1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-07-20, 13:09   Link #61
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Even if he wasn't lying, all he said was that he was limited to 5-step spells, not that he only had five spells.
The limit is based on "natural" casting, flash casting has no boundaries.
Old 2014-07-20, 13:20   Link #62
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

That was pretty great. I just watched 4 episodes yesterday and marathoned the rest up until episode 16 today...

I'm happy I stuck around to watch Mahouka. This does have some nice world-building and magic explanations. I will say that the show feels a bit disparate at times, but I feel like the atmosphere has become much better as the show has gone along, especially in the last few or so episodes.

This was pretty enjoyable for me, and this episode was definitely a 10/10 for me.

I haven't read the LN past volume 1 or so... so I guess I'll pick it up again after I finish the anime since I'm enjoying just watching it for now.
Old 2014-07-20, 14:46   Link #63
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Considering he has shown to use insanely high level spells, far more than just 5 or less sequences, his limitations is based on the standard activation of methods, the way everyone else does it. But with flash casting, he's much more capable. He also normally use customized high spec CADs, like the silver horn to speed up his natural casting.

Flash Casting is a different beast, that only one in a billion are capable of. It shouldn't be compared to standard casting.
What are you talking about, where have you gotten all this information? This certainly wasn't stated in the anime. And where has he shown more complex sequences when flash casting? He only used it for the finger-snapping sequence which can hardly be called complex.

Quote:
The limit is based on "natural" casting, flash casting has no boundaries.
Again I have no idea what you are talking about, what "natural" casting? In episode 5 he talked about casting while bypassing the activation sequence. Isn't this in essence what flash casting's all about?
Old 2014-07-20, 14:53   Link #64
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
What are you talking about, where have you gotten all this information? This certainly wasn't stated in the anime. And where has he shown more complex sequences when flash casting? He only used it for the finger-snapping sequence which can hardly be called complex.

Again I have no idea what you are talking about, what "natural" casting? In episode 5 he talked about casting while bypassing the activation sequence. Isn't this in essence what flash casting's all about?
That's the point of flash casting, or do you just not get the idea behind it? What part of bypassing activation sequences to instant cast don't you understand? It means he doesn't have to go through the process that you generally see when people are casting, those magic circles that form around their arms.
Old 2014-07-20, 14:55   Link #65
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
That's the point of flash casting, or do you just not get the idea behind it? What part of bypassing activation sequences to instant cast don't you understand? It means he doesn't have to go through the process that you generally see when people are casting, those magic circles that form around their arms.
And why are you ignoring the fact that he basically explained the principle of flash casting in episode 5 while declaring that he is limited to 5 functions while doing that, instead saying something about he is able to do some incredibly complex spells using flash casting, something that was neither mentioned, nor implied in this episode? The only thing stated about flash casting in this episode was the sheer speed behind it.

I have the feeling you are not really reading my post. Or why do you accuse me of not understanding bypassing activation sequences when I have mentioned it myself in my post?
Old 2014-07-20, 17:00   Link #66
HanaChie
花千枝<3!

I'm just happy that for once Leo stole the spotlight. I find myself watching this anime only for his appearance (and interactions with Erika, but there seem to be almost none lol).
Old 2014-07-20, 17:15   Link #67
Ickarium

Anyone notice what Leo said? He took a head-on hit from a motorcycle /without fortifying himself/ and only broke a rib or two. That makes him pretty badass.
Old 2014-07-20, 17:49   Link #68
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
And why are you ignoring the fact that he basically explained the principle of flash casting in episode 5 while declaring that he is limited to 5 functions while doing that, instead saying something about he is able to do some incredibly complex spells using flash casting, something that was neither mentioned, nor implied in this episode? The only thing stated about flash casting in this episode was the sheer speed behind it.

I have the feeling you are not really reading my post. Or why do you accuse me of not understanding bypassing activation sequences when I have mentioned it myself in my post?
No he didn't, Flash Casting wasn't even brought up until he met with the officers fairly recently. Not to mention, he always tries to weasel his way out of being discovered by his classmates.

His restoration spell for one, can be considered god level. Or you're trying to tell me that it's a basic one step magic that is simpler than moving an egg from one counter top to another? What about Gram Devastation? and so forth.
Old 2014-07-20, 18:05   Link #69
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

You know if Ichijo wasn't so focused on Tatsuya he wouldn't lost control of the spells and would've defeated Tatsuya right there.

While this one was good I liked the previous battles better.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2014-07-20, 22:06   Link #70
Ickarium

Well, no he wouldn't, as to bring Tatsuya down, he'd have to do enough damage to KO him instantly, which exceeds the damage requirement. Basically, if we take Tatsuya's regen at face value, you can defeat him two ways in a fight:

1) KO him with overwhelming force. Does his regen make him wake up? We don't know.
2) Hit him with such force that he dies instantly, as I doubt his regen power raises the dead. The near dead, yes, if the initial OP is to be believed, but I doubt he is literally Jesus, no matter how much people like to joke in this thread.
Old 2014-07-20, 23:48   Link #71
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
No he didn't, Flash Casting wasn't even brought up until he met with the officers fairly recently. Not to mention, he always tries to weasel his way out of being discovered by his classmates.
No, the term flash casting wasn't brought up. However, in his conversation with Mizuki at the beginning of episode 5 he described his ability to cast magic while bypassing activation sequences. Sound familiar? Go check it yourself if you don't believe me.

