) and why all those magical girls are having that dream.

I think I spotted Kyouko in the OP. Probably won't get involved much though.
Old 2020-01-04, 15:58   Link #4
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Not only Kyouko. The main cast of the original are all in that frame. Madoka, Homura (with glasses and braids), Mami and (I think, couldn't make it out for sure since it was profile view), Sayaka.
Old 2020-01-04, 16:34   Link #5
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Can we transform this into a general discussion thread instead of having threads for single episodes? That's always been much more convenient, and it's not like there's going to be much discussion.
We'll keep the episode threads as is, though, i've renamed the anticipation thread so feel free to use that.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-04, 20:10   Link #6
Wandering Soul

Don't know about the plot of the game and I've mostly stayed away from the trailers, so I don't know what the story will be like, but so far they nailed the tone and atmosphere of Madoka.
Old 2020-01-05, 02:46   Link #7
Lukes YGO & WS on YT
Naracchi & Saracchi

Definitely one of the shows I was looking forward to the most.

Really enjoyed the original series, Rebellion and the game was pretty fun as well.

Very happy with what I saw to begin with and very much looking forward to watching more this season.
Lukes YGO & WS on YT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-05, 11:18   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin View Post
Not only Kyouko. The main cast of the original are all in that frame. Madoka, Homura (with glasses and braids), Mami and (I think, couldn't make it out for sure since it was profile view), Sayaka.
Nice. Since Homura has her nerdy look, we have a better idea "when" this takes place then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
We'll keep the episode threads as is, though, i've renamed the anticipation thread so feel free to use that.
Thanks, but there's not much point if everybody is in the episode threads and I'm the only posting there
Old 2020-01-05, 11:36   Link #9
Dawnstorm

Quote:
I don't know the name of the theme, but when it started playing at the beginning of the episode, I felt really nostalgic.

I associate this theme so much with Madoka herself, that rather than feeling nostalgic, I felt like it was a bit of a cop-out. They could have made something in a similar style, instead of just re-using the track (the way the new girl's character design is a variation on Madoka's basic type, but different enough to be her own character). Because of that, I spent a little time more wary than I needed to be.

I feel that overall the show did pretty well treading the line between reference and creating its own identity, but sometimes it's a little clumsy, ridng its own clichés. But some of the shots are awesome, and the way they handled background and foreground events during the girls' conversation on the train was excellent and worthy of the original series. This is better than I thought it would be, but not quite good enough to fully convince me.

Definitely good, though, at least so far.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-05, 12:29   Link #10
mergele

This is gonna end badly.

Option 1: This is supposed to be something entirely different. A spin-off inspired by the setting, not actually tied into the original story. For that it is clinging to the superficial toppings of the original to much. Opening up with Magia, the 'totally not Sayaka, Homura and Mami classmates', that shot in bed. And the also wrong use of the imagery like in the circus. If it wants to be it's own thing it needs to be bolder in beeing it's own thing. Step out of the shadow of it's big brother.

Option 2: This is supposed to somehow tie into the original story. Well that would just makes it all even worse. The copied imagery could then be applied by purpose and the stronger bleeding of witchery into reality could all be meaningful - but we already had Rebellion and that still needs a conclusion and this is not gonna be that.
mergele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-05, 12:38   Link #11
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
I don't know the name of the theme, but when it started playing at the beginning of the episode, I felt really nostalgic.
Sis Puella Magica?

Anyway, an allied Incubator.....Hahahaha, whatever will we have next lol

BTW, there are 7 chapters for part 1 and part 2 only just came out recently it seems. This ep seems to be following that but who knows if it's another spin to the game story like we got with Vanishing City
Old 2020-01-05, 16:04   Link #12
Dark Wing

Having played the game I safely say the first episode was basically a 1 to 1 adaptation of first part of the game minus a few things here and there.

Without spoiling anything I would like to say something to people watching this show. You should really go into Magia Record thinking of it as it's own thing.

Now what I mean is the story is going to lean more towards a lighter story compared to the orginal series. However please don't any less of it as we'll still have interesting mysteries and characters (if the anime follows the games story in full).
Old 2020-01-05, 16:35   Link #13
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
That will depend on how the anime will depict certain chapters from the game.
Old 2020-01-05, 19:03   Link #14
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
But apparently from some comments we are probably in age before Mado-kami?
Spoiler for From the tutorial, potential spoilers:

Quote:
Iroha seems like a relatively weak magical girl. Or maybe Unlimited Lance Works girl is just that strong.
Both. Iroha is a healer, so her DPS is low. Yachiyo is a veteran, so she has a large breadth of experience and skills at her disposal.

Quote:
After they introduced Kuroe (who appears to be anime original), I thought they were writing the original cast out of the series. But then they were in the OP, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
BTW, there are 7 chapters for part 1 and part 2 only just came out recently it seems. This ep seems to be following that but who knows if it's another spin to the game story like we got with Vanishing City
Part 1 has 9 chapters, btw.

Last edited by GDB; 2020-01-05 at 19:31.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-05, 20:16   Link #15
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post

Part 1 has 9 chapters, btw.
Right thanks, time to find a complete playthrough....
Old 2020-01-06, 18:11   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergele View Post
This is gonna end badly.

Option 1: This is supposed to be something entirely different. A spin-off inspired by the setting, not actually tied into the original story. For that it is clinging to the superficial toppings of the original to much. Opening up with Magia, the 'totally not Sayaka, Homura and Mami classmates', that shot in bed. And the also wrong use of the imagery like in the circus. If it wants to be it's own thing it needs to be bolder in beeing it's own thing. Step out of the shadow of it's big brother.

Option 2: This is supposed to somehow tie into the original story. Well that would just makes it all even worse. The copied imagery could then be applied by purpose and the stronger bleeding of witchery into reality could all be meaningful - but we already had Rebellion and that still needs a conclusion and this is not gonna be that.
It's a spin-off. I'd say the fact it's very similar to the main work is pretty normal. You shouldn't expect it to be different, but rather to offer new ideas like some of the spin-off manga did.

I've been wondering about one thing since finding out it takes place in one of the failed timelines. It's only Homura's mind that travels back in time, so the timelines where she failed to save Madoka still exist, right? In that case, perhaps we're going to see how the cast of this series will deal with the aftermath of Walpurgisnacht.
Old 2020-01-06, 18:32   Link #17
GDB

Quote:
I've been wondering about one thing since finding out it takes place in one of the failed timelines. It's only Homura's mind that travels back in time, so the timelines where she failed to save Madoka still exist, right? In that case, perhaps we're going to see how the cast of this series will deal with the aftermath of Walpurgisnacht.
All implications from the original series is that time is a single reality, not a multiverse. This is why Madoka's karma power increases with each reverted timeline.
Old 2020-01-06, 19:22   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
All implications from the original series is that time is a single reality, not a multiverse. This is why Madoka's karma power increases with each reverted timeline.
Then I wonder how they're going to work this into the series. How will the events from a pruned timeline matter?
Old 2020-01-06, 19:28   Link #19
GDB

They broke the rules for the sake of a gacha, and now it's its own separate reality.
Old 2020-01-06, 22:01   Link #20
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'm just going to say "RIP Kuroe" now. That girl seems destined to get killed off.

Not a bad first episode. Sets the stage with the new main character for this story. Good bit of mystery around just what happened in her past. It does end with covering just what her wish was, but we'll have to see the exact effects.

Not bad.