AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2020-03-13, 22:54   Link #61
Key Board
Carbon

I suspect it was nationalism or greed that caused the US to reject the initial Chinese/German developed WHO kits.
And that caused a delay in response.

edit:

HR6201

It includes free corona virus testing
paid 2 week sick leave
food assistance

it goes to the Senate now.

We'll see if Americans and their politicians care more about slowing the infection rate or is just content with blaming China for everything.

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2020-03-13 at 23:54.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-14, 01:13   Link #62
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
If you haven't already forgotten, it was China that shut down city of Wuhan and jumped the gun to build a few make shifts hospital when no one was aware of anything. I would say they knew quite well about the virus they were dealing with. And this panicked reaction together with their total secrecy set off the domino effect until now. People fear of what they don't know.
Of course they knew. They are on edge when it comes to coronaviruses ever since SARS and the way which Wuhan's healthcare system collapsed is enough to cause anyone to lockdown the whole province. They keep quiet to the detriment of everyone in their country and the world at large because it's the CCP......their habits demand they try to sweep everything under the rug until it explodes.

However that is still a very different thing from claiming this is a human engineered bioweapon or other baseless claims that inevitably follow whenever anyone says it's a lab leak.

You realize that this is at the core, a technical issue of medical science yes? Accuracy is important when it comes to such things. Political nonsense from all nations have screwed enough people already and the most nonsensical are these conspiracy theories which help no one

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2020-03-14 at 01:41.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-14, 01:19   Link #63
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Wait, there are really people that believe this is some Chinese-made virus from a lab leak or whatever?
Is this the part where they also say that the Democrats are working with the Chinese to harm the Naz... I mean, Trump party?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-14, 01:34   Link #64
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw View Post
The Chinese response to CoVid-19 has nothing to do with conspiracy theories about specific knowledge of the virus in question, especially since research papers about potential Coronavirus infections by bat reservoirs were already being discussed in various virology journals, of which also explained why bats would be a cause for concern for infectious diseases.

Here is an article from Nature (2017) discussing such issues:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-01513-w

I still cannot fathom why after 17 years since the first SARS epidemic, the CCP who cracks down on everything that offends them, from religion to pop culture, cannot crack down successfully on their people eating things that obviously should not go in the mouth. It's not even an ingrained part of Chinese culture FFS, just some weird 19-20th century fad
Old 2020-03-14, 01:42   Link #65
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Got sent this today. I won't even bother translating it because it speaks for itself. Just read the last panel.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-14, 05:37   Link #66
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I just didn't like China's response since they didn't step in when Public Security warned the whistleblower not to say anything in Wuhan last December.

AFAIK for the MM community lockdown (DDS supporters will insist on this term, not me), life goes on until 8 PM. But I'm hearing contradicting news that there's no curfew.

Then WTF were people showing off in FB of photos of Marines and Simba APCs moving in?

My dad's a critic of the supposed quarantine too. Mom's resting due to a bad stomach and we're figuring out on the groceries in the next few weeks.

When I think about it, I don't know if I should be lucky that my older two bros are in Canada/US and I'm stuck here without a paying job.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-14, 07:02   Link #67
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Wait, there are really people that believe this is some Chinese-made virus from a lab leak or whatever?
Oh, yes, that's a common view among the xenophobic right. For a supposed bioweapon it's not very lethal.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-14, 07:20   Link #68
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae

How the AFP will handle manning the checkpoints in Metro Manila with the PNP.

----
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Oh, yes, that's a common view among the xenophobic right. For a supposed bioweapon it's not very lethal.
Yep. Same as the reverse. There's a Bangladeshi political scientist who shared a tweet that suggests that the US is responsible for the outbreak. Heck, there's an online journal that even suggests it.

I'll have to look for it.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-14, 10:23   Link #69
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Yep. Same as the reverse. There's a Bangladeshi political scientist who shared a tweet that suggests that the US is responsible for the outbreak. Heck, there's an online journal that even suggests it.

I'll have to look for it.
Probably a retweet of the Chinese conspiracy theory (seemingly endorsed by some high officials) that it was US Army guests in China (for some military competition) that were the source of the outbreak.

If you don't want to shoulder the blame, just pin it on someone else.

EDIT: for the record, it was a foreign affairs spokesperson, Zhao Lijian, who publicly insinuated that the coronavirus must have come from one of the 300 US Army athletes who participated in Wuhan's 7th Military World Games, in October 2019.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2020-03-14 at 10:47.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-14, 11:52   Link #70
Psyco Diver

Quote:
It's funny, the extreme right is saying get right with God while the extreme left is claiming Trump engineered this stay in power, my Facebook feed had become interesting to say the least

That said a bioweapon that doesn't kill but scares a populace is just as powerful if not more than one that kills, a scared people is a people that is easily controlled.

I don't think that's the case but I would not be surprised if some politicians and leaders take advantage of this situation for their own good
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-14, 11:54   Link #71
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Of course they knew. They are on edge when it comes to coronaviruses ever since SARS and the way which Wuhan's healthcare system collapsed is enough to cause anyone to lockdown the whole province. They keep quiet to the detriment of everyone in their country and the world at large because it's the CCP......their habits demand they try to sweep everything under the rug until it explodes.

