AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-26, 12:09   Link #1
Shinobi
Ninjitsu Newbie

Best Gundam

Sorry to keep bombarding you guys here in this forum (thanks for all your help btw), but which Gundam series are your favorite? Those who don't like Gundam or other gigantic robot series need not reply.

I've heard so much about Gundam that I finally decided to watch a series. I picked out Gundam SEED cause it ranked #30 on animenfo and was the only gundam series that made it to the top #100 on that list. I'm at ep.22, and right now I'm really into the story, and although the repeated battle scenes kinda annoy me, I'm a big fan of the huge robot eye candy. If it turns out that SEED is the best gundam series in people's opinions, I'll probably refrain from watching other Gundam series so I don't get disappointed (except for GS destiny). thanks!
Old 2004-11-26, 12:34   Link #2
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I'd say go look for the OVAs first, they are the best IMO. 0080 War in Pocket, 08th MS Team and 0083 Stardust Memory, I like them in that order. For TV series, Z, V and Turn A are the best IMO. I liked G somewhat, but it's apparently disliked by many. Same goes to X.

BTW, I like ep1-39 of SEED, but dislike ep40-50.
Old 2004-11-26, 17:20   Link #3
EV|RockLee
Rock Lee PWNz

Send a message via AIM to EV|RockLee Send a message via MSN to EV|RockLee
I would hardly put seed near the top! AnimeNFO's list is popularity BS, plain and simple.

for me, Turn-A Gundam takes the spot of #1. However, to obtain it would require getting horribly subbed HKs, as the only "fansub" group doing it isn't really doing it. Also, i wouldn't reccoment Turn-A as a "starting" series, as it has quite a lot of refernces and tie-ins with every other AU (except for the one in SEED).

In second place, i have G Gundam. However, i wouldn't really suggest this either, because G Gundam is a super robot series, and you have to be tolerant of the amazing awesomeness which SR series provide. If you liked any of the following series;Shinkon Gattai Godannar, Yuusha-Oh Gaogaigar, Getter Robo, Getter Robo G, Getter Robo Go, Shin getter VS Neo getter, Shin Getter Robo 2004, Muteki Ou Tri-Zenon, Voltes V, Combattler V, Daimos, Yuusha Exkaiser, Taiyo no Yuusha Firebird, Densetsu no Yuusha Da Garn, Yuusha Tokkyuu Might Gaine, Yuusha Keisatsu J-Decker, Ogon Yuusha Goldran, Yuusha Shirei Dagwon, Yuusha-Oh GaoGaiGar Final , Ideon, Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, UFO Robo Grendaizer, Mazinkaizer, Shin Getter Robo: Armageddon, Gravion, Gekiganger 3, Muteki Choujin Zanbot 3, Muteki Kojin Daitarn 3 Yuusha Raideen, Gunbuster, then you should love G Gundam!!!!

In third place, I have Zeta Gundam. Bandai will release the boxset soon, and you can buy it at

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=BAN239100 !!

For Zeta, i would reccomend at least having seen MSG0079 (the original Gundam series) preceeding that, either the character development-heavy TV series, or the 3-Movie summarization (which is actually pretty good).

In 4th Place is the movie "Char's counterattack" which takes place after ZZ Gundam (the series which takes place after Zeta)

I haven't seen Victory, but considering how it's praised as one of the best, i would assume it's awesome. Wing and X are pretty good AUs, about as good as SEED at least. the OVAs are all very good as well, my favorite being Stardust Memory

Almost every gundam series is actually VERY good, and SEED is near the bottom in fact! Gundam SEED Destiny in a mere 6 episodes is far better than seed ever was! the only gundam series i would NOT reccomend are SD Gundam (some horrible CG + cliche after cliche in a parody of gundam =/= good for anyone over 8) and G Saviour (live action movie..nuff said)

If you find yourself liking the older Gundam Series and Turn-A Gundam, i HIGHLY suggest some of Tomino's other series such as Ideon (i haven't personally seen ANY of it, but i hear it's a really awesome show!), Yuusha Raideen (one of the most awesome SR shows from the 70s), Overman King Gainer (ownage) and Aura Battler Dunbine (OWNAGE)

Last edited by EV|RockLee; 2004-11-26 at 17:33.
Old 2004-11-26, 19:05   Link #4
Shinobi
Ninjitsu Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV|RockLee
If you liked any of the following series;Shinkon Gattai Godannar, Yuusha-Oh Gaogaigar, Getter Robo, Getter Robo G, Getter Robo Go, Shin getter VS Neo getter, Shin Getter Robo 2004, Muteki Ou Tri-Zenon, Voltes V, Combattler V, Daimos, Yuusha Exkaiser, Taiyo no Yuusha Firebird, Densetsu no Yuusha Da Garn, Yuusha Tokkyuu Might Gaine, Yuusha Keisatsu J-Decker, Ogon Yuusha Goldran, Yuusha Shirei Dagwon, Yuusha-Oh GaoGaiGar Final , Ideon, Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, UFO Robo Grendaizer, Mazinkaizer, Shin Getter Robo: Armageddon, Gravion, Gekiganger 3, Muteki Choujin Zanbot 3, Muteki Kojin Daitarn 3 Yuusha Raideen, Gunbuster, then you should love G Gundam!!!!
ROFL

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!
Old 2004-11-26, 22:38   Link #5
EV|RockLee
Rock Lee PWNz

BTW, Ideon is a show which is said to have inspired Neon Genesis Evangelion
Old 2004-11-26, 22:57   Link #6
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Wing doesn't even come close to SEED, G or X.

I'd recommend pretty much what he says. 8th MS Team, 0080 and 0083 are good ways to get into UC but I also recommend MSG, either the show or the compilation movies. Z is out soon.

My own favourite is Victory. The Victory Gundam is nice, Uso is awesome and the supporting cast and the development of the story is great. A somewhat lame super weapon though, but it does make you go "wtf?" when its purpose is explained.
Old 2004-11-26, 23:50   Link #7
EV|RockLee
Rock Lee PWNz

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
Wing doesn't even come close to SEED, G or X.
Seriously, Wing is TOO underated!
Old 2004-11-27, 05:19   Link #8
jay3k
KYO

How can u guys think 0080 is good ??? it's one of the worse gundam series ever made !! unless u guys like series with a little kid and a noobie pilot plus a sad ending !
gundam 0079 is a MUST watch gundam series !! even gundam seed copied so much plot and characters from gundam 0079 and gundam seed is almost like the remake of gundam 0079

i would say all the UC series r all good except gundam 0080

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
Z is out soon.
yeh man!!! cant wait until it comes out nxt yr!! it's a 3D gundam movie !!! ><
Old 2004-11-27, 06:01   Link #9
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

0080 is good because it's the best in portraying the horrors of war, from the perspective of a civilian that's far away from the main battle field. It may well be the smallest war ever presented in animes, but it still brings deep sadness and horror to the people involved.
Closed Thread