AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2014-08-10, 09:15   Link #261
Nerroth
NePoi!

Apologies if these have been noted elsewhere already, but Bamco's North American YT channel posted a couple of interview clips about SAO:HF a few weeks back:

(I like how the question is asked in a very "oh, by the way..." fashion about whether people in the West would be interested in that recent Japanese update being brought over, and the response is a loud "Yes!".)
Old 2014-08-10, 21:13   Link #262
Nerroth
NePoi!

Apologies for the double post, but I recently marathoned most of season 1 in order to try and get a better sense of where the IM/HF timeline branches off from.

(Originally, I had kind of zoned out of SAO season 1 after the first few episodes, but I did watch Extra Edition and have been following season 2. Which might seem like an odd way round, but anyway...)

Spoiler for Game thoughts:

Last edited by Nerroth; 2014-08-10 at 21:54.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-11, 00:45   Link #263
Frontier

I think the game gets around that by never definitively having Kirito choose any other girl other than Asuna, since their marriage and Official Couple status is still canon no matter what route or ending you go for.

Spoiler:
Old 2014-08-11, 14:18   Link #264
Nerroth
NePoi!

Hmm.

Spoiler for further thoughts:
Old 2014-08-11, 16:57   Link #265
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
Hmm.

Spoiler for further thoughts:
I don't think our current world have enough AI tech for this. actually, that is the way how most Japanese galgame/AVGs work
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-11, 20:05   Link #266
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by c933103 View Post
I don't think our current world have enough AI tech for this. actually, that is the way how most Japanese galgame/AVGs work
Well, it's not really a lack of technology, just lack of development time/budget. The more open-ended you make it, the more difficult it is to keep it fun because people could easily get lost in rabbit holes. These tie-in games don't have the development budget of something like Skyrim. ;p

But yeah, the problem with a true galge in the SAO universe is that the canon relationships are already set, including the fact that Kazuto/Kirito is the main protagonist. It'd take an even greater stretch to have a new player character be able to catch-up and have a world-changing impact in the story, without making that character even more "Gary Stu" than some accuse Kazuto of being. It'd almost be better to create a new universe with all-new characters in that case.
Old 2014-08-11, 22:12   Link #267
Nerroth
NePoi!

I may have given a more grandiose impression of what I was getting at than I had intended.

Spoiler for sequel thoughts:

Last edited by Nerroth; 2014-08-11 at 23:07.
Old 2014-08-12, 18:02   Link #268
Nerroth
NePoi!

The major update which went live in Japan last month will be heading to North America on September 23rd.
Old 2014-08-14, 03:32   Link #269
l.kostas

Hollow Fragment Gets Free Costume DLC:
Bandai Namco Games announced on Tuesday that it will offer a free download content pack for Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment in North America. The bonus content will be available for download from launch on August 19 to November 18. The pack includes a wedding dress, dress shirt, nightie, and school swimsuit costumes.
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-14, 11:23   Link #270
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
I may have given a more grandiose impression of what I was getting at than I had intended.

Spoiler for sequel thoughts:
Well,, SAO: End World is created with something similar in mind apparently but that game itself is not that much high entertainment value i guess? (being a GREE game...
Old 2014-08-19, 07:31   Link #271
Nerroth
NePoi!

So, today's the day (in North America; Europe gets its turn tomorrow).

Is anyone here going to pick up the Western release of the game? And will you be looking forward to the September update?

EDIT:

Last edited by Nerroth; 2014-08-19 at 14:21.
Old 2014-08-19, 20:15   Link #272
iceyfw

LOLwhat. there are grammar mistakes, some punctuations missing, and the improper use of the question mark and period in the NA version. at least hire some people with an English bachelor's degree to properly edit the text from the Asian release. i have no tolerance level for this bullshit. i would get more headaches than enjoyment playing this game.

all this says to me is if the asian release had no english subtitles, then this NA release wouldn't have happened at all. damn bandai namco. good one on trying to make quick cash on the SAO fanbase in NA and EU.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-21, 12:30   Link #273
Nerroth
NePoi!

I'm enjoying the game well enough so far.

Spoiler for basic game setup:

It is true that there are more than a few typos and odd Engrish-ey translations, but most of the dialogue reads reasonably well enough. Plus, while there is no dual audio included, the Japanese voice track works fine for me.