However that is still a very different thing from claiming this is a human engineered bioweapon or other baseless claims that inevitably follow whenever anyone says it's a lab leak.

You realize that this is at the core, a technical issue of medical science yes? Accuracy is important when it comes to such things. Political nonsense from all nations have screwed enough people already and the most nonsensical are these conspiracy theories which help no one
At this point the only option is to pick a theory of the origin of the virus. Hard evidences are destroyed and there is no access to the source. You can choose to believe whatever China says. They do have a few versions started with the wet market then after that was proven false they moved to the theory someone who worked at Wuhan lab got contaminated from a specimen. I thought I saw a fleeting moment when that was on weibo hot search. Then now China lays the blame on the US. I'm pretty sure if the US wants to attack and destroys China, it would be more deadly and hitting Beijing and Shanghai at the same time. To me, it's not the question of whether the virus was from their lab but rather whether it was intentional or not.

If China has nothing to hide, why not let the international community verify. And people probably don't know many scientists have China's money in their pockets. It's not that China is afraid of losing face or fear that the international community sees them through. China's worst fear is the revolt from their own people. And I admit they have done a great job brainwashing the people hate the US. They're in complete control, psychologically and physically. For those who are currently cursing the US for being big brother, you eventually will find out how it is like when China is big brother after the US falls.

There is a lot of hysteria on social media/ media about the virus. I see drama on there then get on another normal day in real life. The contrast is interesting. The drive across state line is smooth because there was no traffic. Some people at Asian supermarkets are wearing masks. I have some masks from way back when but I'm not even using it yet. There's a stigma.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-14, 12:36   Link #72
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Covid-19 is about as deadly as the spanish flu. If a virus has a very high mortality rate, it would not be able to disseminate because the carriers will die before passing the virus to the next carrier.

The silver lining in all this is that any research on bioweapons (be it virus or bacterias) should be halted after this, since it is clear for anyone to see that this is the kind of weapon that has a boomerang effect, no one is safe.

What worries me the most is the possibility of further mutations, atm covid-19 has two strains, but it could return next autumn (which is what happened during the spanish flu pandemia a century ago) with a new strain for the which any immunity already in place i people that survived does not affects it.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-14, 12:56   Link #73
kari-no-sugata II

Good quick summary of the virus from an NHS doctor:
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-14, 13:30   Link #74
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Kim Iversen, a young journalist that I follow closely has release a "conspiracy theory" video on how possible it would be for this virus to actually be a biological weapon. I originally laughed at the notion, but when I finished watching it I ended up with some questions. I would like us to entertain the idea for a moment; but first here is the video:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2020-03-14, 13:33   Link #75
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
To me, it's not the question of whether the virus was from their lab but rather whether it was intentional or not.
I always think it's funny when random people behind a keyboard think they know more than internationally renowned scientists (and I'm not talking about Chinese ones) who insist that there is no evidence that SARS-CoV2 has been tampered with. But just keep your tinfoil hat of "Chinese-engineered bio weapon".
Old 2020-03-14, 13:55   Link #76
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

^ Well how about the video I just posted? This one claims it is an American biological weapon, and it uses pretty interesting evidence to connect the dots.
Old 2020-03-14, 14:49   Link #77
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
^ Well how about the video I just posted? This one claims it is an American biological weapon, and it uses pretty interesting evidence to connect the dots.
Absolute bull. The "evidence" presented is that Iran has ten thousand cases whereas the surrounding countries have significantly less which could have any number of reasons like not releasing numbers, having bad medical infrastructure, a high number of unrecognized patients and the list goes on. This is as far removed from scientific evidence as you can get.

She also cites some virologist that viruses were researched in Wuhan and thus the possibility exists that they could have manufactured the spread of covid-19 (among others). However she shows zero evidence to prove that claim thus it is pure speculation. "The possibility exists therefore it has to be true!". Just stop.

Here is some very basic advice: Listen to reputable scientists only.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-14, 15:24   Link #78
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Absolute bull. The "evidence" presented is that Iran has ten thousand cases whereas the surrounding countries have significantly less ..
BY Occam Razor, it is a lot more feasible that Israel acquired the virus from samples in Australia or other country where the virus spread to and then proceed to infect people returning to Iran than having the covid-19 being artificially manufactured by any country.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-14, 16:18   Link #79
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

The problem with using a biological weapon like this is it's very unpredictable and can backfire you badly.
No one will want to use something like this, unless they are very, very desperate.
But not even North Korea is that desperate.
Old 2020-03-14, 16:36   Link #80
Key Board
Carbon

Let's assume that yes, it was made in a lab and escaped.
Your government is still accountable in regards to how it handles the outbreak.

Right now there's 2 models that work according . The South Korean free government paid testing or China's enforced lockdown model.
So do something about it instead of just crying "boo hoo China"

And get Trump checked already.
He's probably a vector considering the infections surrounding him.

edit:

AOC claims that the original version of HR6201 covered sick paid leave for all, while the GOP edited version could potentially only cover businesses with under 50 employees.

source: https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1238903193641324545

FFS, America.

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2020-03-14 at 17:53.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote