Notices

Old 2007-09-05, 23:54   Link #41
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Off-topic:

Quote:

The fact they're closed source doesn't mean their some cheapo company.
And if they were OSS it wouldn't make them better.

In the OSS world the most popular team wins... not the best team. If say Opera became OSS, Firefox would just steal their code. Then you would see people from Op migrate to FF, and eventually, Opera would die out. And what good did all that do: the original developers and vision was lost in favor of making it OSS, yay!

But you could say: it's OSS now so everyone can pick up where they left. But then, if "everyone" could pick it up so easily browsers like Firefox would already be the fastest...

I agree making OSS things that aren't available in any form, is a good thing...
But for some things, I'd rather have them in good hands and damn closed source.
Ah, the old OSS vs proprietary software discussion? Well, IMO if something is open source there's no actual stealing involved... there's just copyright infringement if you don't attach the original copyright notice. The only "illegal" act I would consider is merging open source code in a proprietary binary blob without providing the GPL notice or a means of acquiring the source on petition.

OSS just guarantees you that the software will be developed to solve a need, and that the software will do no tricky stuff to your PC. So, as long as there are needs that need (duh!) to be provided for, the software will keep moving forward. And of course there's all the trust issues (though I'm not distrusting the Opera developers) regarding closed source software. Just a matter of principles on this point.

Besides, from an objective point of view, OSS is certainly the best (theoretical) method of improving the software. Theoretically speaking, of course.

Whatever, I don't feel like railing the thread offtopic any further

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 03:19   Link #42
Tiberium Wolf

Another annoying thing. Since I have reinstalled FF now mIRC doesn't open web sites with FF but instead with IE when I double click in a web address in the channels topic. How I fix that?
Old 2007-09-07, 03:32   Link #43
hipeach

options -> system defaults -> check now and set Firefox as your default browser
hipeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 03:40   Link #44
Tiberium Wolf

It was already set. I guess I have to reinstall mIRC. If FF is installed after mIRC, then mIRC will use IE. Oh well... can't do it now with my dls going.

Edit: I just uninstalled mIRC and installed it again... no good.

Edit 2: I found a solutions in another forum about changing registry entry in "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfileshell\open\command" to point to FF instead of IE.
Not really sure what that part of the registry does.

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2007-09-07 at 08:19.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 07:03   Link #45
Syaoran
Inactive Member

What the hell ??? Ever seen this kind of error with Vista?

I've like 7GB left on that partition...
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 05:12   Link #46
Dxon
Inactive Member

That error is pretty self-explanatory don't you think? But it's weird it gives that message while you got 7gb left.
Did you check for paging file? How big is it? 7gb??
Page file takes up a few gigs.
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 07:42   Link #47
Syaoran
Inactive Member

That 7GB is available disk space.
I installed Visual Studio Express (~4GB), Opera 9.5 and a few other apps recently without problems. It's really a firefox issue.
Old 2008-02-03, 12:35   Link #48
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoran View Post
That 7GB is available disk space.
I installed Visual Studio Express (~4GB), Opera 9.5 and a few other apps recently without problems. It's really a firefox issue.
It shows a Yen sign instead of a \ in the selection box, maybe the setup does not support unicode, and therefore cannot retrieve a valid filename uppon selection and therefore no valid disk space? ( though if it installs on another drive's selection, the error lies somewhere else )
Old 2008-02-04, 03:42   Link #49
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
It shows a Yen sign instead of a \ in the selection box, maybe the setup does not support unicode, and therefore cannot retrieve a valid filename uppon selection and therefore no valid disk space? ( though if it installs on another drive's selection, the error lies somewhere else )
That's what I thought at first and reverted back to English (United States) for non unicode programs instead of Japanse. It didn't help. There must be something else... I'll wait for Firefox 3 bèta 3 and see if that one works.

Update: I tried it with the Firefox 2.0 and Firefox 1.5 flavour... All the same

Last edited by Syaoran; 2008-02-04 at 04:17.
Old 2008-02-04, 05:13   Link #50
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
i would do it the annoying way and install it where ever it'll install then move the folder to where i please. Firefox doesn't actually care where you move the folder, only about the app data.

(i used the same install folder for several years, and moved it around to man folders, drives, used the same folder on multiple OS's,never had an issue)

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 06:27   Link #51
Syaoran
Inactive Member

I think it's related to the installer itself. I just wanted to install Spicebird and it's the error.

Tags
browsers, firefox