Quote:
His restoration spell for one, can be considered god level. Or you're trying to tell me that it's a basic one step magic that is simpler than moving an egg from one counter top to another? What about Gram Devastation? and so forth.
His restoration wasn't exactly flash casting, it seems to be an entirely different thing. Why else would Fujibayashi and the other guy discuss it independently from flash casting? Also, his restoration was shown in episode 3 and activated while he was unconcious. So it is more an automatic spell, rather than a conciously casted one. And where do you get the idea that Gram Demolition was flash casted? Did you not see him using his CAD all the time while using the spell? And Gram Demolition actually is a pretty straightforward spell. It is created by compressing psions and shooting it towards the target. That's like... two functions. While moving an egg requires four functions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
You know if Ichijo wasn't so focused on Tatsuya he wouldn't lost control of the spells and would've defeated Tatsuya right there.
Ironically he lost control because he didn't pay attention to Tatsuya for a moment while saving Kichijouji.
Old 2014-07-21, 00:33   Link #72
CatRules
Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarium View Post
Well, no he wouldn't, as to bring Tatsuya down, he'd have to do enough damage to KO him instantly, which exceeds the damage requirement. Basically, if we take Tatsuya's regen at face value, you can defeat him two ways in a fight:

1) KO him with overwhelming force. Does his regen make him wake up? We don't know.
2) Hit him with such force that he dies instantly, as I doubt his regen power raises the dead. The near dead, yes, if the initial OP is to be believed, but I doubt he is literally Jesus, no matter how much people like to joke in this thread.
wait!? why does he have to do that? It's just a game, right? Should they really try to kill each other?

And didn't Tatsuya already said if his secret magic will be revealed he will accept defeat and withdraw from the match?
Old 2014-07-21, 01:57   Link #73
Ickarium

Well, no, they shouldn't really try to kill each other.

But Tatsuya's self-regen means that it's really, really, really hard to knock him down permanently. Any damage below a certain point is instantly healed. So ... the only way to 'beat' him in a physical confrontation is that way really. Though, thinking about it, mental effects would work too, they're rare but possible, old dude did a 'mental effect' of sorts, and Mayumi mentioned briefly that Azusa can do something too.
Old 2014-07-21, 03:47   Link #74
renuac

Quote:

We do actually since this is exactly what it did back when Miyuki knocked him out with psion waves ^^
Old 2014-07-21, 04:40   Link #75
zerozeronine

Quote:

Tatuysa can't do complex spells (more than 5 processes) aside from his inborn magics even with Flashcast,he is a BS magician,he can freely use his inborn magics as seen through out the anime but he never used normal magics that is more than 5 processes again seen in the anime.Gram Demolition (the one that he used against Masaki's shots) can't be considered as magic as it's just a psion cannonball that blows away activation and magic sequences.
Old 2014-07-21, 06:33   Link #76
kyuudere

Old 2014-07-21, 08:12   Link #77
Echizen777

Quote:

1) Tatsuya would have faked to be KO in this case IMO. In the end he won because Masaki was confused after using too much power by error. Mikihiko was surprised to see Leo waking up after one of his attack, it would be like revealing that he has a self restoring magic to continuously wake up after receiving his attacks. See how Mayumi noticed something was odd when he came out unscathed.
Old 2014-07-21, 10:37   Link #78
VORTIA

I'm beginning to feel that the one major mistake of this adaptation is that Tatsuya's powers and limitations weren't in some way spelled out from the get-go. His powers and their limitations are all pretty well spelled out in the light novels, but whenever I read anime-only threads it seems a lot of people seem to feel the author's inventing powers for him on the fly so he always on top. I know that's absolutely not the case, but I can see how someone who is only watching the anime may get that impression by the way Tatsuya's abilities go unmentioned in the anime until he needs to use them.
Old 2014-07-22, 14:42   Link #79
Nerroth
NePoi!

Quote:
I'm beginning to feel that the one major mistake of this adaptation is that Tatsuya's powers and limitations weren't in some way spelled out from the get-go. His powers and their limitations are all pretty well spelled out in the light novels, but whenever I read anime-only threads it seems a lot of people seem to feel the author's inventing powers for him on the fly so he always on top. I know that's absolutely not the case, but I can see how someone who is only watching the anime may get that impression by the way Tatsuya's abilities go unmentioned in the anime until he needs to use them.
I wonder if that is something that might work better in the Out of Order game. Perhaps there, you could have a separate set of menus featuring the playable characters and describing their respective capabilities, so as not to clog up too much space in the story dialogue with repeating the same information.

But, we'll have to see what Bamco have planned for that game in this regard.

(At least the anime has those short YouTube clips providing a certain degree of background information, brief though they may be.)
Old 2014-07-22, 14:47   Link #80
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTIA View Post
Actually, I don't think you are correct, at least in terms of this episode. The self-restoration ability was shown in episode 3, while the basics for flash casting (the bypassing of the activation sequence) was described in episode 5. As long as the viewer pays attention and keeps them in mind he won't get all surprised by what happened in this episode. And if he didn't pay attention or forgot about it ... spelling it any clearer won't achieve any desired effect, unless it is shown that clearly that it robs much of the potential for development. Who wants to see a character that is basically finished at the start of the show?