Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2019-12-08, 16:49   Link #201
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for Ressurection of L:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Maybe we can move this to the Code Geass section?

Also watched the movie over the weekend in the theater. I really enjoyed it. I haven't watched R2 since it stopped airing, so seeing all the characters again was nice. I do recommend watching the recap movies since this movie follows the events that apparently transpired in those.

Spoiler:

I'm so glad that there will be another decade of Code Geass projects.
The Knights of Rounds were all killed besides Gino and Anya, same as the TV series (actually not sure whether Gino survived in the TV series). The ones we saw in the picture were new characters. Or maybe there were some that never showed up in the movies and I've forgotten about.
Old 2019-12-09, 05:18   Link #202
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

It's good movie... But yeah... That's just it.
But if I have to compare this to TV series. TV series definitely 100 times better.
Old 2019-12-10, 20:00   Link #203
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Just watched it. I don't get why they changed so many things. George Lucas looks subtle in comparison with how he changed Star Wars in the Special Edition.

Still, I'm pretty sure Sunrise didn't care about season 2 considering how already by the fifth minute of the movie we see Lelouch, Suzaku and Nunally being taken by terrorists. It feels like Sunrise made it for people who have just finished the series considering they throw a lot of subplots from season 2 that were never fully developed and thus the early exposition was bit convoluted.

Despite being the title character, Lelouch didn't feel like the main character but instead C.C as she finally gets more development rather than getting over Lelouch's death in a church. The animation was neat, especially when the white and red mechas appeared in the climax as we could see colors standing out nicely in the night.
Old 2019-12-10, 22:16   Link #204
bakato

If this is an attempt to open a door to new Code Geass seasons with Lelouche again, then I think it succeeded.
Old 2019-12-10, 22:33   Link #205
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

My first post in almost 3 months. Been hella busy lately... Adulting is hard...

I quite literally finished watching the movie 5 or so mins ago and well, there's no way I couldn't not express my thoughts and opinions on the movie.

Firstly, the entire purpose of this movie was to provide fanservice to anyone that absolutely adores Code Geass. It was also used to lay the foundations for any future projects as Code Geass isn't Code Geass without Lelouch, now is it? And what better way is there to lay the foundations for such projects than making the guy (implied) immortal thereby ensuring that he'll always exist within the Code Geass universe no matter the place or time.

Now, I'm not gonna sit here and say the movie was perfect, because it certainly wasn't. There were some noticeable problems with it that shouldn't be overlooked. Nevertheless, it was still a pretty enjoyable watch for the most part and shouldn't disappoint anyone who even remotely considers themselves a Code Geass fan.

As for my problems with the movie, I found that developments/conflicts were presented/resolved a bit too fast, but then again, that can be attributed to the constraints of the movie's roughly 2 hr run time.

Another issue I had was how easily forgiving everyone was and were even willing to welcome Lelouch back afterwards. Suzaku's (especially his initial reaction), Kallen's and to a lesser extent Lloyd's, Cecile's and Sayoko's initial reactions and subsequent actions following that makes sense, but as for everyone else, nope. They don't get a free pass. It was hard suspending my disbelief with regard to everyone else's reactions. For example: First Cornelia be like, "turn back or die here" and "why should I help you when you killed Euphie and Darlton", then 10 mins later she be like "that's my little bro right there."

My other gripe with the movie was how generic the antagonists seemed in comparison to prior antagonists like Charles and Schneizel. They weren't the worst antagonists ever, but they were ok at best. You just had this thought of "when's Lelouch gonna crush them" floating around in the back of your head all movie because of how bland they were. It was extremely satisfying to see that little shit of a siscon get btfo by Suzaku tho. Every sentence this guy utters has something to do with his sister...

For all the heated debates that I got into concerning the Code Theory all those months ago, I'm pretty sure the only thing they didn't outright do in the movie was blatantly confirm that Lelouch's resurrection was based on the "Code Theory". Most of the basic details match up with what fans have been predicting for over a decade now, but some people were really adamant in insisting that what they were saying was gospel... Sigh

Let's see:

-Receives code from Charles? Check. (albeit in an incomplete state)
-Needs to die for said code to activate? Check. (because of the aforementioned incompleteness, he's still able to use geass despite having a code)
-Now this last part is me speculating here since we have nothing to go off of, but I'm guessing that at some point, Lelouch does complete his code. (If the final scene of the movie after the credits is any indicator)

They were even kind enough to provide explanations (admittedly, not very good ones, but still explanations nonetheless) for why the code was incomplete and why Lelouch's consciousness was separate from and didn't automatically reunite with his body. Charles' residual desires and attachments were quite literally blocking Lelouch from accessing his consciousness. Anyway, before I start going off on a massive tangent concerning the Code Theory, I'll leave it at that. But, I'll say this; now that I've seen the movie with my own eyes and don't need to rely on any secondhand info to piece things together, there's nothing no one can say to change my mind otherwise. Should've done that from the get go. It would've saved me a lot of time and effort all those months ago.