Oh, and this is one game for which I'd strongly recommend taking the time to read through the manual. I made the mistake of ploughing in without doing so, and missed more than a few major and minor aspects of the game system as a result. (Once I stopped to look over the manual more carefully, I found things to go that much more smoothly once I started playing again.)
Old 2014-08-21, 15:34   Link #274
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Wait, the translation still suck even in the NA version?! God... I just went and brought it just now...
Old 2014-08-21, 19:20   Link #275
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
Wait, the translation still suck even in the NA version?! God... I just went and brought it just now...
Yhep, the translation can be offensively bad at times. There's stuff in there that clearly wasn't proofread which really makes it a bitter pill to swallow given the price. On the other hand the mechanics are fantastic and it really feels like being inside sword art online. The cutscenes are also very good looking with some very interesting filters and textures. I was definitely not expecting to be as happy with the game is I am.

However I still find it hard to accept having Sinon in the game. I can sort of accept Leefa being in this because, if I remember this right, ALO was made with alpha code from SAO and had to be up and running by the time Kirito freed everyone in the original novel but GGO was based on The Seed right? That would make it impossible to have Sinon in a VRMMOG before people were out of SAO. (and yes, I'm aware that this is an alternate reality. )
Old 2014-08-22, 20:05   Link #276
Vsin
Aldracity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Yhep, the translation can be offensively bad at times. There's stuff in there that clearly wasn't proofread which really makes it a bitter pill to swallow given the price. On the other hand the mechanics are fantastic and it really feels like being inside sword art online. The cutscenes are also very good looking with some very interesting filters and textures. I was definitely not expecting to be as happy with the game is I am.

However I still find it hard to accept having Sinon in the game. I can sort of accept Leefa being in this because, if I remember this right, ALO was made with alpha code from SAO and had to be up and running by the time Kirito freed everyone in the original novel but GGO was based on The Seed right? That would make it impossible to have Sinon in a VRMMOG before people were out of SAO. (and yes, I'm aware that this is an alternate reality. )
Spoiler for Sinon's Excuse:

Yeah, that's basically the whole setup for Sinon. It's also why she doesn't have the light blue GGO hair and instead has her natural hair colour.

Spoiler for The Real Asspull:
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-22, 22:14   Link #277
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Just clear floor 76, the English isn't as shitty as I thought but does get questionable at time. Anyhow I just raised Leafa's mood to Lv 6 after bridal carried her, but after I put her down and tried to carried her a second time her mood reset back to normal. Why is that, anyone know? I thought only dying and disbanded the party reset the mood or is there more?
Old 2014-08-23, 00:01   Link #278
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
Spoiler for Sinon's Excuse:

Yeah, that's basically the whole setup for Sinon. It's also why she doesn't have the light blue GGO hair and instead has her natural hair colour.

Spoiler for The Real Asspull:
Spoiler for vspoiler:
Old 2014-08-24, 21:14   Link #279
Hana
izumi

So.. I kind of just got the game. I do not really understand the battle system that well. I think I'm kinda just spamming O but.. I don't think I'm doing this right. Any help?
Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-25, 12:29   Link #280
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hana View Post
So.. I kind of just got the game. I do not really understand the battle system that well. I think I'm kinda just spamming O but.. I don't think I'm doing this right. Any help?
Here is the basic version.

O = Basic "empowered attack" that suck away your burst bar. Also initiate combat.
X = Let you dash. Also drain burst bar.
Triangle = Shield block, this grant you 100 SP if you do it right.
Square = Stun, this can stun the boss for 1 second.

Press R or L will bring up another menu+ O/X/T/S will let you trigger other special moves, AOE attacks and what not. These moves use SP (Blue bar). A fast way to re-fill SP is press L, and bring up your partner control bar. By praising your partner, your SP is recovered +50.

You can also change your icons by pressing L and R together, this bring up your battle/weapon skills and potion list so you can setup what do you want to use.

-------------------------------

With that in mind, this game definitely have a shitty English translation. REALLY-AWFUL Ones.

And the dating Sim is just LOL. Press a button and a girl fall in love with you? Gosh. This isn't even up to nukiage level writing.

Tags
ps vita, ps3, psp, rpg, sword art online