AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-05, 20:00   Link #61
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku
The BGM was amazing *__*
Old 2008-07-05, 20:23   Link #62
SilentTweak

Shouldn't someone move this thread to Aired? It's been aired for a while lol And the first episode was awesome
SilentTweak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 20:29   Link #63
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Not until someone subs it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 20:38   Link #64
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

subs are out
Seravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 22:54   Link #65
SilentTweak

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=68352

They've been out for a while
Old 2008-07-06, 00:04   Link #66
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well was a pretty nice first episode. Pace really is a shift from most series that I've been following. Still that doesn't take away from the quality of the series and should be an interesting ride. Maybe it isn't a good idea to watch late at night . Certainly was pretty noticeable with the background and the actual characters against it. Really enjoyed the ED for this one.
Old 2008-07-06, 03:39   Link #67
Jerseykid

I applaud them for trying to be different but the animation style is very difficult for me to deal with.
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 05:38   Link #68
Chrono Helix

Yeah, it's kinda strange how the backgrounds look so amazing, but the character art is... simplistic, to put it nicely.
Chrono Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 05:59   Link #69
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Wow. I'm sorry, but that episode was a total downer. I mean, it plays out like a slice of life show and a pretty boring one at that. I nearly fell asleep when the mother was lecturing. And the weird magic? I don't know where it's going and what it's doing in a slice of life story.

Also, WAY too much Rotoscoping. It's like they found out how to use rotoscoping techniques and went CRAZY with it. Like 99% of the scenes are static rotoscopes plus the horribly animated characters. Not to mention some scenes just place a wide-shot background and put pint-sized characters. Also in most scenes, they're speaking off-scene and you're only looking at the background. It's simply ridiculous. People bash companies like Gonzo for weird usage of animation, but this one tops the charts. I don't know how the heck Hal Film Makers went about to make this one. Apparently it's a Rotoscoping fan. Not to mention, it's still leagues behind Makoto Shinkai, because at least Shinkai makes the rotoscopes interesting by putting in wild colors and heavily stylizes them.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 06:37   Link #70
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
And the weird magic? I don't know where it's going and what it's doing in a slice of life story.
you do realise this is a SEQUEL series right?
Seravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 06:39   Link #71
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Yeah, but I never got around to the original. As a first impression, this show just feels off in so many ways. But again, mostly with the excessive use of static background. I mean, I'm used to seeing actual characters on-screen when they talk, you know?
Old 2008-07-06, 06:51   Link #72
Fevvers
a regular van veen

I haven't watched Someday's Dreamers so I didn't really have any expectations for this. I'm glad it doesn't disappoint. Err... At least not by much.

While watching the first episode, I couldn't get Beck-vibes out of my mind, and lo and behold, I find out the series is directed by Kobayashi. I dig, man, I dig. I love his laid-back direction in Beck and I certainly love it here. What I don't like though is the scripting (although, I can't say whether the fault lies with the original material or not), some dialogues seemed forced and just plain sappy. They're not too much that I get put off the whole episode, just some wee bit cringe-inducing moments there.

I’m also not too sold on Sora’s VA; what is it with the Japanese and their love for squeaky, childish, grating voices? It's neither cute, nor attractive, nor believable; what it is is annoying. This is why rarely do I like Japanese dubs nowadays. God.

I also find the blend of live-action backgrounds and cartoony characters quite jarring. Let's see if I get use to them in time.

Despite my complaints though, I still really enjoyed the episode. Gaah, what am I saying. I love Kobayashi. I’ll watch this for him alone.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 06:55   Link #73
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Heh, I almost have a total backwards opinion on that. Sora's voice was alright, but she talked too much. I liked her better as a near-mute in Sketchbook or in actual childish roles she did. As a teenage character who chatters, I do think she is pretty squeaky. As for the direction, I hope it gets tighter because it was almost too loose, even by Kobayashi's standards.
Old 2008-07-06, 08:25   Link #74
phishn37
Time to fly ~ !

Um, do you need to have watched the first series to understand this ~ ? I haven't, and I don't want to have to.
phishn37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 08:30   Link #75
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
I've just watched episode 1 subbed by Rumi. It's an average first episode, neither good nor bad. The backgrounds are amazing, I think the director wanted to emphasize this aspect, but he maybe higlighted it too much; they're too much static.
And while I enjoyed this kind of character design in Beck I don't like it here, it doesn't blend together with the background very well, though this is might be intentional.
I think the real story will start in the next episode, so i can't say too much. I just hope it will develop in a good way.
Old 2008-07-06, 09:24   Link #76
SilentTweak

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishn37 View Post
Um, do you need to have watched the first series to understand this ~ ? I haven't, and I don't want to have to.
From what I was told, this is a spin-off, so it's a stand-alone show. It has it's own story, and it non-related to the previous season.
Old 2008-07-06, 09:43   Link #77
ForeverGoNe
Inflammation

The backgrounds are very appealing. It's different from your conventional cg backdrops you find in other series. I like the approach that JC took for this and it seems that when it comes down to it, its a love or hate thing.
ForeverGoNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 09:50   Link #78
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Ugh... slice of life is, as usual, terribly boring for me without romance. Then again, I thought that original was boring until halfway through, so I'm giving this probably half a cour before I decide to drop it.

Artwork was nice, I'll give it that.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 10:57   Link #79
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Wow. I'm sorry, but that episode was a total downer. I mean, it plays out like a slice of life show and a pretty boring one at that. I nearly fell asleep when the mother was lecturing.
Well... then probably this series is not for you. I enjoy the stillness most other people find "boring", and I'm sure I am the kind of public Hal is trying to appeal to in this series.

Quote:
And the weird magic? I don't know where it's going and what it's doing in a slice of life story.
Slice of life != Real life. Can we please get that stupid idea out of the way? Aria is the epitome of a slice of life show and it has a frigging cat that's as smart as your average human.

(Besides, the show is called "The important things for mages").

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 12:17   Link #80
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I found this slide show of modified photo backgrounds very distracting from the story. Some will say "it's art". The ever-cynical SoL says: The archive they had simply wasn't compiled with the thought in mind that they should be useful as backgrounds for an anime.

Things will surely change optically once we're in the big city and hopefully for the better. This is one of the rare cases where I might drop a show because of the visual component".

I hope this won't become the new trend to reduce costs, seeing that Antique Bakery does something very similar (though with more skill IMHO).

Tags
slice of life