As for shipping, Lelou x C.C. finally set sail and it's about damn time!!! What more could I ask for? Back in the day, I also loved the idea of the Kallen ship, but if anyone were to ask me which girl I truly shipped him with, then I'd almost always go with C.C. and I was beyond satisfied to see her finally get her happy ending. She deserves it for all the bullets she's literally taken for him and being his babysitter for a year.

Well, that about wraps up my thoughts on the movie. Honestly, there's more I'd like to say, but I can't be bothered to type out an additional 2-4 paragraphs of text, so I chose to omit them and focused on the material that I absolutely wanted to touch on.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-11, 08:11   Link #206
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Lelouch will probably always be a supporting character but I don't think he'll come back as the main, given what they said in interviews (I don't have them on hand, sorry) and the fact his story is pretty much concluded.
Old 2019-12-11, 21:40   Link #207
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK-95- View Post
My first post in almost 3 months. Been hella busy lately... Adulting is hard...

I quite literally finished watching the movie 5 or so mins ago and well, there's no way I couldn't not express my thoughts and opinions on the movie.

Firstly, the entire purpose of this movie was to provide fanservice to anyone that absolutely adores Code Geass. It was also used to lay the foundations for any future projects as Code Geass isn't Code Geass without Lelouch, now is it? And what better way is there to lay the foundations for such projects than making the guy (implied) immortal thereby ensuring that he'll always exist within the Code Geass universe no matter the place or time.

Now, I'm not gonna sit here and say the movie was perfect, because it certainly wasn't. There were some noticeable problems with it that shouldn't be overlooked. Nevertheless, it was still a pretty enjoyable watch for the most part and shouldn't disappoint anyone who even remotely considers themselves a Code Geass fan.

As for my problems with the movie, I found that developments/conflicts were presented/resolved a bit too fast, but then again, that can be attributed to the constraints of the movie's roughly 2 hr run time.

Another issue I had was how easily forgiving everyone was and were even willing to welcome Lelouch back afterwards. Suzaku's (especially his initial reaction), Kallen's and to a lesser extent Lloyd's, Cecile's and Sayoko's initial reactions and subsequent actions following that makes sense, but as for everyone else, nope. They don't get a free pass. It was hard suspending my disbelief with regard to everyone else's reactions. For example: First Cornelia be like, "turn back or die here" and "why should I help you when you killed Euphie and Darlton", then 10 mins later she be like "that's my little bro right there."

My other gripe with the movie was how generic the antagonists seemed in comparison to prior antagonists like Charles and Schneizel. They weren't the worst antagonists ever, but they were ok at best. You just had this thought of "when's Lelouch gonna crush them" floating around in the back of your head all movie because of how bland they were. It was extremely satisfying to see that little shit of a siscon get btfo by Suzaku tho. Every sentence this guy utters has something to do with his sister...

For all the heated debates that I got into concerning the Code Theory all those months ago, I'm pretty sure the only thing they didn't outright do in the movie was blatantly confirm that Lelouch's resurrection was based on the "Code Theory". Most of the basic details match up with what fans have been predicting for over a decade now, but some people were really adamant in insisting that what they were saying was gospel... Sigh

Let's see:

-Receives code from Charles? Check. (albeit in an incomplete state)
-Needs to die for said code to activate? Check. (because of the aforementioned incompleteness, he's still able to use geass despite having a code)
-Now this last part is me speculating here since we have nothing to go off of, but I'm guessing that at some point, Lelouch does complete his code. (If the final scene of the movie after the credits is any indicator)

They were even kind enough to provide explanations (admittedly, not very good ones, but still explanations nonetheless) for why the code was incomplete and why Lelouch's consciousness was separate from and didn't automatically reunite with his body. Charles' residual desires and attachments were quite literally blocking Lelouch from accessing his consciousness. Anyway, before I start going off on a massive tangent concerning the Code Theory, I'll leave it at that. But, I'll say this; now that I've seen the movie with my own eyes and don't need to rely on any secondhand info to piece things together, there's nothing no one can say to change my mind otherwise. Should've done that from the get go. It would've saved me a lot of time and effort all those months ago.

