AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2015-01-07, 12:15   Link #441
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizix View Post
I cant argue with that. I suppose I interpret it strangely, it just doesn't *feel* as serious.
There are different degrees of serious, if you're going for the "Anybody can die at any time" seriousness of Game of Thrones then no it's not.

You standard procedural drama series type of seriousness? It's in the ballpark.

However the themes that they touch upon, politics/religion/experimentation/free will, those are certainly not for kids.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-07, 12:21   Link #442
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
However the themes that they touch upon, politics/religion/experimentation/free will, those are certainly not for kids.
Though whether any of these topic is handled well, your mileage might vary
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-07, 12:25   Link #443
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Same could be said for any story I wager.
Old 2015-01-07, 12:30   Link #444
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

its in the grey area, it for kids but at the same time its not. u have those battles that r in similar respect to naruto and bleach, but then u get these random ecchi moments, i.e. strippin index, Lucia, Angelene, Agnese, his fight with Oriana, then if u read the railgun manga, i think he saw Mikoto's semi nude, Itsuwa was kinda nude when/after he splashed in in France because Tsuchimikado pushed him out of a supersonic jet.

Then on top of that u have Tsuchimikado making these ecchi comments to Kanzaki. when he was saving himegami in deep blood arc he saw partially nude random female student, when himegami was fixing her up with first aide. he saw Orsola nude in the shower back in Italy. Lessar showed him her undies. idk if there was ecchi moment with Kuro, but that bathroom scene kinda sounded ecchi. also I think he's seen the Misaka sisters nude a few times and i think 10032 pull her pants down to show her shima panties.

speaking of that Accelerator saw nudes too XD.
Old 2015-01-07, 12:37   Link #445
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Slight off-topic, I find it amusing that you would think fighting and killing is okay for kids, but nudity is bad Not even sex, just nudity.

Let's not forget, both Naruto and Bleach aren't exactly bloodless (Bleach in particular).

And there's even a bit of body gore in Index.
Old 2015-01-07, 13:12   Link #446
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

a bit, i think having touma get wrecked cut his arm off a few times is more than enough to keep up with bleach.

yeah i do rate nudity more adult than blood and gore fight scenes.

but meh, i hear their teaching kindergartners about about sex and homos... i'm like thats just wrong... teaching a 5 or 6 year about how to make babies... :P what blasphemy is this...
Old 2015-01-07, 14:18   Link #447
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Why do you keep focusing so much on nudity? Like Chaos said, you just need to look at the bloodiest arcs (Battle Royale/Baggage City) to see it's not for kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamijou_Touma View Post
yeah i do rate nudity more adult than blood and gore fight scenes.
If there is no sex with the nudity and it's censored on top of that (convenient steam, towel, etc), I'm not sure I get your logic. It's more of a ''naked people are funny'' than anything, really. And compared to lots of other series, fanservice in ToAru is actually rarely ecchi or to arouse.

EDIT: interestingly, even TvTropes makes that same observation
Quote:
Most of the Fanservice in A Certain Magical Index is this. Index's clothes exploding, Kuroko's string bikini ("yeah, its not what I'd usually wear, but its the smallest they had"), and the stripping woman are all Played for Laughs.
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!
Old 2015-01-07, 14:41   Link #448
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

true, but the fighting and blood and gore is more the norm these days, so even if its not meant for kids, its still gonna be seen some where compared those played for laugh moments... besides kamachi-sensei used it alot back in OT.
Old 2015-01-07, 15:04   Link #449
R.LocK
My turn

Softcore futanari doujins (a bit on extreme side, but welp) traumatised me much less than cannibalism in comics (replace it with blood, gore, whatever) back in 00s. I'd say that Aureolus's alchemy warrants some disclaimers much more than Touma disrobing Index or other females caught in compromising situations. Or Accelerator pretty much describing how he killed #10031. Or Mugino dragging half of Frenda's body through the half of the city. ...Yeah.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-07, 15:14   Link #450
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

but thats normal, look at all the zombie games and stuff that came out last year and this year, and all those horror games..... idk why you guys would think its a big deal when its all over the place now.
Old 2015-01-07, 15:16   Link #451
Fellen
*Insert user title here*

I really don't think the novels are for kids. The anime? Sure why not, I don't think it's too bad for children. However when things gets brutal and messed up in the novels, then it's some really high level stuff. It could mentally scar some child for life.
Old 2015-01-07, 15:24   Link #452
Fizix
Nitpicking

^ yes, the novels come across as more intense than the anime, I think the violent stuff has been toned down in the anime.

The nudity isn't something I've ever really thought about in the anime, aside from Kuroko based stuff in Railgun but that bugs me for reasons other than explicitness (which it isn't).

Index' nudity is about as mild as nudity can get and is played for laughs rather than being sexy or erotic. The problem is the gag doesn't have longevity.
Fizix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-07, 15:29   Link #453
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

I guess my view on the novel is different from you guys then.
Old 2015-01-07, 15:33   Link #454
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellen View Post
I really don't think the novels are for kids. The anime? Sure why not, I don't think it's too bad for children. However when things gets brutal and messed up in the novels, then it's some really high level stuff. It could mentally scar some child for life.
Exactly. When Kamachi wants to get bloody and gory...he gets bloody and gory. Baggage City, the confrontation between Accelerator and the Hound Dogs in the chemical plant, Battle Royale, Limen Magna, the description of 10031's body...those were bloody and gory enough to traumatize. Seriously, reading Volume 13 is enough to make one realize how toned down the anime really was.

With regards to nudity, allfictions said it best. Nude people are funny. Being caught in embarrassing poses and situations is funny. It has almost never been played for eroticism.
Old 2015-01-07, 15:40   Link #455
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

i never said eroticism tho, i said more ecchi than it is sexual.
Old 2015-01-07, 16:07   Link #456
Fizix
Nitpicking

I thought ecchi was erotic, at least in the sense of being designed to be sexy or to titillate?

10031, that volume in particular affected me, it wasn't nice.

Last edited by Fizix; 2015-01-07 at 16:56.
Old 2015-01-07, 16:23   Link #457
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...06&oe=552F72D9

^^^ everyone's attitude to gory or bloody scenes.

meh i not even remotely surprised at Kamachi-sensei's level of gore.

the only scene that made me wow is when izzard lopped off his arm for the first time and dragon came out to say wassup bro.

Last edited by Kamijou_Touma; 2015-01-07 at 17:22.
Kamijou_Touma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-07, 16:55   Link #458
Fizix
Nitpicking

Lol that pic is kinda true, well I've never encountered one or two of them, I hope. :-/
Old 2015-01-07, 17:54   Link #459
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamijou_Touma View Post
Haha, LMAO
Old 2015-01-07, 21:40   Link #460
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

just so you know i'm the guy behind the guy doin the solo invis drum solo.

Tags
memories, q&a