AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-02-09, 20:35   Link #1
toru310

Reformatting pc need info in moving bookmarks

HI, I'll be reformatting my pc and I was wondering if I can retain my bookmarks in mozilla. I know how I can keep the bookmark but I don't know how to apply it on the new formatted pc. Any ideas? thanks
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 04:14   Link #2
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

when you download, reinstall firefox and lanuch it, an automatic screen will come up that will ask you do you wish to import bookmarks, check the 2nd option (not internet explorer) and find the file image that has all your saved bookmarks. all done.

I am assuming when you say u know how to retain them you mean you know how to export.

click on bookmarks organize books marks, file, export.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 06:44   Link #3
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
when you download, reinstall firefox and lanuch it, an automatic screen will come up that will ask you do you wish to import bookmarks, check the 2nd option (not internet explorer) and find the file image that has all your saved bookmarks. all done.

I am assuming when you say u know how to retain them you mean you know how to export.

click on bookmarks organize books marks, file, export.
I see thanks alot...also the file image that you speak of is the mozilla document right? located in documents and settings(with show hidden items enabled)?
Old 2008-02-10, 06:44   Link #4
martino
makes no files now

Try MozBackUp.
Old 2008-02-10, 06:48   Link #5
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Try MozBackUp.
Never heard of it but I'll give it a try. thanks

edit: what does the mozilla bookmark file look like? I'm not sure if its the bookmarks files in C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\9lmdp8ok.default????
Old 2008-02-10, 07:58   Link #6
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migufuchi Fusutsu View Post
Never heard of it but I'll give it a try. thanks

edit: what does the mozilla bookmark file look like? I'm not sure if its the bookmarks files in C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\9lmdp8ok.default????
It's just a bookmarks.html is I recall correctly. So if you find it, open it in a text editor and see if your links are there, backup the file somewhere, and when you have everything back just copy the file over to your Mozilla account folder.
Old 2008-02-10, 08:22   Link #7
toru310

Quote:
It's just a bookmarks.html is I recall correctly. So if you find it, open it in a text editor and see if your links are there, backup the file somewhere, and when you have everything back just copy the file over to your Mozilla account folder.
Thanks problem solved...

Side topic how can I boot to safe mode?
Old 2008-02-10, 08:39   Link #8
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Thanks problem solved...

Side topic how can I boot to safe mode?
You press F8 during bootup which makes a choice appear, before the Windows logo with the progress bar appears. So when you just turn on your computer keep pressing F8 just to be sure.
Old 2008-02-10, 09:02   Link #9
toru310

Quote:
You press F8 during bootup which makes a choice appear, before the Windows logo with the progress bar appears. So when you just turn on your computer keep pressing F8 just to be sure.
Ah thanks...

Oh yeah can you install some programs even in safe mode?
Old 2008-02-10, 10:02   Link #10
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Ah thanks...

Oh yeah can you install some programs even in safe mode?
I don't see a reason why you shouldn't, however problems might arise, si personally I wouldn't attempt to do so...

I reckon it might be quite program specific, depending on what system resource the installation procedure might require.
Old 2008-02-16, 06:32   Link #11
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Have you tried Foxmarks? That Firefox plugin saves your bookmarks on a central server and it can be used to synchronize them with different PCs or just for backup purposes.
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 06:14   Link #12
toru310

Sorry for bringing this back to life but I did the reformat and well I decided to use MozBackUp but I don't know use it to reuse my bookmark...I have the bookmark file its the a mozilla file, if you click it you can see all the bookmarks but you can't but it in bookmarks...
Old 2008-03-09, 14:44   Link #13
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Is it that bookmarks.html? Go to Bookmarks > Bookmarks Manager. In there, File > Import, grab your bookmarks.html.

If not, I guess you want to use MozBackUp to move everything back. I personally see no reason why to use that when the browser has an export function already.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 08:56   Link #14
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Is it that bookmarks.html? Go to Bookmarks > Bookmarks Manager. In there, File > Import, grab your bookmarks.html.

If not, I guess you want to use MozBackUp to move everything back. I personally see no reason why to use that when the browser has an export function already.
Sorry I was suppose to edit my message since I manage to figure it out...thanks anyways