As for shipping, Lelou x C.C. finally set sail and it's about damn time!!! What more could I ask for? Back in the day, I also loved the idea of the Kallen ship, but if anyone were to ask me which girl I truly shipped him with, then I'd almost always go with C.C. and I was beyond satisfied to see her finally get her happy ending. She deserves it for all the bullets she's literally taken for him and being his babysitter for a year.

Well, that about wraps up my thoughts on the movie. Honestly, there's more I'd like to say, but I can't be bothered to type out an additional 2-4 paragraphs of text, so I chose to omit them and focused on the material that I absolutely wanted to touch on.
While the antagonists didn't get as much development as I'd liked, I found their motivations convincing enough and Shamna's showdown with Lelouche was particularly great as it showcased his growth from the anime series.

I don't know why you'd think everyone would still be pissed. It's been a whole year and their anger at Lelouche was in part due to misunderstanding his motives, which was cleared with his death at the end of the Zero Requiem.
Old 2019-12-12, 03:20   Link #208
Sparteh

I will be honest here. Original Code Geass series is still my favorite anime ever. In the beginning when I heard about this sequel thing, I expected for it to completely ruin the ending of series. Even now I think that recap movies was just a cheap cash grab while abusing fans nostalgia.
Though this movie wasn't as bad as I have expected. In fact it was quite fun. Maybe because I have seen tons of theories and fanficts and this movies was 100% that.
Anyway, I am just happy that my first ever anime ship has officially sailed.
Sparteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-12, 14:48   Link #209
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
While the antagonists didn't get as much development as I'd liked, I found their motivations convincing enough and Shamna's showdown with Lelouche was particularly great as it showcased his growth from the anime series.

I don't know why you'd think everyone would still be pissed. It's been a whole year and their anger at Lelouche was in part due to misunderstanding his motives, which was cleared with his death at the end of the Zero Requiem.
Shanma vs Lelouch was just about the only worthwhile highlight from the antagonist's side imo. By forcing her hand and making her repeat multiple loops, he (with C.C. acting as record keeper) ultimately figured out that the enemy was up to some time manipulation shenanigans, the activation conditions and limits of the ability. Everyone else from the antagonist side was just there to fill space so to speak. That's what my beef with them is.

As for why I had a problem with everyone readily accepting Lelouch back; Regardless of whether they learned his true intentions later or not, some characters did have justified grudges against him for multiple reasons. Cornelia being one such example. While somewhat hostile upon reuniting, by the time we're halfway into the movie's final act, when speaking about Lelouch, there's a certain fondness to her voice which gives off an impression that went something like "that's my little bro right there". I'm not saying that it affected my ability to enjoy the movie, all I'm saying is that I found it a little unbelievable and it did somewhat affect immersion if you were paying attention to it.

I absolutely loved Suzaku's initial reaction tho. It was the most organic reaction imo. Kallen's was good too, but she definitely didn't top Suzaku.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-12, 21:56   Link #210
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK-95- View Post
Shanma vs Lelouch was just about the only worthwhile highlight from the antagonist's side imo. By forcing her hand and making her repeat multiple loops, he (with C.C. acting as record keeper) ultimately figured out that the enemy was up to some time manipulation shenanigans, the activation conditions and limits of the ability. Everyone else from the antagonist side was just there to fill space so to speak. That's what my beef with them is.

As for why I had a problem with everyone readily accepting Lelouch back; Regardless of whether they learned his true intentions later or not, some characters did have justified grudges against him for multiple reasons. Cornelia being one such example. While somewhat hostile upon reuniting, by the time we're halfway into the movie's final act, when speaking about Lelouch, there's a certain fondness to her voice which gives off an impression that went something like "that's my little bro right there". I'm not saying that it affected my ability to enjoy the movie, all I'm saying is that I found it a little unbelievable and it did somewhat affect immersion if you were paying attention to it.

I absolutely loved Suzaku's initial reaction tho. It was the most organic reaction imo. Kallen's was good too, but she definitely didn't top Suzaku.
If Suzaku could bring himself to forgive Lelouche for killing Euphy, the why couldn't Cornelia? While she didn't get much spotlight, her world had undergone gone severe changes with her disillusionment of Britannia after Euphy's death and she's made her share of mistakes like siding with Schneizel. Her initial reaction to seeing Lelouche again was more of justified suspicion as to his motives, which is understandable and totally in character as someone who's dedicated herself to upholding peace in the new world.
Old 2019-12-19, 00:50   Link #211
darthfury78

Would it had been a better idea for Lelouch of the Resurrection to be made into a TV series instead of a movie? It might had made for a better pace development. I was hoping for a TV series instead of a movie.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-19, 02:42   Link #212
B214

A TV series could end up too long though. Maybe a 2 film story. But no point discussing it now for me.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-02, 02:46   Link #213
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by B214 View Post
A TV series could end up too long though. Maybe a 2 film story. But no point discussing it now for me.
Another TV series might be quite long. Although, I doubt it would be as long as One Piece. Just kidding. What I would love to see is Code Geass: Oz The Reflection made into an anime series.

What would also be a cool idea is a Code Geass series that centers on a young Charles and V.V, which would be an interesting story...

Then again, a series that features L.L. and C.C. is the likest outcome:

Last edited by darthfury78; 2020-01-03 at 16:37.
Old 2020-01-03, 19:29   Link #214
Galaxian

Finally saw the movie and I honestly really liked it. In fact, I can easily take this ending over the original.

I think that since they made it so it was C.C. wish to bring Lelouch back instead of it being part of the plan all along, the original ending to the Zero Requiem is not cheapen. Lelouch did go through with his own death in order to bring peace.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-03, 22:54   Link #215
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Finally saw the movie and I honestly really liked it. In fact, I can easily take this ending over the original.

I think that since they made it so it was C.C. wish to bring Lelouch back instead of it being part of the plan all along, the original ending to the Zero Requiem is not cheapen. Lelouch did go through with his own death in order to bring peace.
Galaxian: I am glad that you enjoyed the movie. Do you feel that Lelouch of the Resurrection might had been better as a TV series? It might had provided a better pace to the story, in my opinion.
Old 2020-01-11, 19:03   Link #216
darkplatform

Heard everywhere its nothing more than a stupid fanfiction.

Glad to heard it before spending any money i guess.
darkplatform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-11, 23:51   Link #217
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfury78 View Post
Galaxian: I am glad that you enjoyed the movie. Do you feel that Lelouch of the Resurrection might had been better as a TV series? It might had provided a better pace to the story, in my opinion.
I honestly don't think this story would have worked as an entire season unless some very drastic changes were done. As is, the movie feels a bit padded in places.

By the way, does anyone know if the picture drama that came with the home release is supposed to be considered canon? Because if so then Lelouch is confirmed to have at least some degree of immortality.
Old 2020-01-12, 08:18   Link #218
Dextro
He Without a Title

Wasn't the fact that Lelouche has some degree of immortality basically confirmed in the movie proper? I mean that's how C.C. justifies him still being around and the ending of the movie also seems to imply that.
Old 2020-01-12, 08:23   Link #219
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
I honestly don't think this story would have worked as an entire season unless some very drastic changes were done. As is, the movie feels a bit padded in places.

By the way, does anyone know if the picture drama that came with the home release is supposed to be considered canon? Because if so then Lelouch is confirmed to have at least some degree of immortality.
Picture Drama is canon to series; Kiseki no Birthday ones is fanservice but with some after story material that also canon to series (Nunnally as new Brittania ruler, Kallen working part time as test pilot, Suzaku living live as Zero), think of it like some kind of inside dream event.

Movie is on its own universe built by the recap movies released beforehand;

I think Taniguchi doing so because he's tired people prefer Lelouch to be alive while he envisioned the result as "fair punishment" to both Lelouch (who wanted to live) and Suzaku (who wanted to die) being source of all conflicts. So aside of milking, it also help him shut those people and enjoy any possible Lelouch cameo; its not like he can do anything about it as Akito proven how Lelouch and Suzaku presence provide hype boost its difficult to not use them, unlike UC Gundam spin-off that can live without Char and Amuro.
Old 2020-01-12, 09:50   Link #220
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Wasn't the fact that Lelouche has some degree of immortality basically confirmed in the movie proper? I mean that's how C.C. justifies him still being around and the ending of the movie also seems to imply that.
The movie remarks that they don't know how Lelouch's code works and that, for all they know, he could be gone by the next day. The movie ends without them clarifying what he is now.